Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Do you guys think we'll begin experiments with aerosol based geo engineering anytime soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

AEMINAL posted:

Do you guys think we'll begin experiments with aerosol based geo engineering anytime soon?
no that would require giving a poo poo

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
only if inhaling the aerosols makes you buy more stuff

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

AEMINAL posted:

Cut me a check and ill make sure as much as 20% of the sulfur you paid for gets into the atmosphere. Did I mention my dad knows some guys?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AEMINAL posted:

Maybe out of desperation when the problems get worse and we have no other solutions at hand

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
we've been experimenting with geoengineering for 200 years

it's going great

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AEMINAL posted:

We’ve been doing it for years, just with soot.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

AEMINAL posted:

Yeah, three years ago. Unless you mean "just loving doing it" and not experiments in which case, maybe not. But The Stratospheric Controlled Perturbation Experiment out of Harvard, funded by Gates, was experimenting with chalk releases in 2021 and those probably continued through today. A startup called Make Sunsets has released sulfur dioxide (SO2) into the atmosphere using balloons, though fairly minor amounts - originally in Mexico until the MX government told them to gently caress off, now in Nevada.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
pitching my new startup. we're gonna put a big sunshade in space to fix the climate. accepting early stage investors now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Yeah, three years ago. Unless you mean "just loving doing it" and not experiments in which case, maybe not. But The Stratospheric Controlled Perturbation Experiment out of Harvard, funded by Gates, was experimenting with chalk releases in 2021 and those probably continued through today. A startup called Make Sunsets has released sulfur dioxide (SO2) into the atmosphere using balloons, though fairly minor amounts - originally in Mexico until the MX government told them to gently caress off, now in Nevada.

i think gates got stopped from doing his chalk experiment by norway or whoever it was.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

redleader posted:

pitching my new startup. we're gonna put a big sunshade in space to fix the climate. accepting early stage investors now

the Monsters in Springfield thought that M. Burns was trying to do this for nefarious purposes. Yet in the end he was just trying to keep the planet cool.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i was promised 10 inches but only got 6 degrees :mad:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently Western NY area is suppose to get really hit bad this weekend or something but I"m not really seeing anything, I keep hearing "it's going to be bad, state of emergency possible, sending in emergency crews"

I'm really not seeing poo poo on Tropical tidbits I see a potential for 5-7" of snow in 24 hrs.. and that's about it. some wind pushes through Sunday but nothing that I'm seeing is insane with massive winds or anything.

edit: Maybe the state is feeling bad when they ignored Buffalo and sent crews to NYC last year around Christmas.

tater_salad has issued a correction as of 17:17 on Jan 12, 2024

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Begun the cloud wars have

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sanamm...gh-the-country/

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the NWS is predicting nearly 50mph gusts in the random spot of western NY that I clicked.

seems pretty lovely to me

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

Apparently Western NY area is suppose to get really hit bad this weekend or something but I"m not really seeing anything, I keep hearing "it's going to be bad, state of emergency possible, sending in emergency crews"

I'm really not seeing poo poo on Tropical tidbits I see a potential for 5-7" of snow in 24 hrs.. and that's about it. some wind pushes through Sunday but nothing that I'm seeing is insane with massive winds or anything.

edit: Maybe the state is feeling bad when they ignored Buffalo and sent crews to NYC last year around Christmas.

WPC isn't showing really any potential that Western NY would get anything along what you're describing.

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/wssi/prob_wssi.php

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SirPablo posted:

WPC isn't showing really any potential that Western NY would get anything along what you're describing.

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/wssi/prob_wssi.php

this is what we're being shown..

https://twitter.com/markpoloncarz/status/1745814280862044451

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

the NWS is predicting nearly 50mph gusts in the random spot of western NY that I clicked.

seems pretty lovely to me

hmm.. That's probably a good reason.. I everything I saw was 20s mph.. which is less than idea but not 50.
Specifically they're focused on the Bills Steelers fooseball game which will be in orchard park NY.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

don't bendshame > : ((

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

that’s what she said?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

AEMINAL posted:

you are describing the Industrial Revolution, except we aren’t really writing anything down and don’t have a control

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Stereotype posted:

you are describing the Industrial Revolution, except we aren’t really writing anything down and don’t have a control

lmao

ah, I see my lab partners are the ones running things now

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
finally getting some real snow!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lol i'm supposed to drive across the southern tier sunday

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
i thought chains on tires hosed up roads

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

meanwhile in wisconsin

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

They do, but particularly so when they aren't needed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

lifehack: only use them on other peoples roads.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Went to buy some supplies just in case ERCOT shits the bed again. All the cheap water was already bought. gently caress you fellow Texans, I'm not gonna buy Dasani for something that might not even be a crisis. :argh:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

Went to buy some supplies just in case ERCOT shits the bed again. All the cheap water was already bought. gently caress you fellow Texans, I'm not gonna buy Dasani for something that might not even be a crisis. :argh:

Look at this pussy ~taking precautions~

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

put tap water in a container. one weirde trick

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SirPablo posted:

Look at this pussy ~taking precautions~

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

We're moving from southwest CT to near Tuscaloosa, AL this coming week. Are there any recommendations for something I can put a route into that will help me decide when is best to leave based on the weather forecast? For example, I talked to someone in the freight company's Arkansas HQ and she told me they're expecting to work from home Monday and Tuesday because of snow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
maybe they want to store up on all the nanoplastics

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

We're moving from southwest CT to near Tuscaloosa, AL this coming week.

GWBBQ posted:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

don't do this in any weather imo

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the vacuum of space approaches

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i say swears online posted:

don't do this in any weather imo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

1stGear posted:

just fill up your bathtub

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when y2k was about to hit i made my parents fill up the bathtub in case society ended. with this storm coming i'm like "maybe i can use the last of my phone battery to ubereats some soup"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
the funny thing is if the NFL game gets moved from Buffalo to Cleveland then Pittsburgh fans can easily drive over and Buffalo fans will be stuck.