Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Inderdaad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

PainterofCrap posted:

When I was an American kid going to school in Switzerland, my German was coming along nicely for a couple years - the I saw something written in Dutch, and the first thought that hit me was that some wit was being funny by mixing German and English as a prank

The first time I visited the Netherlands and heard a couple speaking Dutch, I honestly thought they were English people speaking to each other in German. It was very confusing.

The strangest accent I’ve ever heard was on a TV interview with a German woman, who worked as an English teacher at a school in Wales. So she spoke fluent English, but with a really odd mix of German and Welsh accents.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

(The worst accent in the world is Scouse, and I know Scousers who hate it.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

accents are cool and there should be more of them

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

As a Dutch person who has an English uni degree, taught secondary school for a bit and lived in the UK for a year my accent is the weirdest mix of English, American and Dutch and it confuses even myself.

I can't stand the Dutch accent though. There's this great Rollercoaster Tycoon channel on youtube (Marcel Vos) that I just can't watch because his accent is so thick and grating, at least to me.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

A spanish friend of a friend learned his english in Glasgow, and my friend said the result was the ugliest accent combo he'd ever heard.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dutch (as spoken in the Netherlands, not so much Flanders) is remarkably similar to English in terms of pronunciation, but I'd still recognize a Dutch accent anywhere

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Now do Afrikaans

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

Where I lived in Japan we had a big Brazilian and Indian population and both accents sound great in Japanese, especially the latter. Combo accents are where it’s at for sure.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Malcolm is 1 for 2 with his kids and know where they both are, Charlie on the other hand clearly couldn't be trusted with the one child he had and can't be trusted with another life .

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Dutch is pretty bad but have you considered the following? Welsh is somehow worse.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Drone_Fragger posted:

Dutch is pretty bad but have you considered the following? Welsh is somehow worse.

I interpreted both of these as nicknames for the potential dog owners at first and lol'd

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Taeke posted:

As a Dutch person who has an English uni degree, taught secondary school for a bit and lived in the UK for a year my accent is the weirdest mix of English, American and Dutch and it confuses even myself.

I can't stand the Dutch accent though. There's this great Rollercoaster Tycoon channel on youtube (Marcel Vos) that I just can't watch because his accent is so thick and grating, at least to me.

Wat doe joe mien, de Duts eksent is not zo bet.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

boofhead posted:

the dutch don't care about my feelings, why should i care about theirs

The Dutch don’t care about anything. They’re a degenerate people.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Isn’t that the Danes?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

Come visit Norway, we have probably millions of regional accents, each harder to understand than the last.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

Isn’t that the Danes?

The Danes are all insane maniacs.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Well I guess we've arrived at this old thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Meatgrinder posted:

Well I guess we've arrived at this old thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

:lol:"Comments are turned off":lol:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

LifeSunDeath posted:

Shrocks and they stay on during sex

Shrexual Crocolate

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Drone_Fragger posted:

Bullshit. Welsh is fine.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Shrexual Crocolate

gently caress around and get a swamp gas fetish

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

https://youtu.be/vCbtp7-so7M?si=y49d0PPG7ISmO4JH

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

for fucks sake posted:

:lol:"Comments are turned off":lol:

I mean it's a re-upload from a sketch show, not their content. But also they've marked it as "for kids" for some reason, which automatically disables comments.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
Everything I know about the Dutch I learned from watching the Flodder movies.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DoomLazer posted:

Everything I know about the Dutch I learned from watching the Flodder movies.

*documentaries

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsDz-MTdNeE

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Wie is een goede jongen?*

I’ve never heard anyone speak phlegmish before.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok well this isn’t funny at all.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The dogs just got bad vibes

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Bullshit. Welsh is fine.

Are you English and afraid someone is watching?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

HenryEx posted:

I've found that proficiency in both English and German gets you like 98% there on translating any Dutch sentence with zero actual knowledge of the language. Odds are that any word that doesn't have a similar sounding one in English has one in German.

:hmmyes:

And my life is more entertained by it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stoatbringer posted:

The first time I visited the Netherlands and heard a couple speaking Dutch, I honestly thought they were English people speaking to each other in German. It was very confusing.

The strangest accent I’ve ever heard was on a TV interview with a German woman, who worked as an English teacher at a school in Wales. So she spoke fluent English, but with a really odd mix of German and Welsh accents.

Yngwie Malmsteen's accent(s) fly all over the place I've found. Sometimes he sounds kinda american, other times british and obviously sometimes he just plain sounds like he's speaking english with a swedish accent

Carthag Tuek posted:

Taeke posted:

That dude loving owns and you should be ashamed of yourself. It's like verbal ambien (it puts you to sleep, not that it makes u racist)

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Jan 12, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Groda posted:

Are you English and afraid someone is watching?

lol no

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgOq3ux4ayg

The General has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Jan 12, 2024

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I stayed at a backpackers with super short and skinny Asian bloke with a deep welsh accent. He was 100% first gen welsh and a ton of fun.

Big reactions when he first spoke to people

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

the worst accent is Maryland

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
"Clog wog" said a friend when bringing up his background.

:kstare:

:australia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

AlmightyBob posted:

the worst accent is Maryland

Baldimoore,hon!