Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

America has a clear game plan on winning asymmetrical wars: complain the other guys did not fight fair, torture and kill a lot of civilians, and then say you won actually after you get kicked out of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Best Friends posted:

America has a clear game plan on winning asymmetrical wars: complain the other guys did not fight fair, torture and kill a lot of civilians, and then say you won actually after you get kicked out of the country.

the millenium challenge way!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

This is actually not a complex problem. You just need a larger number of good enough, smaller, ships rather than incredibly expensive ships that try to do everything.

You disperse forces but mass fires.

I don't think the current problem is with the platforms (although that's also a problem), it's with the current paradigm for AA in the us military in general. It's highly optimized against a few high end threats like manned strike planes, cruise missiles, etc. So the weapons are highly capable against relatively large and hot and very fast targets. Against lots of small, slow, cool targets, they have acquisition problems and also just don't have the staying power due to limited number of ready rounds, limited number of VLS cells, etc.

Mid caliber autocannons with proximity-fused explosive fragmentation ammo guided by optical or IRST are probably ideal for this since they have good range and short travel times, can more or less guarantee a kill with a smaller number of rounds (maybe even one), and don't have either the crazy rof issues with current CIWS that run themselves out of ammo quickly or the very limited stores you get with VLS missile interceptors.

ofc the us mic being what it is they're probably getting some stupid as gently caress laser instead

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

The great thing is also the USN has most of its assets either coming from, going to, or in the Middle East and has a single carrier group and some destroyers to take on China if push came to shove.

Are they refitting the USS Ronald Reagan in Japan? Is that usual?

BillsPhoenix posted:

An LCS burned down in San Diego because they decided to make a highly flammable warship. Not sure they have any purpose beyond defense company enrichment.

Do you mean the USS Bonhomme Richard or did I miss another ship fire? It was a wasp class baby carrier / dock ship.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BillsPhoenix posted:

An LCS burned down in San Diego because they decided to make a highly flammable warship. Not sure they have any purpose beyond defense company enrichment.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ardennes posted:

The great thing is also the USN has most of its assets either coming from, going to, or in the Middle East and has a single carrier group and some destroyers to take on China if push came to shove.

Speaking of which the first Constellation frigate got delayed again, and it is going to be 2027 at the earliest before it can even be launched and perhaps 2029-2030 before it is fully operational. China has 4 frigates currently in the process of launching or fitting out.

My lib friends assure me the gap in shipbuilding is fine actually and the PLAN are all crisis actors that will sink immediately once an air wing is launched and that fighting the people that can spam ships and missiles and ship based missiles on their doorstep is something the US can easily pull off.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

skooma512 posted:

My lib friends assure me the gap in shipbuilding is fine actually and the PLAN are all crisis actors that will sink immediately once an air wing is launched and that fighting the people that can spam ships and missiles and ship based missiles on their doorstep is something the US can easily pull off.

The US getting outproduced by the rotting corpse of the long defeated USSR gives me confidence they could take on the country that produces half the world's steel actually.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

the motto continues "burning however..."

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Are they refitting the USS Ronald Reagan in Japan? Is that usual?

It will re-fit back in the US, but it is in dock until the Washington is ready with the USS Ford going back to the US. It is pretty much the Eisenhower in the Red Sea and the Carl Vinson in the Pacific.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Jan 12, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

genericnick posted:

The US getting outproduced by the rotting corpse of the long defeated USSR gives me confidence they could take on the country that produces half the world's steel actually.

Good thing our wunderwaffe planes are all titanium :smug:

Mein Fuhrer... titanium comes from....

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

It's wild because to me, a novice in naval warfare, it seems like the dominant technology has always been the one that can accurately hit at the longest range. The era of the battleship was defined by large naval cannons that could hit from over the horizon, the era of aircraft carriers was defined by carrier groups carrying hundreds of planes fighting fleets a hundred miles away. Ship and submarine based guided missiles seem like the obvious next step in that evolution, something that can be fired from hundreds of miles away in mass, from relatively cheaply produced ships.

But nah let's build a loving railgun that will destroy itself after 4 shots and have to be replaced

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

It's wild because to me, a novice in naval warfare, it seems like the dominant technology has always been the one that can accurately hit at the longest range. The era of the battleship was defined by large naval cannons that could hit from over the horizon, the era of aircraft carriers was defined by carrier groups carrying hundreds of planes fighting fleets a hundred miles away. Ship and submarine based guided missiles seem like the obvious next step in that evolution, something that can be fired from hundreds of miles away in mass, from relatively cheaply produced ships.

But nah let's build a loving railgun that will destroy itself after 4 shots and have to be replaced

Kennedy voice: We choose to build this railgun in this decade and do the other things, not because they are practical, but because they are cool

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

skooma512 posted:

people who arent connected to reality desperately trying to find a way to explain why the us deserves its position in the world, creating a border wall against potential thoughts about whether or not that position is deserved, sustainable, or good for anyone at all

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

also you look at the development hell stuff goes through and the years of delays and poo poo then look at the specs and.... its got aegis and vertical launch tubes and phalanx ciws and a 5 inch gun? like every other ship from the last 40 years?

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

My bad, confused fires. The Milwaukee and Corando had smaller multi day fires that didn't destroy the ships.

It's got to be good multiple ship classes are highly combustible.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

This is actually not a complex problem. You just need a larger number of good enough, smaller, ships rather than incredibly expensive ships that try to do everything.

You disperse forces but mass fires.

High low works. However everyone wants more of the high so they don't get nearly enough of the low, then it just doesn't work.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

To me a good sci-fi railgun should be basically frictionless. When they vomit out one that self destructs with use because magnets are hard and physics say hello I feel like the dream hasn't been delivered on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the only rail gun i respect is a train car artillery piece

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

chinas also building rail guns tho

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Stairmaster posted:

I mean we had them in Quake 2 that was in the 90s can't be that hard to build.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
With this new wunderwuffan we'll have a hundred fold force multiplier. We'll be unstoppable. Yeah we can probably downsize a bit. A lot.

What do you mean everyone else has them now too? Wait theirs are better? Oh it'll be fine, we have really fancy powerpoint presentations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I get the feeling a lot of the stuff china is also building is analogous to the soviets building a space shuttle before realizing it's really stupid; they have to be certain there's nothing to it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm p sure china could just build a sci-fi boondoggle or two as a flex and not even have to care whether they're useful or not

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah I'd say the difference is China isn't putting all their eggs in the scifi boondoggle basket

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KomradeX posted:

Yeah I'd say the difference is China isn't putting all their eggs in the scifi boondoggle basket

id say another is that china actually produces eggs while the us produces powerpoints and 3d renders of eggs and then runs out of money

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
China has developed this MHD generator that uses h2-o2 explosions to generate pulsed power that at least would solve the “shitload of capacitors” problem.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3208795/chinese-scientists-build-hypersonic-generator-power-hungry-weapons-future

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So, the big strike on Yemen yesterday doesn't seem to have done much damage. Did the US whiff the strike on purpose to purely save face while trying to avoid overtly antagonizing the Yemeni or did that represent what the carrier group could actually do?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySlippers posted:

So, the big strike on Yemen yesterday doesn't seem to have done much damage. Did the US whiff the strike on purpose to purely save face while trying to avoid overtly antagonizing the Yemeni or did that represent what the carrier group could actually do?

It was a devastating expertly carried out strike by the US & our loyal puppy dog once known as the UK, to show our full might in anger and to warn anyone else who threatens our international rules based order.

(taps earpiece) Really? Wow okay. Yeah. Alright. Yeah good luck to you too.

It was a limited warning strike. To show that we could launch a devasating attack, if we really wanted to.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

I’ve got to imagine that after the near decade of constant bombings utilizing US targeting data, the US just doesn’t have a lot of good targets. plus the three neurons still firing in Joe’s head probably want to limit the risk of an accidental massacre, at least in the opening week.

which all also seems like a good reason to not pick this fight in the first place but you don’t make it to the decision conference calls by believing any limits to American power exist.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Biden is just creating a wave of "doing something" news to push the "Israel getting hosed" "shipping rate doubled!" news off the frontpage. Obviously he doesn't care how many pitiful personnel are being sent by the other Anglo countries, he is just trying to create the doggiest "coalition" headlines.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Coalition of one carrier group led by the USS Still Got It and a lone UK frigate, who is just happy to be there getting noticed.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Best Friends posted:

plus the three neurons still firing in Joe’s head probably want to limit the risk of an accidental massacre, at least in the opening week.

This has never to any US president ever

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

It will re-fit back in the US, but it is in dock until the Washington is ready with the USS Ford going back to the US. It is pretty much the Eisenhower in the Red Sea and the Carl Vinson in the Pacific.

ty

Best Friends posted:

I’ve got to imagine that after the near decade of constant bombings utilizing US targeting data, the US just doesn’t have a lot of good targets.

A lot of that bombing was done directly by the USA.

KomradeX posted:

This has never to any US president ever

I'm sure he cares as far as it affects his reelection chances

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay this dude writes very long threads and he's also the guy who said that bad Chinese tires in Mar 2022 meant that Russia was going to lose in Ukraine, but ...

code:
https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1715782930075734126
code:
https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1744465661248544810
he says that both the Littoral Combat Ship and the Constellation-class frigates lack sufficient VLS launchers to be able to defend themselves against the kinds of threats that current ships have been defending themselves against in the Red Sea

... which means that even if these ships were up-and-running and deployed in any significant amount, not only would they be unsuited for taking part in operations against Yemen, they'd be even worse off if facing against an enemy better equipped than the Yemenis

was looking at wikipedia and wondered what's the big deal between 32 vs 40 cell for the constellation and oliver hazard perry respectively until i realized that the ohp comes in at a slim 4,200 tons and the constellation comes in at 7,291 tons

us mic gigantism strikes again lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't really matter. Nobody can afford to actually use any of weapons on modern frigates except the 5 inch gun, which is the most cost efficient. Fill all those missile cells with actual loads? We're not made of money! You can load um .. hmm... 4. For a just in case.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gee i hope the us doesn't get involved in something that would easily expand a year's worth of production in moments

Danann has issued a correction as of 04:00 on Jan 13, 2024

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
did you mean they just blew a year of ordnance on yemen 2 days ago

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

90 missiles per year and they've missed at least two years' production

oh yeah, the US is totally ready to fight another three wars

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Palladium posted:

did you mean they just blew a year of ordnance on yemen 2 days ago

Complications posted:

90 missiles per year and they've missed at least two years' production

oh yeah, the US is totally ready to fight another three wars

it's actually worse than i thought

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1637146077311672324

90 missiles a year can be considered an aspirational target as one might call it

edit: 2021 had a peak of 122 missiles so there's that but the us is still going to manage to blow entire years worth of production in moments

Danann has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Danann posted:

it's actually worse than i thought

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1637146077311672324

90 missiles a year can be considered an aspirational target as one might call it

edit: 2021 had a peak of 122 missiles so there's that but the us is still going to manage to blow entire years worth of production in moments

:lol: