Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Eejit posted:

Idk I was just word vomiting the article I read

Yeah no worries, it took me a bit to sanity check in my head.

More sliding today inbounds as well, nobody caught in it fortunately. These aren’t normal conditions for us and it seems challenging for the established patrol operations to deal with it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Wind-chill for tomorrow is supposed to be -15 F. Gonna wear all the layers.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Trip to Banff is coming up next week.

Looks like I just dodged the cold. -50c wind chills today.

My home mountain is slated to get a foot and a half of snow (and rain lol) right as I'm leaving too. Urghh, at least my kids will have fun with their grandparents.

First trip without kids since they were born so still excited.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 12, 2024

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Steve French posted:

More sliding today inbounds as well, nobody caught in it fortunately. These aren’t normal conditions for us and it seems challenging for the established patrol operations to deal with it well.

it seems like ppl ducked the rope and triggered it for day 2

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Steve French posted:

Welcome to the Colorado snowpack!

regulargonzalez posted:

Wind-chill for tomorrow is supposed to be -15 F. Gonna wear all the layers.

Touring into a hut today. Skins on snow at 9. Surely we will be warm and nobody will freeze their dick off

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Time posted:

it seems like ppl ducked the rope and triggered it for day 2

Interesting, where’d you hear that? Seemed to me like patrol had opened the bowl but I don’t have that on solid authority. Pretty fuckin brazen and stupid if true, considering the circumstances. Guess I can’t be too surprised though

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ducking a rope the day after a fatal in-bounds slide would be incredibly stupid

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I know no one likes the French, still no reason to piss all over their toilet seats. Jesus Christ, there were quite some pigs over at Les Arcs this week. I'm considering switching from a bib to pants, which hopefully makes it easier to hover poo poo.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Steve French posted:

Interesting, where’d you hear that? Seemed to me like patrol had opened the bowl but I don’t have that on solid authority. Pretty fuckin brazen and stupid if true, considering the circumstances. Guess I can’t be too surprised though

a patroller there posted that to their Insta story and then deleted it. Could be a lie/misunderstanding but the person is really a patroller there

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I heard they just did a high traverse in bounds, rather than hiking (the hikes were closed but traversing the bowl was open).

e: this thread had a lot of discussion on the issue, some with employee friends saying rope was cut, some with employee friends saying no rope was cut, some who were actually there (both working on the mountain and in the probe line) saying no rope was cut 🤷‍♀️ https://old.reddit.com/r/skiing/comments/194i8tf/second_avalanche_hits_palisades_tahoe_ski_resort/khgj954/

Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 12, 2024

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm in Wengen for the weekend, watched the downhill today.

This is Bryce Bennett on his way through Canadian Corner

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The weather station at Breck Peak 8 hit an 119 mph gust around 6am this morning.

That's a little intense.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Give me all the snow.

Also: I preheat my boots and wear really good socks and after 4 or 5 runs my toes are ice. Didn't used to happen but guess I'm getting old. Tips and tricks? Or do I need to just buy a heated liner or heated socks or something

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Unbuckle on chairlifts. Make sure your core is plenty warm. Beyond that yeah just get some heaters.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Was kinda nice down there in France. First two days was poo poo visibility due to fog. This was on the third day, with fog gone below 1800ish meters.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've dropped 40k vertical since Saturday, combination of Sugarbush and Mad River.

Mad River is a powder playground with country club waits right now.

Lower Paradise on Monday; Paradise was closed so I did the normal MRG woods dance just below the ropes to get into as much of it as I could. Today the whole thing was wide open with another foot of snow on top of it, and I was absolutely blasting glades I usually have to go very slowly through. Managed to do a hilarious but not bad missed turn on Paradise today where I lost both skis and somehow ended up holding what I thought was my ski pole but turned out to just be a random branch.

I love finding spots where foxes and other small critters have been through more recently than humans, even if it's less than reassurring from the "I ski solo mostly" perspective. Ah, well, I am well insured and if this poo poo eats me one day, remember that I died doing a thing I love: shivering, hopefully unconscious, under a pile of snow and brush.

And hey, we may not have "powder bowls" and "10k elevation" out here; I've also heard of exactly one resort avalanche here in the last 5 years and no one was seriously hurt.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Polarized goggles, yay or nay? Friend on our trip last week swore on it, but I didn't really try his goggles.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Polarized goggles, yay or nay? Friend on our trip last week swore on it, but I didn't really try his goggles.

Yay imo. Polarized good for sunny snow (esp ice) and water.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Polarized photochromic is a huge quality of life improvement over normal goggles in anything but very flat light, where you need a persimmon or other specific lens anyway. I replaced my ancient Zeal Link goggles with some (I think) Nomads last season and really like them. (They call their photochromic lenses “automatic”).

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

waffle enthusiast posted:

Polarized photochromic is a huge quality of life improvement over normal goggles in anything but very flat light, where you need a persimmon or other specific lens anyway. I replaced my ancient Zeal Link goggles with some (I think) Nomads last season and really like them. (They call their photochromic lenses “automatic”).

Yeah, photochromatic and polarized are very good quality of life enhancements. If I had to choose between one of them, I'd go polarized though.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
A mid week PTO day at Crystal turned out great with powder and no lines. I'm conflicted with how good the mountain is but it's just hard to commit to the distance and costs. Everyone who loves it has a cabin it seems. The wind did pick up and blow my buddy off his skis which made me laugh.
https://i.imgur.com/Kk0gaC1.mp4

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I was eyeing these Zeal Lookouts (the very least as a photochromic). I saw that they came with a lot of polarized options, that’s why I’m asking. Getting an opinions on the web on that, they’re all over the place.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I had some Zeal photo chromatic lenses and I really liked them but not as much as I like the I/O Mags. One blackout lens and one low light lens and you’re set.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Is anyone going to Mount snow this season?
I have a favor to ask if you are. My son is getting pretty heavy into snowboarding, and we went up earlier this season. He decided that he wants to get a patch from all the places he's gone to for his gear bag, but we didn't get one while we were up there.
If anyone's going let me know and I can venmo you the money for the patch and postage

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I had some Zeal photo chromatic lenses and I really liked them but not as much as I like the I/O Mags. One blackout lens and one low light lens and you’re set.
I have an Anon Sync with a sunny lens and a low light orange tinted one. It works fine as is. Last week however, the top part of the resort was sunny and the lower part was foggy. Thus the interest for a photochromatic goggle. So that I don't need to haul a second lens, since I ride without backpack (carrying it in the jacket seems a recipe for breaking it).

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I suppose you could get a more all-purpose photochromatic lens for the I/Os but the blackout lenses just look too good to ignore.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Any recommendations for a ski boot bag that also has room for a helmet and ideally some clothing like jacket/pant shells, thermals, goggles and gloves (gloves/googles realistically can just be shoved in the helmet/boots so not a huge concern there) that also can reliably fit in overhead bins? I know Dakine makes a few of various sizes but I'm having a bit of trouble sizing them. There's the DLX 75L for instance but 75L is backpacking backpack sized and the spec'd dimensions are larger than many carryon requirements. I'm thinking the Boot 50L would still be more than sufficient, but even that is weirdly dimensioned in terms of fitting in an overhead bin (listed at 19x14 x13 vs carry-ons being limited to 9 in the small dimension
e.g. 22x14x 9). I'm S/M sized so that does make fitting everything a bit easier.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Just make sure you carry it on, luggage conveyors like to nibble on them as a little treat and will ruin your trip.

There's a TikTok floating around of the aftermath that Southwest did on someone's soft boot bag.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A boot bag that fits all that stuff is not going to reliably fit in overhead bins. When I fly with skis my strategy is the following:

-Large padded roller ski bag (Dakine Fall Line) which has two pair skis, poles, all ski wear including base/mid/outerwear/socks/gloves, pack it right up to the 50 lbs checked bag limit. This is my only checked bag.

-Carry-on backpack/duffel with all other clothes and stuff, usually helmet ends up here. This goes into the overhead bin. I use an older version of this bag which is 60L and looks sturdier than the new 55L ones imo.

-Boots naked, strapped together with booster straps, carried on as my "personal item" for under the seat. These also go into the overhead bin if space isn't an issue on the flight.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 19, 2024

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

A boot bag that fits all that stuff is not going to reliably fit in overhead bins. When I fly with skis my strategy is the following:

-Large padded roller ski bag (Dakine Fall Line) which has two pair skis, poles, all ski wear including base/mid/outerwear/socks/gloves, pack it right up to the 50 lbs checked bag limit. This is my only checked bag.

-Carry-on backpack/duffel with all other clothes and stuff, usually helmet ends up here. This goes into the overhead bin. I use an older version of this bag which is 60L and looks sturdier than the new 55L ones imo.

-Boots naked, strapped together with booster straps, carried on as my "personal item" for under the seat. These also go into the overhead bin if space isn't an issue on the flight.

This is exactly the right move. The real reason to always carry on your ski boots is that they are the most crucial and difficult to replace/borrow piece of ski equipment you've got. You're asking for trouble if you put them in checked baggage. My trip to Chamonix last year spending a week skiing with a very well known pro skier (part of an organized trip I paid for not humblebragging about being bros with a famous person) who made the rookie mistake of checking his boots even though he knew better, and naturally his luggage got lost. Checked boots: Not even once.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Steve French posted:

My trip to Chamonix last year spending a week skiing with a very well known pro skier who made the rookie mistake of checking his boots even though he knew better, and naturally his luggage got lost.
"I can't believe you're a pro! I'm so much better than you!"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

For boot bags you can get other stuff in you want to look for the stuff racers use. I have a Leki bag that will take a good amount of gear, something like this

https://www.leki.com/ch/en/Skiboot-Bag-WCR-60L/360052006

I see a lot of similar Rossignol bags.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah my plan is definitely to carry on the boots. I have a big 2 ski padded roller bag that I normally use how you described bawfuls, but I'm not going to be bringing it this trip as it'll a) be significantly more expensive than renting quality skis due to LCC shiet + 4 flights of bag fees, and b) dealing with a big ski bag in Japan airports/trains is apparently a PITA, and I'm only going to be skiing for half the trip. Also worried ZipAir would actually hassle me for having 2 pairs of skis + gear in the bag even though most carriers dgaf about that.

Guess I'll probably end up throwing the helmet and other gear in a large checked bag, then bring my boots loose as a personal item (as suggested) along with my ski backpack on the plane.

also trip report: Tuesday ski'd great at Palisades due to the snow from the previous week and cool temps. Even got some fresh steepish turns going off the Granite lift lookers right as I believe they hadn't opened that lift until Monday and they must not've dropped the rope to the right until Tuesday. But Tuesday it warmed and basically rained all night at lower elevations which turned most of what was open on Wednesday into a sheet of ice (Resort Chair was actually OK but on the other side everything down from Far East was basically ice). Pretty sad even overnight temps didn't end up getting cold enough.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

There was still lots of snow in my favorite glades at MRG yesterday. It's cold as poo poo today, sub-10F. Tomorrow is gonna be a little warmer and I'll drag kiddo out, also taking work off tuesday to go to Sugarbush all day with a friend I haven't skiied with in a year.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

saw this in the parking lot, too :laugh:

I SEE WHERE YOUR TRUE ALLEGIANCES ARE

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

That little sticker is such a cop out anyway. A true fan would rock the full red and white bumper sticker.

Elsewhere, western Maine backcountry is in and skiing great. Nothing like the deep and fluffy VT has but it’s good and staying that way for the foreseeable future.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Welp. Bought new skis. Took ‘em out today and I think my season may be done. Knee is about a useful as a rusty hinge.

Cool cool.

Season’s just getting good too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Can’t you practically walk from Sugarbush to MRG?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Welp. Bought new skis. Took ‘em out today and I think my season may be done. Knee is about a useful as a rusty hinge.

Cool cool.

Season’s just getting good too.

Aw man. Sorry 😔

I also took new (to me) skis out today, Elan Wingman 82s, and had a blast and a half. Just furthered my belief, as a newish + intermediate skier, that all the dunderheads on Reddit who recommend a mid-90 mm width ski as a one-ski-quiver for new skiers are either idiots or assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Murgos posted:

Can’t you practically walk from Sugarbush to MRG?
Yes, they're all along the same range and connected via the Long Trail. There used to be a race every year that went from MRG to Sugarbush and took a handful of hours to do:

You'd start at MRG, skin up to the top, then along the Long Trail, do a run down Mt. Ellen (Sugarbush North), then skin up through Slide Brook/Villar Run over to Castlerock and then ski on down. They stopped it right before COVID, and I cannot see it coming back with current management of Sugarbush which is a real shame.