Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Fur20 posted:

i think all operating systems suck rear end, but mac os sucks the most rear end of them all!!

my reason is, i don't like their root-below-root-level idiotproofing. it reverts any changes you try to make on a system level after 60 seconds. which i guess is good for a user who knows gently caress all about computers, but provides negative value for basically anyone else.

the two nicest things i can say about mac os is, you can partition your drive to install a less-bad operating system on it and boot from that, and you could also play baldur's gate 2 on it natively

more skill issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
They should make a video game where you're the Domain Admin for all of North America

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Extra Large Marge posted:

They should make a video game where you're the Domain Admin for all of North America

Surely someone has to have made a IT admin-based spiritual successor to Papers Please by now.

I would probably play the poo poo out of that, tbh.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Extra Large Marge posted:

lmao, hey I can help you with that, but I was just 'a' Domain Admin, silly. No one is 'the' Domain Admin because that would be just crazy.

I mean, what happens if they get sick? Or have to go to the bathroom? Or have to take lunch? I shudder to think of the chaos!

e:for the uninitiated, the internet is a series of tubes. domain admins fill buckets full of bits and dump them into different tubes. It's hard work but we do it for you!

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 12, 2024

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

tango alpha delta posted:

lmao, hey I can help you with that, but I was just 'a' Domain Admin, silly. No one is 'the' Domain Admin because that would be just crazy.

Excuse me, I am the Domain Admin. I administrate domain. Here is my business card so you know it's real.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Aramis posted:

Surely someone has to have made a IT admin-based spiritual successor to Papers Please by now.

I would probably play the poo poo out of that, tbh.

international business consultant: 1933 edition

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Random Stranger posted:

Excuse me, I am the Domain Admin. I administrate domain. Here is my business card so you know it's real.

everyone, this is the real deal. I must confess that I was merely a poser or poseur, if you prefer.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fur20 posted:

i think all operating systems suck rear end, but mac os sucks the most rear end of them all!!

my reason is, i don't like their root-below-root-level idiotproofing. it reverts any changes you try to make on a system level after 60 seconds. which i guess is good for a user who knows gently caress all about computers, but

how have computer people been using computers in the world for the last 30 years and not realize that this is the end-all reason why apple is the most valuable company in the world? they made computers for idiots, that's what phones are

video games shouldn't require technical knowledge and the console market shows that there's a huge market for people who don't want to tinker but want to play video games. You'd think computer makers who make computers for idiots would leap at it, but i think Apple is happy making a trillion dollars a second from mobile video games so they don't give a gently caress about computers no more.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

WTF is a domain admin

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

WTF is a domain admin

some nerd poo poo from the dot-com era

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Gaius Marius posted:

WTF is a domain admin

the guy everyone used to complain about until devops made them unemployable

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

lol, you guys are hilarious, but wrong. Active Directory domains can cover tens of thousands or , in my case, hundreds of thousands of Windows computers. I managed AMER and worked with other people around the world who managed APAC and EMEA domains. It’s Windows sysadmin poo poo and has nothing to do with web2.0

Anyway, video games are cool because they are math.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

having devices running different OSes means I'm beginning to think some OSes are POS

lol, you guys are hilarious, but wrong. Active Directory domains can cover tens of thousands or , in my case, hundreds of thousands of Windows computers. I managed AMER and worked with other people around the world who managed APAC and EMEA domains. It’s Windows sysadmin poo poo and has nothing to do with web2.0

ur math

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

jokes posted:

having devices running different OSes means I'm beginning to think some OSes are POS

ur math

We are all math. In fact everything is math.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
apple rakes in cash because of their advertising and lifestyle branding. they're not gonna win more marketshare by making a better product, nobody cares how easy or hard computers are to use. windows works just as well as apple does for 99% of people. people want what's cool. apple spent 900 billion on advertising and product experience and design so people would associate their product with being cool so they could make a trillion.

advertising is astonishingly effective. human beings are conditioned to do as they're told. if you're told to buy a certain product, you will. no other consumer electronics company advertises as well as apple does.

if advertising didn't work then companies and campaigns wouldn't shell out billions on it.

everyone was buying treo 650s and palm pilots because they were cool as poo poo, until iphone came around and out-cooled them as they always do.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 12, 2024

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

sorry you lost money when the bubble burst :(

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

So does that mean art is math or does it mean that math is art?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Aramis posted:

Yes.

Music is math, too.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

MacOS sucks. It's easy to use if the only thing you ever want to do is use a browser or preinstalled programs in a basic way.

that's what 95% of people do with their computers
of course if you actually only care about browsing the internet and running word processors or whatever then spending $2000 on a ~fashionable~ laptop because the ads told you to is pretty monumentally stupid, you could do all that on a $200 device easily.
but people spend a thousand bucks on a cell phone that they only use for texting / web browsing / social media / netflix so what do i know

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yes.

Music is math, too.

:rolleyes:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

sorry you lost money when the bubble burst :(

i don't understand what you are talking about? the dotcom bubble? I didn't work in that space at all, so I was completely unaffected.

Anyway, I really dislike games as a service because not only can the publisher hold you hostage, but they can totally nerf the best equipment; see Destiny for many examples of this.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

But music is math. You know that right? Circle of Fifths, Octaves, Eighth Notes, Quarter Notes, Beats Per Minute, Note Transposition.

All Math that sounds really, really cool when done right.

It also adds a lot to a make a good game great.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Aramis posted:

The only thing that is not art is video games, until dark souls came out. The transitive property is often a fallacy

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Cosmik Debris posted:

apple rakes in cash because of their advertising and lifestyle branding. they're not gonna win more marketshare by making a better product, nobody cares how easy or hard computers are to use. windows works just as well as apple does for 99% of people. people want what's cool. apple spent 900 billion on advertising and product experience and design so people would associate their product with being cool so they could make a trillion.

advertising is astonishingly effective. human beings are conditioned to do as they're told. if you're told to buy a certain product, you will. no other consumer electronics company advertises as well as apple does.

if advertising didn't work then companies and campaigns wouldn't shell out billions on it.

everyone was buying treo 650s and palm pilots because they were cool as poo poo, until iphone came around and out-cooled them as they always do.

sorry to hear you’re not cool, that must suck

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Dick Fontaine posted:

sorry to hear you’re not cool, that must suck

anyone who wants to be cool is, by definition, not cool

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I actually prefer OSX for coding but lol I'd never pay for an apple product myself. When I started my current job in 2021 they gave me a Dell running Ubuntu and it was virtually unusable for work. I've worked on Ubuntu plenty of times so this was definitely the hardware rather than the OS, but eventually they bought me a macbook pro (after maybe a year) and I could finally do my job properly.

I have two PCs: an Intel NUC running Libreelec hooked up to the TV, and a tiny Beelink PC running Windows 11 for web browsing/word processing (the only 'games' I play on PC are companion apps for a bunch of boardgames). Oh I have a Raspberry Pi 4b for RetroPie. My PS5 gets a lot of use, the Switch gets used every now and then if I have friends over and we want to play Mario Kart, and the Xbox 360 exists entirely for Rock Band once in a blue moon. And the Mortal Kombat II Arcade 1UP cabinet.

I really want one of those digital pinball tables but I don't have enough room anywhere other than the bedrooms, where it would be pointless.

I haven't worked with Active Directory since Server 2008 (I quit IT around 2012). It was actually kinda neat what you could do with a Windows-only environment, like we made a company intranet-based app suite using MS SQL as the DB, and if you used Internet Explorer on a PC in the domain it could handle authentication automatically. We did have a couple of Mac Minis in the company (the marketing department absolutely insisted on them) and while it was a pain, I did get them to join the domain. Is that just not a thing anymore?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
This thread is a bit of a mixed bag sometimes, but two pages of people bragging (?) about their IT jobs in a gaming thread is a bit too much.

---------------

Unpopular video game opinion: RTS's are brilliant and should never have died off. They have a bit of a "ooh, we can do this with a computer?" feel to them that other extinct genres had, but while adventure games and text adventures died off, their 'itch' is still being scratched by modern stuff by puzzle games and walking simulators. The mechanics of RTS kinda died off, there's maybe clicking games or TBS stuff but they're really not the same.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I feel like RTSes died off because, rightly or wrongly, they became associated with tryhard APM competitive gameplay because of Starcraft and that casuals couldn't hang. I grew up playing AOE1 and 2 but I shied away because outside of the single player campaigns you had to play in a way that I didn't find fun, but I was also a kid and often treated AOE as a city builder than an RTS.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Worse, they're painfully out of date. All the cool kids are using Entra to manage their endpoints now :smuggo:

I always found RTSs too stressful to play. In theory I should like them.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Why the gently caress would you work when you could be playing videogames?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Serephina posted:

This thread is a bit of a mixed bag sometimes, but two pages of people bragging (?) about their IT jobs in a gaming thread is a bit too much.

I thought this was a different thread based on the conversation. Sorry.
And not bragging. Working in IT loving sucked.

Anyway. New Yakuza/Like a Dragon game in 2 weeks. Psyched as all hell for this one.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Rts's get too micromanagey.

A real commander doesn't order troops to go here and stand there. There's squads with their own intelligence and so forth.

When an RTS comes along and implements that well it'd probably be a lot of fun.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Cosmik Debris posted:

A real commander doesn't order troops to go here and stand there. There's squads with their own intelligence and so forth.

Let me tell you about Autobattlers. I think they're everything you've been waiting for and more.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Serephina posted:

---------------

Unpopular video game opinion: RTS's are brilliant and should never have died off. They have a bit of a "ooh, we can do this with a computer?" feel to them that other extinct genres had, but while adventure games and text adventures died off, their 'itch' is still being scratched by modern stuff by puzzle games and walking simulators. The mechanics of RTS kinda died off, there's maybe clicking games or TBS stuff but they're really not the same.

I worked two decades in IT, which allowed me to learn a ton of poo poo about a ton of poo poo. Buuuut, I'm retired now and do not miss it; it's a young mans game.

I'm not sure what you've been reading, but I've been adding observations and opinions about video games in every one of my posts to try and steer things back on track.

I'm really enjoying Cyberpunk on my Series X and Doom Eternal looks loving amazing with path tracing enabled. For context, I'm 55 years old. I love how much this poo poo has progressed over the last five decades.

RTS's suck on consoles, though. I loved the original Starcraft on PC and Command and Conquer blew my loving mind back in the 90's

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 13, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I liked the idea of Wargame and Steel Division but in practice I get overwhelemed with how much of the map I need to be monitoring and how much micro I need to do to prevent getting wiped. My tanks can't shoot for poo poo but theirs can always nail me from max range so I have to approach through the forest (they can still see me ) and in the meantime my arty is out of shells having never accomplished more than mere suppression and half dead from counter battery fire so I have to move them too and the infantry isn't much more than dying and oh I have to call in fighters to counter their air.

I know for those games people say play MP, and then I think getting cussed out for being bad isn't really worth this game.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Cosmik Debris posted:

Didn't Total Annihilation try to do this? I'm gonna have to boot up my copy from GOG and try it out.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Apple products, much like video games, are designed+manufactured specifically for retail consumers

Didn't Total Annihilation try to do this? I'm gonna have to boot up my copy from GOG and try it out.

Yes and no. TA had some absurd pathfinding/queuing/stacking orders so you could set your plans to patrol the perimeter of your base and attack anything that came close, with the behaviour that if they got damaged they would fly back to the repair bay. Supreme Commander tried to expand on this and added a bunch of stuff, but I was never as effective with SC as TA. There's another TA coming out thats supposed to incorporate Factorio type stuff, and I think it also has unit automation.

luv 2 learn to code so i can blast Core robits

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

I feel like RTSes died off because, rightly or wrongly, they became associated with tryhard APM competitive gameplay because of Starcraft and that casuals couldn't hang. I grew up playing AOE1 and 2 but I shied away because outside of the single player campaigns you had to play in a way that I didn't find fun, but I was also a kid and often treated AOE as a city builder than an RTS.

RTS (IMO) also very specifically require a mouse + keyboard, and the young'ns don't play games that way :corsair:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Serephina posted:

---------------

I feel like RTSs started to really die off when DOTA came into the scene because it streamlined the genre into down to just one unit, and nothing else to actively manage other than click good and yell at teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

I feel like RTSs started to really die off when DOTA came into the scene because it streamlined the genre into down to just one unit, and nothing else to actively manage other than click good and yell at teammates.

Yeah this tracks. That goes back to my post with the campaigns. I could handle those because you were focused on one area usually around a hero unit and not jumping around the map managing the gatherers and the base building and the army production and the combat. The MOBA made the genre more focused and so the twitchy and frenetic classic RTS gameplay faded and everyone who still liked that style stuck with the stalwart Blizzard and AOE titles. Probably Dawn of War and Company of Heroes also simplifying the economic side helped too.