Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

poisonpill posted:

Yeah I’m not an HR expert or anything but from my many many training, just send the contractor packing. Someone being offended unreasonably isn’t harassment, again I say only as having sat through the training videos and not giving advice

I don't think it's unreasonable offense, just that harm wasn't intended. Lots of prying into her dating life, making recommendations about what she should do to attract men, expressing concern that she lives with her boyfriend because [para] "if he ends up not being the right guy, you're limiting your options because a lotta guys don't want second-hand goods." Stuff like that. The phrase "high value woman" (referring to her age/education/general appearance) came out a few times, with the context being that she should have her pick of men and therefore don't try dating these types, stick to lawyers and doctors and blah blah. (Witness confirmed the terms he used, also. The witness said that it was cringeworthy but didn't think he meant harm. Her perspective was that she'd have just rolled her eyes and been like 'okay dad,' but she also has the advantage of being an intern and not having to stay here.)

That sort of stuff. Inexcusable, but intended to be well-meaning in this weird-rear end "parent to the new hires" sort of way and not "hey you look hot, wanna gently caress me in particular?" sort of way. Dumbass should know better after this long in the industry, and goddamn it leaves me in a tough spot.

On one hand, I'm always peeved when people don't just tell the person to shut the gently caress up. On the other hand, though, she's new to the company, her manager just went on vacation, and both of his backups vanished and left her with no comfortable chain of command to go up. I can't expect someone new to a company culture to feel comfortable telling her assigned mentor to gently caress off. That's not a reasonable ask (IMO) for an early-career newcomer to a group.

quote:

How set in stone is the hiring freeze? Can you make a case to get an exception to replace the old guard due to the risk of lawsuit (that you can make despite HR not stepping up)?

Unassailable. They'd sooner burn down my building than give me another hire.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah he probably needs some disciplinary action for that. Not a bullshit class but "your continued employment here depends on you never talking to female coworkers like that ever again."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So you have two problems. That dude sounds like a completely untrainable liability to the company that will take time to move along and out, and a new contractor who's into to the company was lack of/failed management chain with nowhere for her to go for help. She will never be happy there unless and until old guy is gone.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah he probably needs some disciplinary action for that. Not a bullshit class but "your continued employment here depends on you never talking to female coworkers like that ever again."

100% That kind of thing is goddamn beyond all comprehension. How is he still there? How does he not have prior disciplinary action documented about this behavior so he can be sent out unceremoniously on his rear end right now? Or better yet, BEFORE the hiring freeze.

This is actions or lack thereof coming home to roost.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Yeah okay that’s worth him getting written up

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Motronic posted:

So you have two problems. That dude sounds like a completely untrainable liability to the company that will take time to move along and out, and a new contractor who's into to the company was lack of/failed management chain with nowhere for her to go for help. She will never be happy there unless and until old guy is gone.

Yeah. From the big picture the expeditious thing for executive interests is let her walk and pay her what to them is some couch change to settle the lawsuit.

As such, I suspect that if Sundae were determined to fire the guy HR would block him.

They're going to merely "present him with his options" (and I predict his boss will similarly refuse to Make A Decision) because they want him to be the one responsible for deciding not to fire Old Timer. So if there's any future necessity to pin blame, it's already firmly pinned.

e: if on the other hand the executive sociopaths want Sundae's team to shrink then they'll seize the opportunity to fire the guy and Sundae won't be given a choice in the matter.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

e: You also need to sit down with Old Timer and very specifically explain to him what he must never say or do ever again.

Sorry, missed your post while responding. Yeah, one way or another he's going on a PIP with "Shut the gently caress up" as the goal for the next year or two. "You will have no conversations in lab other than work-related topics" or whatever I can get approved re: official verbiage. The closest HR-approvable verbiage to "shut the gently caress up, stay in your lane, and then sit in the corner with a dunce hat on until your next performance review," basically.

My ideal outcome would be:
1) An apology passed on via management to her (so no conversation required or feeling of obligation that she accept it or say "that's alright" or anything)
2) PIP for Old Timer
3) Work arrangement wherein they are never put working together alone or where he is the senior person with nobody else to help (aka, no putting her + intern + Old Timer).
4) A conversation and understanding that the team is so small that I can't run it without contractor being willing to work in a professional group environment / potentially in his vicinity, and the understanding that I will jettison him into the sun on a second offense.
5) If she can't deal with that, then I try to work out an agreement with her agency that they transfer her to a different role in our company that may have openings and I hire a new contractor to replace her through them (in order to hopefully not eat the early termination fee on her contract). Also, then this hopefully gets her out of her own early termination fee. She can't leave / quit without getting fined by her contract firm. She'd owe them a shitload of money if she quit on them.

quote:

How is he still there? How does he not have prior disciplinary action documented about this behavior so he can be sent out unceremoniously on his rear end right now?

That's the part that's boggling my mind. In spite of literally giving HR references for all his past people he's talked to / established his own pattern of behavior, there are (according to HR) no past complaints on him. They're treating this as a first offense, as a result. I'm wondering if previous leadership in our group just didn't report them up the chain?

quote:

They're going to merely "present him with his options" (and I predict his boss will similarly refuse to Make A Decision) because they want him to be the one responsible for deciding not to fire Old Timer. So if there's any future necessity to pin blame, it's already firmly pinned.

HR and legal HATE making decisions here. It's the weirdest poo poo. Two years ago (maybe 3? COVID time dilation was a thing), I legit had to refuse to help HR and legal. Some idiot tried to whistleblow through me post-termination, I sent his contact info up the chain to HR and legal, and they asked me to call him and find out if whatever he wants to tell us is worth listening to. I told them both to gently caress off and talk to him themselves, because it is 100% not in my job description whatsoever.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 12, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Wow that's a turbo version of my "reportees A, B and C and two of them apparently cannot stand being in the same room together", congrats!

Nothing exciting has happened there except that some of the stuff C put in their self appraisal is.... overstating the amount of time these things would actually take.

Like, I know I'm relatively new but if you say that part of your main delivery is a data task and I actually look into it and there have been ~10 of these in the whole year and they're basically just filling a spreadsheet and getting the output validated, I am not going to believe you that they take 20 hours each or whatever.

Edit: oh my god I just read the post above about the comments, :wow:

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 12, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sundae posted:

5) If she can't deal with that, then I try to work out an agreement with her agency that they transfer her to a different role in our company that may have openings and I hire a new contractor to replace her through them (in order to hopefully not eat the early termination fee on her contract). Also, then this hopefully gets her out of her own early termination fee. She can't leave / quit without getting fined by her contract firm. She'd owe them a shitload of money if she quit on them.

That would doubtless be worked into the lawsuit. I mean I estimate the probability that she walks away without suing at approximately 0%.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sundae posted:

Unassailable. They'd sooner burn down my building than give me another hire.

This seems like your least painful solution tbh.

Man that sucks. Between the answer that's best for the company, the answer that's best for your team, and the answer that will cause you personally the least headaches (lol this one doesn't exist) you're in for some rough times no matter what.

At the very least some kind of formal (maybe short of termination but serious) disciplinary thing needs to happen to the old guard dude, because that behavior is pretty well beyond "innocent dumbassery" in a professional setting even if he genuinely didn't mean any harm. Also god help you if he tries to "fix" things with her, given his clear lack of judgment.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sundae are you actually working with this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Yo_vLDczQ

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

That would doubtless be worked into the lawsuit. I mean I estimate the probability that she walks away without suing at approximately 0%.

The more I think about it and with more specifics of old dude's topics of conversation plus the disappearing management trick this is surely going to end up that way. And Sundae: make HR deal with it. I think this is the time to make them make the decisions, and you should be spending your time getting your boss on board to support that idea/requirement.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, if he's using PUA/incel language at work we're way beyond innocence/clueless.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sundae posted:

4) A conversation and understanding that the team is so small that I can't run it without contractor being willing to work in a professional group environment / potentially in his vicinity, and the understanding that I will jettison him into the sun on a second offense.

The problem with this particular part is that it's already firmly established in her mind that he is intensely disliked and distrusted, so just about anything he says or does is going to feel like a second offense to her. She'll be lodging another complaint against him inside of a month, almost 100%.

I'm not saying that dismissively; if there's trauma involved a person will simply perceive the same input data in a very very different way from other people. It's just how human minds work.

As Sundae said, if the guy is fired she will be ostracized by the rest of the team. There is no good outcome for her here. This very likely ends with the company paying her ~a year's salary, half of which goes to her lawyer.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 12, 2024

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Also god help you if he tries to "fix" things with her, given his clear lack of judgment.

He has straight-up been told that if he speaks to her before the HR investigation is done, he will be fired. It might actually make my job easier if he does. :v:

E: Either way, I'm stuck waiting for HR to finish their loving investigation, which they say will be sometime next week. Good thing I got this info over to them in loving NOVEMBER. GLAD YOU'RE GIVING THIS SUCH URGENCY.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 12, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

As Sundae said, if the guy is fired she will be ostracized by the rest of the team. There is no good outcome for her here. This very likely ends with the company paying her ~a year's salary, half of which goes to her lawyer.

And if it comes to that, part of the settlement will be sending him packing.

So when you do the HR calculus, dude needs to get fired now-ish.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Motronic posted:

And if it comes to that, part of the settlement will be sending him packing.

So when you do the HR calculus, dude needs to get fired now-ish.

It just depends on whether executive management wants to send him packing or not. If they want to keep him they'll just pay her more to drop that requirement. If they don't, they'll probably just fire him now and hope she quits after a few months' pariahhood without suing anyway for a hostile work environment.

HR should definitely be laying the groundwork for replacing him ASAP, definitely starting with a PIP, but the hiring freeze complicates that of course.

e: A lot depends on information we don't and won't have, which basically boils down to could she actually win a lawsuit over this. If she can't then there will be a limit to the demands she can make before accepting a settlement. If Legal/HR decide she can, Old Timer will be fired. And part of why it's taking so long is probably because Legal is being consulted.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 12, 2024

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

A lot depends on information we don't and won't have, which basically boils down to could she actually win a lawsuit over this.

Yeah this is about the limits of what I can say / know that is shareable. There's a lot I don't know, I wasn't allowed to be present in any of the HR interviews with the individuals, etc etc. I have no idea how legal/arbitration/lawsuits work with this stuff in my state because I hoped that HR would do their loving jobs and not try to lump this poo poo back on me. I looooove this kinda poo poo, I tell ya.

Dear Santa, for Christmas this year, please just make people shut the gently caress up and do their jobs. That's all I want. Not even world peace, just peace and loving quiet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This is really interesting for me, especially because being in an extremely male-dominated field I almost never had any non-male teammembers. However now it seems to be (thankfully) changing with a lot more female coworkers. I don't think there have been any issues but as a team lead I want to keep an eye out for this. Any tips on being proactive? HR does the usual harassment training etc, just wondering if it would do more harm than good to tell female reports to please bring up anything that makes you uncomfortable to leads/managers/HR asap.

Knock wood we don't have any potential problem folks that I know of but just dreading this potential issue. I'd never choose to go back to all male teams though that just felt bad and wrong to not have some representation.

The last time I had to deal with any issue like this was in university where a female classmate (one of only 4 in our class, engineering :sigh:) was getting pursued by some other classmate pretty hard and she asked me (as her lab partner) if I could talk to him about it, and I did. It ended well because he got the message and backed off.

priznat fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 12, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

priznat posted:

lol no there will be partitions!

Also kneeling is optional but chairs are for closers

saw the thread title change and just wanted to give this post props

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sundae posted:

Also, then this hopefully gets her out of her own early termination fee. She can't leave / quit without getting fined by her contract firm. She'd owe them a shitload of money if she quit on them.
What you've done here is identified specific damages she can sue your company for if she quits due to this, in addition to vaguer stuff like "loss of income" and "emotional damage". Plus as Motronic pointed out he's using specific language that indicates he knows what he's doing, so since that's on the record the company is going to be hard pushed to defend against it. Old dude needs to go.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

priznat posted:

....tell female reports to please bring up anything that makes you uncomfortable to leads/managers/HR asap.

mmmmmmmmm......... I'm going to say no.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

priznat posted:

just wondering if it would do more harm than good to tell female reports to please bring up anything that makes you uncomfortable to leads/managers/HR asap.

There's a reason the annual harassment training already tells employees how to report harassment. It's because you shouldn't be just lobbing poo poo like this out there into the breeze for no reason. In a discriminatory fashion at that.

E: To be clear, I know it wasn't your intention to be discriminatory, but here we are, with an object lesson of why HR is best left to HR.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 12, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I figured it would be a bad plan, just gotta be reactive then.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Holy crap, when I read Sundae's first post I figured "Yeah, probably asking someone if they have a partner or maybe a nickname they thought was cute or something. The kind of thing that is handled with a conversation and distance." This is a solid step+ up from that.

Minimum I would do a formal write-up/PIP. I know you say the guys intentions weren't bad, which I just have to take your word for but I find it hard to believe that. If he truly is just a moron who didn't understand the words then there may be an opening here for a more restorative justice. Depending on how she is feeling, maybe talk to her on what outcomes she is looking for. She might welcome a lateral move somewhere else, she might not realize that there may be steps that can be taken with him that are between "keep away" and "you're fired". Again, I don't know the specifics but talking to her and seeing if she wants some agency on the next steps might be a good idea.

Finally, I'd ignore the freeze and everything else. If you think he needs to go, send him away, deal with the extra work. At the end of your career you won't remember the times you were short handed or had a good quarter or whatever, but you will absolutely remember the times you did the right thing and the times you didn't.

priznat posted:

Yeah I figured it would be a bad plan, just gotta be reactive then.

You be proactive by keeping open lines of communication, checking in frequently in general so they know they have a safe opportunity to talk (even if it's not something as "big" as harassment), and by generally keeping your eyes open because if something seems a little "off" there's a chance its because it is. This goes for all your employees.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Unrelated to harassment stuff, I'm still trying to figure out the good cadence for check ins on reports for status as occasionally our manager will ping them directly for status because of some immediate fire or status report he has to provide to the higher ups. My plan was wed/friday afternoons to start just as an informal reminder in my calendar and not a scheduled time to get a bit of an update on what's going on and go from there.

However today got pre-empted by the manager asking them directly status via a teams convo and I'm worried he's not trusting me being in the loop with what's going on. This is a special case as he had to do up a last minute status update for a customer so maybe I shouldn't feel like it's a big deal. My reports are really good at bringing any issues to me and I'm aware of what they're working on, although one of them can kind of get sidetracked and attempt to solve issues by himself when asking around would solve it way faster, which I facilitate pretty often. My manager does ask me for their status occasionally too and I keep him well informed with what's up.

I think I'll chalk it up to a bit of a crazy frenzy lately as things have been pretty nuts lately with customers etc.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I have to ask individuals all the time on statuses, its not because of a trust thing, it's because I need the immediacy, don't want the game of telephone, or maybe need specific information or a specific conversation that needs to be direct. So don't sweat that.

Do you do standups? Even 2-3x a week standups can go a long way. "Hey, Sally thing XYZ is due Friday, where you at with that? Any blockers or surprises?" Even if your not following Agile standups are pretty universally a positive, imo. Keep em short, try to focus on status update and blocker reports and cut off anything thats running long to be taken as a side conversation.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lockback posted:

I have to ask individuals all the time on statuses, its not because of a trust thing, it's because I need the immediacy, don't want the game of telephone, or maybe need specific information or a specific conversation that needs to be direct. So don't sweat that.

Do you do standups? Even 2-3x a week standups can go a long way. "Hey, Sally thing XYZ is due Friday, where you at with that? Any blockers or surprises?" Even if your not following Agile standups are pretty universally a positive, imo. Keep em short, try to focus on status update and blocker reports and cut off anything thats running long to be taken as a side conversation.

Yeah our standups are on monday, and that has the manager in it too so he's in the loop. My thinking was friday would be good so I am aware of anything going on before the monday one, and then a wednesday check in just so I can check priorities and re-orient etc.

Definitely agree with the game of telephone, best to short circuit that if you need some info now. He kept me in the loop when asking them about it so I think that's a good sign.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My actual boss messages me asking for specific status updates (what's the current status on [thing you were working on]) and it works very well because I know exactly what he's expecting/asking for and I can just lay it out for him and call it a day.

The person running my project on a day to day basis asks me for vague updates (how are things currently going, do you have any issues, etc) and I'm always like what do you want me to say? I can talk for an hour or can talk for 5 minutes, which version of updates are you asking for? It's just more annoying to me for some reason.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I'm curious if this thread thinks this post reflects well on the parties involved. Gonna take it at face value because it "seems" real.

Reddit Title: AE at CloudFlare records HR trying to fire her for "performance reasons". Definitely worth the length

My take: She got to light them up and gave a good effort at turning the discussion combative but to what end? If you want them to see you as a human, combative and attacking them aint gonna work. Also, lets assume its done in a one party consent state. Also sales person went 5 months with no sales it seems like by her own facts, seems like a long investment for a $100+k/year employee. The worst sales hire you can make is the person who goes on the attack when they miss predefined goals. (Not claiming there were any here.) Still, strangers by zoom is a heartless and impersonal way to cut staff.

EDIT: I should say I've never done enterprise sales tho. Maybe 5 months is totes normal.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 12, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The only reason that makes sense to try to fire someone "for performance reasons" rather than just a standard RIF is if you intend to try to deny their unemployment claim. So I guess it's possible in her specific case they think they can successfully do that. But if you're going to go that route there has be a PIP first and she said in the video that didn't happen.

Both sides come off totally clueless IMO, like they've never done this before. Probably true in her case, no excuse for it in the company reps' case.

The only right way to handle being laid off is "Everything from here forward is in writing" and end the conversation. The only right way to lay someone off is "Goon, I'm sorry, but for financial reasons have to let you go, best wishes for the future" and if they need to vent a while you listen to them but you don't say anything more beyond repeating "It sucks but we have to do it, sorry".

Impression from skimming some comments: it is amazing how almost everyone completely fails to understand what Human Resources' job actually is and how what they do serves their overlords' purposes.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 13, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

"I don't think you should want to fire me" never makes sense without other context, HR doesn't, like, get a commission for firing people. Now, if they're going to try to contest unemployment then yeah, they are stupid.

I do appreciate that she humanized what sounds like was a impersonal process and where HR was probably told to not call this a reduction/budget issue. So yeah, doesn't necessarily help anything for her cause but maybe someone with a loving heart will see this and understand that you can't put a veneer on this.

It really doesn't sound like this had anything to do with performance so this recording will help if they try to contest unemployment, but I doubt they will. I've had to let people go due to RIFs and A) The manager should loving be there and B) You tell people "This is a budget issue, we had to make tough decisions", not this BS.

So I am not sure what she thought to gain by this, but also this was clearly heartless and trying to cover up a staff sizing correction with performance is a bush league move.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Eric the Mauve posted:

Impression from skimming some comments: it is amazing how almost everyone completely fails to understand what Human Resources' job actually is and how what they do serves their overlords' purposes.

Yea reddit's understanding of business and employment law is particularly bad. Blusterous advice givers, proclaiming things that are true sometimes but completely untrue for 90% of people.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CarForumPoster posted:

I'm curious if this thread thinks this post reflects well on the parties involved. Gonna take it at face value because it "seems" real.

Reddit Title: AE at CloudFlare records HR trying to fire her for "performance reasons". Definitely worth the length

My take: She got to light them up and gave a good effort at turning the discussion combative but to what end? If you want them to see you as a human, combative and attacking them aint gonna work. Also, lets assume its done in a one party consent state. Also sales person went 5 months with no sales it seems like by her own facts, seems like a long investment for a $100+k/year employee. The worst sales hire you can make is the person who goes on the attack when they miss predefined goals. (Not claiming there were any here.) Still, strangers by zoom is a heartless and impersonal way to cut staff.

EDIT: I should say I've never done enterprise sales tho. Maybe 5 months is totes normal.

Not making a sale in 5 month doesn’t seem like a big deal to me here, obviously depending on what the role is she was put in. Kind of depends on what the expectations were.

There are bad ways to let people go and even worse ways and this was the latter. Strangers by zoom is impersonal and heartless but at least come with tighter messaging.

In the Reddit thread this comment stood out to me:

quote:

baloneysammich

8 hr. ago
the week before Christmas, similar situation I got a 15 minute meeting invite. I joined the meeting and nobody was there.

after sitting in an empty virtual meeting room for 5 minutes, I was forcibly logged out of slack and email.

and that's how I found out I was laid off. later that day i got an email to my personal email that said "as we discussed in the meeting, your employment at <blah> has come to an end".

Reminder #99999999 your company is owed the labour they pay for, nothing else, this is how companies treat people in 2024.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Not making a sale in 5 month doesn’t seem like a big deal to me here, obviously depending on what the role is she was put in. Kind of depends on what the expectations were.

There are bad ways to let people go and even worse ways and this was the latter. Strangers by zoom is impersonal and heartless but at least come with tighter messaging.

In the Reddit thread this comment stood out to me:

Reminder #99999999 your company is owed the labour they pay for, nothing else, this is how companies treat people in 2024.

I feel like the last couple years have been a wakeup call especially to people in tech about how companies can treat people. The whole Musk/Twitter saga was especially egregious in going out of their way to treat (ex)employees as lovely as possible for ??reasons??

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sundae posted:

For all I know, she's had a bad past experience and this is traumatizing. I don't get to assume she's overreacting because feelings aren't rational.)

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm not saying that dismissively; if there's trauma involved a person will simply perceive the same input data in a very very different way from other people. It's just how human minds work.

Sundae posted:

Lots of prying into her dating life, making recommendations about what she should do to attract men, expressing concern that she lives with her boyfriend because [para] "if he ends up not being the right guy, you're limiting your options because a lotta guys don't want second-hand goods." Stuff like that. The phrase "high value woman" (referring to her age/education/general appearance)

oh yeah it must be that the woman is an irrational traumatized person and not a regular person who is creeped the gently caress out by this rear end in a top hat.

i don't know how you think she's overreacting here

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Inept posted:

oh yeah it must be that the woman is an irrational traumatized person and not a regular person who is creeped the gently caress out by this rear end in a top hat.

I don't know how you read the three quoted posts and immediately jumped to the worst possible interpretation. All three were clearly saying "A said this and B wasn't happy with it, A doesn't know why, and the reason isn't necessarily going to make sense to A because humans aren't beep boop robots".

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

How I read both of the first two quotes is "maybe she's reacting this way because of trauma, who can be sure?" instead of just realizing that guy has a pattern of saying creepy poo poo and that would be anyone's reaction.

Saying it might be trauma when there's nothing to indicate that feels like a modern "the woman is hysterical".

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Inept posted:

Inept posted:

How I read both of the first two quotes is "maybe she's reacting this way because of trauma, who can be sure?" instead of just realizing that guy has a pattern of saying creepy poo poo and that would be anyone's reaction.

Saying it might be trauma when there's nothing to indicate that feels like a modern "the woman is hysterical".

Yeah dude, you completely misinterpreted that. My point was that other people don't get to project their feelings/assumptions onto the person who is feeling hurt. Maybe trauma. Maybe she just doesn't like it. Maybe the phase of the moon was aligned with her home planet and the astral portents made her feel sad that day. The point is that it doesn't matter, specifically in context of the witness's perspective that it wasn't a big deal. "For all I know, she's had a bad past experience and this is traumatizing" is casual chat on a dead gay forum humanizing / providing a potential reason why someone MIGHT react that way, not armchair psychiatry/Sherlock Holmesing someone's reasons for behavior.

Good to know that even in TYOOL 2024, we can always count on a random goon to come leaping in and make the absolute most asinine reading of a conversation possible.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'd think what I do as a manager would be par for the course, but I guess a lot of managers here suck. I'm feeling pretty good about the high review considering I was hesitant on managing people. Also, the high rating will bump my bonus up by about 5%.

If you wish to get a better idea about what "par for the course" is, examine this GBS thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957387&pagenumber=1

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

The only reason that makes sense to try to fire someone "for performance reasons" rather than just a standard RIF is if you intend to try to deny their unemployment claim.

Yep, this was the big thing that stood out to me as well, why are they even bringing performance up? I would have gotten my back up a bit as well on that, because in addition to unemployment it sounds like this might be impacting references, etc.

A rif should sound very different. And unfortunately I had to be the manager delivering that news way too often. Just "I'm sorry, we're having to make more cuts and this time it's you."

Man, this one time it went terribly because the guy who got it was in India for a couple weeks, wedding and whatnot. He gets wind that layoffs are happening, and gives me a call on my cell, the worst connection ever. I'm getting that echo of your own voice, static, fading in and out. He basically says "hey am I fired? I want to know cus I'll just stay here another month if I am". I'm like man I can barely hear you, this line is terrible, can you call me back, yada yada. He's like "dude, just loving tell me!"

And I just blurted out "....... Ok yah it's you".
"..... But hr wants to do the whole exit interview and debrief thing, sign some papers, can you come in when you get back?"
<click>

Yah, never heard from him again lol. And HR made sure to always sit with me after that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Re: Sundae workplace issue, it seems like there aren't any decisions that are both good and realistic, so the main priority should be for Sundae to avoid making them, or at least without getting approval from some other part of the company.

There's no way to 'win' this situation, but there are a lot of ways to lose.