Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Chair Fascist made over 50 posts about floor sitting in the last 3 days, and only in the past 3 days. He spent a few months before that mildly obsessed with organ meat, and then before that he was into programming and cryptocurrency.

Why do so many tech bros end up like this?

At a guess, because they need to be better-than, and if you aren't the smartest person in the room (which is a startling thing when you come from a division 3 cornfield school, then get a grown-up job with non-idiots) then you at least have to be the most _whatever_ and decide that _whatever_ is the actual metric to hang your self worth on.

Can't be the buffest, can't be the healthiest, but you can minimalist and sit better than these fuckin plebs, and that makes you better. Being special by quirky is the last fallback of people who need to tell other people they are special and are falling short on other metrics.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

kimbo305 posted:

Insane beauty standards on that super stacked housewife.
In the late 40s, women's feet naturally formed high heels. Never forget what they took from us.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kuros posted:

The shiny spine on this one.

AITAH for staying in a marriage for 10 years to make sure I got alimony?

Gonna point out that she was 18 or 19 when they were married, no indication of how long they were dating prior to marriage, and 23-24 when she discovered the affair. Wonder why a 24 year old was seeking out an 18 year old...

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Chair Fascist made over 50 posts about floor sitting in the last 3 days, and only in the past 3 days. He spent a few months before that mildly obsessed with organ meat, and then before that he was into programming and cryptocurrency.

Why do so many tech bros end up like this?

Lol I just did a complete 180 on this guy. gently caress em.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I unfortunately recognize hider lady's 'are you kidding me!!' protest, it's the same curse I do when I take a risk at the grocery store leaving my cart in a central spot. It's just easier for me to buzz around the grocery store and return to the cart with my items, than it is to roll it my whole cart around, but this means a decent percentage of the time a retail employee might find my cart, assume it's abandoned, and start putting it away. So I'm not surprised when I get back to my cart and it's gone or being put away, that's on me doing it a weird way/a way that is totally against conventional wisdom, but I do make that same kind of 'goddammit! are you kidding me ugh' noise to myself for losing my gamble. I just don't make it anyone else's problem.

(but seriously, you should be allowed to just leave your cart in one place and come back to it and it's relatively untouched for at least like, 5-10 mins. It shouldn't be a constant game of risk I'm playing where I'm like, can I make it to that item and back to my cart fast enough they won't take my cart away?)

do you really do this?

that's really weird. nobody does that.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

(but seriously, you should be allowed to just leave your cart in one place and come back to it and it's relatively untouched for at least like, 5-10 mins. It shouldn't be a constant game of risk I'm playing where I'm like, can I make it to that item and back to my cart fast enough they won't take my cart away?)

It’s not that you are not allowed to, it’s that employees of any grocery company are constantly being pushed to make sure perishables don’t spoil and putbacks actually go back to where they are supposed to be on the shelf. Also back stock really, really piles up fast and any opportunity to get ahead of it should be taken

The employees aren’t trying to punish you, but having worked grocery retail in the past, you would be shocked how often people will just leave their carriage and walk right out of the store and never come back

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah fair's fair. If you're not even going to be assed to carry it, it's not yours - every thrifter knows this. Ultimately the hider lady understood this bc she wasn't willing to touch it again, or to try and take it. Once it's out of your hands, it's gone, unless you are insane person who is going to literally throw down and fight over trinkets at the thrift store

I unfortunately recognize hider lady's 'are you kidding me!!' protest, it's the same curse I do when I take a risk at the grocery store leaving my cart in a central spot. It's just easier for me to buzz around the grocery store and return to the cart with my items, than it is to roll it my whole cart around, but this means a decent percentage of the time a retail employee might find my cart, assume it's abandoned, and start putting it away. So I'm not surprised when I get back to my cart and it's gone or being put away, that's on me doing it a weird way/a way that is totally against conventional wisdom, but I do make that same kind of 'goddammit! are you kidding me ugh' noise to myself for losing my gamble. I just don't make it anyone else's problem.

Oh so you're like one of those people who puts a cart somewhere and then walks off and then is double in in the way when they could just stay with their cart and be in the way in ONE spot. Except with the span of a whole store instead of one aisle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Any parent who has a kid who can't cook or clean or do laundry by like 12 years old should be taken away by social services and put into some sort of emergency home-economics course.

i wouldn't go quite that far but i do think that home ec should be a mandatory grade 9 (so age 14) class.

i'd also like to make shop class mandatory, but i'd settle for having a home ec unit on putting up shelves properly or something.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Pro strat is to go with a friend or confidant and do your shopping together. Have them stay at the end of the aisle with the cart and bring them the stuff from the aisles. I am small and can maneuver easily down the aisles, and carts are not built for people my size, so I always go with a larger person and they man the cart while I get the groceries. They like it because they can just chill on their phone, and I like it because I don't have to maneuver a loving giant cart around while peeking over the handle like a child.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Yeah fair's fair. If you're not even going to be assed to carry it, it's not yours - every thrifter knows this. Ultimately the hider lady understood this bc she wasn't willing to touch it again, or to try and take it. Once it's out of your hands, it's gone, unless you are insane person who is going to literally throw down and fight over trinkets at the thrift store

If I saw you doing this I would add random stuff to your cart.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Baronjutter posted:

Any parent who has a kid who can't cook or clean or do laundry by like 12 years old should be taken away by social services and put into some sort of emergency home-economics course.
My kids were certainly learning to cook at age 12, but they knew a couple of dishes, maybe. It's a big set of skills to get down. Also we had a commercial gas stove, and those things are kind of scary with the amount of flame they can produce.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

rotinaj posted:

You okay, friend? That seems to be just the tiniest bit extreme for a quilt auction

Why? At the end of the day, none of that post was about the quilt, it was about people's reactions to each other. OP wanted to get a rise out of his SIL. In and of itself, that's typical family stuff. My sisters in law and I act like actual sisters. Sometimes that comes with petty complaints, but if they told me they were looking forward to something, I wouldn't try to ruin that for them.

Where he went over the deep end was actively loving with something he KNEW she was looking forward to, and, based on his own words, HE KEPT DRIVING UP THE PRICE. That means he overbid her more than once. At the point she left, she probably realized this wasn't going to end. She could keep bidding and he was just going to keep upping the price for...reasons. He can say it's all in good fun, but you do that maybe once. If he did it multiple times, it says he doesn't respect her and he sure as hell doesn't care about how she feels about the quilt or the auction. He made it deeply personal.

He says she's competitive, but so far he's the only one competing against her, and it was more important to force her to lose than to let her "win" in something he admits he didn't even care about. Why should she subject herself to someone who wants to poo poo on things she enjoys and doesn't even respect her enough to let her enjoy something? Isn't it better to step away and not sit there and play nice with someone who doesn't even like you?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

don longjohns posted:

Pro strat is to go with a friend or confidant and do your shopping together. Have them stay at the end of the aisle with the cart and bring them the stuff from the aisles. I am small and can maneuver easily down the aisles, and carts are not built for people my size, so I always go with a larger person and they man the cart while I get the groceries. They like it because they can just chill on their phone, and I like it because I don't have to maneuver a loving giant cart around while peeking over the handle like a child.

Okay well if you're like fuckin 4 ft 6 then sure, you can have some kind of accommodation, but I I'm pretty sure that 99% of the population has no problem maneuvering a shopping cart. Like you know we've had shopping carts for a while now and they design grocery stores with them in mind, right :psyduck:

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Don't do this in New England. Seriously if you do this in a Market Basket up there you'll get to hear how every curse and slur sounds with an awful Boston accent, if you're lucky.

don longjohns posted:

I did this with my Dad when growing up and it was awesome. We'd keep track of time to see how quick we could do it, like a high score. Paid off I spades whenever I did warehouse work too!

The downside to this strat is that shopping with normal people stops working. I needed therapy to because my husband couldn't stand shopping like that and I couldn't contextualize shopping as a leisurely thing. People don't like it when they plan a relaxing day and you rocket and get everything done in 10 minutes.

Bifner McDoogle fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 12, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Slo-Tek posted:

At a guess, because they need to be better-than, and if you aren't the smartest person in the room (which is a startling thing when you come from a division 3 cornfield school, then get a grown-up job with non-idiots) then you at least have to be the most _whatever_ and decide that _whatever_ is the actual metric to hang your self worth on.

Can't be the buffest, can't be the healthiest, but you can minimalist and sit better than these fuckin plebs, and that makes you better. Being special by quirky is the last fallback of people who need to tell other people they are special and are falling short on other metrics.

well there's certainly a lot of Psychology going on with looking at this dude's life and going "you think you're better than me???" lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Where he went over the deep end was actively loving with something he KNEW she was looking forward to, and, based on his own words, HE KEPT DRIVING UP THE PRICE. That means he overbid her more than once. At the point she left, she probably realized this wasn't going to end. She could keep bidding and he was just going to keep upping the price for...reasons. He can say it's all in good fun, but you do that maybe once. If he did it multiple times, it says he doesn't respect her and he sure as hell doesn't care about how she feels about the quilt or the auction. He made it deeply personal.

He also could have pulled this off just fine by bidding the price up until she was priced out, then turning around and giving her the quilt after he won.

1) haha I pranked you good, made you think you weren't going to get the thing that you wanted but now you do have it!!

2) happy anniversary sister, I knew you wanted this so much and look I got it for you as a present!

3) yes, I ended up spending more than we technically could have to get this quilt, but it's all for charity and I get to feel good about myself for that!

It would have been a little bit of a mean prank but in the end everything would work out.

But instead he's just keeping the quilt, which he didn't even want, because he's just pure rear end in a top hat.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 12, 2024

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what on earth

I have seen extremely small elderly women and children maneuver shopping carts fine, I cannot imagine a size that someone can be where they'd have trouble with a cart but not carrying potentially large stuff like milk down an aisle. I guess the Designated Cart Driver could go for the milk??

I am lost in the logistics of "can't steer a cart".

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ten whole minutes? What the gently caress. YTA

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Once again we prove that there is nothing so weird that a goon can't make it even weirder.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

rotinaj posted:

It’s not that you are not allowed to, it’s that employees of any grocery company are constantly being pushed to make sure perishables don’t spoil and putbacks actually go back to where they are supposed to be on the shelf. Also back stock really, really piles up fast and any opportunity to get ahead of it should be taken

The employees aren’t trying to punish you, but having worked grocery retail in the past, you would be shocked how often people will just leave their carriage and walk right out of the store and never come back

oh for sure, I know the reasoning which is why I know I'm the one taking the gamble

As for how angry that seems to make people - I will stop shopping the way I need when dead in the grave, suck it. I'd take my cart with me in the aisles if any of you moved fast, but you move slow as gently caress and shop like you've never seen a grocery aisle, so I weave between you, get what I need, and leave. You are the ones in the way, slowpokes. The other option is I literally ram you with my cart. But either way, you will not slow me down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

As a former grocery store employee, please don't leave your cart sitting around while you go off somewhere else, it makes life a little bit worse for everyone working there :sigh:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
where the hell are you shopping that it's a smaller expenditure of energy to carry single items back and forth to your cart repeatedly rather than just push the cart around

Do the wheels not work?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Why? At the end of the day, none of that post was about the quilt, it was about people's reactions to each other. OP wanted to get a rise out of his SIL. In and of itself, that's typical family stuff. My sisters in law and I act like actual sisters. Sometimes that comes with petty complaints, but if they told me they were looking forward to something, I wouldn't try to ruin that for them.

Where he went over the deep end was actively loving with something he KNEW she was looking forward to, and, based on his own words, HE KEPT DRIVING UP THE PRICE. That means he overbid her more than once.

That is a really big assumption based on bad wording that drastically changes the entire tenor of the story. I read this as one bid, and the SIL got priced out by it.

quote:

Last weekend, we attended a charity auction. There was this gorgeous, handmade quilt being auctioned, and SIL mentioned how much she wanted it. It was beautiful, sure, but I didn't think much of it. As the auction went on, SIL was fiercely bidding on the quilt. It was for a good cause, so I thought I'd help drive the price up, you know, for charity.
Here's where it gets tricky. I playfully bid a bit higher than SIL, expecting her to outbid me again. But to everyone's surprise, she didn't. The auctioneer called it, and I won the quilt.

Yes, “again” makes it sound possible that said OP bid multiple times. I didn’t take it that way. It read to me like OP waited for SIL to bid-fight with someone, then when she thought she was in the clear, OP bid.

I might be giving the OP WAY too much credit on this, but you asked me why I felt your response was extreme.

OP is definitely a dumbass, both in how they approached this and how they are solving it, too. Like, the normal person response to this story imo would be “I outbid you on this quilt, so I can give it to you for an upcoming holiday because you said you really liked it. I didn’t realize you wanted it for your anniversary. Please enjoy this gift.”

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

oh for sure, I know the reasoning which is why I know I'm the one taking the gamble

As for how angry that seems to make people - I will stop shopping the way I need when dead in the grave, suck it. I'd take my cart with me in the aisles if any of you moved fast, but you move slow as gently caress and shop like you've never seen a grocery aisle, so I weave between you, get what I need, and leave. You are the ones in the way, slowpokes. The other option is I literally ram you with my cart. But either way, you will not slow me down.

I plan ahead and ride shopping carts like skateboards past slow sections. I am a million times faster than you will ever be and if your dumb unattended cart is in my way? Don't expect it to be there when you get back because I will push it down an isle out of spite after I put some rando food in there.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I didn't have to do that in NYC bc people move fast, but in the bigger grocery stores of the south not only do people move slower, they block the loving aisles to talk and poo poo :psyduck:

But if you're going to rage at me about how I shop have at, it's not going to change poo poo. My point was that I understand it's a gamble so I don't blame anyone if my cart gets hosed with.

I'm neurodivergent and I'm going to do what I need to accommodate myself. Good for you that shopping like a normal person doesn't drive you bonkers.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Quick question: if you need to move some earth in your yard, do you carry handfuls of dirt back and forth, or would you use a wheelbarrow?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

It's just easier for me to buzz around the grocery store and return to the cart with my items, than it is to roll it my whole cart around,

Ah yes, the fabled difficulty of rolling a whole cart around. A cart. With wheels. Designed to roll around. Much easier to park it in one spot and repeatedly return there with armfuls of foodstuffs. Fuckin lol.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Quick question: if you need to move some earth in your yard, do you carry handfuls of dirt back and forth, or would you use a wheelbarrow?

There is no one between me and the dirt so I would use the wheelbarrow. The barrier to using the cart is that navigating it around human bodies is harder.

If there's someone between me and the thing I need to get, I leave my cart behind and go around the person, I don't just stand with my cart and wait for them to move. It is this strategy, expanded to whole aisles because they're frequently blocked since I shop on weekends and it's already crazy at the store. That's all. I don't do the whole store, I do little trips dodging around people. And I don't blame anyone if my cart moves. Just like I wouldn't expect someone to consider a basket on top of an item at the thrift store 'saved'.

If you can't grasp the main idea of 'even I'm a whackadoo and I don't agree with that lady', I don't know what to say.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 12, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Midnight Voyager posted:

what on earth

I have seen extremely small elderly women and children maneuver shopping carts fine, I cannot imagine a size that someone can be where they'd have trouble with a cart but not carrying potentially large stuff like milk down an aisle. I guess the Designated Cart Driver could go for the milk??

I am lost in the logistics of "can't steer a cart".
Disability exists, folks. I can easily get individual items off the shelf and put them in a cart. Then when we're through with an aisle, my husband pushes the cart, because it will exhaust me but not him.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm neurodivergent and I'm going to do what I need to accommodate myself. Good for you that shopping like a normal person doesn't drive you bonkers.

Being neurodivergent doesn't entitle you to gently caress up the flow of the grocery store in a way that multiple grocery store employees now have told you they would prefer you do not do. Stop leaving your cart unattended! Everyone on Earth has figured how how to make this work except for you

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, that's normal behavior, but those trips should take less than a minute, not five to ten minutes. Does the grocery store you shop at have exceptionally narrow aisles or something?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
/\/\/\ that was a thing I wished, that you could leave it for that long, not a thing I do

Sagebrush posted:

Stop leaving your cart unattended!

never and die mad, for real.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anyway I'm going to add this one to the file with standing up to wipe your rear end, why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital, some sort of small pastry, etc

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How about a different type of shopping cart villain to rage at

AITA for taking people’s shopping carts at Aldi so I could return them and keep the money?

quote:

My wife was shopping in Aldi and I was waiting outside, near the doors. At Aldi, you need to put a quarter in a slot to unlock a shopping cart and use it. A person walked up to me, smiling, and asked if I needed a cart. I said yes and took the cart. I waited until they left and returned it, keeping the quarter. This happened several times while my wife was shopping and I got a couple of dollars worth of quarters.

Wife says that it is a “pay-it-forward” culture and they didn’t give me the carts so I could keep the money, each one gave me a cart so I could use it and then maybe pass it on to the next person who needed a cart. I think that I was just returning the carts for them and they were comfortable with the fact that I’d get the money.

AITA?

It's Free Real Estate Money Based On Abusing Strangers' Generosity :homebrew:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
edit: nm

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

There is no one between me and the dirt so I would use the wheelbarrow. The barrier to using the cart is that navigating it around human bodies is harder.

If there's someone between me and the thing I need to get, I leave my cart behind and go around the person, I don't just stand with my cart and wait for them to move. It is this strategy, expanded to whole aisles because they're frequently blocked since I shop on weekends and it's already crazy at the store. That's all. I don't do the whole store, I do little trips dodging around people. And I don't blame anyone if my cart moves. Just like I wouldn't expect someone to consider a basket on top of an item at the thrift store 'saved'.

If you can't grasp the main idea of 'even I'm a whackadoo and I don't agree with that lady', I don't know what to say.

I definitely employ the "walk away from the cart so I can dodge around someone and obtain what I need" move, but never across aisles. I'm out and back to my cart in a little while and it's out of my sight for twenty seconds. Nobody's going to have time to grab it and reshelve anything before I say, "Excuse me, that's my cart." Making multiple out-and-back trips from the cart across multiple aisles is, um, idiosyncratic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My local chat group once had a guy complaining about how his navigation app would direct him down neighborhood side streets when highway traffic was slow but then he'd get in trouble for going highway speeds on them, and your post just gave me flashbacks.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
E: should have refreshed

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

e: thread is fast and I am slow, this is my penalty for abandoning my posting cart for 5-10 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Hmm, the store is really crowded right now and it takes me a long time to navigate it with my cart. I should:

A) Consider shopping at a different time to avoid crowds
B) Carry a basket or shopping bag instead of a cart, for easier maneuverability
C) Try asking people politely to move when they are in my way
D) Accept this as an opportunity to work on developing patience
E) Leave my cart unattended, exacerbating the crowding/blocking issues for other shoppers, inconveniencing and enraging the staff, and risking losing my groceries so I have to start over and take twice as long anyway

Guys, I think I've got it!