Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Should have called it Barbego

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

To celebrate the first snow of the season, I made Piña Coladas with fresh Piña.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Correct response

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Qylvaran posted:

To celebrate the first snow of the season, I made Piña Coladas with fresh Piña.

Sweet. I had to explain the Miami Vice to my partner yesterday while discussing 90's cocktail trends that are coming back around, but drat those things are good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Any of you tried Viva Agave? The only info I can find about it is from a Reddit post:

"This is an agave spirit they [Cantera Negra] product at the same distillery and using the same methods as their premium line. They use 100% Blue Weber agave that is grown in Mexico but is not grown in the right state to be legally called a tequila. That is why it is so much cheaper. The family made these products so that they can have something that can compete on price for cocktails."

Sounds intriguing, especially since it's $15 a liter here. That made me suspicious but the explanation for it being cheap makes sense. My cheap actual legal tequila is Cimarron at $30/liter, but I have to go out of state to get it.

Anyway is it good? If no one's tried it I'll get a bottle and report back. I would only be using this in cocktails, I have other bottles for sippin' duty.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Making caraway-anise bitters and I ran out of the VA illegal everclear. I think I'm going just going to fill it out with 100 proof whiskey.

FYI, you can buy Everclear 151 off the shelf in Virginia. Everclear 190 you can apply for a grain permit to buy for medical, culinary or commercial purposes.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
We use 190 and proof it down to about 100 to make our nocino, which poo poo, I gotta start that for this year.

e: I tried to use it to extra from our Christmas tree (we use last years tree to make a martini while decorating the next one, :3: ) and I had to proof it down to get it to start extracting any color at all.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kevin DuBrow posted:

FYI, you can buy Everclear 151 off the shelf in Virginia. Everclear 190 you can apply for a grain permit to buy for medical, culinary or commercial purposes.

i feel weirdly blessed that the liquor store down the street carries Spiritus

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Did this ever get posted here? Someone did a tear down of the Bartesian cocktail machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwRwQyNBNBA

It was clear it was going to be a terrible machine but finding out the details of how terrible is 🤢

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Matt Zerella posted:

I forgot to post about this but I was out east on Long Island a few weeks ago and ended up at the Betterman Distillery. Got a Negroni with their dry gin and it was unbelievable.

https://www.thebettermandistillingco.com/cosmicsouldrygin

I ended up buying a bottle. Made a Negroni with that, cocci, and St Agrestis and I'm never going back to my usual (brokers, Campari, antica).

You were in my neck of the woods, Better Man is walking distance for me.

I find the gin on my bar more and more lately. It started because I wanted to support local, but now it is because it's just good.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I did consider that but it was $28 for 750 mL and only at a farther store. Price seems pretty silly for basically an industrial commodity product. Got the caraway-anise bitters done with regular everclear, plantation oftd and evan williams 100. I proof down with separate hot water steep on all the same solid ingredients. Really nice result. Filtering is always the biggest hassle but I cut down on it by cold crashing and decanting off.

Goes into a sazerac inspired thing with a rye - aquavit split base.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 16, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve been trying to get my hands on Technical Reserve. It’s 96% ABV and CA doesn’t allow anything above 153 proof

Any ideas how one would get it in Los Angeles other than driving to Brooklyn

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I’ve been trying to get my hands on Technical Reserve. It’s 96% ABV and CA doesn’t allow anything above 153 proof

Any ideas how one would get it in Los Angeles other than driving to Brooklyn

Industry Standard?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Grand Fromage posted:

Any of you tried Viva Agave?

Follow up. I yolo'd the $15 to try it.

On its own, yeah, don't. I wasn't expecting a sipper so no biggie. I don't like Cimarron straight either, really.

So I made two margaritas, one with Cimarron, one with Viva Agave. It's pretty good? Like side by side I can definitely tell, the Viva Agave is a little more ethanol-y and sweeter, but it's fine. I'm not sure I would be able to tell if I wasn't trying it right next to a Cimarron marg. I'm going to try it in a couple more things before I decide, so far I'm leaning toward it being the same kind of basic decent cocktail blanco.

(also picked up Lalo for a new sipper and boy, that's a good fuckin' tequila right there)

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I’ve made Bobby Burnses a lot over the holidays while entertaining but haven’t drank much this month. I thought since a Bobby Burns is basically a La Louisiane but with scotch instead of rye I made one tonight and added a dash of Peychauds. Great twist to a great drink!

2 oz Dewars white label
1 oz Cocchi di Torino
.5 oz Benedictine
1 dash Peychauds
Meyer Lemon peel twist

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Oh god I’m going to blow through these Tempus Fugit bottles so quickly. The Crème de Cacao is markedly better than my DIY Cacao, and throwing together a Pink Squirrel or Grasshopper is insanely easy.

I also made a Banana Hammock with the Crème de Banane, which is straight up banana bread. I kinda want to try and make another with half Giffard Banane du Bresil to see if it gives the cocktail a more layered banana note.

I need to find an online store that is willing to ship to Michigan. There aren’t many.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Michigan makes other control states look reasonable. Do they still require cash on delivery for all liquor?

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Corb3t posted:

Oh god I’m going to blow through these Tempus Fugit bottles so quickly. The Crème de Cacao is markedly better than my DIY Cacao, and throwing together a Pink Squirrel or Grasshopper is insanely easy.

I also made a Banana Hammock with the Crème de Banane, which is straight up banana bread. I kinda want to try and make another with half Giffard Banane du Bresil to see if it gives the cocktail a more layered banana note.

I need to find an online store that is willing to ship to Michigan. There aren’t many.

Try a banana boulevardier with the Crème de Banane (just add a half ounce to a normal bourbon boulevardier). pretty great

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bloody ghost titty posted:

Michigan makes other control states look reasonable. Do they still require cash on delivery for all liquor?

I can order from SharedPour without issues. Shipping is often a bitch, but sometimes discounts will still make it below State minimum.

They also allow discounted sales to MI, so we're apparently not being AS lovely about it as we have in the past.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Right around when everything shut down for COVID, a ton of out of state liquor stores started shipping into Michigan and the State AG started handing out fines and sending threatening letters to many shippers that were caught. That caused a lot of them to cease shipping here altogether, but some have eased up since.

Michigan's three tier is definitely a weird one - We can buy liquor from most grocery stores, Costco, and CVS, but stores can't bring something into the state without presenting it to the liquor control and getting approval, and I believe every store has to have access to it. Places like Total Wine sell Costco branded liquor, and you can buy liquor at Costco without a membership here.

Ironically enough, Ohio has a much more strict three tier system, more limited selection, their Costcos don't sell liquor, but I'm able to place orders from more online stores like Astor Wines and Potomac Wines and have it delivered to my mom's place in Toledo with less issues, which is nice because at least I can ship in any brand I can't get. That's how I plan on getting my hands on Hampden Estate's Great House 2023, Pogos, and HCLF Classic rums that are coming out right about now.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 20, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Try a banana boulevardier with the Crème de Banane (just add a half ounce to a normal bourbon boulevardier). pretty great

Just tried this, seconded

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell yeah, one (1) bottle of green Chartreuse at my local place

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Don't you mean zero bottles?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Saw one the other day for $110.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Been making this a lot. Personal creation but not that much of a departure. Volume approx, I free pour. Jasmine gin sour. Needs a better name. Stir with small cubes, strain, big cube. It looks super yellow when it's done.

2 oz gin (Bombay)
0.5 oz Dolin Genepy
0.5 oz Bianco Vermouth (Carpano)
0.5 oz Passion fruit syrup
Lemon juice (whole small lemon or half a big one)
Couple drops jasmine flavor extract diluted to 20% with everclear

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I love when the South America guys from work come up to visit

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why are we still loving with Cuba? It really seems pointless and cruel. Oh, yeah. That's US foreign policy in a nutshell.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i gently caress with cuba because they make good rum

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So this is one of the weirdest cocktails I've made for my partner. They asked me to riff on what they were feeling and I ended up with a cocktail that was equal parts:

Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz
St Elizabeths Allspice Dram
Lofi Gentian Amaro
99 Bananas (I put my thumb on the scale a bit here)
Pernod rinse of the glass

It smells like luxardo cherry and tastes like watermelon then clove cigarettes, but in a good way. Very very weird, but fun.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Carillon posted:

So this is one of the weirdest cocktails I've made for my partner. They asked me to riff on what they were feeling and I ended up with a cocktail that was equal parts:

Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz
St Elizabeths Allspice Dram
Lofi Gentian Amaro
99 Bananas (I put my thumb on the scale a bit here)
Pernod rinse of the glass

It smells like luxardo cherry and tastes like watermelon then clove cigarettes, but in a good way. Very very weird, but fun.
how do you fit all the bananas in the shaker

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Strange Matter posted:

how do you fit all the bananas in the shaker

The magic of distillation!

And I mistyped, it was actually 99 Watermelon.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Pink Squirrels are so good.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
What exactly does crème do noyaux taste like?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It’s more of a cordial-like marzipan, almond, or amaretto-like flavor.

They actually use the same stone fruit pit kernels to make imitation almond extract for baking for people who are allergic to nuts.

1:1:1 with heavy cream, crème de cacao, and some grated nutmeg, easy crowd-pleaser. I need to try using it in an espresso martini.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
If you can't find or don't want to buy a whole bottle and still want to try a pink squirrel you can probably get away with subbing amaretto and a little simple syrup. Won't be quite the same but not too far off.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I picked up some Cruzan Black Strap today because I'm finally in a position to branch out a little in my rum collection and wow is that stuff like being hit in the face by a brick dipped in molasses. I made a Jungle Bird with it and it's like a completely different drink from using normal dark rum.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I still can't find that stuff anywhere around me and it bums me out

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I still can't find that stuff anywhere around me and it bums me out

:same:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I would honestly trade a bottle of Green Chartreuse for equal-ish value of Cruzan blackstrap and maybe some other cool/weird rum if anybody was interested. It's simply not available within like 150 miles even according to Cruzan's website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I need a good mid-level mixable dark rum.

I'm a whiskey guy and know poo poo about rum, but I plan on making a grog bowl for a party next weekend. 1:2:4 - lime juice:dark rum:water w/ sugar syrup + bitters for taste.

Any recs?