Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I got a problem. I made a plex playlist with a bunch of music videos and it won't auto-play the next video. It will load it and not play - I have to push play. Dumb as poo poo. I'll be honest, I came here just to snipe and then this problem happened, it's a sign that computers loving suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

in the Netherlands she's called wijntje

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

in the Netherlands she's called wijntje

who is?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Work Hard Yes Play Hard Yes

WHYPHY

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so idk what the problem is here

new pc in the house on ethernet : speedtest gets to about 90 down and ping about 50

my sons pc in another room on 5g wifi about 50 down and same kinda ping

MY pc on the same 5g network gets 290 down and about 13 ping

it’s the first result that makes no sense. it’s a brand new pc, 12 logical core intel. only thing I is that it’s one step removed from the router as in my pc connecting via wifi directly to router where as that goes thru a second AP router

just realising the true test is run cable directly from ethernet port to pc and skip the AP router

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
either way it’s clear wifi is the superior transport mechanism

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also extremely bullshit but had to download LAN drivers to make even ethernet work. what kinds of clowns do they employ in IT ?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

sounds like your ethernet is 100mbit mode for some reason (bad drivers? bad cable?) and your son doesn't have a good wifi signal in his room

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
maybe there's a microwave in the middle and you can try unplugging it. idk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

graph posted:

maybe there's a microwave in the middle and you can try unplugging it. idk

there’s a tiled bathroom lol

Clark Nova posted:

sounds like your ethernet is 100mbit mode for some reason (bad drivers? bad cable?) and your son doesn't have a good wifi signal in his room

could be the cable tbh ??

hmmmmmm

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

it's not the cable
it is never the cable
it was the cable

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the cable is yellow
and one end the clip is broken

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

high speed cable removal

but yeah, swap it out and see if the router reports the speed for that port as 100mbit. if you downloaded a driver, maybe it originally defaulted to a lower speed and needs to be set to auto to get proper speeds

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the default setting would, I'd expect, be auto but who knows with mobo drivers

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my computer hasn’t crashed since I yoinked the WiFi and extra usb card, unplugged the foot switch I wasn’t using, and in stalled windows 11. no idea which did the trick but I’m happy now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
usb cards are notoriously fucky

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it happened with my powermac too. 15 years ago

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im about to have some computer problems today when i install all these 10gig cards in my computers, they're made for some snowflake rear end system i can't identify and the backplates are nonstandard so i cant screw em down. no big deal to have cables clipped into a card thats not anchored right

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

18 years ago? loving hell

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im in a declutter year, and im about to give a vintage mac/apple buddy of mine my original //gs. bought new in '87. it gave me so many years of learning and fun. time for it to go to an owner who can keep it set up and play wacky old games

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

the cable is yellow
and one end the clip is broken

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

does it say what kind of cable it is on it? if it says 100BASE-TX (or maybe "category 5") then its limited to 100 mbps

you want 1000BASE-T (category 5e or better)

e: although i guess some regular cat 5 cables can do gigabit? still a good thing to check

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 5, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also if your 5g gateway/wifi ap are 802.11ax it's possible that you're getting better speeds than ethernet because of MIMO

that was a surprise to me when doing a speed test on the only laptop i have that's capable of 802.11ax 4x4 (my ipad and iphone do 802.11ax 2x2, but they test at the same speed as 802.11ac)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cat5 will do gigabit in a pinch but the real cheap ones have only 2 out of 4 pairs which really does limit it to 100mbit.

that being said the last time I saw an honest to god cat5 cable that wasn't 5e was 10 years ago?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

spankmeister posted:

cat5 will do gigabit in a pinch but the real cheap ones have only 2 out of 4 pairs which really does limit it to 100mbit.

that being said the last time I saw an honest to god cat5 cable that wasn't 5e was 10 years ago?

there were a ton of them in the garage here at my parent's house lol. i looked at them just the other day and was reminded that they usually print the cable specs on them

we threw most of them out though, the jackets got all sticky from being in a florida garage without a/c

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you could use that trick to get 2 100mbit runs out of a single cable.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ugh. windows stopped recognizing my midi controller. can't really find anything on google about how to fix it. I am pretty sure the controller is fine, it works with my phone. welp

E: ahh I seem to have fixed it for now, there was a double version of the device after I showed hidden devices in device manager. deleted it, rebooted and it came back up

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 12, 2024

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

aaaaand it quit working again

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

linux

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

now that’s a computer problem

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Silver Alicorn posted:

aaaaand it quit working again

i would try deleting the driver associated with that spurious entry in device manager (if its different from the driver used for the real one). maybe unplug it, delete / reinstall drivers, replug it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that’s what I’ve been doing :sadcowboy:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

how much does mismatched memory really hurt performance?

I have an 8th gen i7 laptop with two 8GB DIMMS and a 16GB module I could replace one of them with

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dual channel is pretty dramatic. going from 16 to 24 will let leaky apps run a bit longer, but if it kicks you to single channel it'll be slower the whole way. I would leave it till i got a second matching 16

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

dual channel is pretty dramatic. going from 16 to 24 will let leaky apps run a bit longer, but if it kicks you to single channel it'll be slower the whole way. I would leave it till i got a second matching 16

also - and this is easy to miss - check the bios, or a system profiler like speccy or whatever, and make sure the timings / speed are right, make sure it's all working properly. i've had a number of modules not initially pick the fastest timings / right speed

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, gonna leave it as-is unless I figure out how to actually use up 24GB

Broken Machine posted:

also - and this is easy to miss - check the bios, or a system profiler like speccy or whatever, and make sure the timings / speed are right, make sure it's all working properly. i've had a number of modules not initially pick the fastest timings / right speed

it's a dell laptop so I can't change poo poo but the RAM is running at a blazing fast 2400mhz and in dual channel mode :toot:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I do see about a 25 FPS bump in FFXIV whenever i inadvertently gently caress up my bios and my ram sits at 2666 versus the 3200 that it's rated for that i flip it to

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
for some reason i now need admin permission (windows) to delete files on one specific SSD
any file written by any program, afaict
anyone know what i should be doing to figure out why this is happening?

edit: better info

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 17, 2024

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
check the permissions to see if it is in fact a permissions issue. if it is a permissions issue, check the inheritance settings on the file and check the permissions on the containing folder. if you are copying or moving a file from a place with different permissions, the inheritance might not be working like you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
managed to spot access to the recycle bin being denied in procmon
deleting the entire recycle bin fixed it
no idea how that happened. did notice that the recycle bin had a folder inside it labeled "Recycle Bin", at the root