Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Beastie posted:

IT just made it so that I need to enter the digits off an RSA token to log into the work computer.

The computer that stays here at the plant.

Oh and I still need to add my password. Just why!?

One of the most important job of the RSA token is to ensure there's an actual meat-based entity in front of the computer. This is far from unreasonable.

There are some fancier auth token hardware that are meant to just stay in a usb port and be booped manually when needed, because the main point is to prevent remote access from working altogether.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

MS bing chat has become too much like a search engine, where it ignores half of what you said and gives you an answer to what it thinks you said instead, it's garbage for complex conversations now.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Trashbag talk: You mean you all don't just use the plastic bags you bring home your food in?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Trashbag talk: You mean you all don't just use the plastic bags you bring home your food in?

plastic grocery bags are banned in the civilized world op

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Windows hello for business is the solution for the above which allows auth with neither PW and doesn't cause MFA fatigue, uses the computers TPM chip.

Sorry goon that your IT has to justify their jobs but don't have the expertise for best practices

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Someone sum up what's going on with new balance because those are my chosen sneaker.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Aramis posted:

One of the most important job of the RSA token is to ensure there's an actual meat-based entity in front of the computer. This is far from unreasonable.

There are some fancier auth token hardware that are meant to just stay in a usb port and be booped manually when needed, because the main point is to prevent remote access from working altogether.

Okay, that makes sense. We make drinking water so someone getting into the SCADA terminal remotely and loving poo poo up would be bad. We'd probably catch it immediately but they could do just about anything short of turning off the water for the whole city.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Hollismason posted:

Someone sum up what's going on with new balance because those are my chosen sneaker.

no dude it's politics poo poo and i already told the thread not to go in to it again. basically always assume every company is either overtly or secretly evil

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Honestly everything about the industry sucks and I'm watching it all get worse. Certs are right back to being the joke they were in the late oughts, but this time we have to recertify annually *and* learn to the test since half the information is out of date by the time a test is published due to the patching cadence MS has adopted. That plus all the paper tigers in the industry means you never really get to fill your titled role, so you can't meaningfully plan a career. This makes applying and interviewing for positions a shitshow, since you don't often have the skills or competencies that your title path implies due to never being allowed to actually work your titles.

On top of that Windows 11 is a piece of poo poo, so we're back to a divided environment where any given group might be running 10 and Server 19 or 11 and Server 22 or some bastard hybrid of the four. Feels like I'm back in 2012 keeping 7 and 2008R2 alive in an 8/2012 world. That was a poo poo show and fragmented the industry for half a decade, this is the exact same and is predictably fragmenting the industry again and Microsoft simply does not care. We're not getting our stability and reliability back, we're gonna deal with quarterly feature updates we can barely control 'til they find a somehow worse patch model to migrate to. I had more and better version control managing student iPads in an education environment than I do now with a loving fleet of desktops, it's pathetic.

Every role I've had in the last 8 years has been a lie. Most recently I was Technical/QA Lead but my actual job duties were mostly training a high-turnover help desk. I'm sick of all my jobs being traps. I'm sick of recruiters who lie on my behalf so I can frustrate interviewers. I'm sick of not being able to do a single drat part of my titled role for ever a few hours a week. I'm sick of doing 8-10 hours of work outside work every week just so the titles on my resume reflect things I can actually do. I believed in 2012 and got through the bullshit then, but now we're all back in it but worse. Now the only thing I believe is that the industry is a scam built on lies.

I'm leaving for industrial automation where the certifications are for hardware rather than software and diagnostics are done with a multimeter. The pay is better, the unions exist, and the tech has been essentially unchanged since the 60s. I wish anyone who's staying on this sinking ship the very best, but my time has come.

:hmmyes: this tracks. I'm going through this now. Only experience, and 4 years or more, counts, so certifying and education just feels totally pointless because it isn't worth anything and you can't get experience because you need to have the experience first before we dare to let you reset passwords. 5 years in Thingmaster 5000 only will be accepted, Thingmaster 4000 simply will not do, ThingKing Pro experience will not do even though it's doing the same process with a different UI.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Beastie posted:

Okay, that makes sense. We make drinking water so someone getting into the SCADA terminal remotely and loving poo poo up would be bad. We'd probably catch it immediately but they could do just about anything short of turning off the water for the whole city.

I used to recommend doing this after assessments but nobody ever implemented it because it pissed off engineers. Kudos to wherever you work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The agencies I work with refuse to make their SCADA stuff talk to the outside world. They do some kind of entire separate internal network for it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Computer viking posted:

American grocery bags are like tissue, and very small.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

withak posted:

The agencies I work with refuse to make their SCADA stuff talk to the outside world. They do some kind of entire separate internal network for it.

I.e. the correct way to do things

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Biplane posted:

American grocery bags are like tissue, and very small.

Or they're the reusable ones that are too nice to just throw out willy-nilly

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

Yeah it’s lovely the author isn’t getting a fair return on Book 1 or Book 2 just to trick Amazon’s algorithm into making their work visible.

Why the gently caress would I give authors money when I can just use chatgpt?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

withak posted:

yes that is how you run a SCADA

why do you want to connect SCADAs to the internet, the last SCADAs I worked with were for bottling machines filling vials with chemo drugs and lyophilizers freeze drying said chemo drugs

what possible good would come from connecting that poo poo to the internet

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
This is all anecdotal, but I'm wondering if it's systemic. For the past ten years I've exchanged postcards every New Year's with some of my fellow classmates when I was an exchange student. I get around 10 or 12 postcards, primarily from Asia but also a couple from elsewhere, and I've never had an issue with giving or receiving cards on time, usually in less than a week. Until this year, which has been a total clusterfuck. Postcards I sent out a month ago have yet to arrive. Two people live together and one of them mailed both their postcards at the same time, and yet I received them weeks apart. I also got some cards from former students in a single class which have been gradually arriving over the course of a month, despite them, again, all being mailed at the same time. As far as I can tell, this is only an issue on the to/from America front, as nobody else has had trouble getting theirs delivered to each other. (Not even the guy in Yemen, which is going through some stuff at the moment.)

My mom also recently had some issues with her medication deciding to take a victory lap around the US, then taking a trip to Jamaica at some point, before finally arriving two months late from its starting point of about two hours away.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MrQwerty posted:

why do you want to connect SCADAs to the internet, the last SCADAs I worked with were for bottling machines filling vials with chemo drugs and lyophilizers freeze drying said chemo drugs

Visit shodan.io and marvel at the many thousands of industrial automation devices connected to the worldwide Web

Pls don't try to connect to them

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can thank Trump and this motherfucker for intentionally gutting the USPS in the hopes of making the US privatize mail delivery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_DeJoy

Making mail deliveries slower was an intentional and deliberate part of his 10-year plan for the USPS, as was decommissioning mail sorting machines and reducing post office operating hours

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 12, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TotalLossBrain posted:

Visit shodan.io and marvel at the many thousands of industrial automation devices connected to the worldwide Web

oh I know idiots do it

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Computer viking posted:

Like 70% of them have a hole in the bottom the size of a penny.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Time_pants posted:

Like 70% of them have a hole in the bottom the size of a penny.

I had to stop using them as cat poop bags because these holes just get bigger and more frequent what the hell

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

deep dish peat moss posted:

I had to stop using them as cat poop bags because these holes just get bigger and more frequent what the hell

I have long suspected it's to discourage people from using them as trash bags.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

lol this reminds me of a thread on here many years ago (I wanna say mid-2000s) where there was some brand of security camera that was connected to the internet and had literally no authentication to access it by default. If I remember right, people found shitloads of these cameras via port scanning. You could just pop the IP into your browser and gain full control of the camera, including swivel, tilt and zoom. It was a matter of just trying different ones until you found an unsecured one. A whole bunch of office workers got terrorised by the security cameras going berzerk.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Quote-Unquote posted:

lol this reminds me of a thread on here many years ago (I wanna say mid-2000s) where there was some brand of security camera that was connected to the internet and had literally no authentication to access it by default. If I remember right, people found shitloads of these cameras via port scanning. You could just pop the IP into your browser and gain full control of the camera, including swivel, tilt and zoom. It was a matter of just trying different ones until you found an unsecured one. A whole bunch of office workers got terrorised by the security cameras going berzerk.

there was a thread like that last year and it very quickly turned into a total loving SAD shitshow

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

So I can manipulate them from home for figgies while I play Railroad Tycoon 3.

You can thank Trump and this motherfucker for intentionally gutting the USPS in the hopes of making the US privatize mail delivery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_DeJoy

Making mail deliveries slower was an intentional and deliberate part of his 10-year plan for the USPS, as was decommissioning mail sorting machines and reducing post office operating hours

If we elect Biden he'll get rid of the guy who sabotaged mail for the expressed purpose of interfering with mail in ballots.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

skooma512 posted:

:qq: i have to go to work to gently caress with critical equipment that can potentially kill hundreds of thousands of people if it gets put on the internet :qq:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

MrQwerty posted:

I've seen a lot of SCADA networks that weren't directly exposed to the internet, but they were somehow connected to corporate networks, which are much easier to hack.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bossy lady posted:

I've seen a lot of SCADA networks that weren't directly exposed to the internet, but they were somehow connected to corporate networks, which are much easier to hack.

mindblowingly dumb poo poo

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

skooma512 posted:

If we elect Biden he'll get rid of the guy who sabotaged mail for the expressed purpose of interfering with mail in ballots.

Yeah, it’s wild that this guy is still around.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

bossy lady posted:

That engineer has to have engineering access to all his devices from his desk I guess.
That's exactly how the first Ukraine grid hack went down in 2014 (?) - Russians just rdp'ing into the SCADA engineering workstation in a live view and clicking breakers jfc
That poo poo is all too common and a very juicy attack vector.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My only problem with Teams is that I have no use for it, I've never used it, I will never use it, and Windows reinstalls it throughout the day, pops up with updates and notifications, does all kinds of annoying poo poo when all I want is for it to not exist.

I don't know if the app itself is good or not because I have no use for it.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

I.e. the correct way to do things

Part of the correct way to do it. It's one of those belts and suspenders situation.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

withak posted:

That's what iran thought too, then along came stuxnut

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

plastic grocery bags are banned in the civilized world op

i tried to bring my own bag grocery shopping and they kicked me out on the assumption i was using it to shoplift because i'm not white

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

i tried to bring my own bag grocery shopping and they kicked me out on the assumption i was using it to shoplift because i'm not white

Bags cost extra here as well as being smaller than they use to be.

I liked the sign at Shop Rite telling people to not put things in bags until they're paying. Followed later by an announcement stating pretty much the same thing. Yeah yeah sure thing that's totally because it slows down bagging at this time of year whatever you say.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

TotalLossBrain posted:

That engineer has to have engineering access to all his devices from his desk I guess.
That's exactly how the first Ukraine grid hack went down in 2014 (?) - Russians just rdp'ing into the SCADA engineering workstation in a live view and clicking breakers jfc
That poo poo is all too common and a very juicy attack vector.

A lot of it was also historian servers and such living in the corporate network that needed process control data. They were often set up decades ago with full network access and nobody touched it since.

RDP / VNC hall of mirrors is also how I used to jump across DMZ networks. My record is 8

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

bossy lady posted:

A lot of it was also historian servers and such living in the corporate network that needed process control data. They were often set up decades ago with full network access and nobody touched it since.

RDP / VNC hall of mirrors is also how I used to jump across DMZ networks. My record is 8

I'm imagining a string of connection like in Uplink

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

skooma512 posted:

To not got off the rails, please google why this isn't at all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

This has been going on since way before trump. There was a 2000s law that forced the USPS to fully fund their pension system for all active employees to try and cripple them financially. Plus a bunch of other dirty tricks I can't remember off the top of my head. USPS is an example of a properly functioning government service and the right utterly despises it and has been trying to kill it for decades.