Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Twerk from Home posted:

All the alternatives have been gutted. Greyhound has been a miserable experience for a while, but now they don't even have stations anymore and people just wait in empty lots with no access to restrooms or water. poo poo, no shelter even.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2023/11/23/as-greyhound-stations-go-extinct-low-income-thanksgiving-travelers-are-left-out-in-the-cold

some rich rear end in a top hat can't make enough money on it so sorry you're hosed and have to risk driving. and people complain about old people on the roads, well what choice do they have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

spacemang_spliff posted:

I really hate that there's no options for elderly people except to drive.

this is one of the greatest evils of car-centric designs, there must be tens of millions of elderly people who would be much happier if they could just exit their building and wheel themselves over to hang out on a sidewalk or in a park or in a square or something instead of being 100% isolated in car-oriented areas. when i lived in china there were always old people tottering around in their pajamas and meeting up at parks, in italy last year I noticed that even tiny villages have piazzas with places for people to socialize that are full of seniors. contrast that with americans in sprawl, unable to leave their homes because there's nowhere they can go without a car

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my grandma's driving career ended a few years ago when she tboned a car as she was pulling out of the senior center. she was like 87. everyone was very lucky the poor other driver didn't have their kid in the car that day.

her car was totalled and the first thing she started talking about was going to the dealership to get a new one.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
i wonder what the plan for seniors was when city planners dreamed up car centric designs decades ago. or if it’s more like, the plan is to grind up old people when they’re done being in nuclear families

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"well their families will take care of them of course"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pink Mist posted:

the plan is to grind up old people when they’re done being in nuclear families

Remember when the largest mass death event in America's history happened and the narrative was "most of the dead were old and useless to capital so it's fine, actually"?

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Remember when the largest mass death event in America's history happened and the narrative was "most of the dead were old and useless to capital so it's fine, actually"?

80% of economic production takes place indoors between the ages of 15 and 65

I guess it’s optimistic to assume that hadn’t taken hold yet when car culture came about

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

everything is an individual consumer responsibility now. also since the grid failure in Texas everyone is doing their damndest to make electric service a personal responsibility too, a huge generator store opened here and they're slamming every media outlet with "THE ELECTRIC GRID CAN NO LONGER BE RELIED ON, BUY A GENERATOR" ads.

This is how Puerto Ricans get by after hurricanes when their power grid fails constantly

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

everything is an individual consumer responsibility now. also since the grid failure in Texas everyone is doing their damndest to make electric service a personal responsibility too, a huge generator store opened here and they're slamming every media outlet with "THE ELECTRIC GRID CAN NO LONGER BE RELIED ON, BUY A GENERATOR" ads.

there's a ton of billboards in NY state now that are basically "DISASTER IS COMING; BE PREPARED"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

my grandma's driving career ended a few years ago when she tboned a car as she was pulling out of the senior center. she was like 87. everyone was very lucky the poor other driver didn't have their kid in the car that day.

her car was totalled and the first thing she started talking about was going to the dealership to get a new one.

My wife's grandmother has totaled 2 cars in the last couple of years because she keeps crashing into other cars. Her children finally told her they wouldn't support her getting another car, so she phoned up her brother who helped her buy a new one. No one will insure her so far, but that's probably not going to stop her.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My wife's grandmother has totaled 2 cars in the last couple of years because she keeps crashing into other cars. Her children finally told her they wouldn't support her getting another car, so she phoned up her brother who helped her buy a new one. No one will insure her so far, but that's probably not going to stop her.

The Dead Milkmen are together and making music again, it's time for a new Bitchin' Camaro about grandma.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i loving hate this poo poo so much. i dealt with individual generators, individual water delivery, walled compounds and a guard at every gate in west africa and that's clearly a sign of a failing society. seeing it happen here by upper-middle class dipshits voluntarily just makes me seethe

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

I really hate that there's no options for elderly people except to drive. My mom is 76, and while she's still all there mentally (as much as a 76 year old can be) she has all of the problems elderly people have. She goes to visit my brother and his kids which is a 2.5 hour drive on I-35 and two lane highways. I hate that she has to drive everywhere because the roads are full of dumbass maniacs

My mom just turned 77. She lives in a neighborhood where one of the only exits is onto a busy (at times) four-lane road. Also, said busy road has a sharp curve less than 500 feet from the exit. My mom was waiting to turn left at around 5 PM ("rush hour") and had a clearing on the left side (where the curve is). There was a car traveling towards her from the right. She was ready to start her turn but then this car suddenly pulled a u-turn in front of her at 50 mph. So she didn't move and slowly made the turn onto the busy roadway. A large brodozer happened to be behind her and started honking at her to go. She was shaken up by almost being hit and didn't need to be honked at. The young dude in the truck pulled up alongside her and started honking again and pounding his window. At the next red light, he rolled down the window and started calling her a dumb oval office who needs to learn how to drive. When she told me that, I was shaking with rage on the inside.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Alobar posted:

this wasn't oakland, but it was in berkeley, of all places (loving lol)

i was driving to work (i swear, it's my gf's car!! it's not mine! i swear i have a gf!) and i pull up to the last stoplight before work (i loving hate berkeley, love my job ;_;)

i'm taking a right at the stoplight and there are two lanes, one turning left and one going straight/turning right. dude pulled up on my left and wants me to roll down my window, so i turned the music off (93.3FM IYKYK) and rolled down the window.

dude says "i can tell by the way that you drive that you're a little bitch."

i was kinda stunned, but managed to get out a "gently caress you" as he starts driving forward in the lane. he hits the brakes and slowly backs up.

it's at this moment that i realize that, leaned back in the front passenger seat, is a small child. dude says something like "i'll beat your rear end in front of my daughter."

i can't remember what i said exactly because the situation was so ridiculous it short circuited my brain or something, but it was probably something like "what the gently caress ever, gently caress off," which he immediately did because the light had turned green and he wasn't about to actually get out of the car to try to fight me (i would have just driven off anyway.)

one thing that i do have a strong opinion on is that if people actually want to fight then they probably don't know how to fight very well. i was at this big concert recently and these two 40-something's were going at it and i had to be like "hey hey hey HEY HEY! HEY! HEY!!! STOP! YOU GO THAT WAY AND YOU GO THAT WAY! IT'S OVER!" getting in between them because wtf we're trying to listen to music and there's kids around and poo poo. 5 seconds after one guy storms off, the other guy brings me in close like we're buddies to whisper to me some poo poo about he's a BJJ world champion or something. while he's running his mouth about that, in my head i'm thinking "i know kung fu. *gong noise/wu tang beat starting*" but yeah that weird because he was a total complete stranger and he was very much in my personal space.

anyway, cars should be banned except for emergencies and choices in general should be public transit, bicycle, or walk.

try major car manufacturers for crimes against humanity.
Anytime anyone tries to get lovely with you in front of their young children, just tell the kids that their parents are lying to them about Santa Claus, they're the ones who buy and wrap the gifts, then use Santa Claus to blackmail them into being good.

There is no virtue in a proportional response.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ham Equity has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Jan 12, 2024

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my grandpa gave up driving last year at 97 cause he physically couldnt get out of the car and walk around when he got somewhere cause his legs got so bad. he had been driving for several years with one eye closed due to worsening double vision. the family dodged major catastrophe that no one was hurt.

his 90 year old best friend was laughing at him but then he just lost his license when pulling out of a space without looking and totalling several cars in the resulting accident. get owned, old dudes. get owned.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

WaryWarren posted:

My mom just turned 77. She lives in a neighborhood where one of the only exits is onto a busy (at times) four-lane road. Also, said busy road has a sharp curve less than 500 feet from the exit. My mom was waiting to turn left at around 5 PM ("rush hour") and had a clearing on the left side (where the curve is). There was a car traveling towards her from the right. She was ready to start her turn but then this car suddenly pulled a u-turn in front of her at 50 mph. So she didn't move and slowly made the turn onto the busy roadway. A large brodozer happened to be behind her and started honking at her to go. She was shaken up by almost being hit and didn't need to be honked at. The young dude in the truck pulled up alongside her and started honking again and pounding his window. At the next red light, he rolled down the window and started calling her a dumb oval office who needs to learn how to drive. When she told me that, I was shaking with rage on the inside.

for my own sanity my mom doesn't tell me that poo poo but that's exactly what I'm talking about. i'm sure that guy if he saw your mom at the grocery store or something wouldn't scream at her and call her a dumb oval office but carbrain is like the rage virus from that 2000s zombie movie

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, the worst time to suddenly get aggro is when you're controlling 6,000-8,000 lbs of steel and glass.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

we finally got meemaw in a retirement community where nobody has to drive anywhere and if we hadn't I wouldn't have put it past her to steal one of my parents cars or pay someone to borrow a car or something.

much like everything else the solution to old folks and cars is walkable communities with short distance mass transit, so, lol.

Apr 7, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

Yeah, the worst time to suddenly get aggro is when you're controlling 6,000-8,000 lbs of steel and glass.

The new EV Hummer weighs nearly 10,000 lb and goes 0-60 in 3.9s, a fact that commercials emphasized by showing LeBron James driving one recklessly.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

we finally got meemaw in a retirement community where nobody has to drive anywhere and if we hadn't I wouldn't have put it past her to steal one of my parents cars or pay someone to borrow a car or something.

much like everything else the solution to old folks and cars is walkable communities with short distance mass transit, so, lol.

She lives on a dirt road miles from town, and all the surrounding properties are farms. Just a totally isolated old woman with severe health problems and no practical transportation or community.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

spacemang_spliff posted:

I really hate that there's no options for elderly people except to drive. My mom is 76, and while she's still all there mentally (as much as a 76 year old can be) she has all of the problems elderly people have. She goes to visit my brother and his kids which is a 2.5 hour drive on I-35 and two lane highways. I hate that she has to drive everywhere because the roads are full of dumbass maniacs

my dad took my mom to the airport six hours before her flight because the airport is 90 minutes from their house and he can't reliably drive in the dark.

I asked him why he didn't just get her an Uber and he went off about rapists.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Are there any communities with moving walkways like they have in airports? That would rule.

15 minute walking cities? No, how about 15 minute non-walking cities.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I was once showing my grandma a picture and she asked me to bring it closer since she was blind in her right eye. She'd been half blind since birth and kept it secret, even from her children, because, and I quote, "They wouldn't have given me a driver's license." I have no idea if any of this is true or if it was a weird bit because she died literally two hours later.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when my grandma was 80 she decided it was time to go into a home and lasted about six months before she got sick of the bills (i think it was something crazy like five grand a month) so now she's on the fringe suburbs of phoenix and drives everywhere at 90 years old

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Old people are badass

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

Old people are badass

my last thought before a centenarian great grandma with dementia turns me into a red paste in the crosswalk with her F150

mystes
May 31, 2006

i say swears online posted:

when my grandma was 80 she decided it was time to go into a home and lasted about six months before she got sick of the bills (i think it was something crazy like five grand a month) so now she's on the fringe suburbs of phoenix and drives everywhere at 90 years old
old folks homes are insanely expensive yeah. I would imagine they aren't actually affordable for pretty much anyone now.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
The retirement home my grandma ended up in in 2013 costs $11,000/month for a small, dingy room. A nicer room in the modern wing cost over $20,000/month. lol lmao

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Ham Equity posted:

Anytime anyone tries to get lovely with you in front of their young children, just tell the kids that their parents are lying to them about Santa Claus, they're the ones who buy and wrap the gifts, then use Santa Claus to blackmail them into being good.

Honestly it's just not worth the risk to engage with anyone who acts like this since they probably have a gun and are looking for a reason to use it. I have to check myself when biking that I don't get overly confrontational because I have no doubts that someone would run me over/shoot me because I kicked their fender when they almost hit me. I also have no delusions that the cops will help me out or side with me if I damage someones car even if that damage happened when they ran me over on purpose.

Apr 7, 2003

raggedphoto posted:

Honestly it's just not worth the risk to engage with anyone who acts like this since they probably have a gun and are looking for a reason to use it.

it's 100% this

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

someone stopped and let me cross at a certain marked crosswalk, as they are legally obligated to do, for the first time ever yesterday :unsmith:

the jeep suv behind them started blaring their horn as soon as I stepped off the sidewalk :smith:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Airline guy Wendover talks about Brightline and generally talks pretty positively about passanger rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmpyV4Yf8b0

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

spacemang_spliff posted:

Saw a news article about preparations for the chiefs dolphins playoff game Saturday since it's going to be so cold in KC and htis was the picture the KC Star used

lol look how much empty space is devoted to parking at the truman sports complex

you could add 3 more arrowhead stadiums in the area devoted to parking lmao fuckin hate cars

although ironically enough that parking lot has an entrance to a bike path that goes all the way across MO to just south of St Louis

e: an even better pic of a Royals game

lmao

that place has to be hell on a hot sunny day

WaryWarren posted:

The retirement home my grandma ended up in in 2013 costs $11,000/month for a small, dingy room. A nicer room in the modern wing cost over $20,000/month. lol lmao

:catstare:

Megamissen has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Jan 12, 2024

Apr 7, 2003

also on every other kind of day

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ham Equity posted:

drat. So badass

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
kid is just gonna spit on you and call you a liar because the carton of smoked dad gave him on 12/27 were definitely not wrapped.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
nah imo the better option is to kill them with kindness. "okay, have a nice day". not worth getting into with someone who is probably either just having a bad day or hosed up on pills (or lack of pills).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

my bony fealty posted:

my last thought before a centenarian great grandma with dementia turns me into a red paste in the crosswalk with her F150

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

WaryWarren posted:

Marriott residency inn would only be ~3-6k a month. And you get your place cleaned every day, and you get breakfast every morning. they are usually in places that are close to transportation lines.

l

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

no lube so what posted:

Marriott residency inn would only be ~3-6k a month. And you get your place cleaned every day, and you get breakfast every morning. they are usually in places that are close to transportation lines.

l

no way the cleaning lady is helping when you break a hip though