Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Motronic posted:

Does nzbget unpack during downloads? That could be a huge difference. I don't know the exact criteria required because it doesn't happen on every dopwnload, but more than half the time that's how sab does it in my setup and you can definitely see the disk i/o and cpu hit.

Nzbget definitely has an unpack stage after the download completes. It will typically start downloading the next in queue while all of the file operations take place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dyscrasia posted:

Nzbget definitely has an unpack stage after the download completes. It will typically start downloading the next in queue while all of the file operations take place.

Yeah, I wasn't really clear there.....I'm talking about unpacking the file while it's downloading it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I wasn't really clear there.....I'm talking about unpacking the file while it's downloading it.

It can unpack while downloading. NZBGet also never mishandles obfuscated downloads for me, but I use decent NZB indexers.

On a lark, I did try switching back to SAB (I used it for a long time when it was new). It was great, but I still just preferred Get.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Motronic posted:

I understood. I do see an option to unpack during download though, as mentioned above.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dyscrasia posted:

I understood. I do see an option to unpack during download though, as mentioned above.

I've go not horse in this race, but my point is: are you comparing sab while its unpacking during downloading the file with something that is not doing this? Because that would explain your "performant" comment. And if it's an option it sounds like one you haven't turned on, where on sab it's a default at least in my distro/repo.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Absolutely fair. I've not retried SAB for years now. I'm sure plenty has changed.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

Why look at it ever unless you're adding/removing a provider? I do almost all my manual searches through Prowlarr and in the rare event I actually download as .nzb file I just stick it in a folder SAB is watching and it picks it up in a few seconds.

I don't, I'm just saying I don't love the interface. Prowlarr is the only provider setup in my sab but from time to time I will use it to grab something other than media that I've generated an nzb for from easynews' fantastic search function.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Is anybody having issues with constantly exceeding the API limit on dognzb over the last week? I disabled pretty much every monitored item and I'm still perpetually over the limit.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Nohearum posted:

Is anybody having issues with constantly exceeding the API limit on dognzb over the last week? I disabled pretty much every monitored item and I'm still perpetually over the limit.

Are you using Prowlarr or NZBHydra? You can set API limits in there.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Are you using Prowlarr or NZBHydra? You can set API limits in there.

I'll double check those, thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I happened to glance the Total Grabs count on my indexer and saw it was at 42069, and assumed the function must be broken and they just used a gag internet number, but an hour later it increased. This even tops the day the car odometer hit 80085. I think I’ve noticed that number about 5 times ever as I’m never in the profile page.

That is all.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

So is NZBGet "better"? I went with SABnzbd because that's what's in the OP, but half the fun is tinkering.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've been using SABnzbd since I've started self-hosting stuff ~4 years ago and haven't had any issues with it :shrug:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rap Game Goku posted:

So is NZBGet "better"? I went with SABnzbd because that's what's in the OP, but half the fun is tinkering.

It's not necessarily that one is better than the other, more that if one gives you issues there is another client that you can use instead.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Don't get me wrong SAB is fine, good even, I just think it's ugly and don't like using it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I use it but all interaction is done from the *arrs via API so I never have to really "use" it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Most importantly, they've both gotten to the point where both are good enough. Even the people who have bad experiences with one or the other are usually "I can only download 200 mpbs* instead of 500 mpbs*" which is a huge difference, but 200 mbps is still very fast.

*all numbers pulled directly from my rear end

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
When was SAB released? I feel like I've been using it for over a decade.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

prom candy posted:

When was SAB released? I feel like I've been using it for over a decade.

Pretty sure I was using it back in 04 which seems insane to me

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

EC posted:

Pretty sure I was using it back in 04 which seems insane to me

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Like I think I have memories of using it in 2006 but I'm not sure if it was a similar piece of software doing the same job. Back in the days of running XBMC on an actual Xbox hooked up to a CRT.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm pretty sure I was using it in '07

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, I'm sure NZBget was great and I've always heard good things, I've just always used SAB and never tried NZBget because in multiple installs, I've never had a problem with SAB.

In the process of looking at things this morning, though, I did discover that while my NAS install of SAB is current, my PC's is two and a half years out of date, lol. Fixing that.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I used to use CouchPotato. Forget why I switched (probably dead project) to NZBget, but then I went to SAB. Now i'm back to NZBget

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Aware posted:

Don't get me wrong SAB is fine, good even, I just think it's ugly and don't like using it.

I've been using sab for almost 15 years I think. Back before I moved everything to docker I had the plush UI in it. Then one day I updated cause I was super out of date and I found out that UI wasn't updated anymore and I hated the default so much.

These days everything is fully automated and the only time I open sab is to check history to see if something failed when it's not where I expect it to be so I don't care what it looks like

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

deong posted:

I used to use CouchPotato. Forget why I switched (probably dead project) to NZBget, but then I went to SAB. Now i'm back to NZBget

Wasn't CouchPotato a radarr alternative? I think I used to use that and definitely Sickbeard.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
No matter if you use SAB or get please just make sure that what you are using is actively maintained, at least from a security perspective.

You don't want, say, a malformed linux iso nzb to allow someone to get a foothold because the software has a vulnerability there or something (I have no specific examples, but it only takes once to have a very bad time)

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 16, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rap Game Goku posted:

I haven’t been able to get SAB to saturate despite using the same config and infra as Get. I suspect that it may be using the HDD to cache instead of RAM but I could be wrong. They’re just slightly different approaches to the same problem.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Warbird posted:

I haven’t been able to get SAB to saturate despite using the same config and infra as Get. I suspect that it may be using the HDD to cache instead of RAM but I could be wrong. They’re just slightly different approaches to the same problem.

There's an "Article Cache Limit" setting in SAB that sets how much RAM can be taken up as cache.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I had that set to whatever TRASH recommends but it couldn’t hurt to juice it.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
There was definitely a stage around 5ish years back where NZBget was better at maxing out a fast connection but they're much the same these days.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Is there some reason I should care about the Sonarr v4 upgrade aside from it being new and shiny?

I don't really have any complaints about v3 at the moment.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It replaced one of my favorite features with one I have to learn from scratch it seems, so there’s that.

(The one where you can apply values to things in file names ie .AMZN. Is ranked higher than .HULU. etc. it still seems to work from what I can tell, but all the labeling is completely wrong and I’m afraid to touch anything yet).

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

rufius posted:

Is there some reason I should care about the Sonarr v4 upgrade aside from it being new and shiny?

I don't think there's any immediate reason to switch if v3 is working well for you, but you'll probably want to move off eventually as v3 won't get any more updates.

V4's changelog already claims it has added hundreds of parsing improvements. The big change in v4 is moving to "Custom Formats" instead of "Preferred Words". It's basically copying radarr's methodology. Custom formats to me seem a lot more complex to deal with yourself but offer more flexibility. Using Trash's guides makes it pretty manageable.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Ok cool - then I'll do it at my own pace some time in the next few months and not worry about it.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I setup Notifiarr to sync TRaSH guides to both Sonarr and Radarr and it’s been helpful with preferred formats, groups, sizes, etc.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Upgrading to the .NET version of *arrs does make further updates more annoying on FreeBSD, as you can't update through the apps themselves anymore and are at the mercy of waiting for those updates to hit the BSD packages. For Prowlarr I was several versions behind and ended up manually downloading the package and just replacing my current install with the new files. Seems to be working OK so far but it's a pain to have to keep up with for a half dozen different apps.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

rufius posted:

The custom formats or profiles or whatever was the selling point for me. After upgrading my sound system, I’ve been trying to replace my stuff with Atmos/TrueHD encodes.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Takes No Damage posted:

Upgrading to the .NET version of *arrs does make further updates more annoying on FreeBSD, as you can't update through the apps themselves anymore and are at the mercy of waiting for those updates to hit the BSD packages. For Prowlarr I was several versions behind and ended up manually downloading the package and just replacing my current install with the new files. Seems to be working OK so far but it's a pain to have to keep up with for a half dozen different apps.

Are you using 'latest' or 'quarterly' (the default) for your pkg repo?
I found that latest is generally pretty up to date and things rarely go boom with it, especially in a jail.

I worked out this when I prodded one of the *arr port maintainers bout something, and this turned out to be my problem.

If you want to be really bleeding edge you can also set up your own PKG builds for things and have them kept up to date with the ports tree, then you don't have to wait for the PKG builds to get through their multi-day backlogs when things like Firefox get updated.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

norp posted:

Are you using 'latest' or 'quarterly' (the default) for your pkg repo?
I found that latest is generally pretty up to date and things rarely go boom with it, especially in a jail.

I worked out this when I prodded one of the *arr port maintainers bout something, and this turned out to be my problem.

Hey that's a good question. It's part of the install instructions on the Bazarr wiki, and when I upgraded all my jails to 13.1 I had to make the same change for Sonarr so pkg would pull v4 instead of trying to reinstall v3, I bet Prowlarr will be the same way.

e:
Yuuup

e2:
Actually that's still not quite it, changing quarterly to latest lets pkg find 1.11 instead of just 1.10, but I can manually download 1.12 and drop it into /prowlarr/bin to get things upgraded one step further. Touching computers is fun.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
1.12 was only merged to the ports tree two days ago, so that tracks