Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I feel like Jerod Mayo was only drafted like three years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Who are the GMs who've been fired from their jobs after leaving the Patriots? That's who the GM will be.

Jon Robinson, I guess Caserio is still employed, I'm sure I'm missing 1-2 more.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Diva Cupcake posted:

Who are the GMs who've been fired from their jobs after leaving the Patriots? That's who the GM will be.

Robinson, Dave Zeigler, Thomas Dimitrov, Bob Quinn (he has some kind of job with the Browns), Scott Pioli

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I mean that was only… 2008 :corsair:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Brady was hovering around the last Raiders practice and I wonder how much influence he has there. The Vrabel connection is obv a strong one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Caserio actually seems like a good GM which is pretty shocking. Robinson is really going to get another job post AJ Brown?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Comedy option. Mara brings Bill home as HC and makes Daboll the OC / assistant HC.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Nodoze posted:

No one in the building should get the benefit of the doubt for Bill overruling them, bring in someone from the outside.

I mean, my preference was they purge all of Bill's poo poo and just start over clean, I'm just trying to parse the thinking here.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Hey, good for Jerod Mayo. Mike Vrabel stay getting worked over by the state of Tennessee this week.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

It really is surreal to see players I saw playing turning into coaches rapidly, but players I saw drafted as young guys now coaching.

and Mayo is 2 years older than me, so its really just me.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You want to feel even older? He's the second guy from that Patriots draft class to be a head coach... they also drafted Kevin O'Connell in the 3rd round.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I think Mayo is now the youngest HC. Like a month younger than McVay.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

davecrazy posted:

Comedy option. Mara brings Bill home as HC and makes Daboll the OC / assistant HC.

Decorum headed so I could see Mara *trying* lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Matthew Slater was also drafted in 2008, congrats to the.... Seahawks who will be making him head coach in 6 years.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

quote:

However, the seams of Belichick's methods began to show in his final years with the Patriots. As SI's Albert Breer wrote Thursday, Belichick made a crucial error in judgment in 2019 as New England sought to draft a wide receiver.

"Before that draft, Patriots scouts were high on (South Carolina's) Deebo Samuel and (Ole Miss's) A.J. Brown. The two came to Foxborough together on a visit and had been traveling together all week," Breer wrote. "As such, they had a good, jovial ability to poke at each other and laugh together, and Belichick was leery that they weren’t taking the visit seriously enough."

That led Belichick to fixate on wide receiver N'Keal Harry of Arizona State against his scouts' recommendations, and the Patriots eventually took him 32nd overall.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
See now that’s a proper hit piece

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Especially because I'm one million percent sure it's true.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Belichick's brainworms involving the wide receiver position specifically have been consistently amazing, and I'll believe any story about him sucking at doing anything with it.

"BILL HATES FAST HUMANS WHO CAN CATCH, DB'S CAN'T CATCH SO HE'S OK WITH THAT THO"

"I believe you!" :hmmyes:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

MJeff posted:

Especially because I'm one million percent sure it's true.

It is true, this is like the fifth story now about drafting Harry that says the same thing

The real problem is after he "ceded power" whoever drafted Tyquan Thornton is still here

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

Belichick's brainworms involving the wide receiver position specifically have been consistently amazing, and I'll believe any story about him sucking at doing anything with it.

I think the man has some sort of problem with receivers who talk poo poo which (almost) all good receivers do...while at the same time loving DBs who talk poo poo, which again, all of the good ones do.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

quote:

When Belichick began studying the 2011 draft, he saw great depth at the receiver position. Why go all-out for someone like [Julio] Jones when you can likely have a Jonathan Baldwin, who, as far as Belichick can see, is just as good if not better than Jones?

A lot could go wrong canning Belichick but at least we will finally be free of his all time WOAT receiver takes

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nodoze posted:

It just makes no sense to can Bill and leave everyone else in place as if they were totally not also complicit in the way things were. Basically that is just saying "no, it was all Bill everything else will be fine" which is uhhhh optimistic to say the least
I think it makes a lot of sense. Continuity on the defensive side of the ball (and maybe offense too, if BOB stays) but now they can have someone else run the scouts and front office so they can hopefully draft better. The main issue has been Bill's bad decisions in the draft and FA, not his coaching. So they got rid of Bill the GM, which unfortunately means Bill the Coach is gone too.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think it makes a lot of sense. Continuity on the defensive side of the ball (and maybe offense too, if BOB stays) but now they can have someone else run the scouts and front office so they can hopefully draft better. The main issue has been Bill's bad decisions in the draft and FA, not his coaching. So they got rid of Bill the GM, which unfortunately means Bill the Coach is gone too.

Why in the world would you want to keep continuity on literally the worst offense in the league. Yeah the talent leaves a lot to be desired that goes without saying, but BoB was not exactly doing anything that inspired any confidence going forward either

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Nodoze posted:

Why in the world would you want to keep continuity on literally the worst offense in the league. Yeah the talent leaves a lot to be desired that goes without saying, but BoB was not exactly doing anything that inspired any confidence going forward either

They are problem hoping that with better players and BoB able to actually fill out the staff he wants they will turn things around.

This rebuild all comes down to who they draft and acquire over the next two seasons.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://x.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1745845845231124735?s=20

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

They are problem hoping that with better players and BoB able to actually fill out the staff he wants they will turn things around.

This rebuild all comes down to who they draft and acquire over the next two seasons.

It's going to be very weird going into a draft without the stone cold foreknowledge that the picks will be either defense, or bad. Maybe the picks will still be bad, but it's not a lock for the first time in like a decade.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nodoze posted:

Because the issue is the talent. Some of your players, like Rhamondre, the TEs, some of the OL will be staying - you cant replace all your players. If the new GM can bring in some talent to help fix the OL and some WRs worth a drat outside of megastars Kendrick Bourne (RIP his knee) and Pop Douglas, the offense might start working. So either you start with some foundation there or you start from scratch, and in both cases you are working with a hand tied behind your back.

In other words: BOB has run successful offenses in the past and the expectation is that he can again; the majority of the players on the offensive roster have not run a successful offense, so you keep what works and bring in replacements for the rest. BOB helped develop Bad Man in Houston so I think the expectation is that he is thought of as a good coach to develop whichever QB they pick at the top of the draft, especially if he can, like was already mentioned by Impossibly Perfect Sphere, bring in his own offensive staff instead of being hamstrung by BB micromanaging him and forcing him to keep some of the losers that Patricia & Judge installed on offense.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 12, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I might be a little wary of hiring an SF guy - it's easier to build a premier roster when you have a QB making peanuts, and It's easier to have a QB making peanuts if you have Kyle Shanahan designing your plays. But they certainly haven't done a bad job, minus the Trey Lance whiff I guess.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AndrewP posted:

I might be a little wary of hiring an SF guy - it's easier to build a premier roster when you have a QB making peanuts, and It's easier to have a QB making peanuts if you have Kyle Shanahan designing your plays. But they certainly haven't done a bad job, minus the Trey Lance whiff I guess.
They built the premier roster before they had the QB making peanuts. They went to the Super Bowl with Jimmy G on his second contract and had a premier team then, too. They have been remarkably good at drafting talent across the roster the past 6-8 years.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

They built the premier roster before they had the QB making peanuts. They went to the Super Bowl with Jimmy G on his second contract and had a premier team then, too. They have been remarkably good at drafting talent across the roster the past 6-8 years.

Yeah, SF is definitely a place I'd be looking at for a GM.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah was gonna say the only former 49er GM to avoid like a plague is Trent Baalke

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Because the issue is the talent. Some of your players, like Rhamondre, the TEs, some of the OL will be staying - you cant replace all your players. If the new GM can bring in some talent to help fix the OL and some WRs worth a drat outside of megastars Kendrick Bourne (RIP his knee) and Pop Douglas, the offense might start working. So either you start with some foundation there or you start from scratch, and in both cases you are working with a hand tied behind your back.

In other words: BOB has run successful offenses in the past and the expectation is that he can again; the majority of the players on the offensive roster have not run a successful offense, so you keep what works and bring in replacements for the rest. BOB helped develop Bad Man in Houston so I think the expectation is that he is thought of as a good coach to develop whichever QB they pick at the top of the draft, especially if he can, like was already mentioned by Impossibly Perfect Sphere, bring in his own offensive staff instead of being hamstrung by BB micromanaging him and forcing him to keep some of the losers that Patricia & Judge installed on offense.

All the TE's are free agents, lol. Should at least try to re-sign Hunter Henry

I went through the offensive roster in the East thread a few days ago. They have remarkably little you'd want to keep on the offensive side.

2/3rds a RB room is fine, 1 developing WR is solid, 2 more they're probably stuck with, another guy you'd be happy to have they should re-sign.

The OL is a good RT free agent they have to re-sign, a solid center and a developing rookie RG who was solid.... LT fell out hard with the team and LG has been injured and middling.

and finally Zappe is a backup, whatever they plan on in the draft, need to sign one of the vet guys out there to push Zappe / drafted QB.

Basically to be functional they need to address QB, LT, and find a WR1. To be better then that, they also need to address TE and add some capable WR depth.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I’ll miss watching the draft now that Bill’s not making picks. It was really hilarious in a disjointed, incongruous This Is Jazz In The Joke Is The Picks He Isnt Making sense.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The biggest loser in BB being out of a job are scrappy white guys from Rutgers.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kalli posted:

All the TE's are free agents, lol. Should at least try to re-sign Hunter Henry

I went through the offensive roster in the East thread a few days ago. They have remarkably little you'd want to keep on the offensive side.

2/3rds a RB room is fine, 1 developing WR is solid, 2 more they're probably stuck with, another guy you'd be happy to have they should re-sign.

The OL is a good RT free agent they have to re-sign, a solid center and a developing rookie RG who was solid.... LT fell out hard with the team and LG has been injured and middling.

and finally Zappe is a backup, whatever they plan on in the draft, need to sign one of the vet guys out there to push Zappe / drafted QB.

Basically to be functional they need to address QB, LT, and find a WR1. To be better then that, they also need to address TE and add some capable WR depth.

I agree with most of it except for Zappe, he blows and needs to go too.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I assumed BB picked Zappe exclusively as a coordinator intern. I never expected him to actually play

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

yeah I'm sure he'll be good and also what an upgrade for Washington. plus they get a top 2 pick?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

I agree with most of it except for Zappe, he blows and needs to go too.

Sure, I just look at the list of probably FA QB's, and see like two guys I'd want to replace him with at the price point you'd want to pay for: Brissett & Minshew, then a bunch of guys I wouldn't want, along with the realization that if we're starting a backup QB for any length of time next year anyway, then we sure as gently caress aren't a playoff team, so whatever, Zappe is fine there, got way more important positions to fill.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hunter Henry is a free agent although I would be fine with bringing him back (hopefully not at $12.5m/year though lol). Gesicki is also a FA but he can be shot into the sun for all I care, he doesn't do actual TE things and is whatever as a pass catcher. Rhamondre will be on the last year of his rookie deal and they can probably bring Zeke back cheap if he wants it so that's at least one position that's not an immediate crisis, if not exactly exciting. I don't mean to nitpick, just saying that even the positions where they had adequate play are just that. Adequate. The offensive roster is a wasteland, they are really building up from nothing. You're right that the talent is a massive issue, probably moreso than any other team in the league.

I think adequate covers BOB too. He's not a sucking black hole like the Patricia/Judge experience. But you're probably never going to see a video breaking down some innovative new concept he ran either. I'll take adequate at this point. But whatever QB they draft is gonna have to do a lot of the heavy lifting. I don't expect a BOB offense to elevate him like going to Andy Reid would. Even if they nail the pick it could be very "why the gently caress are you making Justin Herbert throw 3 yard checkdowns all day" vibes.

e: Kalli kinda already did this post, oh well

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In short, I want Mac Jones gone way more then I want Zappe gone. They both suck, Mac's more talented, but get him out of here.