Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Nodoze posted:

IIRC he was kind of a surly, grumpy guy towards the end of his career

That sounds like me except I haven't even hit 40 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

FlamingLiberal posted:

Kind of random news, but longtime Braves player Charlie Culberson is going to report to Braves minor league camp this year as a relief pitcher to try and continue his career

I am pulling for Charles Entertainment Clutchberson

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Randy was real lovely about paying child support, IIRC. I could be forgetting something.

He just generally seemed like was a mean motherfucker. Though that might have just been an act to intimidate batters? Idk

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 12, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

has stroman done anything actually lovely or has he just been rude to people on twitter

Signed with the Yankees

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

They put out a higher AAV than the Dodgers. Also if they matched the Dodgers offer they more than likely would have just bumped it up anyway, it's a moot point. It's not like they made a half assed offer, they put forth a real effort to sign him and he chose the Dodgers because he wanted to be there.

David Justice, Daryll Strawberry, David Wells, Dwight Gooden, Gary Shieffield

The list goes on. Again, mcmagic is just coping mad hard

Doc and Straw had drug problems. That is pretty different IMO than being a shithead. Wells is a chud but he's fine otherwise, he's just goofy. Why are Justice and Sheffield shitheads? They rule.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

They said he was the man who can extend anyone... but can he lock down a long term deal with... himself?
https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1745823079014543741

Yeah he's been in Gwinnett trying to convert since the start of last year but it was derailed when he got called up to sit on Atlanta's bench for like six weeks without a single appearance.

we're lucky to have him and this rules

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Career .316/.325/.500 hitter in the post-season.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

LobsterMobster posted:

Dansby Swanson’s body double is a nice dude

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

Doc and Straw had drug problems. That is pretty different IMO than being a shithead. Wells is a chud but he's fine otherwise, he's just goofy. Why are Justice and Sheffield shitheads? They rule.

Doc also had some other off the field issues. Justice and Sheffield also had the "they are jerks" tag, and IIRC Justice also had some off the field issues with Halle Berry

All those guys were malcontents in one way or another. Stroman fits the same bill, he isn't an outright piece of poo poo like Chapman or German

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RCarr posted:

He just generally seemed like was a mean motherfucker. Though that might have just been an act to intimidate batters? Idk

Yeah he seems like he was just one of those dudes who had to be mad all the time to compete. He seems quite chill now that he's just taking photos of stuff, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

RCarr posted:

When you're 6'10" and that ugly you are going to come across as a mean motherfucker even if you have Buck O'Neil's personality. Dude definitely did not need to do any acting to intimidate batters

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Sheffield admitted to intentionally botching defensive plays as a young player in order to force Milwaukee to trade him, which never gets brought up any more but is way worse than PEDs in my mind

He also picked up multiple DUIs

Fun hitter, but I don’t think any retelling of his career that pitches him as an overall solid dude is being altogether honest

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It can be true that Sheffield faced a lot of racist bullshit, especially early in his career, and also true that he's a grade A rear end in a top hat.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

in short, to the other FO’s the Dodgers say “get money"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Cubs ZIPs just dropped.

e: Zips projecting about 86-87 wins. Seems right about the place you'd want to add another couple upgrades to maximize your playoff chances.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 12, 2024

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

That rotation takes a hard dive after Imanaga. Jordan Montgomery, please?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Another starting pitcher and Cody and this team is looking pretty good. Cubs still lacking in power somewhat but Cody brings that and elite defense.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/PJ_Mooney/status/1745818148517843189

lol apparently Imanaga had been bumming around Chicago for weeks - well before the Cubs even extended him an offer - because his agency's main US office is here. Glad to hear he likes the area!

habeasdorkus posted:

Cubs ZIPs just dropped.

e: Zips projecting about 86-87 wins. Seems right about the place you'd want to add another couple upgrades to maximize your playoff chances.

The rotation desperately needs another mid-rotation or better arm, lineup needs 1-2 more above average bats, and the pen needs at least one, arguably two reliable arms so that Alzolay/Merryweather/Leiter don't end up shouldering 90% of meaningful relief innings and have their arms fall off again.

I'm tepid on the Cubs actually doing any of this but we'll see.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

no one can resist the lure of Wet Beef

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

When you're 6'10" and that ugly you are going to come across as a mean motherfucker even if you have Buck O'Neil's personality. Dude definitely did not need to do any acting to intimidate batters

There’s a clip that automatically comes to mind when I think of him where he throws at a batter and is walking off the mound towards him talking poo poo immediately after. But that’s probably something the majority of pitchers have done at one point so I probably shouldn’t hold it against him. That’s just like the main image of Randy that I have in my mind when he’s brought up.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The entire thesis of the piece is that it's not really about the money

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

RCarr posted:

There’s a clip that automatically comes to mind when I think of him where he throws at a batter and is walking off the mound towards him talking poo poo immediately after. But that’s probably something the majority of pitchers have done at one point so I probably shouldn’t hold it against him. That’s just like the main image of Randy that I have in my mind when he’s brought up.

Yeah, and to be fair, I'm only average height but definitely share Randy's other traits of being ugly and having a serious case of Resting Hardass Face, and I didn't gain traction in my white collar career until I started to lean into being intimidating. Brains are weird but people are actually more comfortable around you if you act in ways that conform to the impression they get from just looking at you.

Then again the Occam's Razor answer since I've never met the dude would just be that he's a dick.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 12, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

The entire thesis of the piece is that it's not really about the money

Yeah but I don't really buy that, no pun intended. As you pointed out previously the Rays are arguably just as good at drafting, developing, and trading as the Dodgers are, but no free agents are chomping at the bit and running complicated bidding war games just to sign there because they know the Rays aren't going to pay them. LA's whole strategy only works because on top of all the soft factor stuff that's attractive to players the article digs into, they're also sitting on one of the largest treasure hoards in MLB and have an ownership group that's willing to spend it.

I'm not even saying that's a bad thing: I wish more teams would spend like the Dodgers rather than the inverse, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend Ohtani and Yamamoto are both on the Dodgers right now if they're committed to running a $150M payroll.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Yeah but I don't really buy that, no pun intended. As you pointed out previously the Rays are arguably just as good at drafting, developing, and trading as the Dodgers are, but no free agents are chomping at the bit and running complicated bidding war games just to sign there because they know the Rays aren't going to pay them. LA's whole strategy only works because on top of all the soft factor stuff that's attractive to players the article digs into, they're also sitting on one of the largest treasure hoards in MLB and have an ownership group that's willing to spend it.

I'm not even saying that's a bad thing: I wish more teams would spend like the Dodgers rather than the inverse, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend Ohtani and Yamamoto are both on the Dodgers right now if they're committed to running a $150M payroll.

The money matters, but it's not the only thing. Look at how dysfunctional the Padres seem to be, or even the Yankees these days.

EDIT: I think we probably both agree on this, but it's not just as flat as "Spend money and you too can be the Dodgers!" just like it wasn't true that spending money in the 90s was the only difference between the Yankees and everybody else.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 12, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

The money matters, but it's not the only thing. Look at how dysfunctional the Padres seem to be, or even the Yankees these days.

EDIT: I think we probably both agree on this, but it's not just as flat as "Spend money and you too can be the Dodgers!" just like it wasn't true that spending money in the 90s was the only difference between the Yankees and everybody else.

Yeah I'm not talking about the competitive part, just the specific angle that FA's are attracted to the Dodgers not because of money but because of their sterling player development reputation and ubiquitous regular season success. Which yeah, I'm sure that's a draw, but it also doesn't hurt that if the Dodgers want a guy they're right in there at the top of the bidding war. When offers are the same or within the general ballpark of one another it's easy for the player to really consider those soft factors as a decider. In the Dodgers case it's about the money AND soft factors intertwining into one another that they're always usually going to be making the best or nearly the best offer, while also selling FA's extremely competent organization that's gonna get you to the postseason as a cherry on top.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

RCarr posted:

I remember reading somewhere that players on the Diamondbacks said Johnson was a great dude on every day he didn't start, and was a complete terror the days he did, which was the opposite of Schilling.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think Halladay also had the reputation of being a super nice guy four days out of five, but you did not even so much as look at him on his start day if you had any survival instinct

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I can't believe I'm saying this but man ya'll are being hard on mcmagic, he's allowed to not like a player

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Intruder posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but man ya'll are being hard on mcmagic, he's allowed to not like a player

Most of the time I've not liked a Yankee acquisition I've been right too lol

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Intruder posted:

Sure, but he’s being very stupid about it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think Halladay also had the reputation of being a super nice guy four days out of five, but you did not even so much as look at him on his start day if you had any survival instinct

Eee not touching that one

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh my god, the Giants gave Jordan Hicks 4 years, $44 million and plan to use him as a starter

Are they insane?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh my god, the Giants gave Jordan Hicks 4 years, $44 million and plan to use him as a starter

Are they insane?

Uhhh

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Sydin posted:

The Rays don't sign free agents and they play in a wretched rear end stadium. They also don't have the best reputation as far as treating players well vs just treating them as disposable assets

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

The money is a necessary but not sufficient condition for the Dodgers having their current roster.

But the reason free agents pick the Dodgers over other equivalent (or higher) offers is not "because the Dodgers spend money" it's all the other things i.e. player development.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

mcmagic posted:

Most of the time I've not liked a Yankee acquisition I've been right too lol

dawg you're not right, you just post poo poo that contradicts your other posts and memory hole all the poo poo you're wrong about. I don't know why I'm even bothering, just keep doing what you do as the best Yankees poster, please

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Here is the report

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1745867065670439348?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

it's fine that he doesn't like the Stroman signing but suggesting they should have just signed Bauer instead is an opinion worthy of ridicule

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I don't think that was a serious suggestion

But yeah equating the two is pretty out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

FlamingLiberal posted:

Are they insane?

They used Manaea as a reliever. There's some Mad Hatter in the front office just saying stupid poo poo and it's sticking.