Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's weird to me that it's literally the first time this was ever an issue for me. Coworkers said it's been a constant struggle in the smartphone era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

It's weird to me that it's literally the first time this was ever an issue for me. Coworkers said it's been a constant struggle in the smartphone era.

I honestly noticed it more with 3.5mm jacks, where I'd go to use headphones and have to try to twist the plug to a position where it made full contact because of how much lint got in there. Then I got used to the USB port being occupied by the end of a wireless charging adapter, so when I got a phone that actually was built to do wireless charging the USB port just felt naked.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Motorola was always hit or miss with the software updates. I had a Droid X2 back in the day that received a bad update and got constant bootloops. It was known issue and I eventually convinced Verizon to exchange the phone for a Droid 3 over.

Despite that, I was still a Motorola loyalist because the hardware was so solid, miles above everyone else at that timeframe besides maybe Apple. Droid>Droid X2>Droid 3 > Motrola RAZR M> Moto G > Moto X 2016 was roughly my journey through Android until I got a Pixel 2 XL.

That Moto G was probably the worst phone I've ever owned. When first purchased, it ran 4.4 which was fine. It was a Moto G so it definitely wasn't a powerhouse, but it got the job done and the battery was great. For a poor college student living off student loans and a part time retail job, it was good! Then they updated it to 5.0 and it clearly could not handle it. Apps just would not load. Could not use Maps navigation and play music at the same time, because it would run out of memory and kill the music in the background. All sorts of issues. It became an absolute miserable experience.

drat shame. The Moto X was mostly fine though.

Android 5.0 killed a lot of phones back in the days. I had to resort to CFW on my Galaxy S4 because samsung was awful at software these days. Even a lot of Nexus 5 ran awfully with 5.0 fortunately janitoring a phone these days was worth it.

Funnily enough I still have my Moto G 2013 with Android 5.0.1 and works well, slow as hell compared to anything new but hey.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
e: Sorry problem fixed itself(?)

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 11, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm having kind of a weird issue.

I went to change my phone's wallpaper for the first time in literally years - it's always just transfered over with the Samsung transfer tool.

However, the image is noticeably more dim/dull when set as the wallpaper compared to when I'm in the wallpaper settings picking which to use.

It does come across in screenshots:

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Is dark mode on? Search settings for dim wallpaper when dark mode is on and turn it off and see if that helps

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Resdfru posted:

Is dark mode on? Search settings for dim wallpaper when dark mode is on and turn it off and see if that helps

Looks like that was it!

A setting that I had no idea existed, and actually wasn't under Dark Mode Settings, but rather under Wallpaper settings. :v:

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Is Galaxy Unpacked just about the s24 or is anything else likely to be announced?

How about CES, anything useful other than see through matrix screens and lovely star wars football robots?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's been rumors floating around about a Smart Ring as well, but I don't know if it's going to make it or not.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Never heard of Smart Rings. We truly live in the future!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
For too long, people have been crying out 'No ring!' 'You forgot the ring!' Well, not any more. With Spreadr,

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

JamesieAB posted:

Never heard of Smart Rings. We truly live in the future!

You haven't heard of the Oura Ring before? That one has been out for quite a while.

Smart Rings were apparently this year's big thing at CES.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/12/24034978/smart-ring-oura-ring-evie-ring-zepp-helio-ces-2024

Samsung is going to feel dumb if they delayed their product and aren't launching it with unpacked given the market rush that's happening.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Can my Smart Ring auto turn off my phone notifications when I am masturbating

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smoobles posted:

Or at least start aggressively vibrating

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

smoobles posted:

You'll need the optional Smart Ring Plug for that.

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 12, 2024

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

am I just dumb as poo poo because I can't find where the settings are in this new play store

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That doesn't look right to me, there should be a notification bell and then your user profile picture to the right of the search bar. Touching the user profile will give you the option to go to settings.

Are you maybe not signed into your Google account?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Are there any decent hardware review sites/yt channels out there? Most seem to be top 'n' fluff.

I am currently looking for a fast durable 512gb/1tb usb c stick to use with my android tablet and phone for backups and transfers.

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 12, 2024

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm really happy with an actual ssd in a third party enclosure. They can be fairly compact these days with the stick form factor. You don't know what kind of flash memory is in a regular USB stick, even if you dodge the fakes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm really happy with an actual ssd in a third party enclosure.

Yeah, after Sandisk's debacle, this is the direction I'm going from now on.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
For that I use a Samsung 2 TB portable ssd I got for 100 bucks, and it's been rock solid in the year I've used it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

JamesieAB posted:

Are there any decent hardware review sites/yt channels out there? Most seem to be top 'n' fluff.

I am currently looking for a fast durable 512gb/1tb usb c stick to use with my android tablet and phone for backups and transfers.

I have a 2TB Samsung T7 Shield. It's pretty portable, but not really a stick.

It's USB C and wicked fast, though. Probably NVMe inside.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

I have a 2TB Samsung T7 Shield. It's pretty portable, but not really a stick.

It's USB C and wicked fast, though. Probably NVMe inside.

Thanks, Is it this model?
https://www.samsung.com/uk/memory-storage/portable-ssd/t7-shield-1tb-blue-external-storage-nvme-1050-mbs-mu-pe1t0r-eu/#benefits

The reason I wanted a usb stick was the small form factor would easily fit in my wallet pocket (3x3 inches), but it looks the shield would fit in there with the cable detatched.

Can anyone recommend a small usb-c enclosure (possibly stick form factor)/nvme combo that is high performance and is cheaper than the samsung shield?

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 13, 2024

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've got this Orico enclosure. No complaints, but also didn't benchmark or anything. I don't particularly know about drives. There's an ssd thread in sh/sc that can tell you if a drive you find in your particular locale at an interesting price is worth entertaining. You're probably not going to save yourself more than 10-15-ish pounds if any at all though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

JamesieAB posted:

Thanks, Is it this model?
https://www.samsung.com/uk/memory-storage/portable-ssd/t7-shield-1tb-blue-external-storage-nvme-1050-mbs-mu-pe1t0r-eu/#benefits

The reason I wanted a usb stick was the small form factor would easily fit in my wallet pocket (3x3 inches), but it looks the shield would fit in there with the cable detatched.

Can anyone recommend a small usb-c enclosure (possibly stick form factor)/nvme combo that is high performance and is cheaper than the samsung shield?

Pretty much. Mine is 2TB and beige, but yeah.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, after Sandisk's debacle, this is the direction I'm going from now on.

What was the Sandisk debacle? I missed this.

Are there any reliable usb c stick makers?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

JamesieAB posted:

What was the Sandisk debacle? I missed this.

Are there any reliable usb c stick makers?

Pretty much all of their portable SSDs are flawed and stand a risk of losing all data.

They tried to claim it was only a small number of serials and was fixed in a firmware update, but it was pretty much lies. I had a 2tb model that they said was “fine” die like the others.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Was it just ssd's?

I have "Sandisk Extreme PRO 32gb SD cards" for my camera and a "SanDisk Extreme PRO SD UHS-II USB-C Card Reader" to transfer files to my tablet/phone.

I have only had one read error in the year since I got them and that doesn't seem too bad to me

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Another couple of questions.

I've just noticed that Samsung 512gb sd cards are only around £31 each. Would it be a terrible idea to use my sd card reader to make backups of my tablet and phone to these?

What is the difference between the evo plus and evo select? They seem to have the same specs.

Are there better/cheaper choices I should look at over Samsung?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

JamesieAB posted:

Another couple of questions.

I've just noticed that Samsung 512gb sd cards are only around £31 each. Would it be a terrible idea to use my sd card reader to make backups of my tablet and phone to these?

What is the difference between the evo plus and evo select? They seem to have the same specs.

Are there better/cheaper choices I should look at over Samsung?
Evo Plus and Evo Select are identical, it's just that Evo Select is an Amazon exclusive

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to setup a phone with a drive letter when connected to a computer? I have an S23 Ultra, and I can transfer files back and forth easy enough......but I want to be able to use a backup program so I can easily update my music library. Problem is that Backup4All doesn't recognize the phone when the computer simply recognizes it as a media device.

For anyone interested.....AndroidDrive works like a charm. I didn't even need to do any setup beyond installing the programs and turning on USB debugging which took all of like five minutes total. Plugged in my phone and it showed up as my D: drive.

https://github.com/GustavLindberg99/AndroidDrive?tab=readme-ov-file

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
welp I got a zenfone 10 and so far I think I hate it.

Physically it is much thicker than this pixel 5 and the textured back feels cheap. The whole thing feels kind of cheap even though it certainly wasn't (lol?). The width of the bezel makes it seem like a much older model device. From the pixel 5 I am used to tapping menu buttons at the very bottom edge of tbe device/screen but when my muscle memory does this on the zenfone there is no response because I'm tapping the bezel, not the screen. lol

The software I guess is okay? It feels like an older android with a few gimmicky extras that I am still trying to disable. I guess I just want it to work like a pixel which I know is not fair.

I just wanted something small like the pixel 5 (that still gets updates!) with a pixel-like experience. The pixel 8 is the obvious choice but it isn't so small and I really don't like the camera bar bump. But if the alternative is this fat rear end zenfone then maybe the camera bar is good enough.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

other people posted:

From the pixel 5 I am used to tapping menu buttons at the very bottom edge of tbe device/screen but when my muscle memory does this on the zenfone there is no response because I'm tapping the bezel, not the screen. lol

I briefly owned a Zenfone 10 before I shattered it and collected on the insurance policy, but I've got a solution for this specific thing:

You can stretch out or shrink the keyboard height in your settings. I don't remember what I settled on exactly, but I managed to pick a keyboard height that fooled my muscle memory into thinking it was a Pixel 5.

No problems typing after that, until I conveniently destroyed the phone and got an insurance payout and bought a Pixel 8 Pro.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

other people posted:

welp I got a zenfone 10 and so far I think I hate it.

Physically it is much thicker than this pixel 5 and the textured back feels cheap. The whole thing feels kind of cheap even though it certainly wasn't (lol?). The width of the bezel makes it seem like a much older model device. From the pixel 5 I am used to tapping menu buttons at the very bottom edge of tbe device/screen but when my muscle memory does this on the zenfone there is no response because I'm tapping the bezel, not the screen. lol

The software I guess is okay? It feels like an older android with a few gimmicky extras that I am still trying to disable. I guess I just want it to work like a pixel which I know is not fair.

I just wanted something small like the pixel 5 (that still gets updates!) with a pixel-like experience. The pixel 8 is the obvious choice but it isn't so small and I really don't like the camera bar bump. But if the alternative is this fat rear end zenfone then maybe the camera bar is good enough.

Size-wise they are pretty close: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Google-Pixel-5,Google-Pixel-8/phones/11394,12143

I've said it before, but I actually like the camera bump - I vastly prefer to having the back of the phone be asymmetrical due to having an offset island for the camera stuff. Also, throwing even a thin case on one of the newer pixels makes the back feel much more flat, and improves grip on the phone. I got my partner a clear hybrid Spigen case for her Pixel 8 Pro, and she really took to it. I have a Spigen Liquid Air on my Pixel 6, and it kind of disappears and makes the phone dimensions feel much more uniform.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It is a travesty that there's no good phones in the Pixel 5 form factor, it was perfect.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I dunno. I originally used the same site to glance at the size comparison between the pixel 5 and zenfone 10 and I guess without zooming in I didn't appreciate the fatness of the zenfone compared to the pixel 5.

Now throwing the pixel 8 in there and it's main body depth is inbetween the others but the lol camera bump makes it basically 50% thicker than the pixel 5 which is a joke imho.

My beautiful wife has a pixel 6 and it is a giant with or without the bump. Definitely the 8 is better sized but still too big :colbert:

Now I am looking the xperia 5 V and IV. I used to have an xperia and it is still my favorite style but man they are so expensive...

I'll probably just end up with the pixel 8.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The 6a camera bar bump is barely anything.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

other people posted:

I dunno. I originally used the same site to glance at the size comparison between the pixel 5 and zenfone 10 and I guess without zooming in I didn't appreciate the fatness of the zenfone compared to the pixel 5.

Now throwing the pixel 8 in there and it's main body depth is inbetween the others but the lol camera bump makes it basically 50% thicker than the pixel 5 which is a joke imho.

My beautiful wife has a pixel 6 and it is a giant with or without the bump. Definitely the 8 is better sized but still too big :colbert:

Now I am looking the xperia 5 V and IV. I used to have an xperia and it is still my favorite style but man they are so expensive...

I'll probably just end up with the pixel 8.

Can I interest you in the 1 V I have listed on Swappa?

Just remembered you're in Europe. Gonna be cheaper to buy local than for me to ship something from freedumbland

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 14, 2024

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

smoobles posted:

It is a travesty that there's no good phones in the Pixel 5 form factor, it was perfect.

The pixel 8 is just a touch taller and has the camera bar, but the most important feeling part of the width is like identical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Pixel 8 feels small enough to even use a case on it.