Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

blarzgh, could you please not go into overdrive with stats before the playoff run starts? You do not need to singlehandedly build the dunking booth, fill it with water, sit on the seat and then dare the sports gods to nail the target at the worst possible time.

This is my Superbowl, gently caress the haters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

MrMojok posted:

:siren:2023 AV Leaders:siren:

Mmhmm, mhmm, yep. I have no idea what this is saying

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
It's pretty sad if your super bowl is posting disconnected stats about your favorite QB before the wildcard game

Blarzgh are you okay do you need a friend? Dak Prescott is not your friend, he does not know you exist, I mean a real one

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Drops can be a QB stat when guys like Herbert have one speed and bullet something directly into a WR's face 5 yards away from them. I've also seen some questionable drop recordings in statistics when I watch a WR drop a ball in game and not see it recorded because the stat taker thinks it was a breakup. It also punishes WRs that have to run more difficult routes. It's understandable if they have a drop doing a deep sideline or through a lot of traffic as opposed to a comeback or drag.

It's kind of unreliable as a a stat.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Doltos posted:

I think the Commanders have the bones to turn it around with a good coach. Brian Robinson is surprisingly competent at the NFL level, they still have an okay receiving corps, they got some guys playing out of their minds on defense like Fuller, Barton, and Curl. They still have a solid duo in Allen and Payne with okay rotation behind them. They have obvious needs across the OL, both CB positions (I think Forbes was a terrible pick for them), and better DEs.

The problem for them and anyone with cap space next year is the sheer amount of free agents that can all get tagged with zero quality OL coming out that's not ancient or overrated. Whichever QB they draft with the second pick is going to get slaughtered.

my proposed draft is a QB and the entire Michigan offensive line

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

indigi posted:

Hurts/Purdy are way too high but that looks right generally

Hurts makes sense where he is considering the tush push makes him one of the best goal line backs in the league

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Doltos posted:

All Pros are just awards for counting stats and are bullshit a lot. Tyron Smith is second team while missing 4 games, Jason Kelce wasn't that good this year, first team all pro. It's a shame people use them to advocate for HoF status.

this

Trent Williams should have been all pro his entire career and hasn't been and I don't understand why
11 pro bowls but only 3 all pros - its weird

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

shyduck posted:

Seems similar to Gold Glove awards in baseball. They should've shut the whole thing down when they gave one to Bobby Abreu

Or NBA all defense teams
Kobe and Rodman both kept getting them years after they stopped putting full effort on defense

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

blarzgh posted:

and of course you can guess what QB was dead last in reciever drops, both total and percentages
Purdy - 2.1%!!! Only 9 drops all year lmao

that's called having a soft touch and perfect timing
Purdy throws the ball like he put velcro on it

Dak wishes he could do that

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have decided that Sirianni should not be fired this year. All the other teams are already building out most wanted lists and arranging interviews and poo poo, all the hot prospects are gonna be snapped up. Better to wait it out, fire him next year, and get the search going early.

Fire the coordinators and Patricia (from a cannon, into the sun) though.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

predicto posted:

that's called having a soft touch and perfect timing
Purdy throws the ball like he put velcro on it

Dak wishes he could do that

Hm yes what a wise thing to think in the face of so much evidence and information to the contrary

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Every eagles fan in the world would trade Siriani for BB.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Where is Purdy on “””drops”””

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

davecrazy posted:

Unironcally yes, let's get weird

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

davecrazy posted:

I'd trade him for a speak-n-spell with "Patricia you are fired" pre-typed in so this is not a high bar

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Febreeze posted:

Blarzgh are you okay do you need a friend? Dak Prescott is not your friend, he does not know you exist, I mean a real one

Dak is Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

shyduck posted:

Its saying Myles Garrett is the best at something. Therefore its valid.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Dak IS my friend

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

shyduck posted:

Why, it’s perfectly clear!

quote:

Created by PFR founder Doug Drinen, the Approximate Value (AV) method is an attempt to put a single number on the seasonal value of a player at any position from any year (since 1960). The way Drinen described the intent of this measurement was:

"AV is not meant to be a be-all end-all metric. Football stat lines just do not come close to capturing all the contributions of a player the way they do in baseball and basketball.

If one player is a 16 and another is a 14, we can't be very confident that the 16AV player actually had a better season than the 14AV player. But I am pretty confident that the collection of all players with 16AV played better, as an entire group, than the collection of all players with 14AV."

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

davecrazy posted:

Every eagles fan in the world would trade Siriani for BB 20 years ago.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bb has always been a creature of Brady and 10000000x overrated by sports writers jonesing for access

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
If Mara announced that Bill was HC of the NYG with Daboll going to OC/Assist HC id sign for it, but Bill would need to be contractually obligated to wear the throwback Starter jackets at all team events.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

euphronius posted:

Bb has always been a creature of Brady and 10000000x overrated by sports writers jonesing for access
I mean it's not like he'd let Matt Patricia be DC

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

blarzgh posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't watch the games, sorry but football is more than a spreadsheet, nerd

:wrong:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Everyone wants BB as their coach. No one wants BB as their GM.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

euphronius posted:

idk man he's always been an amazing defensive coach. the Pats defense allowed the fewest ppg over the last 10 weeks and can you name anybody in that unit? the only ones I could are Matt Judon (IR in week 5) and JC Jackson (famously terrible). even his offenses made the playoffs with Mac Jones and looked respectable with busted Cam Newton. he just got too old and stale

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
like obviously he isn't winning 6 without Brady. but that means he wouldn't of win 6 with Rodgers or Manning either

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MrMojok posted:

Why, it’s perfectly clear!

People have been trying to invent the NFL equivalent of WAR (baseball stat) for two decades now and it's never really going to work.

Football has 22 moving parts on every play and that doesn't even count the play calls, coaches and all that. Baseball is a 1 on 1 matchup EVERY at bat and is easier to isolate. Having said that, the list looks pretty legit for the most part but it's still just "these guys are really good". In some ways, it's more fun to talk like this with football because ANYONE can do it and most of it is just talking poo poo with opinions. Hell, we all do it every monday morning at work and right here in this thread. ESPN, NFL network, websites and such pay guys to do it.

In baseball, there's not a ton of argument to be had with knowing that Shohei Ohtani is the best player in the league and such because it's far easier to measure.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What happened to your Quint avatar?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
An overly mad goon happened to it *opens trenchcoat to show collection of red tags* what are ya buyin stranger

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Well I may have to remedy that.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

It's pretty sad if your super bowl is posting disconnected stats about your favorite QB before the wildcard game

Let's all just allow each other to enjoy football their own way. I will enjoy my favorite players and team have success and recognition, you giants fans can enjoy eagles fans suffering, and eagles fans can enjoy suffering.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

People have been trying to invent the NFL equivalent of WAR (baseball stat) for two decades now and it's never really going to work.

The idea that the only viable football analysis is "Da Eye Test" has never ever ever been true.

No one is trying to create the 'NFL Equivalent of WAR(baseball stat)'. Smart people are finding ways to better analyze what takes place on the field. Nothing more, nothing less.

No one's trying to force you to think about football or make you stop calling WIP to yell about how Taylor Swift is a distraction. You are not under attack.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Going to be wild waking up on Tuesday and Brian Daboll is the only tenured coach in the NFC East

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Harlock posted:

Going to be wild waking up on Tuesday and Brian Daboll is the only tenured coach in the NFC East

Commanders still have an (assistant) Head Coach.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Febreeze posted:

Let him have these last few hours before the Cowboys are eliminated in the first round. It's a Cowboys fan best time of the year.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

CapnAndy posted:

I have decided that Sirianni should not be fired this year. All the other teams are already building out most wanted lists and arranging interviews and poo poo, all the hot prospects are gonna be snapped up. Better to wait it out, fire him next year, and get the search going early.

Fire the coordinators and Patricia (from a cannon, into the sun) though.

This is why they should have loving done it weeks ago. I haven't been this moribund about the eagles since chip kelly.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MORE:

{Old Style}

[NEW STYLE]

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Harlock posted:

If they lose 40-0 opening week again he's gone before the first snap of Week 2. This division could look very different next week, and it could look completely different in October

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
lol Purdy being ahead ofDak in anything is laughable