Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Real question: how do these houses have any value at all? The huge risk for extensive damage, as reflected by the insurance premiums, ought to be reflected its value. 6 figure damage sounds like tear down and rebuild to me, so you're just paying for the land and it being residential zoned. Maybe it's me growing up in an area where we get a gnarly storm pretty much every year, but seeing these, sometimes multi-million, Florida houses built maybe 50 feet from the tide-line in a region that regularly experiences major hurricanes has me baffled. Or am I too woke/liberal/pinko commie/pejorative du jour to not understand what really seems like a half trillion game to see who can squeeze the most money out of the market until the jig is inevitably up?

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
most people are in denial about climate change, even those who don't deny that it's happening. the market reflects this

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Just Winging It posted:

Real question: how do these houses have any value at all? The huge risk for extensive damage, as reflected by the insurance premiums, ought to be reflected its value. 6 figure damage sounds like tear down and rebuild to me, so you're just paying for the land and it being residential zoned. Maybe it's me growing up in an area where we get a gnarly storm pretty much every year, but seeing these, sometimes multi-million, Florida houses built maybe 50 feet from the tide-line in a region that regularly experiences major hurricanes has me baffled. Or am I too woke/liberal/pinko commie/pejorative du jour to not understand what really seems like a half trillion game to see who can squeeze the most money out of the market until the jig is inevitably up?

See the microcosm (I believe from earlier in this thread) of the house that was put up for sale while it was literally falling down a cliffside.

It's like a metaphor for our entire relationship!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Just Winging It posted:

The real probability of extensive damage of any individual house inland is a lot lower than all the stuff that's along waterways or beach-front, but insurance is priced to include enough houses that statistical reality guarantees large losses. Also, there's just a ton of demand for housing in lots of places and people will discount longer term risk to accommodate the ability to own a home. Certainly some properties are at enough individual risk that they have downward pressure on pricing - there are probably some sweet beach properties that would already cost a lot more except that they've been destroyed once or twice already.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Fixed these for ya

hth

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just Winging It posted:

People still want to live in Florida for some reason

I have some relatives who lived in Denver for 30 years, they decided to sell their place and move to Florida last year and now are less than a mile from the gulf near Tampa. tbqh I can't understand it at all.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nenonen posted:

Fixed these for ya

hth

:stare:

This is worse. Look at the wall!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Uthor posted:

idgi, the brick wall looks perfectly fine :confused:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Platystemon posted:

I’m shocked that it’s not more expensive.

The insurance companies must believe Tampa to be as hurricane‐proof as the residents do.

It kinda is. Tampa is rather sheltered compared to, say, Miami. Clearwater and St Pete less so. Storm surge can only really be driven by Old Tampa Bay or Hillsborough Bay instead of open ocean. But, because of the rotational properties of a hurricane, most storms are driving the surge away from Tampa. There's no water to the east to be driven against Tampa, which gives them the weird phenomenon of reverse surges, where the winds are drawing water away from Tampa.

I want to say the record surge in Tampa is only like six feet. Miami had 17 feet during Andrew.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

glynnenstein posted:

The real probability of extensive damage of any individual house inland is a lot lower than all the stuff that's along waterways or beach-front, but insurance is priced to include enough houses that statistical reality guarantees large losses. Also, there's just a ton of demand for housing in lots of places and people will discount longer term risk to accommodate the ability to own a home. Certainly some properties are at enough individual risk that they have downward pressure on pricing - there are probably some sweet beach properties that would already cost a lot more except that they've been destroyed once or twice already.

Exactly. Those homes may be doomed, but not this year. Probably not next year. 10 years from now? Excellent chance of being fine. It's a terrible long term investment, but not an immediate danger and everybody has to live somewhere.

They may also believe that if the danger is real it will be fixed. Just in my lifetime collective action has mostly fixed acid rain and stopped the growth of the hole in the ozone, and prevented the Y2K disaster. To a casual observer it looks like a bunch of chicken littles were crying about the end of the world and then . . . the problem just went away. So this will be the same. If the oceans are rising the government will be seawalls or something and everything will be fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Darchangel posted:

We get those along the coast of Texas, too. Galveston, etc. Where they are literally built on sand bars that change shape every time a hurricane comes through...

Oh, I'm sure it works if you water enough, but then your using a ton of water in a drought.

Wait, you're saying people in God's country are building homes upon the sand? A thing even the bible specifically calls out as a dumb idea. If stone age sheepherders are looking at your house and shaking their heads you've done hosed up.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just lol if you think they have ever cracked open a bible

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Just Winging It posted:

Real question: how do these houses have any value at all?

Many people and all companies would rather risk death than grapple with nonsense real estate valuations whether that’s w/r/t local risks, location, or whatever.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's all very fair. I just figured some of them were paying enough attention to make sure they're not the ones ending up holding the bag.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

They teach it in sunday school! I haven't cracked a bible in 30+ years and I remembered it.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Uthor posted:

That there is a load bearing wall. Or at least has a load bearing facade

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I can also speak to insurance in Florida.

So Insurance in Florida has gotten ludicrously expensive as of the last 5 or so years, it's true. The reasons are many and varied but actually have little to do with necessary risk and everything to do with money.

See, it's possible to build a nearly stormproof, and indeed, nearly submersible home within Florida code. A cinder block dwelling with modern, storm rated windows and doors, properly installed, can survive a flood with minimal if any water intrusion and damage. You see pics of houses like this online after every major hurricane, with water halfway up the French doors or sliders and the interior completely dry, and scores of people on Facebook or Imgur commending the workmanship.

In an ideal world, such truly storm-resilient homes would be the only homes allowed in Florida, but they're not. Instead we most commonly build stick-built homes like everywhere else. "Why that's a loving terrible idea!" I hear you cry. Haha, yeah. But it's also allowed by code because first off, we use pretty much the same codes as everywhere else, and second off, until the recent lumber crisis stick-built homes were cheaper not just in materials but also total cost to slap up than anything remotely solid, and in the 90s the state's housing board was fully and completely owned by developers who slapped up huge, huge developments of hundreds of houses as cheaply as possible. This is why people had to loving die in Hurricane Andrew before we mandate hurricane strapping for roofs. Shareholder value!

This causes a second fun problem. Those cheap, cheerful, quickly built houses from the 90s? They're aging out. They were never designed to last, and they're falling the gently caress down. Oh and loads don't have even basic hurricane preparation. Yes, the roof has to have been replaced by now, but what good is a new roof atop a poo poo house? Insurance knows this. They flag entire communities due to poo poo construction, in some cases whole cities, because they know that statistically, every house there is barely standing, and just waiting for a good day to collapse.

Oh also there's a fun but where we build on flood-prone near-swampland (or temporarily dewatered swampland which yearns to return to the domain of the gator) and the state has stripped out every regulation to stop that happening because money. These are the houses with the worst insurance rates.

So why the climb in the last 5 years? Actuary science! Haha actually it's hurricanes. In the last decade we have seen incomprehensible increases in hurricane activity. 2020 was the most active hurricane season of all time. Hurricane Michael in 2018 was a Cat 5 in October, which has never happened before, and hit the Panhandle, which was a first for a Cat 5. We have breached the gates of Hurricane Science and are not just treading, but sprinting into uncharted territory. God can't stop us and death is certain, and the insurance companies are scared as all hell.

The good news is that flood insurance is mostly the expensive part of insurance, because short of a flood houses mostly stay together, and you only need flood insurance if you have a mortgage. The bad news is, uh, you really need a mortgage due to the ongoing housing cost crisis here driving house prices up into the quarter-to-half million range as a floor.

And what's the plan for Citizen's (the insuruer of last resort) when The Big One comes? Best anyone tell, the state goes into default and bega for aid, yeah. It's a huge ol mess. Love living in the hellstate.

Oh, and don't believe the hype about Tampa being flood-proof, it's a cold clock lie. Tampa is highly, highly flood resistant due to hurricane geometry, but a theoretical perfect storm trajectory where the eye makes landfall north of Tampa could cause the bay to become a force multiplier for storm surge. This almost happened last year with Hurricane Idalia, a comparatively standard cat 4 hurricane that pushed 7 feet of storm surge into areas north of the Bay. This is a flat state, 7 feet is loving ruinous. Pushing that much water into the Bay and then back out would remake the coastline and turn most of Tampa Bay into Atlantis 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Sorry for the effortposts, Florida sucks you guys.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 12, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/seanw_m/status/1591511458512355328

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

There's also the issue of costs for everything shooting up the last few years, so the money insurance companies took in over time isn't enough to cover what they have to pay out today.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Computer viking posted:

Since we're speaking about water in Florida, what is happening here?

Just a lot of partially reclaimed swamp?

Mostly old mines. There's a lot of phosphorus and other poo poo and that whole area is full of them. And a lot of the circular lakes are old mine pits also.

Florida definitely sucks and we are stuck here for awhile. Yay.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Uthor posted:

There's also the issue of costs for everything shooting up the last few years, so the money insurance companies took in over time isn't enough to cover what they have to pay out today.

Yes but the post is already quite long so lots had to be omitted. Florida is also in a perpetual crisis of skilled construction labor, especially in roofing (which is the most common insurance claim here by far) so not only are they paying more, they're getting less and worse work for having done so.

tl;dr: nobody should ever live in Florida ever.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Louisiana has many of the exact same issues as Florida regarding Citizens being the only insurer writing policies. Citizens has said something to the effect of that they can't cover more than 10% of their policies in the event of a regular hurricane hit - not even another Katrina. The state started offering incentives this year to bring in insurance companies, but it isn't doing too much. Orleans Parish had a period where house sales plummeted because you couldn't get insurance required by your massive new home loan. Prices are falling back to normal now.

https://www.wwno.org/2023-09-06/louisianas-insurance-market-is-in-crisis-new-head-says-less-regulation-is-the-answer

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/homeowners-insurance/louisiana-home-insurance-market-struggles/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

It's Texas, and the South. They have opened the Bible, but just to select passages, usually Old Testament. "Jesus" gets invoked, but without understanding what Jesus was actually about.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
the Bible is what you carve out to stick a revolver in

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

So Insurance in Florida has gotten ludicrously expensive as of the last 5 or so years, it's true. The reasons are many and varied but actually have little to do with necessary risk and everything to do with money.

See, it's possible to build a nearly stormproof, and indeed, nearly submersible home within Florida code. A cinder block dwelling with modern, storm rated windows and doors, properly installed, can survive a flood with minimal if any water intrusion and damage. You see pics of houses like this online after every major hurricane, with water halfway up the French doors or sliders and the interior completely dry, and scores of people on Facebook or Imgur commending the workmanship.

In an ideal world, such truly storm-resilient homes would be the only homes allowed in Florida, but they're not. Instead we most commonly build stick-built homes like everywhere else. "Why that's a loving terrible idea!" I hear you cry. Haha, yeah. But it's also allowed by code because first off, we use pretty much the same codes as everywhere else, and second off, until the recent lumber crisis stick-built homes were cheaper not just in materials but also total cost to slap up than anything remotely solid, and in the 90s the state's housing board was fully and completely owned by developers who slapped up huge, huge developments of hundreds of houses as cheaply as possible. This is why people had to loving die in Hurricane Andrew before we mandate hurricane strapping for roofs. Shareholder value!

This causes a second fun problem. Those cheap, cheerful, quickly built houses from the 90s? They're aging out. They were never designed to last, and they're falling the gently caress down. Oh and loads don't have even basic hurricane preparation. Yes, the roof has to have been replaced by now, but what good is a new roof atop a poo poo house? Insurance knows this. They flag entire communities due to poo poo construction, in some cases whole cities, because they know that statistically, every house there is barely standing, and just waiting for a good day to collapse.

Oh also there's a fun but where we build on flood-prone near-swampland (or temporarily dewatered swampland which yearns to return to the domain of the gator) and the state has stripped out every regulation to stop that happening because money. These are the houses with the worst insurance rates.

So why the climb in the last 5 years? Actuary science! Haha actually it's hurricanes. In the last decade we have seen incomprehensible increases in hurricane activity. 2020 was the most active hurricane season of all time. Hurricane Michael in 2018 was a Cat 5 in October, which has never happened before, and hit the Panhandle, which was a first for a Cat 5. We have breached the gates of Hurricane Science and are not just treading, but sprinting into uncharted territory. God can't stop us and death is certain, and the insurance companies are scared as all hell.

The good news is that flood insurance is mostly the expensive part of insurance, because short of a flood houses mostly stay together, and you only need flood insurance if you have a mortgage. The bad news is, uh, you really need a mortgage due to the ongoing housing cost crisis here driving house prices up into the quarter-to-half million range as a floor.

And what's the plan for Citizen's (the insuruer of last resort) when The Big One comes? Best anyone tell, the state goes into default and bega for aid, yeah. It's a huge ol mess. Love living in the hellstate.

Oh, and don't believe the hype about Tampa being flood-proof, it's a cold clock lie. Tampa is highly, highly flood resistant due to hurricane geometry, but a theoretical perfect storm trajectory where the eye makes landfall north of Tampa could cause the bay to become a force multiplier for storm surge. This almost happened last year with Hurricane Idalia, a comparatively standard cat 4 hurricane that pushed 7 feet of storm surge into areas north of the Bay. This is a flat state, 7 feet is loving ruinous. Pushing that much water into the Bay and then back out would remake the coastline and turn most of Tampa Bay into Atlantis 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Sorry for the effortposts, Florida sucks you guys.

Ahhhh, that makes so much sense.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

iwentdoodie posted:

Mostly old mines. There's a lot of phosphorus and other poo poo and that whole area is full of them. And a lot of the circular lakes are old mine pits also.

Florida definitely sucks and we are stuck here for awhile. Yay.

I honestly didn't expect that part of florida to have any mineral worth digging up, but I guess a bit of strip mining fits the general mood.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Never live in a building designed by MC Escher.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PurpleXVI posted:

Never live in a building designed by MC Escher.

This is weird but I bet that door goes out onto a roof. The thickness of the roof and need to have the door a step or two above for water reasons probably created this situation. Normally roof access is on the top floor, but in a building with multiple roof levels due to some sort of terraced design you can get jank like this. The stairs then go back down because the other doors and floor level on the rest of that floor are that much lower than the roof access door.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
It has shoes on the stoop, a peep hole and what looks like a doorbell.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Computer viking posted:

I honestly didn't expect that part of florida to have any mineral worth digging up, but I guess a bit of strip mining fits the general mood.

Buildings and roads also necessitate digging up huge quantities of materials such as limestone, sand and gravel. Although I don't know if that part has any of those or if it's just mud all the way to the core of the Earth.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

It has shoes on the stoop, a peep hole and what looks like a doorbell.

And utility meters. Seems like at some point two adjacent buildings with slightly different floor heights came under the same ownership and the alley between them was enclosed to provide front/only access so that the units could be subdivided or the original entrances could be repurposed.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Computer viking posted:

Since we're speaking about water in Florida, what is happening here?

Just a lot of partially reclaimed swamp?

I used to live in this region. In the 90's.

and in the 90s the state's housing board was fully and completely owned by developers who slapped up huge, huge developments of hundreds of houses as cheaply as possible.

Oh also there's a fun but where we build on flood-prone near-swampland (or temporarily dewatered swampland which yearns to return to the domain of the gator) and the state has stripped out every regulation to stop that happening because money.

It was amazing to watch. Like a train wreck. You would see a development of 2500 sqft 2 story houses go up in what used to be wetlands. Sorry, what the state determined weren't wetlands. Just quite well hydrated soil. Or maybe the county I don't know. Geological survey? Check. What did it say? Mr Franklin here - sorry these "consulting fees" - say it's land you could definitely build on! The first or second year would see at least one house, if not more, condemned. The foundation would just split in half or a corner would submerge or you name it. And it was as sketchy as we make fun of - companies formed soley to build the development, no HOA, and the people would put the whole community up in 6 months while it's dry out, sell them all, and would never be seen from again. And by that I mean a totally new company with the same system and definitely not the same humans at the top would do it all again.

My favorite was one of those rapid 90's tracts going up, they sold them all, and the community was pretty normal - a few dozen houses and a ring road that abutted a lake as a buffer. The next year someone bought a plot across the street, abutting the lake. They "drained" it flat, no walls or anything, built a 2 story house there, moved in, and later that year the lake level rose to (checks notes) its 10 year average level - so a totally normal average depth, not even "record." I had a friend who lived in the tract and we just watched it slide into the lake week over week. It was amazing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Y’all should read every adult book by Miami Herald columnist Carl Hiasson (he’s also written a few children’s/tweens books). A lifetime Florida resident, his extremely good & funny books feature incompetent and corrupt politicans and developers in the Sunshine State.

He took a break for a few years after his older brother, also a reporter, was murdered in the chud Capital Gazette shooting. Just finished his latest, “Wrecker,” about the Keys. The book before that, “Squeeze Me,” is full of absolutely brutal takes on a certain golf-centric politician and his nutjob supporters.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 13, 2024

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

:lmao: okay that made me chuckle pretty good.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

:perfect:

Makes me want to go start a new HL2 game and find the scene that inspired this.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol heard the sound effect in my head

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/8Ioj2dY.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

If there's anything I trust with my life to get me out of a caving-in death pit, its one of those amazon collapsible ladders.