Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

if they weren't part of the MSQ they wouldn't carry their intended meaning. the whole point of the "test" is managing the tension between urgency and compassion and being willing to help others with their smaller problems even when it seems like a distraction. (this is made much more explicit in the DRK questline but that line wouldn't be anywhere near as good without this foundation building it up)

Okay but that can be conveyed in a much shorter quest line too. It’s a lot of time spent on sending one very specific message that is also being reiterated throughout all of the expansions.

Also, maybe it’s just me, but if there’s a world-threatening monster on the loose I think it’d be okay to ignore smaller problems for a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ARR's more languid quest structure was a combination of them needing to pad out the MSQ's runtime so that they'd have more time to develop and implement endgame activities post-launch and them not being entirely sure of how to structure a continuous narrative in an MMO. WoW had tried it on-and-off to mixed effect, but it was still a mostly zone-by-zone affair until MoP released, so they were largely flying blind in terms of pacing. The whole "earn the respect/trust of X people to proceed" bit comes up multiple times across the expansions as a convenient plot device, and it's clear from those cases that they learned how to better write and pace those sequences compared to the original Titan and corrupted crystal lines.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

This may be a long shot, but maybe one of you has enough ancient internet proto-MMO experience to know what I’m asking about:

Does anyone remember a really indie alpha MMO that I’m pretty sure was just one dude on a forum developing it, set entirely in different tiers of an underground city?

I don’t think the underground city was dwarves, maybe it was elves or dark elves or a completely new underground race. Fantasy, possibly post magic apocalypse vibes.

I’m curious if anyone knows what the hell I’m talking about and if it ever came to fruition, it probably ended up being an abandoned project like so many others but this is the first time I’ve thought about it in like, twenty years. Definitely at least that old.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Some sort of a dwarven fortress?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

that sounds like for sure Dwarf Fortress

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Because Pharos Sirius is a neat dungeon and a hilariously dark punchline to some 1.0 plot. The rest of that runaround can f off.

The fun thing is Pharos Sirius isn't even part of the MSQ, you just fight an instanced quest battle against the siren's minions and then the questgiver goes 'good job you scared her off hopefully we will never see her again'. The actual payoff is an optional dungeon later on.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
After seeing thing for the $48k space ship I got curious; How's Star Citizen these days?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

After seeing thing for the $48k space ship I got curious; How's Star Citizen these days?

its made basically no progress since its open alpha release 12 years ago.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

best thing about star citizen is all the paid shill creators making shill content on youtube AND the shill commentators leaving positive comments under said content

deleting all the negative comments should be a full time job too. god bless steve rogers for providing jobs to all these poor families

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

They are still trying to figure out how to make an uninstaller.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What is the best server to play Maple Story on?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

I said come in! posted:

Do not play maple story on anything but one of the reboot servers

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

I said come in! posted:

Seeing ads for Maple Story on Twitch in 2024 was certainly unexpected.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This game looks really cool! :eyepop:

https://ravendawn.online/en/

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

gwrtheyrn posted:

Do not play maple story

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
I had fun when I played maplestory back when it was relatively new. Whats wrong with modern maplestory?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

I am predicting an open pvp shitshow resulting the game collapsing into two guilds of 15 people each that craft in walled compounds forever.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They're not even trying not to look like Tibia, holy crap. I'd love this if it wasn't an MMO, cause you know that

30.5 Days posted:

I am predicting an open pvp shitshow resulting the game collapsing into two guilds of 15 people each that craft in walled compounds forever.

this is extremely likely.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

THE BAR posted:

I'd love this if it wasn't an MMO

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Ledgem posted:

I had fun when I played maplestory back when it was relatively new. Whats wrong with modern maplestory?

Force gaming put out a video the other day about how they slowly lowered drop rates on cash shop stuff, including making the best results impossible to get and lied to the everyone about it for years.

Doesn't seem like a good game.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

30.5 Days posted:

The lead dev was saying on stream that the PVP is opt-in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

its not forced pvp!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.pcgamer.com/nexon-fined-nearly-dollar9m-for-falsifying-loot-box-drop-rates/

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
drat. What a shame. 2d sidescroller platformer mmos are rare.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can still play maple story on servers without the cash shop lootbox stuff and it's a lot of fun imo

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Giving Ravendawn a shot, large queue but I got in after giving them a couple bucks for a month of patron.

If anyone else is giving it a shot and wants to use my referral link you get a few days of free Patron yourself so you can skip the queue.

https://ravendawn.online/?ref=cmjbq665i21hdt9jiod0

Edit: You get a dog, 10/10 no notes.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 16, 2024

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Unskippable tutorials and cutscenes, oh boy.

And they're just slathering you in levels, why even have them, then. Let me punch rats at my own pace!

I don't think this game is for me, ah well.

E:

And my first ability oneshot three monsters in a scripted attack, yeah, I'm done.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 16, 2024

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Unskippable tutorials and cutscenes, oh boy.

And they're just slathering you in levels, why even have them, then. Let me punch rats at my own pace!

I don't think this game is for me, ah well.

E:

And my first ability oneshot three monsters in a scripted attack, yeah, I'm done.

the way you describe it reminds me of those mobile games that give you a big hit of power early then present a brick wall designed to weaken your will into buying a hammer

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Did they reduce BGM volume? I usually have it maxed out to hear clearly above the game sound effects and it feels a lot more difficult to pick out.

Edit: wrong thread

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

as far as I can tell theres no bought power anywhere on their store, just cosmetics

I planted some potatoes and got through the mine sequence that teaches you how to craft, but they rebooted the servers.

I'm sure the game has a zillion issues but it has had one cutscene and that's between the initial tutorial and when you get to the mainland. I think that's a bit harsh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The queue is really nuts, so i'm gonna be patient for now and wait for the player numbers to dwindle. Most people quit Free to Play games really quickly, and this is just the first few hours of launch.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Noise Complaint posted:

as far as I can tell theres no bought power anywhere on their store, just cosmetics

I planted some potatoes and got through the mine sequence that teaches you how to craft, but they rebooted the servers.

I'm sure the game has a zillion issues but it has had one cutscene and that's between the initial tutorial and when you get to the mainland. I think that's a bit harsh.

Premium time cuts some chores down to size, but I don't think you can outright buy your way to gear or anything, no. Seems reasonable?

I have a very low tolerance to games playing themselves, so that's on me.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

At this point for people disappointed with modern MMOs that have a story focus and/or cutscenes (something that's been a while for a longass time, I'm thinking about stuff like Guild Wars 1 having full cutscenes and story and your character is voice acted) I'm not even sure what you're looking for.

Basically just a chatroom but with a 3D environment to stick your character in?
Gameplay? What's the specific gameplay you want that would keep you coming back?
Make number go up? Just the dopamine of working together in a group to see a message saying "your woodchopping is now level 63"?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Personally I don't have a problem with the story focus on a lot of MMOs. I just miss the very tenuous illusion that I was someone in another world, and not a character in a video game. I'm pretty sure it's just something I can't get back at 38 years old, but I'd at least like to see games try.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I didn't really know what to expect when trying out Ravendawn, but what I definitely was not expecting was "shameless archeage clone with the vertigo inducing cabinet projection of ultima 7". It all appears to be an extremely amateurish mess and I am absolutely charmed.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I don't understand why the graphics have to look like that, why is everything leaning over

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

bewilderment posted:

At this point for people disappointed with modern MMOs that have a story focus and/or cutscenes (something that's been a while for a longass time, I'm thinking about stuff like Guild Wars 1 having full cutscenes and story and your character is voice acted) I'm not even sure what you're looking for.

Basically just a chatroom but with a 3D environment to stick your character in?
Gameplay? What's the specific gameplay you want that would keep you coming back?
Make number go up? Just the dopamine of working together in a group to see a message saying "your woodchopping is now level 63"?

Mostly something a bit more freeform than this. I mean, they set that Tibia-precedence, where you very much had all the world to explore as you saw fit, figuring out good places to fight for your class/level/party composition.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

30.5 Days posted:

I don't understand why the graphics have to look like that, why is everything leaning over

It's a certain kind of retro gaming style, kinda like ultima 6 for snes, or warcraft 2

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's a certain kind of retro gaming style, kinda like ultima 6 for snes, or warcraft 2

30.5 Days posted:

Ultima 6 was a huge influence on

Tibia, which this game pays homage to. The forums are split into English/Portuguese/Polish, the latter two being absolutely huge groups in Tibia, so I can only assume this was all on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
warcraft1&2 was just sprites against background and never leaned like that, but yeah some ultimas were definitely like that

it's what happens when you want to give a 3D impression, but don't want to go full isometric and turn the world 45 degrees because it makes the tile grid annoying to work lol