Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
This morning’s proceedings in The Hague focus on genocidical talk in the Israeli public sphere. There are dozens of examples: ministers, Knesset members, influencers. Even the manipulative Netanyahu mentioned Amalek, the ancient people that the Bible singled out for eradication. Never mind that great rabbis have determined long ago that Amalek is obsolete, and the biblical verdict does not apply to any existing nation.

What stands on trial today is the ancient Jewish habit of speaking to each other as if no one else is listening. The Jewish habit of making extreme statements irresponsibly, unthoughtfully, without expecting any payback.

For so many centuries we have exercised a wild freedom of speech among ourselves, in our own languages, relying on our own argumentative balance mechanism: extremism and moderation may clash, and moderation usually triumphs. The House of Shammai is legitimate, but the House of Hillel, the moderates, usually wins.

Israeli verbal culture inherited this freedom. But Israel is also a liberal democracy and member of the global community. Most of the loudmouths crying Genocide and Amalek are not aware of the profound dissonance, the huge damage, the justified outrage. Some don’t care.

Only a small minority wants actual genocide in Gaza and are morally crippled enough to carry it through: the extreme national-religious right.

The fact that Netanyahu allowed these thugs into his government and echoes their discourse is an eternal blot on Jewish history.

Our disputative, wordy culture deserves to be celebrated, but it must denounce its dangerous outcrop of inciters to blind violence. Their Amalekite speech has become too viable to bear. Too doable.

No, Israel is not conducting genocide. But its ongoing rant about “flattening Gaza” is no longer a quaint side effect of our argumentative heritage.

It is a crime, a travesty and a harrowing blow to the best of Jewish traditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I just hope I don't die in whatever comeuppance America finally gets because there will be no slowing down until something catastrophic happens.

Been thinking more and more about just becoming a loving hermit in the woods. I hate this place.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Living the life of a hermit is giving up.

You have a duty to do what little you can.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

evilmiera posted:

I think that presentation at the court achieved its objective because it was such a boring slog I lost all my will to decry the occupation for a minute.

Was there anything of any actual value in there? I saw it and I legit can't tell.

Just the usual Hasbara talking points. Probably get the exact same thing by just reading the headlines on /r/news

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Officer Sandvich posted:

No, Israel is not conducting genocide.

yes it is

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

I mean, at this point this is sort of like saying "it'll be wet" before it rains

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Source thine quotes

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Officer Sandvich posted:

No, Israel is not conducting genocide.

syq nerd

anyway that censored article from harvard law review made i think a good argument that nakba should be brought into the legal domain alongside crimes such as genocide or apartheid. or, really, as a combination of the two.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/RegSprecher/status/1745810578839314935

germany feds coming to the rescue

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Germany world champions in owning themselves unprovoked.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

:eyepop:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

VoicesCanBe posted:

These strikes were ordered for domestic political points weren't they. Biden admim knows this isn't going to actually materially effect the situation beyond escalation.
exactly, a lot of people were calling the west cucks for allowing ansar allah to blockade israel without bombing them so now they bombed them. My favorite statement is one where allegedly an official said it was to "reestablish deterrence" and to expect an increase in attacks from Yemen in response. Excellent deterrence A+. so yeah i think pretty much just caving to the "do something" crowd by "doing something" even though it'll only make it worse??? Very smart.

https://twitter.com/nickschifrin/status/1745606101087768655

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Ben Aris on the recent RWN was talking about how the private sector told the US and EU states that in order to make more bombs they'd need a 5 year contract, so with all this im wondering if this is what will make them bite that bullet

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
i know its basically impossible to sink an aircraft carrier, especially considering that i dont think yemen has torpedoes, but if allah can throw us a bone on this one i think i'll convert

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Grimson posted:

all of this, and also that they speak with basically flawless english accents and then only pull out the kh-sound for KHAMAS.
the best is the non-hebrew speaking americans who bust out the kh- to try to sound more like their israeli counterparts

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

if tomorrow a houthi missile lands right on top of my head i wont get angry i will simply salute and say "thank you for your service"

lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Honest Thief posted:

Ben Aris on the recent RWN was talking about how the private sector told the US and EU states that in order to make more bombs they'd need a 5 year contract, so with all this im wondering if this is what will make them bite that bullet

Medvedev already told them what to do, nationalize the MIC.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Officer Sandvich posted:

This morning’s proceedings in The Hague focus on genocidical talk in the Israeli public sphere. There are dozens of examples: ministers, Knesset members, influencers. Even the manipulative Netanyahu mentioned Amalek, the ancient people that the Bible singled out for eradication. Never mind that great rabbis have determined long ago that Amalek is obsolete, and the biblical verdict does not apply to any existing nation.

What stands on trial today is the ancient Jewish habit of speaking to each other as if no one else is listening. The Jewish habit of making extreme statements irresponsibly, unthoughtfully, without expecting any payback.

For so many centuries we have exercised a wild freedom of speech among ourselves, in our own languages, relying on our own argumentative balance mechanism: extremism and moderation may clash, and moderation usually triumphs. The House of Shammai is legitimate, but the House of Hillel, the moderates, usually wins.

Israeli verbal culture inherited this freedom. But Israel is also a liberal democracy and member of the global community. Most of the loudmouths crying Genocide and Amalek are not aware of the profound dissonance, the huge damage, the justified outrage. Some don’t care.

Only a small minority wants actual genocide in Gaza and are morally crippled enough to carry it through: the extreme national-religious right.

The fact that Netanyahu allowed these thugs into his government and echoes their discourse is an eternal blot on Jewish history.

Our disputative, wordy culture deserves to be celebrated, but it must denounce its dangerous outcrop of inciters to blind violence. Their Amalekite speech has become too viable to bear. Too doable.

No, Israel is not conducting genocide. But its ongoing rant about “flattening Gaza” is no longer a quaint side effect of our argumentative heritage.

It is a crime, a travesty and a harrowing blow to the best of Jewish traditions.

Ah yes, mass murder is just a little cultural quirk, like breaking a glass at a wedding. Please don't take it so seriously.

Judge us by our actions, not our words... wait... don't judge us by those, either.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Medvedev already told them what to do, nationalize the MIC.

for once I am glad america is a neoliberal hellhole

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Tie me to a missile and fire me at the USS Ford

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

i know its basically impossible to sink an aircraft carrier, especially considering that i dont think yemen has torpedoes, but if allah can throw us a bone on this one i think i'll convert

less probable but funnier option is ansarallah captures an aircraft carrier

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Karach posted:

Something very appropriate about opening up a new front of a war from a hospital, in a war which has involved a lot of hospitals

Running their command and control of military operations from inside a hospital, using innocent civilians and healthcare workers as human shields?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lmao
https://twitter.com/zackbeauchamp/status/1745820842724884567

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Two things can be true:

1) I am coping
2) I am malding

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

iirc that’s what ICTY eventually ended up at tho I do not remember exactly

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

smoobles posted:

Why doesn't the US simply ship their genocide bombs via a different route? Surely that would be cheaper than starting a war with Yemen?

It's not just about the genocide bombs. It's about making an example out of Yemen. This is how the US lead international works. You follow our rules, or we will enact incredible violence upon you. If the US weren't to retaliate everyone else under their thumb might get the idea they can do things like what Yemen is doing.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The entire stockpile of First World military power is getting depleted at an unsustainable level, and nobody is interested in avoiding more wars that will deplete it only further. This could be revolutionary in world affairs. It's gonna be a multipolar world real quick.

I don’t know why more people aren’t shouting this from the rooftops.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

FrancisFukyomama posted:

there’s a Thai slur for Vietnamese people that’s derived from Ionian bc of it get transported along the Indian subcontinent as a generic word for foreigner courtesy of the Indo-Greeks

yavan?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Fast Luck posted:

exactly, a lot of people were calling the west cucks for allowing ansar allah to blockade israel without bombing them so now they bombed them. My favorite statement is one where allegedly an official said it was to "reestablish deterrence" and to expect an increase in attacks from Yemen in response. Excellent deterrence A+. so yeah i think pretty much just caving to the "do something" crowd by "doing something" even though it'll only make it worse??? Very smart.

Yeah the entire western political leadership are, institutionally, dumb as rocks

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

as the world's foremost expert in genocide,

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

these two things could both be true, and yet, only the first one is

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Ardennes posted:

I think the blockade is working as intended and that Israel and its allies are starting to feel the pinch. There really isn't an other explanation that makes sense.

The thing is Houthis probably decentralized most of that material already (they have been fighting for years against the Saudis) and one strike isn't going to make a huge difference.

It boils down to the fact the US and Israel only know force and violence, and this is their only solution to the issue.

remember when the combined diplomatic corps of china and the us finally arranged a meeting between xi and biden, only for biden to immediately call xi a dictator as soon as the meeting ended? force and violence indeed, alas it will take a few sunken ships to learn the lesson

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1745838980526973397?s=20

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Fast Luck posted:

'We bombed them as a deterrence against shipping attacks. This will cause an increase in shipping attacks.'

Not gonna lie, feeling less confident about the next phase: deterrence against WW3.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

based

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

HES COMING RIGHT TOWARDS ME *launches seventy missiles at civilians*

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Spaced God posted:

HES COMING RIGHT TOWARDS ME *launches seventy missiles at civilians*

wow officer, very brave and modern policing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Israel only gets about 30% of its cargo through the Red Sea, at most. According to reports, the Houthi have done very little to target Israeli-related ships, instead focusing more on ships from other nation. Including a lot of countries that are fairly sympathetic to Gaza. So it is more like blowing up the railroads that primarily service your allies in order to stop a train that may be going to an enemy.

That's why it is obvious this is just regular piracy that they're putting a pretty ideological mask on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Currently listening to my PM waffle while dodging questions about Canadian pro-palestine protests, ignoring South Africa's ICJ case and explaining why it is absolutely necessary to bomb Yemen because livelihoods are at stake.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Israel only gets about 30% of its cargo through the Red Sea, at most. According to reports, the Houthi have done very little to target Israeli-related ships, instead focusing more on ships from other nation. Including a lot of countries that are fairly sympathetic to Gaza. So it is more like blowing up the railroads that primarily service your allies in order to stop a train that may be going to an enemy.

That's why it is obvious this is just regular piracy that they're putting a pretty ideological mask on.

Syq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Officer Sandvich posted:

"Guys, you're supposed to say 'in Minecraft' after making actionable threats! Opsec!"