Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Celexi posted:

lol no they won't

Having been sued over a car accident, the insurance company hired an expert witness to testify that my car bumper had not been replaced to cover up the severity of the accident and that it was the original bumper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Three Olives posted:

An insurance agent won't, an expert witness for the person suing you over a bad car accident will. And I'm betting there is a clause in your insurance contract saying that you have not/will not modify your car out of compliance with US regulations.

So how did this turn out.

I still think the “expert witness” would not know to look for this. If you’re an expert witness don’t read this post. Also if this kind of thing was relevant in court, I’d assume every chipped car (software chip and flash to improve performance) on the road that has likely been in a collision would also fall under this and we would have heard something by now.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 11, 2024

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

So how did this turn out.

I still think the “expert witness” would not know to look for this. If you’re an expert witness don’t read this post. Also if this kind of thing was relevant in court, I’d assume every chipped car (software chip and flash to improve performance) on the road that has likely been in a collision would also fall under this and we would have heard something by now.

Basic safety equipment, like say someone hit you and you had removed the reflectors off your car and put tinted headlights in.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Three Olives posted:

An insurance agent won't, an expert witness for the person suing you over a bad car accident will. And I'm betting there is a clause in your insurance contract saying that you have not/will not modify your car out of compliance with US regulations.

For me that sounds like very risky way to sue. What happens if the expert witness provides reason for your insurance company to drop you, who will pay for the reimbursement? Million dollars from an insurance company sounds much better than a couple million from an individual who doesn't have the money.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Aren’t most HID headlights and light bars not NTHSA approved for OEM installation? If that was a get out of paying damages free card for insurance companies there would be some articles or about it or something?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
In the same way that manufacturers cant deny your warranty claim on a faulty electric window because you have an aftermarket exhaust fitted, so it would be a tough call to sue someone for having EU-spec headlights unless the accident in question could be shown to be directly caused by those headlights.

I mean when i step outside i dont worry about being struck by lightning but maybe you do

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Aren’t most HID headlights and light bars not NTHSA approved for OEM installation? If that was a get out of paying damages free card for insurance companies there would be some articles or about it or something?

I think they’d have to be able to say the modification contributed directly to the accident.

Seems possible but I’ve never heard of it happening.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think they’d have to be able to say the modification contributed directly to the accident.

Seems possible but I’ve never heard of it happening.

Headlight glare is considered a major contributing factor to nighttime car accidents. I personally would not put myself in a situation where someone could find out I had intentionally and knowingly modified my headlights to no longer comply with federal headlight glare regulations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You wouldn't modify a smart toaster

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

Having been sued over a car accident, the insurance company hired an expert witness to testify that my car bumper had not been replaced to cover up the severity of the accident and that it was the original bumper.

They probably didn’t ODB2 into your cars computer to see whether the cars programming was stock though. And they never would.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

They probably didn’t ODB2 into your cars computer to see whether the cars programming was stock though. And they never would.

I bet they would if I coded in brake force display (legal in Europe, not the US), was rear ended in a serious car accident and the driver said they could didn't have time to react because my tail lights were acting weird and kept flashing, especially if the driver of the other car had a dash cam that conclusively showed my tail lights were malfunctioning.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Three Olives posted:

I bet they would if I coded in brake force display (legal in Europe, not the US), was rear ended in a serious car accident and the driver said they could didn't have time to react because my tail lights were acting weird and kept flashing, especially if the driver of the other car had a dash cam that conclusively showed my tail lights were malfunctioning.

I see people every day with that kind of brake lights.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

I bet they wouldn't, and that's not analagous to something as subtle as headlight pattern anyway.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

I bet they wouldn't, and that's not analagous to something as subtle as headlight pattern anyway.

I mean, do whatever you want, intentionally bringing your car out of compliance with the most basic NHTSA/DOT safety regulations seems spectacularly unwise, but whatever, put blue brake lights in if you feel like it.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

How good or bad of an idea would it be to buy one? I was taught to avoid retired rental cars in general as so many customers abuse them.

ROFLBOT posted:

In the same way that manufacturers cant deny your warranty claim on a faulty electric window because you have an aftermarket exhaust fitted, so it would be a tough call to sue someone for having EU-spec headlights unless the accident in question could be shown to be directly caused by those headlights.

And in this case, we're talking about a software modification, not hardware - I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that these expert witnesses don't typically go poking around cars' computers looking for that.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I would think an ex-rental EV would be a far safer bet than an ex-rental ICE car simply because there's far less to abuse on an EV - you cant smash the gears, overheat or overrev the engine etc etc

As long as a battery health check comes up fine, you would be ok

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Just antidotally, I made a small software change in my BMW before taking it in for routine service completely unrelated to the software change in question and got a call saying "Um, just checking, but your car is reporting a feature it is not supposed to have, any thoughts..."

Also, I don't know the feature set of insurance/police tools, but yes, module data is routinely pulled on cars for serious accident investigations. Would it really be that surprising for those systems to check for software misconfigurations?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I feel like with all the recalled Bolts being dumped onto the market there are a lot of people in the same boat as me. Basically, I don't know what my car's deal is. There's stuff I feel like the dealership would have told me if they sold it brand new, but the dealership selling it to me used didn't really know what was going on. I want there to be a "Welcome to your new used Bolt" video that some YouTuber has made that sort of explains it, because I feel like there's stuff I just don't understand but in a way where I can't even ask specific questions about it

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

There's stuff I feel like the dealership would have told me if they sold it brand new, but the dealership selling it to me used didn't really know what was going on.

:lol: The only thing they would have told you is you should sign up for a great discount on an oil change package they are offering and ask if you were absolutely sure before you signed the paperwork because they JUST got some new Trailblazers in that they think you should check out first.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

“My car came like this”

Come on now

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Three Olives posted:

:lol: The only thing they would have told you is you should sign up for a great discount on an oil change package they are offering and ask if you were absolutely sure before you signed the paperwork because they JUST got some new Trailblazers in that they think you should check out first.

They send me discounts on oil changes for the Bolt regularly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well if nothing else I'm sure they would have told me all the great benefits of an OnStar subscription.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I hacked my Leaf to turn the headlights off automatically, so I never had to touch the switch.

Fuckin' come get me GEICO attorneys :chord:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
youre going 2 get pulled over by a cop that will have the leaf software and a laptop after reading this thread and check ur coding, then u will get shipped to JAIL

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Elviscat posted:

I hacked my Leaf to turn the headlights off automatically, so I never had to touch the switch.

Fuckin' come get me GEICO attorneys :chord:

Right, but that is automatic headlights completely conform to US headlight regulations, the Polestar headlights matrix mode does not for a explicitly stated issue of public safety of a known major public safety issue, headlight glare.

I'm not saying the US is right on this, I am saying when it involves what is considered a road safety hazard, you really don't want to be blatantly and intentionally violating clear US federal regulations. I'm just going to go back to my blue brake lights analogy, you can buy them, apparently they are fairly commonly used on "show cars" and I'm willing to bet 99.99% of people when confronted with blue brake lights would perfectly understand that you are braking. Just today there was a car in front of me with their red filter broken off of their brake light and I was not confused at all about the fact that they were braking. I'm just saying if you do get rear-ended, you really, really, really don't want to have to explain why you installed blue tail lights in your $60k car.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Three Olives posted:

Headlight glare is considered a major contributing factor to nighttime car accidents. I personally would not put myself in a situation where someone could find out I had intentionally and knowingly modified my headlights to no longer comply with federal headlight glare regulations.

Exactly.

Like maybe at trial you get away with it and it's fine but do you really want your potential liability in an accident trial to turn on whether or not the other side's attorney can't convince a jury your weirdo auto hacks caused the accident?

It's not about actual fault it's about risk prevention.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Alternatively you could sail through life not worrying about the 100000000:1 chance that any of that happens, while every day basking in the glow of your clever hack

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Meanwhile there are 30 million pickups in the US that are violating headlight glare laws because they weren’t re aimed when they put a lift on them.

But sure, a change in headlights that wouldn’t ever contribute to an accident and even if it did no one would ever know and even if they knew they’d never be able to prove it in court is going to result in you getting made penniless after the smartest geico peon on the planet gets assigned your claim.

The chances of this happening are about the same as worrying that glare from your license plate frame is going to blind a pilot on approach and cause a 737 crash.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Don't forget all the coal rollers and dpf remove that are all over, thankss Washington state for removing emissions testing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Celexi posted:

Don't forget all the coal rollers and dpf remove that are all over, thankss Washington state for removing emissions testing.

this existed long before they got rid of testing

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

this existed long before they got rid of testing

there's way more of them now and people from oregon coming up here to get their cars "tunned" and egr/cat deleted

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
makes no sense why anyone would come up from oregon to wa for that...they're still stuck with their own testing regiment if their vehicle is registered in oregon.

the reason you see more is because nobody will ever take the car back to stock after this is done, poo poo is permanent and the next owner keeps doing the same poo poo the last guy did

anyway crush 90% of quarter/half ton trucks

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Considering how many people don’t have insurance where I drive I’m not remotely worried about theoretically modifying my headlights.

Also yes kill all trucks

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Franco Caution posted:

Curious to hear your thoughts on this after you've lived with it for a while.
I was looking at an X5 50e and saw an iX while at the dealership. I don't hate it as much in dark colors like yours.
I so wish they just made that powerplant in x5's looks.

It's been a few weeks, and I have a few complaints which pretty much sum up that we also wanted a X5 with the iX powertrain.
1. Doors are funky to open from the inside; it's the electric button rather than a mechanical lever (but unlike Tesla there are physical mechanical backups that are easily visible).
2. Frameless windows are neat but I always freak out a little bit when I see my wife push the door shut from the glass rather than from the door itself.
3. A coworker said that they wish that the iX had a trailer hitch and I agree. It was a deal breaker for them but not for me.

Otherwise the car is smooth and quiet and easy to drive. Charging at EA stations with plug and charge has been seamless so far while we wait for our electrician to install a level 2 plug. Sometimes when I drive the car it feels too nice for me to drive compared to my 3 series; the jump in 'luxury' is nuts.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Large truck drivers are by far the most obnoxious drivers on the road these days, not even close. People would go on about nutty bmw/audi drivers but I'd prefer them any day of the week. At least they don't bear down on you with their headlights directly through your rear window. Absolute psycho poo poo.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

You wouldn't modify a smart toaster

You wouldn't download a Russian Bear

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ROFLBOT posted:

Alternatively you could sail through life not worrying about the 100000000:1 chance that any of that happens, while every day basking in the glow of your clever hack

"Unregretted User-Minutes"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Do not modify your car to be out of spec with federal regulations regarding basic safety technology. I’m not saying that euro rules are not better or that the Polestar lights are not objectively better running on euro spec instead of US spec but it is a really good way to be properly hosed if you get into a car accident.

Don't listen to 3O, I turned my Polestar into a Technical and it feels like I'm living my best life now, 3O just hates fun

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s kinda impressive that so many posters are presumably in their 30s or 40s and still somehow have zero idea how insurance works but will definitely post authoritatively about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I work in the insurance industry and I still don’t know poo poo.