Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
LETS GO ALAN WAKE 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
My Time in Sandrock as GOTY or gtfo!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I for one, can't wait to see Armored Core VI get goty and make it like what, the third win for from software?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AC6 was tits but there were numerous better games this year.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

We're all agreeing to act surprised when BG3 is #1, right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's Baldur's Gate 3. It just is. I know this probably doesn't sit well with some because this is SA and it's such a normie take after all the post release hype, but really nothing else came close this year.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also it's way too late to update my list but I really wish I had put Ghostrunner 2 on it instead of Aliens Dark Descent but I didn't start it until last week. Way better game than Aliens though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

veni veni veni posted:

It's Baldur's Gate 3. It just is. I know this probably doesn't sit well with some because this is SA and it's such a normie take after all the post release hype, but really nothing else came close this year.

Hell, I finally started to chip away at act 3 again and I'm falling in love with it all over again, I love how lively the city feels and it's cool seeing sidequests from act 1 get closure. Hopefully I can beat it before LAD8 comes out.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

veni veni veni posted:

Also it's way too late to update my list but I really wish I had put Ghostrunner 2 on it instead of Aliens Dark Descent but I didn't start it until last week. Way better game than Aliens though.

There's always 2024 list!

That's why I make it simple for myself and cut it off in November so I do a Dec-Nov 12 month period.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

AC6 was tits but there were numerous better games this year.

Picked it up during the winter sale and can confirm it owns.
That said yeah it's bg3.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Gollum chanting intensifies

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Gollum with arms spread open, standing in front of a map showing how total his victory was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gollum wasn't even the worst game of 2023.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
As a world renowned GOTY authority I'm calling my shot. This will be your top 10 for 2023:

1. Baldur's Gate 3
2. Tears of the Kingdom
3. Armored Core 6
4. Cyberpunk 2.0
5. Street Fighter 6
6. Alan Wake 2
7. Octopath 2
8. Lies of P
9. Hi-Fi Rush
10. REm4ke

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Octo 2 will actually be Top 5 or 6 based on my reading of things, it got a ton of votes.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is gonna be GOTY 2024 and this is simply known

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unfortunately for IW, a Final Fantasy Fourteen expansion comes out this year, lmao

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ImpAtom posted:

Gollum wasn't even the worst game of 2023.

Well, no, it was the best one. Haven't you been reading this thread?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Me, clicking on to page 29 to finish reading all the lists before GOTY begins: :dance:

Me, running right into The 7th Guest's Top 50: :negative:

BigOwlGuyBMJ
Dec 13, 2022
Let’s go Victoria 3!

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

I'm ready for the real Video Games Awards show... which is you know actually about the games that came out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hearing reports that this countdown will mostly be about VG shilling his new cryptocurrency Veegcoin :thunkher:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tulip posted:

7. Armored Core 3

3rd gen Armored Core is just...so loving good. I didn’t play the entire series this year so I don’t feel like I can sincerely put Silentline on here, but other than Silent Line, AC3 is just so clearly the best Armored Core. It’s really disappointing how weak the series has gotten since then, Armored Core 6 is the most I’ve ever been disappointed in a game, but fortunately 3 is still playable and still just absolutely loving slaps; I played it right after playing Deus Ex and it fully knocked Deus Ex out of my top 10, that’s how much I loved this game. Obscenely satisfying experience.

I poked this with a stick last night and between the violently loud beeping noise every time your LOS crosses an enemy and the frankly perplexing controls, I'm finding it pretty hard to get into. I think the controls would be less of an issue if it were slower-paced like something like MechWarrior, but it seems like it wants you to be zooming around the battlefield and dodging incoming fire. I was not expecting to find a complete lack of analog stick support in a PS2 game!

Now I'm wondering if I want to keep trying 3, or jump ahead to Nexus or AC4.

Ineffiable posted:

There's always 2024 list!

That's why I make it simple for myself and cut it off in November so I do a Dec-Nov 12 month period.

I do the same, basically following the same schedule as the Cacowards.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
AC was mostly famous for galaxy brained controls before From got famous for a lot of other things

Morphogenic96 posted:

I'm ready for the real Video Games Awards show... which is you know actually about the games that came out.

Hoping for a lot of world premieres

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Muppets better show up at this awards show

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If tears of the kingdom doesn't crack top 10 I will be very shocked.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Arist posted:

The Muppets better show up at this awards show

I'm already here :confused:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alxprit posted:

If tears of the kingdom doesn't crack top 10 I will be very shocked.

Calling my shot now, it's #2

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Baldurs Gate will win, but I know in my bones, even knowing what a monumental once in a twenty year achievement BG3 is, Alan Wake II Gollum should win

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Frankly, if anything people were a lot colder on TotK than I expected. Wouldn't be surprised if it barely made top 3, there's a lot of ballots that didn't list any Nintendo games at all but still highly rated BG3, Alan Wake, Armored Core, etc.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

you sound like one of those disco elysium guys lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think just in general there's going to be less of a gulf in votes between the top 5 especially than we're used to seeing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'm up for a nailbiter

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I heard Alan Wake 2 was pretty good, if I cared at all about opening EGS I might consider it but survival horror games aren't a genre I'm that enthusiastic about

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Runa posted:

I heard Alan Wake 2 was pretty good, if I cared at all about opening EGS I might consider it but survival horror games aren't a genre I'm that enthusiastic about

It’s worth it for the amazing narrative and atmosphere even if you don’t like survival horror. (I’m not a huge fan either outside of Silent Hill 2 which again I love more for the narrative).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The survival horror aspect is deeply unappealing to me and I thought the flashlight mechanic was dumb in 1, but on the other hand literally nobody I know who gushes about it talks about that stuff at all so there's clearly something else going on. That stuff seems like a clear sideshow to what people actually find appealing about the game. I'll try it eventually I think but not at full price

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I loving love flashlights

Doom 3 was the greatest game ever made

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm a giant scaredy-cat who hates horror and survival games, and I absolutely loved Alan Wake 2. There are jumpscares, and you get attacked by things in the dark while trying to manage your resources (really just ammo, you don't have to worry about food or water or anything), but if you're like me you can just turn the difficulty to story and focus on unraveling the mystery and exploring the cool world.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ll play it when it comes to Steam, which will be shortly after Bloodborne does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Need that physical release, bub