Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

BitBasher posted:

Played a game for a daily last night I actually feel guilty about. Daily was kill by my own hand on pinhead.

Ran the add ons that didn't let anyone see the box past 24 meters and dodging a chain spawns another chain, with iri mori. The survivors burned an offering for Dead Dog. 2 players just gave up outright 2 minutes in.

Don't feel bad. You're Pinhead. Your mori sends people to another dimension. You're setting them free from the cycle of being tortured by the Entity forever in a hell dimension!*

*disclaimer: being set free from the entity's torture hell dimension may involve being tortured in another, separate torture hell dimension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If I see an outfit is locked it basically guarantees I’ll never buy it. The whole point of playing survivor is to find the most garish combinations of clothing imaginable as you pallet slam and blind killers.

This is my "bhvr wont stop removing mikaela's glasses" protest outfit. Mikaela is the only character I have every cosmetic on, but I've managed to make some ugly nonsense with the others.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Why hide when you can use aposematism to avoid chases?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ace has so many horrible cosmetics, it’s great.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

rydiafan posted:

Why hide when you can use aposematism to avoid chases?

Lmfao

I've made jokes before about my wearing bright Feng Min cosmetics because they're cute being the same as milk snakes as to coral snakes

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Relyssa posted:

someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning

I hate to stereotype - I feel most killer stereotypes are both harmful and patently untrue - but I swear to God every Wraith plays like he has something jammed up his urethra and has decided to make that everyone else's problem. 100% my least favorite killer to go against. Unless it's an absolute baby or someone memeing around, as soon as I hear that bell I know I'm about to have the most miserable match of my entire week. Sucks because it's a really cool design with great lore and cosmetics.

BING BONG

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
He has become so strong slowly through indirect buffing that he is actually high A tier at the moment, but he is also an absolute pub stomping piece of poo poo. And yes they all play like they are currently being divorced in real time.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Kwolok posted:

And yes they all play like they are currently being divorced in real time.

Help me out, I'm not being sarcastic by asking what you mean by this.

I only play killer and never survivor because of my hearing or lack thereof so I have some lack of perspective of the other side of things.

What makes a killer play lovely besides the obvious tunneling?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'm happy whenever I get a 4k. Sorry, next game eh?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

BitBasher posted:

"That Wraith" players tunnel like heat seeking missiles as their calling card, so. :v:

Gratuitous slugging is pretty high up there too. Or "take to hatch, close in face." All you can do as the survivor is chuckle and shrug. Yeah, you got me, I hope you feel better about whatever you can't control in your life. :shrug:

Emphasis on gratuitous, I know slugging is a strong tool and some survivor builds make it the only way to win. It's also like how a lot of Pig players have a bad reputation because their most powerful play, shadowing somebody with a hat and downing them mid box, feels absurdly bad to be on the other side of. Likewise Thana Legion/Plague. I can't blame them though.

Basically if the killer stops to let you know they're being lovely then they're lovely. Slugs you and walks around shaking their head. Stuff like that. I'd never take offense that a killer went hard to win but rather that they're sitting there like a sociopathic chimp trying to figure out how to manipulate tools(or in this case limited communication tools) just to let me know they owned me. Just drop me on the hook dude, I know it ain't personal.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 11, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Help me out, I'm not being sarcastic by asking what you mean by this.

I only play killer and never survivor because of my hearing or lack thereof so I have some lack of perspective of the other side of things.

This one leaned very heavily on the iri add-on to tell when we were trying to break the 3gen, lots of head shaking while bodyblocking and slugging, and since I was the last one out he stood there and hit me over and over again on hook while furiously shaking his head at me.

It got to the point where I would hop on the gen and see the chase indicator stop, followed shortly by the shimmer. He'd hit me, I'd heal up, rinse and repeat. This went on for several cycles before he finally just finished us off.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 11, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Doomykins posted:

"That Wraith" players tunnel like heat seeking missiles as their calling card, so. :v:

Gratuitous slugging is pretty high up there too. Or "take to hatch, close in face."

If you've never shut the hatch when you're invisible in someone's face before I assure you it's one of the most hilarious things you can do in the game.

I carried him to the gate afterwards because I'm not a monster

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Doomykins posted:

Gratuitous slugging is pretty high up there too. Or "take to hatch, close in face." All you can do as the survivor is chuckle and shrug. Yeah, you got me, I hope you feel better about whatever you can't control in your life. :shrug:

Emphasis on gratuitous, I know slugging is a strong tool and some survivor builds make it the only way to win. It's also like how a lot of Pig players have a bad reputation because their most powerful play, shadowing somebody with a hat and downing them mid box, feels absurdly bad to be on the other side of. Likewise Thana Legion/Plague. I can't blame them though.

Basically if the killer stops to let you know they're being lovely then they're lovely. Slugs you and walks around shaking their head. Stuff like that. I'd never take offense that a killer went hard to win but rather that they're sitting there like a sociopathic chimp trying to figure out how to manipulate tools(or in this case limited communication tools) just to let me know they owned me. Just drop me on the hook dude, I know it ain't personal.

Ahhh see I never ever tunnel. I'll go out of my way to chase the unhooker, and that's if I even make it back to hook in time. I don't linger at all.

I want to try Twins but apparently slugging is how they actually work?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Ahhh see I never ever tunnel. I'll go out of my way to chase the unhooker, and that's if I even make it back to hook in time. I don't linger at all.

I want to try Twins but apparently slugging is how they actually work?

Victor can't pick up or hook so if you down someone with him you have to leave them there while you sloooooowly swap to Charlotte and trundle over to grab them. It's easier to just run around as the wee man to slug everyone.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

All of that is totally fair except the hatch part which I think is funny.

In memory drat near every time I didn't beat the survivor to the hatch they have never just gone through it, they always without fail stand on the hatch and wait for me to show up so they can squat a bunch of times before exiting.

I can probably count on one or two hands the number of times a survivor has hatched without doing that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

That's when you just go break pallets and doors and using your power for points.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

In addition to what's already been said, Wraith's speed and invisibility means he can super easily go patrol a gen then speed back to the hook, so every unhook has BING BONG 3 seconds after. Or if you're lucky enough he's not there and try to run away behind some trees to heal first, he's so fast/half of them have that godforsaken aura reading addon or something like Nurse's that he'll find you anyway.

Combine that with the fact that 90% of them take Sloppy Butcher, unless you have some poo poo in your pocket like Botany or medkits, the match typically turns into this miserably sinking quicksand at 4-5 gens left - everyone is effectively exposed, no one can pull off a heal, nobody can accomplish anything because chases barely last when he appears behind every unhook to one-hit down the unhooker or this invisible shithead with a speed boost catches you injured on the gen with no pallet nearby with barely any way to tell he's there until it's too late...

None of that is bad manners - it's all mechanics that are in the game, valid poo poo, it's the devs' fault this is all viable play. But it's honestly downright miserable and it makes the aforementioned actual lovely behavior feel a lot worse. It's just deeply exhausting and stressful. Love to be slugged for the 4k at 5 gens while laying there begging for him to end it like I have been from the moment I did my first unhook only for him to uncloak up my rear end with Sloppy Butcher on

Wraith and hypertunneling Weskers are the only ones I really consider DCing against. I never do but god do I ever want to.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

It'll be interesting to see what the nerf to mangled/hemorrhage they have planned is. Sloppy is a great perk but I always feel a bit guilty using it. Unless I'm on Oni and then everything is fair game because I need all the help I can get

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

It's unfortunate because I do feel like Sloppy is cool and can be a really good boon to certain killers and builds but under certain circumstances it's just miserably punishing and I feel like the nerf is probably going to put it back to worthlessness like so many BHVR overnerfs. I'd love to be wrong.

So much of this could be avoided if you just had perks act differently for certain types of killers - make mobility killers get a less efficient version of Sloppy so you're not balancing its entire existence around Blights and Wraiths when killers like Clown and Myers exist

As it is now I'd love to see the numbers tweaked just slightly, maybe make the regressing heal a lot slower.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Kwolok posted:

I'm excited to find out that somehow the blight changes buff him.

Just wanted to say, I called it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Eh the people that are good with Blight are always going to be good BECAUSE they didn't rely on add ons, and he's still got a high skill ceiling.

Alch ring, Iri tag and Adrenaline Vial changes are good for high skill players because they give new tools to do what they were always doing, but with crutch perks gone lower skill players definitely are weaker. Myself included in that one.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

As I understand it the only way to really get good with Blight is to memorize which of each tickytack bush and pile of snow on a map will or won't cause you to comically butterslide into the distance and fuuuuuck no I don't have that sort of patience

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Man I hate facing Trickster. I don't understand the claims that he's weak or bad now. Main event taking only 8 hits is insane. It means that if he ever injures you he instantly noodle-arms and you die. It's frustrating and there's no counterplay except "hope you spawned in a map with high walls".

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I like playing against new trickster but man do my pubbies have no idea how to play against him

Yeah main event is kinda strong in deadzones but heading LoS is still really strong as is just running around a rock or something because he moves pretty slow during it.

I think he's in a good spot atm

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

He varies heavily on maps, because if he catches you on the street in Haddenfield you are hosed because all the loops are waist high and he can use your crouching as a way to close the distance and just club you

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah for sure, like, it really depends on what map you're on but a high enough boulder can really stymie him in the same way it can with Huntress or Deathslinger despite his 115%. I think he also still struggles with map pressure for some reason despite the speed boost, it's weird.

Remember he slows down with the knives out and you can see the animation change when he puts them up or down. Even if it's something like a car where he can hit you over it, you can duck while moving and force him to try and put down his knives in order to get closer for LOS, at which point you switch to running and get to another side of the car, thus blocking LOS again. Yeah he'll eventually get close enough to hit you but if you're good at it and perceptive of his animations you can waste a lot of his time

Honestly a lot of ranged killers is giving them the *taste* that they could hit you, making it look soooo close to possible to get juicy hits on you, so they waste a ton of time at that particular loop trying to get it

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Trickster feels slow for the same reason a lot of mediocre Gunslingers feel slow- because a lot of people go to their slow, reload required attack options with him at times they should really just M1. Using his range to injure or down is a major time investment. If you're in a situation where you can either break out the knives or spend five more seconds chasing them take the M1, you should usually take the M1 as Trickster in particular, because unlike Slinger you need to keep landing those attacks for them to stick. Landing five knives then losing the chase doesn't earn you anything but Lipton's at the gate.

I think that's what most people forget- Trickster using his power has some of the slowest times to down a survivor in the game and unless you're in a situation where it's realistically the only option you really might want to just try and club them instead, especially now that Trickster is a 115 killer.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

True. I think some killers it's easy to get stuck in the mindset that just because you *can* use your power, you *should* use your power, when sometimes it can be better to just M1 (or use your M2 to psych them out and then M1, like Pyramid Head).

It's also worth noting that Trickster is the best character to farm on because you can use your knives to hit people as a bit without actually injuring them. So many survivors can't handle a friendly hit, they get spooked and think you're suddenly turning evil despite all evidence to the contrary. But with Trickster it's fine. You blew a check so I'm going to give you a stern little "plink" in the back

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So many times I'll be standing by the gate trying to let the last survivor open it, they'll get near, run away and repeat until the timer kills them. I'm like...okay then

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Folks seemed to enjoy it when I shared Japanese fanart before, so I'll do it again. Today I'm sharing art from the artist data_key00! If you like their art, they sell merch, though you'd have to pay import fees and whatnot :toot:

https://twitter.com/data_key00/status/1606577490566459395

Caption translation: "The meaning of crouching (literally: bending and stretching) in DBD."
Translation of image:
"Hello!"
"Nice to meet you!"
"It's cold today, huh"
"Serves you right lol"
"You're loving poo poo lmaooo"
"Merry Christmas <3"

(I think this was posted shortly after the Dead Hard nerf. The frame Dead Hard is in is a frame traditionally used at Japanese funerals to house photos of the deceased.)

https://twitter.com/data_key00/status/1639575671218532353/
Caption: "Dead Hard... shouldn't it be dead now...?"
Translation of image:
"David: What're you doing? It's already dead!!"

https://twitter.com/data_key00/status/1560298106427932672/
(Translation: "Captain Dwight")

Then OP's awesome series of "Where's Waldo"-esque find-its:

https://twitter.com/data_key00/status/1508881701576970249
https://twitter.com/data_key00/status/1355233723201982466
https://twitter.com/data_key00/status/1313234917216538624

I really recommend taking the time to click on them and open them at full size and take a little time going through each one individually, there's clearly a ton of love and effort put into each one and they're all super cute.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 13, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

These are amazing, thank you.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

New Otz Tier List dropped today, vindication for those warning us of the rise of Wraith: Middle of B Tier after an eternity in C Tier!

Blight unchanged because of his base strength, Nemesis almost at C tier as the entire game gets power crept past him and Freddy officially the weakest killer. Looks like Pyramid Head leapt into the big leagues too, though likely from changes to the game since I don't recall him getting any buffs in the last year.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 14, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

My beloved Pig will never be higher than C tier and I am perfectly okay with that.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

In my tierlist all the killers are A's :shobon:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Oni being A is wild, I feel having essentially no power until your first hit seems like a major handicap to player around, but I guess Ultimate Weapon speeds up that process considerably.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

good lord this game is infuriating sometimes

three background players, two flashlights w/ the best add-ons, two flashbangs, two buckle up/ftp combos, every time I even thought about picking someone up a survivor would just warp in and get the blind. they talked poo poo in the postgame chat, too. fuckers.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And this is is why Sir Isaac Newton Lightborn is the deadliest son of a bitch in space

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Oni being A is wild, I feel having essentially no power until your first hit seems like a major handicap to player around, but I guess Ultimate Weapon speeds up that process considerably.

Getting maybe the best power for raw strength in the game certainly makes up for it and "do the entire round without taking even two M1s" is a tall order for survivors. :v:

As a bad Oni player myself if you miss with the power then he's outclassed by the likes of Clown, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

And this is is why Sir Isaac Newton Lightborn is the deadliest son of a bitch in space

Yeah I usually run it but I ran out of time to decide where to put it in my loadout while the lobby was counting down because I am easily distracted.