Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

StoryTime posted:

Epic Games Store gave this Guardians of the Galaxy game for free so I'm trying it out. I've been out of the loop when it comes to the whole Marvel universe thing and the movies they've been making.

Who the gently caress is Star Lord? Why are they pushing him so hard on to me? Does he even have super powers? He has laser guns and jet boots and a visor he stole from Samus, but even the Starfox ripoff he hangs around is cooler than him. Marvel has a roster of super heroes a mile deep and I'm stuck with this idiot. Where's Wolverine? I wanna play as Wolverine. Spider-Man is in the cards I suppose since young Peter was in the opening. Look, just let me play as the dog weasel creature, I'm willing to bargain here.

Otherwise it's a fine game and some of the writing is actually legit funny, and the option to turn off QTEs is almost as good as not having them in the first place. I don't understand Star Lord though, even if he made a pretty good sounding power metal album. This still isn't Brütal Legend and you can't convince me otherwise by having a fake heavy metal album in the intro.

Star Lord the character has been around since the 1970s. The Chris Pratt movie version has been around since 2014. he's been around.

i mean good on you for avoiding Marvel movies in general but Star Lord has been one of their bigger characters for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Morpheus posted:

I love the idea of calling a character group developed in 1976 a ripoff of Metroid and Star Fox, that's gotta be a bit.

i treat all posts on SA as wholesome and earnest

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What the hell is this Groot guy supposed to be? Some kind of *squints* small pastry?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Grain of salt info, but a GameShark licensee has revealed a September release for the Switch 2.0

https://www.eurogamer.net/gameshark-licensee-briefly-gets-everyone-excited-by-revealing-switch-2s-september-launch

gameshark is still around?!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's AI now somehow

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Mo' like Gameshart

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I wish game cheat add ons were still popular. Loved those when I was a kid.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Morpheus posted:

I love the idea of calling a character group developed in 1976 a ripoff of Metroid and Star Fox, that's gotta be a bit.

I do miss the original Guardians. I'm still a bit salty at how the movies treated my boy Yondu.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Was Star Lord's mix tape all contemporary music at the time...

Oh they didn't have tapes back then

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
why dev make game about character I don't know? dev should only make game about character I know, me know only good characters, no bad ones

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
why do devs always just make poo poo up all the time

*much later*

why are games so unoriginal these days

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Was Star Lord's mix tape all contemporary music at the time...

Oh they didn't have tapes back then

The original Star Lord was some unrepentant rear end in a top hat who was supposed to go on a Hero's Journey to become a good guy, but that was all in the head of his creator who left Marvel. They made him a Space Cop in the 80's, and then he was just forgotten about for 20 years. It wasn't until 2006 they brought him back and made the modern Guardians.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Played the Granblue Relink demo and it's pretty cool so far. It feels like if Monhun had a really robust story mode and instead of weapons you pick from a bunch of characters who all have distinct playstyles. I messed around in some hunts with Zeta who's basically a dragoon who can pogo around and has a bunch of counter moves and Narmaya who's a samurai lady who can stance swap between sick iaijutsu combos and katana slash spam. I should try out a few more of the guys in the demo.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

In a way, we are all groot

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlestonJew posted:

why dev make game about character I don't know? dev should only make game about character I know, me know only good characters, no bad ones

This, but unironically

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

I Am Groot, I Am Groot Groot

fixed

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

guys they're making a smite 2

that's right it only took 10 years but anhur is finally getting a new character model

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

that's right it only took 10 years but anhur is finally getting a new character model

holy poo poo you werent joking. Smite 1 is the only MOBA to ever do anything for me. I love that game so much.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

guess all those weird crossovers actually paid off, good for them

it's honestly kinda surprising anyone would try to make a "new" MOBA in 2024, especially when they've already got a version that works. maybe their thinking is that they've got the potential to capture the disaffected OW crowd by pumping up the action elements more

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vermain posted:

it's honestly kinda surprising anyone would try to make a "new" MOBA in 2024, especially when they've already got a version that works. maybe their thinking is that they've got the potential to capture the disaffected OW crowd by pumping up the action elements more

Their keynote even directly called out Overwatch 2, "not just a balance pass that we are calling a sequel." It is using Unreal Engine 5 as well. Smite 2 is a stand alone game.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

TBF as someone who's seen but only vaguely remembers the GOTG movies, and since the game is explicitly not the MCU version (but also maybe kind of?), I agree it's not super easy to jump into the game's plot. It doesn't help that the GOTG plot isn't a basic and well known backstory like "nerdy kid gets bit by spider, gets spider-like powers", so starting the game I have no idea what the characters' relationships with each other is supposed to be or how they came together. Is Star-Lord still the son of a planet in this version?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Vermain posted:

its always the same logic of if I could only get a piece of that pie. But devs and producers never seem to get the message that flooding the market will just make people play the popular one more and not try all the other stuff - unless you do something really new and different. but at that point you aren't a rip off.

It's basically gambling for the game industry. Spend all this money on the chance that your thing will take off and make a billion dollars a year.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Their keynote even directly called out Overwatch 2, "not just a balance pass that we are calling a sequel." It is using Unreal Engine 5 as well. Smite 2 is a stand alone game.

UE3 to UE5 and a UI that doesn't still use Flash ("yes, that Flash") lmao

skins and stuff will not transfer though (you get gems instead), and not all the gods will be playable at the start unfortunately, but still probably gonna be pretty good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IGF announced their 2024 finalists. i'll bold stuff i've played whether it's the full game or demo. they haven't announced the winners yet

Best Student Game: Goodbye.monster, Once Upon a Jester, Pile Up!, Planetka, RAM: Random Access Mayhem, TRY AGAIN
(Honorable mentions: A Day With Mochi, Barkane, Birds Aren't Real, Cyberside Picnic, Entangled, Lime Juice, Re:Fresh. 2022 Winner: Slider)

Excellence in Audio: A Highland Song, Cocoon, Nour: Play With Your Food, Rhythm Doctor, Tchia, Venba
(Honorable mentions: Anthology of the Killer, El Paso Elsewhere, Let's! Revolution!, Planet of Lana, Stray Gods. 2022 Winner: The Forest Quartet)

Excellence in Design: Chants of Sennaar, Cobalt Core, Cocoon, Cryptmaster, Final Profit: A Shop RPG, Isles of Sea and Sky
(Honorable mentions: 20 Small Mazes, Peaks of Yore, Price of Flight, Timberborn. 2022 Winner: The Case of the Golden Idol)

Excellence in Narrative: 1000xRESIST, A Highland Song, Mediterranea Inferno, The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood, The Wreck, Venba
(Honorable mentions: Goodbye Volcano High, Saltsea Chronicles, Slay the Princess, Stray Gods, The Archivist and the Revolution. 2022 Winner: Immortality)

Excellence in Visual Arts: Anthology of the Killer, Clash: Artifacts of Chaos, Darkest Dungeon II, Little Goody Two Shoes, Phonopolis, Venba
(Honorable mentions: 30 Birds, Chants of Sennaar, Goodbye Volcano High, Nidus, Sludge Life 2. 2022 Winner: RPG Time: The Legend of Wright)

Nuovo Award: 1000xRESIST, Anthology of the Killer, Cryptmaster, Kevin (1997-2077), Mediterranea Inferno, Nidus, The Forest Cathedral
(Honorable mentions: BlueSuburbia, Goodbye.monster, In Stars and Time, Nour: Play With Your Food, The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood. 2022 Winner: Betrayal at Club Low)

Seamus McNally Grand Prize: 1000xRESIST, A Highland Song, Anthology of the Killer, Cocoon, Mediterranea Inferno, Venba
(Honorable mentions: Chants of Sennaar, Final Profit: A Shop RPG, Goodbye Volcano High, In Stars and Time, Rhythm Doctor, Tchia, The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood. 2022 Winner: Betrayal at Club Low)

the grand prize is $10,000 while the other categories award $2000. not exactly life changing money for an indie developer but in some cases it might be more money than the game actually makes off of sales (a sad lol)

Anthology of the Killer is free and on itch.io, it's by thecatamites of space funeral and many other strange and funny games from the past decade

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's called the Switch because you Switch it off and go play a real console like the Sega Mega Drive, now on its 36th continuous year of winning

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Waffleman_ posted:

It's AI now somehow

I like that they are stylizing it as Ai Shark. Like someone was startled to see a shark.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Aftermath_site/status/1745923564199461160?s=20

We're not even two weeks into the year

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

UE3 to UE5 and a UI that doesn't still use Flash ("yes, that Flash") lmao

skins and stuff will not transfer though (you get gems instead), and not all the gods will be playable at the start unfortunately, but still probably gonna be pretty good
any game with a scaleform logo at the start has a flash gui, its not that weird

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

any game with a scaleform logo at the start has a flash gui, its not that weird

Fair, that would be like 100% of video games in the last few console generations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I liked the heron, but the boy? Gtfo

e: wrong thread

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Recoiling from this image not unlike a vampire from a crucifix

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if that's a wind element crucifix of blue or rarer, I'll take it for my Wolverine

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

*joker voice* i'm gonna play suicide squad.....and LIKE IT

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

absolutely howling at the game openly having 5 currencies

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Zokari posted:

*joker voice* i'm gonna play suicide squad.....and LIKE IT

Want to :toxx: on that? :smug:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate

Vermain posted:

absolutely howling at the game openly having 5 currencies

The only good game with a bunch of different currencies is DRG and it's not even any good in that game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

The only good game with a bunch of different currencies is DRG and it's not even any good in that game.

Fallout New Vegas?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

How can a looter shooter have more needlessly complicated itemization than Path of Exile

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Feldegast42 posted:

How can a looter shooter have more needlessly complicated itemization than Path of Exile

I know we're all having fun mocking suicide squad here but let's not say anything we might regret.

Yes, the picture is a joke, but the joke is that it very well could be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

tfw you've been Krangled