Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AndrewP posted:

well they have to hire him now or they're gonna look like real assholes

They really don't have to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

AndrewP posted:

well they have to hire him now or they're gonna look like real assholes

the patriots, a team known for caring about looking like assholes

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

mcmagic posted:

They really don't have to do anything.

Oh okay

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Letting Bill go and leaving everything else the same would be such a Kraft thing to do. If you fire him then clean house you idiot

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It is so incredibly dumb if they make Mayo head coach because Bill is gonna take half the coaches with him. Mayo will struggle to fill out a complete staff just like Flores did.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Bill can take literally everyone and nothing of value will be lost

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Please Bill don't take....Joe Judge with you

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Nodoze posted:

If he comes to the Chargers bill can bring whoever the gently caress he wants

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

a neat cape posted:

If he comes to the Chargers bill can bring whoever the gently caress he wants

*monkey paw curls*

"Please welcome the new Offensive Coordinator of the Los Angeles Chargers: Matt Patricia!"

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It is so incredibly dumb if they make Mayo head coach because Bill is gonna take half the coaches with him. Mayo will struggle to fill out a complete staff just like Flores did.

Bill taking most of the pats staff feels like addition by subtraction

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Alternatively you get Josh McDaniels as OC but after a lacklustre start to the season he gets into Bill's ear about how Herbert just doesn't instill a winning culture in the team... but last season he encountered a QB that left him completely breathless. The Chargers then trade Justin Herbert for a QB that knows how to win and can teach worthless sad sack QBs under him how to actually throw The Ball well.

Your new Chargers QB is Tyson Bagent

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nodoze posted:

I've mostly agreed with your Billposts but it could be pretty disastrous if he drags the whole defensive staff with him to his next gig. And considering the brain trust is his literal son and Mayo who has been with NE since 2008, he could easily do that. There are some very solid pieces like Judon and Gozalez but what does this defense look like without Bill's wizardry for scheming random assholes into above average assholes?

We're all dreaming about the offensive upgrade which seems almost inevitable. But the defense will certainly take a hit as well

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It'll be tough, I assume there will be a frenzied bidding war for defensive mastermind steve belichick

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Whoa hey now don't forget the safeties coach Brian Belichick. The brain drain would be disastrous.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

On this day 10 years ago someone made this exact post about Kyle Shanahan.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Isn't someone going hard after Vrabel with Smith as his OC, kinda a no brainer at this point? I know the Smith meme's about using Bijan, Pitts and London but they made a pretty good tandem in Tennessee, seemingly out of nowhere.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I've mostly agreed with your Billposts but it could be pretty disastrous if he drags the whole defensive staff with him to his next gig. And considering the brain trust is his literal son and Mayo who has been with NE since 2008, he could easily do that. There are some very solid pieces like Judon and Gozalez but what does this defense look like without Bill's wizardry for scheming random assholes into above average assholes?

We're all dreaming about the offensive upgrade which seems almost inevitable. But the defense will certainly take a hit as well

The defense was a paper tiger, they pretty consistently the last few years from 2019 on would feast on bad teams and do nothing against good ones aside from the Chargers and the occasional Josh Allen stinker. Depending on who was running it in this scenario sure it could get worse, but do you really trust Bills kids without him there

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'd take a 3 year stint of Billy belichicks wild ride in philly.

What the worst defense you've ever seen in your life does to a motherfucker.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

I'd take a 3 year stint of Billy belichicks wild ride in philly.

What the worst defense you've ever seen in your life does to a motherfucker.

Good thing Matt Patricia is already there and waiting for him :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I'm agnostic on if Mayo can be a good head coach or not, but I get the feeling that he wants to do his own thing his way and won't try to be a Bill clone and just hire Bill's old cronies.

He'll crap the bed differently! :v:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

It just makes no sense to can Bill and leave everyone else in place as if they were totally not also complicit in the way things were. Basically that is just saying "no, it was all Bill everything else will be fine" which is uhhhh optimistic to say the least

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Belichick in Philly would be a disaster. It'd be a lot of fun to watch the chaos ensue, though.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1745800729757966447

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Rough gig, but probably the guy who wants it and is as right for the job as possible though.

It's gonna be all about coordinators and assistants though.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I'm conflicted because it'd be cool as hell to have more successful black coaches, but I also want new England to suffer through 1000 years of darkness.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The PatriotWay lives on! Hopefully Steve Belichick stays on as DC.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/dmrussini/status/1745804978390790533?s=46

gonna be funny if this doesn’t work

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Twenty-one of Belichick's assistant coaches have become NFL or NCAA head coaches (not including interim tenures):

Rod Dowhower, Vanderbilt (1995–1996)[159]
Nick Saban, Michigan State (1995–1999), LSU (2001–2004), Miami Dolphins (2005–2006), Alabama (2007–2023)[160]
Pat Hill, Fresno State (1997–2011)[161]
Woody Widenhofer, Vanderbilt (1997–2001)[162]
Kirk Ferentz, Iowa (1999–present)[163]
Al Groh, New York Jets (2000), Virginia (2001–2009)[164]
Romeo Crennel, Cleveland Browns (2005–2008), Kansas City Chiefs (2011–2012)[165]
Charlie Weis, Notre Dame (2005–2009), Kansas (2012–2014)[166]
Eric Mangini, New York Jets (2006–2008), Cleveland Browns (2009–2010)[167]
Josh McDaniels, Denver Broncos (2009–2010), Las Vegas Raiders (2022–2023)[168]
Jim Schwartz, Detroit Lions (2009–2013)[169]
Dewayne Walker, New Mexico State (2009–2013)[170]
Pete Mangurian, Columbia (2012–2014)[171]
Bill O'Brien, Penn State (2012–2013), Houston Texans (2014–2020)[172]
Matt Patricia, Detroit Lions (2018–2020)[173]
Brian Flores, Miami Dolphins (2019–2021)[174]
Joe Judge, New York Giants, (2020–2021)[175]
Bret Bielema, Illinois (2021–present)[176]
Jedd Fisch, Arizona (2021–present)[177]
Brian Daboll, New York Giants (2022–present)[178]
Jerod Mayo, New England Patriots (2024-present)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
It really sounds like Mayo was the plan for a while for it to have happened this quickly

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Think we found out what was killing the plans to trade Vrabel away.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

It’s so crazy that teams keep doing this. It costs you nothing at all to talk to these other candidates, and you may find out they’re actually way better than whatever internal solution you already had in your back pocket.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i thought jared mayo was the quarterback of the tennessee titans

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Mike N Eich posted:

It’s so crazy that teams keep doing this. It costs you nothing at all to talk to these other candidates, and you may find out they’re actually way better than whatever internal solution you already had in your back pocket.

they gotta pay to fly these guys in though. and treat them to lunch. that's several hundred dollars, minimum

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

New England is the guy who gets divorced and then remarried where his new wife looks exactly like his ex-wife.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

Robert Kraft is old and didn’t feel like doing all that poo poo. I get it

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

i thought jared mayo was the quarterback of the tennessee titans

That would be Billy Blue Jeans sponsored by Hellmann's

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I mean the odds the Pats smoothly transitioned out of the Brady/Belichick eta were basically zero all along.

This is all vibes but Mayo seems like less of a copycat loving rear end in a top hat than most of Bill's flunkies, which probably helps. My guess is if the GM is an internal guy, it's whoever Bill kept overriding to take Tyquan Thornton and a bunch of defense & special teams scrubs.

If it flops I expect it to be differently stupid than 2019-2023 Belichick.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Shinji2015 posted:

It really sounds like Mayo was the plan for a while for it to have happened this quickly

There have been a lot of breadcrumbs leading up to this decision. Lots of rumors and they paid him some ungodly sum of money a year or two ago to stay with the team in his current role rather than pursue a promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

sean10mm posted:

I mean the odds the Pats smoothly transitioned out of the Brady/Belichick eta were basically zero all along.

This is all vibes but Mayo seems like less of a copycat loving rear end in a top hat than most of Bill's flunkies, which probably helps. My guess is if the GM is an internal guy, it's whoever Bill kept overriding to take Tyquan Thornton and a bunch of defense & special teams scrubs.

If it flops I expect it to be differently stupid than 2019-2023 Belichick.

No one in the building should get the benefit of the doubt for Bill overruling them, bring in someone from the outside.