Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

and Don Johnson just being an absolute bastard 70s grindhouse style, he's so good at being a nazi. What a film

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

just rented Brother. Takeshi rules.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

lol

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
i read a couple of zahlers books over christmas, and while they're actually pretty decent he has two major, and fairly weird obsessions. for one he really really likes to write bad things happening to good people, and worse things happening to bad peeps, and two: he's really, unimaginably obsessed with describing the racial and cultural backgrounds of his characters. he suspiciously often chooses to describe his characters not by their name, or some other 'neutral' descriptor, but purely as their background. "the jew opened his briefcase" etc. slightly sus

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm frequently reminded of a passage from some early-20th-century book I read in high school (honestly might have been Gatsby???) where a guy walks into a building and notes that there is "a lovely Jewess" sitting at the reception desk

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

coathat posted:

thats exactly the opposite of what happens and the message of the movie

very well. I remembered incorrectly

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

I'm frequently reminded of a passage from some early-20th-century book I read in high school (honestly might have been Gatsby???) where a guy walks into a building and notes that there is "a lovely Jewess" sitting at the reception desk

im reading some selected letters of engels' right now and kind of reeled when he goes off on ferdinand LaSalle for being selfinterested, a faux leftist populist, an opportunist leading the working class astray and uh, "a greasy Jew".

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

loquacius posted:

I'm intrigued as to what the author meant to convey. Was it that the woman looked Jewish and if so what that particular appearance was (olive skin, vaguely middle-eastern?), or if she was dressed in a stereotypically Jewish way (Orthodox?), or if all the receptionists were Jewish, or if the narrator could "just tell".

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
probably the last one as a confluence of many socioeconomic and cultural signifiers we all bear as wretched humans.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/TODAYshow/status/1745863241111044385?s=20

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ladies, is it gay to want to gently caress a dude

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
That dude yea

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

1stGear posted:

ladies, is it gay to want to gently caress a dude

there's nothing gayer

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

like gay in the pejorative way 12 year olds use the word or

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

That dude yea

team jacob

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

e: tbf I haven't seen Dragged Across Concrete yet because it's longer than his other ones

You're in for a treat. It's a very tense heist movie and also there's a scene black kids throw their orange soda at a white girl and Mel Gibson is convinced that this is just the kids' way of working their way up to raping her.

I don't really support Mel Gibson being cast in stuff but it'd be foolish for me to say that there isn't something added by having this well-known angry old racist man play the role.

Fighting Elegy has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Jan 12, 2024

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Buck Wildman posted:

Given her sexual orientation, I don't think so.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Buck Wildman posted:

She's prepping for her upcoming starring role in the Adam friedland biopic

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

:thanks:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

owns.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEgBlAr1dlI

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my kids watched Bee Movie yesterday and every time I walked into the room it was some new horrific bullshit. what even is that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq7L95i6f5o

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shageletic posted:

Never seen his movies but he does cop movies right? Oh and some sort of prison fight movie?

Plenty of great movies in the latter genre. I've also heard great things about the Undisputed movies.

he does hyper-violent nihilism and loves to “trigger” the libs. if that’s your cup of tea then knock yourself out.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's okay to like whatever you like as long as you aren't a jerk about it unless provoked. There's no fine line between schlock and great art. Many things are both, even more are the former pretending to be the latter.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

oscarthewilde posted:

i read a couple of zahlers books over christmas, and while they're actually pretty decent he has two major, and fairly weird obsessions. for one he really really likes to write bad things happening to good people, and worse things happening to bad peeps, and two: he's really, unimaginably obsessed with describing the racial and cultural backgrounds of his characters. he suspiciously often chooses to describe his characters not by their name, or some other 'neutral' descriptor, but purely as their background. "the jew opened his briefcase" etc. slightly sus

yea he’s super racist if you watch his movies this is apparent.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

he does hyper-violent nihilism and loves to “trigger” the libs. if that’s your cup of tea then knock yourself out.

i disagree with the second point, he is not a "i'm making this to trigger the libs" guy, that part of it is entirely incidental.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

nonathlon posted:

I'm intrigued as to what the author meant to convey. Was it that the woman looked Jewish and if so what that particular appearance was (olive skin, vaguely middle-eastern?), or if she was dressed in a stereotypically Jewish way (Orthodox?), or if all the receptionists were Jewish, or if the narrator could "just tell".

I looked it up and this was in fact in The Great Gatsby lmao

It was in the office of Meyer Wolfsheim, a(n obviously Jewish) gangster, so the answer to your question is definitely the last one and possibly the last two

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Triggering libs is ftw

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I don't know if anyones mentioned this yet, but the threads been on a bit of a Terry Pratchett fixation recently and Humble Bundle has 38 Discworld novels for $18 right now. Worth it for me to have digital copies, especially given the state of my paperbacks.

Link

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

DaysBefore posted:

Triggering libs is ftw

ngl, this is true.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ymgve posted:

the aliens try to kill one specific dude, because he talked to someone else about the idea that there were other, more predatory aliens out there, an idea that clearly no one ever in the history of humanity has ever thought about

this dude then uses his special "targeted by the aliens" status to get the government to give him a dream wife and a cabin in a scenic valley

i see so what youre saying is that the aliens are a metaphor for trump and this guy is everyone trump has ever fired

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Am I losing my goddamn mind here or are they releasing a sequel to the 1996 disaster drama "Twister" with the Alien/Aliens title scheme

i was thinking it looked more like the friends logo actually

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Excuse me that is the official Twister Sans-Serif typeface show some respect.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

so no one told you warm and cold air could converge this waaay
*CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

Triggering libs is ftw

im permabanned poster libstomper2607,

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

twister is a great movie so theres no way the sequel wont be loving stupid and filled with bad over the top unbelievable cgi

the reveal of the first tornado as they drive past the treeline into the open, so good. its a monster movie but the monster is weather

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

twister is a great movie so theres no way the sequel wont be loving stupid and filled with bad over the top unbelievable cgi

GET READY FOR A CGI PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN GHOST!!!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

the protagonists are in a bad spot. theyre about to die. suddenly one of them has a flashback. it's the PSH suck zone monologue scene from twister 1. he gets up and moves to the door. "where are you going?!?!" someone screams, barely audible over the sound of wind. "we're going up and out!" he yells back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Some Guy TT posted:

<walks up to whiteboard with "FRIENDS" written on it, crosses out the "S">
"It's only a matter of time, we just have to wait to see who will star."