Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I went into Attack of the Clones to see clones attacking, and by God I got what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
My initial reaction to Phantom Menace was that it was just a fun space adventure, with Jar Jar and the Battle Droids standing out as fascinating, authentically-alien characters. Attack Of The Clones I thought was 'so bad it's good' camp, and Revenge of The Sith was a return to fun space adventure with a surprising gut punch at "you were the chosen one!!!"

Not long afterwards afterwards, I got all snobby and held the opinion that - unlike the "OT" films - the prequels were not properly illustrative of true heroic virtues or something. It was a bad time.

Many years later, I realized that my initial impressions were right on, but simply underdeveloped because I had little understanding of the original films, or of satire.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Robot Style posted:

In the same way Godzilla was an attempt to use science fiction to work through fears about atomic warfare, Revenge of the Sith is Lucas posting "WATCH BUSH START A loving WAR" over and over again for two hours.

And that's why it's great.

You also don't get many movies that properly commit to the downer 'the bad guy wins' endings so gleefully rubbed in your face. And that probably only got away with it because we already know the resolution.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Glottis posted:

I first saw AOTC a week before it hit theaters on an extremely blurry bootleg video, and was hyped and thought it was way better than TPM. There's a scene with like 800 lightsabers!

And each one with a corresponding plastic spoon in cereal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FunkyAl posted:

And each one with a corresponding plastic spoon in cereal.

Those were loving awesome.

RotS also has Palpatine reaching supercritical scenery chewing.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
The prequels are pretty terrible from a writing and dialogue standpoint, but they have such a unique art direction, style and vision, which is half the reason they stay so memorable / they are uplifted by all the various side products that adapt things from them.

It's easy to forget that George and his company, were basically the richest independent film company in existence, and they made everything outside the usual studios. Thus George was able to apply a singular vision, for better or worse, and the films don't feel like they're built by a committee in the same way the sequels do.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And let's not forget Matt Stover's novelization of RotS. When books are adapted to film, the usual complaint is that you lose the characters' inner dialogue. Stover's book adds that to RotS and elevates the source material in doings so. If you like the movie, the book will increase your appreciation of the movie. If you don't like the movie, try the book, it might make the movie good for you, and it's a good novel in its own right.

Arguably the best Star Wars novel ever published, check it out.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

mllaneza posted:

And let's not forget Matt Stover's novelization of RotS. When books are adapted to film, the usual complaint is that you lose the characters' inner dialogue. Stover's book adds that to RotS and elevates the source material in doings so. If you like the movie, the book will increase your appreciation of the movie. If you don't like the movie, try the book, it might make the movie good for you, and it's a good novel in its own right.

I actually bought this prior to seeing the movie, and read the first quarter or so, stopping after the Palpatine rescue / crash landing on coruscant. I had to force myself to stop excitedly reading more, lest I spoil the movie for myself.

Then I was quite bummed watching how those scenes played out in the actual movie. Then I was bummed again reading the rest of the novel, as it did a much better job portraying Anakin's fall than the film did.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 12, 2024

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

mllaneza posted:

I do remember reading this and loving it. Certainly better than the movie in hindsight. I tried watching RoTS again after finishing up Clone Wars and it just didn't work for me at all.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Isometric Bacon posted:

The prequels are pretty terrible from a writing and dialogue standpoint.

Could you provide some examples of good writing and dialogue, as a comparison?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“Then I'll see you in hell!” - Han Solo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Somehow, Palpatine returned

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I vaguely remember being up and down on the prequels at the time and liking RotS the most, but I definitely remember fully hooting and hollering at lightsaber yoda and thinking it ruled and guess what? i still do

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The space liberals were written badly and acted woodenly on purpose sounds like a cop out but it’s actually true in this case

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've never particularly liked the "jumping around" duel choreography of the prequels. They overcorrected for the lack of choreography in the OT, which gave the duels some authenticity. I also prefer the 'mystic monk' Yoda of the OT rather than the 'mystic Yoda that does the jumping around dueling' of the PT, but that might just be me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's just classic adventure movie choreography with lasers and explosions. Swordfights are supposed to involve jumping on tables and swinging from chandeliers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The characters in the PT are less authentic than in the OT

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've never particularly liked the "jumping around" duel choreography of the prequels. They overcorrected for the lack of choreography in the OT, which gave the duels some authenticity. I also prefer the 'mystic monk' Yoda of the OT rather than the 'mystic Yoda that does the jumping around dueling' of the PT, but that might just be me.

It's not just you. It showed Lucas's lack of creativity there, in the first duel between competent, well trained force users. It ended up being significantly less creative than the Cloud City fight and was a huge disappointment. I will go to my grave believing Yoda shouldn't have ever had a lightsaber and should have been doing space wizard stuff, not space knight.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

Yoda shouldn't have ever had a lightsaber and should have been doing space wizard stuff, not space knight.

That’s exactly the point yes

He’s a big gently caress up in the PT

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I agree that Yoda should not have been the first Muppet with a laser sword. We didn't get a single Ewok Jedi

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yoda agrees he should not have had a light saber.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I liked Yoda space ninja

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Seeing that as a kid we all thought it was hysterical. Like it is deliberately a complete subversion of how you'd think Yoda would fight, that is the joke

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

He's pretty clear on the subject of wars not making you great by the time of Empire, so anyone who was expecting him to come off as great in his one big war wasn't paying attention.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Many years later, I realized that my initial impressions were right on, but simply underdeveloped because I had little understanding of the original films, or of satire.

a seemingly common affliction

euphronius posted:

The characters in the PT are less authentic than in the OT

No Dignity posted:

Seeing that as a kid we all thought it was hysterical. Like it is deliberately a complete subversion of how you'd think Yoda would fight, that is the joke

The problem isn't even not getting that it's a joke, it's rejecting the notion that you can or should joke about these things. yoda and the republic are serious and deserve our respect

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucas actually did character development and it enraged people

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Young Yoda should have been portrayed by a massive bodybuilder with a flowing mane who never did anything but utter wise sayings and ask if you judge him by his size

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RBA Starblade posted:

Young Yoda should have been portrayed by a massive bodybuilder with a flowing mane who never did anything but utter wise sayings and ask if you judge him by his size

lol, this is such a DBZ villain approach.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

More relevantly, examples from the OT?

Lucas is a good writer of wooden dialogue, some would even say, the king lol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DeimosRising posted:

The problem isn't even not getting that it's a joke, it's rejecting the notion that you can or should joke about these things. yoda and the republic are serious and deserve our respect

The problem with the prequels is that Lucas thinks the funny jokey films are actually life-and-death serious, because he's a moron.

This is completely different from myself, who certainly does not ascribe an undo importance on the spaceships and robots movie, and I'll thank you not to make that comparison. :colbert:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
George Suckass

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Purely as fights, divorced from the stories around them, I think I like the ST fights the most.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

RBA Starblade posted:

Platoda

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's long been an area of interest that baby yoda has taken such a dominant position in disney even as all other yodas have seen sharp declines. Even young albeit not a baby normal yoda achieved little traction, despite this enthralling concept art

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's a pretty classic cliche of martial arts stories and the like that the old wise master who everyone thinks is past his prime will at some point fight someone and bust some super cool moves thus demonstrating he's still got it. To translate this to Yoda in Star Wars, he has to be using a lightsabre and using the Jedi Council approved backflip combat

E: Yoda chat reminded me of this tweet

https://twitter.com/depechejoe/status/1592297919453233154?t=9b7fpMTdPo8xxzse5VHesg&s=19

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 13, 2024

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
he should have whipped out a gun

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

At one point Yoda wasn't even a Jedi, let alone a competent lightsaber wielder.

From a ROTJ story conference with Lawrence Kasdan:

quote:

Lucas: Also another misconception is that Yoda teaches Jedi, but he is like a guru; he doesn’t go out and fight anybody.

Kasdan: A Jedi Master is a Jedi isn’t he?

Lucas: Well, he is a teacher, not a real Jedi. Understand that?

Kasdan: I understand what you’re saying, but I can’t believe it; I am in shock.

Lucas: It’s true, absolutely true, not that it makes any difference to the story.

Kasdan: You mean he wouldn’t be any good in a fight?

Lucas: Not with Darth Vader he wouldn’t.

Kasdan: I accept it, but I don’t like it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like that, to be honest. Who says Yoda has to be mighty?

I mean, that question is silly now because obviously he could crush planets with his mind, but still...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Robot Style posted:

At one point Yoda wasn't even a Jedi, let alone a competent lightsaber wielder.

From a ROTJ story conference with Lawrence Kasdan:
To be fair, Yoda doesn't actually win either of his big fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think it's worth considering that Lucas seemed to become a bit of a cynic over the course of his life and career. Even though he was very politically-aware and anti-war as a young man, the purity of wisdom he imagines Yoda having seems like the optimism of a young man. Making a figure of purported sage wisdom into a hypocritical warmonger and violent warrior seems like the cynicism of a left-leaning man who burnt all that optimism away over decades of bitter social and political disillusionment.