Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Something that got way shittier for no good reason: The A.V Club. Once a wonderful place to get all the proper opinions about stuff that you could then parrot in a social situation, once full of amazing writing talent, now it's just a shell. Greed and stupidity are reasons why things happen, just not good reasons. I've actually got kind of upset writing this post, I used to love that drat website

Same. Loved that site. Were they related to Deadspin and Gawker too? I have this recollection they were all under the same umbrella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

redshirt posted:

Same. Loved that site. Were they related to Deadspin and Gawker too? I have this recollection they were all under the same umbrella.

no it's part of the onion

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Weirdly enough, trash bags. Used to be I could buy whatever kitchen trash bag and it didn't matter, they all worked basically the same. Now it's a gamble if I accidentally grab the wrong bag on whether the bag will just slip off the trash can entirely, rip despite having nothing sharp in it, or just not fit the trash can (despite being labeled the same size as the ones that do)

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I complained about trash bags no longer fitting my kitchen trash can anymore earlier, I've since tried a different brand and they're half the diameter of the trash can but like five feet long. :confused:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It used to be so hard to find trash bags that would fit my 5-foot-tall by 1-foot-diameter trash can.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

thathonkey posted:

no it's part of the onion

But the same basic thing happened to the AV Club: purchased, immediately gutted, and then repeatedly chopped away to make sure that nothing of value was left. I wouldn't be surprised if they've got AI writing articles now, but I'm not going to that blighted wasteland to check.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Quote-Unquote posted:

I can't understand why these zoom/stretch features even exist. They've been around for decades, sure, but why? They have no purpose other than making the image look weird or cutting part of it off. It's like how I grew up with a 4:3 pan and scan copy of Ghostbusters so it wasn't until I bought the DVD that I actually saw a good chunk of the visual gags in the film (the elevator scene, Egon giving Venkman hand signals etc.)

Frame smoothing I can kinda understand. It can actually look pretty good for sports and even some nature documentaries. But it's horrible for literally everything else but it is on by default on almost every TV made in the last 15 years.

Professor Shark posted:

Growing up my friend’s dad was really offended by letterbox because he spent a lot of money to ensure he had the largest tv in the neighborhood and letterbox made it smaller

Even as a kid I found the obsession with size weird

wash bucket posted:

Some (old) people just hate it when their TV screen isn't "filled up".

Mulaney Power Move posted:

THE PICTURE IS TOO SMALL YOU BROKE THE TV

its this. I worked for The Good Guys circa 1997 or so, just as DVDs and :airquote: high definition :airquote: TVs were coming out. The idea of different resolutions meant literally nothing to Boomers (I'm going to restate this in brackets for emphasis - the idea of an aspect ratio was literally meaningless to them); just an endless stream of pissed off old dudes returning TVs because they couldn't "see the whole loving TV they paid for"

realizing that Boomers were spending thousands of dollars on a television that they weren't watching was a real :psyduck:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pomme de Terror posted:

Weirdly enough, trash bags. Used to be I could buy whatever kitchen trash bag and it didn't matter, they all worked basically the same. Now it's a gamble if I accidentally grab the wrong bag on whether the bag will just slip off the trash can entirely, rip despite having nothing sharp in it, or just not fit the trash can (despite being labeled the same size as the ones that do)

Illegal lifehack: If you're ever at a local Walmart or big box store and you like the look of the garbage bag they have in there, take it out and there's probably a whole roll of them at the bottom of the can. Basically every chain store works like this, and they're usually pretty decent quality, too.

The first time I did it this I was in the cafeteria at college and there was an apocalyptic rainstorm out of nowhere, so I improvised a poncho out of one of the bags in the can, now I just do it to stick it to the man.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

withak posted:

It used to be so hard to find trash bags that would fit my 5-foot-tall by 1-foot-diameter trash can.

Large adult bin

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

av club is part of g/o media along with all the old gawker stuff, deadspin, kotaku, etc

they absolutely are doing ai articles now lol

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/ai-articles-disinformation-future-g-o-media-rcna95944

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

had some amazon packages go to another apartment in my unit, they have taken them inside and are not answering. went to amazon and hit the I didn’t receive my package button and got the message “thank you for your feedback!” with no other options

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

Why's it the wrong horse?

I too bet on this horse and I'm not exactly happy with the results either.

Honestly everything about the industry sucks and I'm watching it all get worse. Certs are right back to being the joke they were in the late oughts, but this time we have to recertify annually *and* learn to the test since half the information is out of date by the time a test is published due to the patching cadence MS has adopted. That plus all the paper tigers in the industry means you never really get to fill your titled role, so you can't meaningfully plan a career. This makes applying and interviewing for positions a shitshow, since you don't often have the skills or competencies that your title path implies due to never being allowed to actually work your titles.

On top of that Windows 11 is a piece of poo poo, so we're back to a divided environment where any given group might be running 10 and Server 19 or 11 and Server 22 or some bastard hybrid of the four. Feels like I'm back in 2012 keeping 7 and 2008R2 alive in an 8/2012 world. That was a poo poo show and fragmented the industry for half a decade, this is the exact same and is predictably fragmenting the industry again and Microsoft simply does not care. We're not getting our stability and reliability back, we're gonna deal with quarterly feature updates we can barely control 'til they find a somehow worse patch model to migrate to. I had more and better version control managing student iPads in an education environment than I do now with a loving fleet of desktops, it's pathetic.

Every role I've had in the last 8 years has been a lie. Most recently I was Technical/QA Lead but my actual job duties were mostly training a high-turnover help desk. I'm sick of all my jobs being traps. I'm sick of recruiters who lie on my behalf so I can frustrate interviewers. I'm sick of not being able to do a single drat part of my titled role for ever a few hours a week. I'm sick of doing 8-10 hours of work outside work every week just so the titles on my resume reflect things I can actually do. I believed in 2012 and got through the bullshit then, but now we're all back in it but worse. Now the only thing I believe is that the industry is a scam built on lies.

I'm leaving for industrial automation where the certifications are for hardware rather than software and diagnostics are done with a multimeter. The pay is better, the unions exist, and the tech has been essentially unchanged since the 60s. I wish anyone who's staying on this sinking ship the very best, but my time has come.

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
Just a note to fellow AVClub mourners: there's a post-Kinjapocalypse (the first big enshittification event) diaspora of sorts at the-avocado.org. Volunteers write reviews and stuff and a lot of the old commentariat still posts. It's slower than the AVClub was but the vibes are good.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Honestly everything about the industry sucks and I'm watching it all get worse. Certs are right back to being the joke they were in the late oughts, but this time we have to recertify annually *and* learn to the test since half the information is out of date by the time a test is published due to the patching cadence MS has adopted. That plus all the paper tigers in the industry means you never really get to fill your titled role, so you can't meaningfully plan a career. This makes applying and interviewing for positions a shitshow, since you don't often have the skills or competencies that your title path implies due to never being allowed to actually work your titles.

On top of that Windows 11 is a piece of poo poo, so we're back to a divided environment where any given group might be running 10 and Server 19 or 11 and Server 22 or some bastard hybrid of the four. Feels like I'm back in 2012 keeping 7 and 2008R2 alive in an 8/2012 world. That was a poo poo show and fragmented the industry for half a decade, this is the exact same and is predictably fragmenting the industry again and Microsoft simply does not care. We're not getting our stability and reliability back, we're gonna deal with quarterly feature updates we can barely control 'til they find a somehow worse patch model to migrate to. I had more and better version control managing student iPads in an education environment than I do now with a loving fleet of desktops, it's pathetic.

Every role I've had in the last 8 years has been a lie. Most recently I was Technical/QA Lead but my actual job duties were mostly training a high-turnover help desk. I'm sick of all my jobs being traps. I'm sick of recruiters who lie on my behalf so I can frustrate interviewers. I'm sick of not being able to do a single drat part of my titled role for ever a few hours a week. I'm sick of doing 8-10 hours of work outside work every week just so the titles on my resume reflect things I can actually do. I believed in 2012 and got through the bullshit then, but now we're all back in it but worse. Now the only thing I believe is that the industry is a scam built on lies.

I'm leaving for industrial automation where the certifications are for hardware rather than software and diagnostics are done with a multimeter. The pay is better, the unions exist, and the tech has been essentially unchanged since the 60s. I wish anyone who's staying on this sinking ship the very best, but my time has come.

I recently left b2b IT for similar reasons. Companies are obsessed with rent seeking so they constantly release half finished garbage. New hardware or randok patches that add functionality that no one asked for and none of it is properlt tested. So you're stilling there with Walmart or Amazon who you know pays millions of dollars a year in service agreements and trying to figure out whay the hell is broken on a peoduct you've never even heard about. Zero training ever because we're too busy with all the tickets from the last update that bricked a ton of 100k+ appliances and yoy have to manually remediate each one and it takes like 2 hours.

Also no raise this year because we're broke from buying another company. We laid off that old staff so you'll be supporting their products now. Training? Here's some sales TOI some Indian dude did that's useless for your job but you can watch them outside your normal hours if yoy want.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Tap image in Microsoft Teams app, Copy

Switch to Microsoft Outlook app, paste

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Teams might be the worst app that was ever created.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What's everyone's beef with Teams? Both my current and previous employers had it for meetings and messaging.
Some internal groups use the files section a lot and that seems sketchy. I don't use that portion.
But for calls and chats it's pretty good?

The stupid remote server apps we run for CAD, EDMS, parts inventory etc suck rear end tho and cost me time every day. gently caress you Dassault Systems.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I use it every day for calls and video conferences and it’s fine

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My desktop version of teams literally just stops working about 30 minutes into my day every day and I have to use the web version. IT cannot figure it out

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The service works fine, the app itself is slow clunky garbage.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

withak posted:

The service works fine, the app itself is slow clunky garbage.

Yeah it takes me several seconds to switch between parts of the app on my brand new, fairly powerful Windows laptop. You can almost hear the whirring and clunking in the background.

And they got rid of Wiki tabs that I'd filled with useful information, and now it loads an instance of OneNote inside your Team (which also takes several seconds each time). And I lost a bunch of stuff.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It is? I've literally never had a problem on multiple machines and phones over 8 years.
Again, just calls and messages. Don't be editing slide decks in it.*
Maybe my lack of problems stems from not using all the features idk

*with 9 other people also editing the same document simultaneously

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Problems with Teams:
- Copy and pasting photos from other applications into Teams messages
- Copy and pasting photos from within Teams to another application
- Downloading files renames file to just image(x).jpg
- Your organization can turn off access to giphy
- They've massively boofed the "New" taskbar icon it's all alias'd to poo poo now

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The wiki being discontinued hosed me up

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Youtube on xbox has gotten pretty bad. Occasionally it will suggest a video I only watched halfway or whatever, like I see the progress bar on the thumbnail, then when I start it, it invariably starts at the beginning. And every video will desync its audio/video by a full second for every 9 minutes of runtime. According to microsoft support this has been a 'known problem' for years with no fix.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Kindle ebook pricing on amazon:

Book 1 of the trilogy: 3.99
Book 2 of the trilogy: 5.99
Book 3 of the trilogy: 8.99

This probably isn't a recent development but it made me laugh and then groan and then pay them because I have to know how it ends.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pomme de Terror posted:

I exclusively buy Kirkland kitchen trash bags form Costco.

We ran out earlier in the year and we didn't want to make a trip to Costco at the time, so we just got regular Hefty-brand bags during a regular grocery store trip.

You'd think Hefty brand would be...you know...hefty? Nope.

They are so thin and terrible now that just doing that thing when you take a bag out of the box and "scoop" air with it, or whatever you call it, to get it to open before putting it in the trash can BROKE the seam of multiple bags. And I won't get into how often they broke/split open from a not-at-all heavy amount of trash in them.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DrBouvenstein posted:

We ran out earlier in the year and we didn't want to make a trip to Costco at the time, so we just got regular Hefty-brand bags during a regular grocery store trip.

They are so thin and terrible now that just doing that thing when you take a bag out of the box and "scoop" air with it, or whatever you call it, to get it to open before putting it in the trash can BROKE the seam of multiple bags. And I won't get into how often they broke/split open from a not-at-all heavy amount of trash in them.

I believe you, I have no trouble with the Hefty Ultra Strong Tall Kitchen Trash Bags, Blackout, Unscented, 13 Gallon personally. In general the quality and thickness of both trash bags and tissues (Kleenex) are noticeably worse in the USA than in more prosperous and advanced nations such as Turkey.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I had this same experience too recently. Hefty is so loving lovely. Kirkland trash bags for life

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DrBouvenstein posted:

My wife wanted to get a more environmentally friendly bag so for a while she would buy small packs of bags at Natural Grocers and recently I went ahead and bought the Kirkland bags again so I could have a bag that didn't tear, was bigger than the trash receptacle, and didn't run out in 6 weeks. No complaints yet.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Salt Fish posted:

Kindle ebook pricing on amazon:

Book 1 of the trilogy: 3.99
Book 2 of the trilogy: 5.99
Book 3 of the trilogy: 8.99

This probably isn't a recent development but it made me laugh and then groan and then pay them because I have to know how it ends.

Yeah it’s lovely the author isn’t getting a fair return on Book 1 or Book 2 just to trick Amazon’s algorithm into making their work visible.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I can only imagine how expensive book 4 of the trilogy is going to be.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

You have to finance book 4.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Teams has been pretty great. We've been using it exclusively for 4 years now. We live in Teams. It's anything but slow and clunky. Copying and pasting has zero issues. The complaints above I've never experienced, so not sure what to say to any of those.

As for IT complaints. Yeah, certs have always been a joke. They're annual, and no one has any time to study for them, or sit in a prepped room that can't have anything in it anymore. Infrastructure is changing so fast, almost on a weekly basis now, that a cert from even a month ago is already outdated. In the past 8 years IT landscape has completely changed. It's all serverless, desktopless, and it's all microservices and cloud based apps and solutions. Some of its easy to manage, some of its just as frustrating. But the days of being a computer toucher are gone, you're more of a sysadmin in Hackers watching the Gibson dashboard waiting for alarms these days.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Philthy posted:

Teams has been pretty great. We've been using it exclusively for 4 years now. We live in Teams. It's anything but slow and clunky. Copying and pasting has zero issues. The complaints above I've never experienced, so not sure what to say to any of those.

Yeah, I'm not saying our implementation of Teams is perfect, but it does the basics of chats and meetings just fine, the file sharing stuff (which is just a different front-end for a Sharepoint site, yeah?) works fine.

But, to be fair, we also implemented Teams Calling recently and we are slowly phasing out all desk phones, and that is...not great. To be fair, the BIGGEST problem is with people who have virtual machines, either in Citrix or Azure. There are often problems with the physical Windows device and virtual Windows device "fighting" for control of the headset so the audio doesn't pass through correctly, as well as issues with the "secondary ringer" function not always ringing.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Most (all?) of the issues I have with Teams come from its interactions with Window's absolutely psychotic handling of audio peripherals.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The company pays for the audio hardware so I order the most expensive Jabra headset with teams certification.
Works fine. But I would not spend nearly $500 on my own.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes it seems windows really hates Bluetooth

Petty Haberdasher
Jul 28, 2012
I have not been able to find any setting in teams or windows that will prevent my bluetooth headset volume from being set to 20 when i join the meeting. I gotta be quick with the volume to not get me eardrums blown out every time, it's quite a rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

IT just made it so that I need to enter the digits off an RSA token to log into the work computer.

The computer that stays here at the plant.

Oh and I still need to add my password. Just why!?