Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jenny Agutter posted:

does anyone else use default iPhone lightning-connector earbuds and find them incredibly loud? I have my phone set at lowest volume and teams or zoom meetings nearly blow my eardrums out, tried lowering the max volume but it doesn’t affect it much because it’s already as low as I can put it

i just keep them tangled in a drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

I didn't know they made cabled earbuds. Hope they sound better nowadays.
they were included with iPhones for years.

hell, you can still buy them. now with usb c!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have a pair of the lightning ones. I should pick up the usbc ones as a spare

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jenny Agutter posted:

does anyone else use default iPhone lightning-connector earbuds and find them incredibly loud? I have my phone set at lowest volume and teams or zoom meetings nearly blow my eardrums out, tried lowering the max volume but it doesn’t affect it much because it’s already as low as I can put it

sounds like something is broken, i use them for my phone and volume control works fine

havent tried them in my macbook tho, use my old jack ones for that

e: is it also when playing music/video?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Cold on a Cob posted:

:tipshat:

a thing i've learned since i posted that is it seems to be smart enough to remember merchant mappings so when i populate the merchant from the txn it seems to use my ynab name and categorize it properly for me

yes ynab supports a robust set of renaming rules for transactions, you can do it under manage payees - i do it occasionally to crunch down CVS #2134, CVS #2104, CVS #0125 etc into just CVS. it's easy and "it just works" which is why i'm still shelling out for jesse meacham's crossfit sex cult finance management tool

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lot of regulars who really would love a chromebook itt

If you're talking about beater laptops, Chromebooks may be cheap and technically run a Linux kernel but their users and the people who run beater laptops with free software are polar opposites, no graybeard wants a chromebook

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Woolie Wool posted:

If you're talking about beater laptops, Chromebooks may be cheap and technically run a Linux kernel but their users and the people who run beater laptops with free software are polar opposites, no graybeard wants a chromebook

i would use a Chromebook as a thin client if it was the easiest way to get a cheap ARM Linux laptop that lasted 10 hours

otoh the ultra luxurious pixelbook was very funny

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Mad Wack posted:

yes ynab supports a robust set of renaming rules for transactions, you can do it under manage payees - i do it occasionally to crunch down CVS #2134, CVS #2104, CVS #0125 etc into just CVS. it's easy and "it just works" which is why i'm still shelling out for jesse meacham's crossfit sex cult finance management tool

yep I know, been using ynab since v3. I just meant the automation seems use your existing configured payee mappings. I wasn’t sure the Apple Pay transaction “merchant” would be the same as the payee your bank provides but I guess what else would it be right?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I started using my chomebook as a decoy when I was wfh a lot and my cat kept trying to lay on my laptop. I don’t need to use it in that role anymore but he apparently enjoyed the user experience and kinda bonded with it. now I just keep it in the corner of a room and he retreats to lay on it when he feels insecure. cats fuckin love Linux

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

corona familiar posted:

i would use a Chromebook as a thin client if it was the easiest way to get a cheap ARM Linux laptop that lasted 10 hours

heck, I did this just for the gently caress of it with a samsung chromebook 3 with galliumos. it was several years ago and ran okay with a paltry 2gb ram. it was a thin client-esque experience so that didn't matter much. not bad for a refurb at half off when it was still a common spec

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I started using my chomebook as a decoy when I was wfh a lot and my cat kept trying to lay on my laptop. I don’t need to use it in that role anymore but he apparently enjoyed the user experience and kinda bonded with it. now I just keep it in the corner of a room and he retreats to lay on it when he feels insecure. cats fuckin love Linux

must have good keyfeel

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

disagree. a greybeard would be happy to spend 20 hours a week trying to get keyboard backlight controls working under gentoo on a chromebook

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
greybeards would want a thinkpad t61p

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

that's the good poo poo right there

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

:haibrow:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

corona familiar posted:

still kinda wish I had bought one of the ones with a 3:4 screen while it was around :sigh:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
there are three types of thinkpad greybeards

- t60 with the 1600x1200 display (not very bright, but great viewing angles)
- t61p with the 1680x1050 display but a better gpu
- x61 with the 1400x1050 display and the 9 cell battery sticking out the back

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

sounds like something is broken, i use them for my phone and volume control works fine

havent tried them in my macbook tho, use my old jack ones for that

e: is it also when playing music/video?

I dunno, this is my work phone and my last work phone had the exact same issue and I can’t remember if I’m using the same earbuds or not. jisr found two more pairs of lightning earbuds though so I’ll try them out

this is probably my punishment for previously complaining about the lightning to 3.5mm adapter cutting out if it was driven at max volume

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

gah it’s still too loud!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jenny Agutter posted:

gah it’s still too loud!

and this is in all apps right? cause if so its def something wrong with either the phone or the plugs or your ears

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

zoom and teams, don’t really use my work phone for anything else

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

just going to start using some Bluetooth headphones I guess. been avoiding it because pairing headphones with multiple phones is a pain in the dick

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

In the year 2024

Koss VC20 In-Line Headphone Volume Control
The Koss VC20 helps you control the volume of your music with this convenient volume control accessory.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

there are three types of thinkpad greybeards

- t60 with the 1600x1200 display (not very bright, but great viewing angles)
- t61p with the 1680x1050 display but a better gpu
- x61 with the 1400x1050 display and the 9 cell battery sticking out the back

Mine is a T520 with the 9 cell battery, the last model Lenovo made with the original IBM keyboard (except the anniversary model that I'm too poor to own)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

post hole digger posted:

I'm on the phone wit the CEO of Apple he's telling me phd, #yourposts are so good your computer is about to shut down. i gave them the ok to add the most powerful ram to handle these posts congrats looks like more empty quotes for U phd #sufferingfromsuccess

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just used the imgur upload shortcut that was posted here and it worked great, a+ would steal again

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i still own an intel touch bar macbook pro. it works pretty good but i'm still shocked no one in the planning stages went "this seems like a good idea on paper but no one will utilize this and we'd eventually have to bring back function keys"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I've found that the always-on screen on the 15PM can lead to some pocket-presses when I'm listening to music and the player widget is on display even when 'locked' - having to go digging into the settings menus to turn it off and back on is a pain, so I set up a simple shortcut to toggle Always On Screen on / off (figuring you can change a shortcut from a switch to a toggle took me a while), and then I set that shortcut to be activated by the triple-back-tap in the Accessibility menu. Listening to musing in town on my earbuds? 3 taps, screen is off in my pocket. Phone standing on my desk? 3 taps, always on screen is back again.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the funniest was when they brought back the physical Esc key on one year’s laptops but kept the rest of the Touch Bar lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

euroshopper posted:

i still own an intel touch bar macbook pro. it works pretty good but i'm still shocked no one in the planning stages went "this seems like a good idea on paper but no one will utilize this and we'd eventually have to bring back function keys"

the jony effect

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
their mistake was thinking anyone uses those keys

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
or maybe they thought no one uses these , maybe we can reclaim some space and make it useful

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

my only shortcut is my wife likes to know when my dog poops when i'm walking him so i say "the eagle has landed" into my phone/watch and it texts her that he took a dump
lmao

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

i was genuinely happy the day i found out he left the company and then again when i found out apple was no longer working with his design company

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Branch Nvidian posted:

i was genuinely happy the day i found out he left the company and then again when i found out apple was no longer working with his design company

the translucent plastic era was pretty cool imo

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

euroshopper posted:

the translucent plastic era was pretty cool imo

agreed, but the last what, decade(?), he was there it was just him trying to make everything as thin and portless as possible and then really dumb design choices like the magic mouse charge port on the bottom, the tumor battery-case, charging the apple pencil by plugging it into the lightning port of an ipad so it was just sticking out asking to get snapped off, when they put him in charge of software design and he drained all the color out of finder

idk, he seemed like he got further and further up his own rear end and things changed from having a friendly and fun approachable look to them to being more and more just slabs of anodized aluminum

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

aluminium

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I've found that the always-on screen on the 15PM can lead to some pocket-presses when I'm listening to music and the player widget is on display even when 'locked' - having to go digging into the settings menus to turn it off and back on is a pain, so I set up a simple shortcut to toggle Always On Screen on / off (figuring you can change a shortcut from a switch to a toggle took me a while), and then I set that shortcut to be activated by the triple-back-tap in the Accessibility menu. Listening to musing in town on my earbuds? 3 taps, screen is off in my pocket. Phone standing on my desk? 3 taps, always on screen is back again.

idk I turned the always on screen thing off as soon as I got the phone because why would you want that?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

idk I turned the always on screen thing off as soon as I got the phone because why would you want that?

same, too distracting for me.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

same. if I wanted a screen that was always on, I'd look at my monitor :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

if I wanted a screen that was always on, I'd look at my monitor :smug:

the problem with posting in yospos, is that I can still see my reflection when the monitor is on