Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Roman dodecahedrons are very real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I have been playing Bloodborne. Bloodborne is good. It is the first (non-Sekiro) Souls game where I have successfully learned to parry, and all the stage and monster design is as I would hope.

I genuinely don't understand From's approach to quest design, though. A boss dies, drops a cool item... and apparently I have missed out on a side quest because I immediately touched that item, instead of going to the other end of the world for no reason. I guess that's what NG+ with a guide is for.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I absolutely hate that kind of itemization and its sheer existence, perhaps even more than just straight-up gambling, just stands as a stark reminder of the frailty of the human brain, the meaninglessness of most games, and inserts the dark thought in the corner of my mind that every minute i spend playing games I am becoming a lesser and lesser person

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my house is managing to survive the hilariously awful canadian deep freeze but now i've gotta pony up for a humidifer because it's so goddamn dry that i still feel like i'm choking on sand after several glasses of water

any time i have to spend money on something that's not video games feels bad man

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Humidifiers are great, but they require a lot of upkeep to stop from getting nasty. My kingdom for a self cleaning humidifier!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Humidifiers are great, but they require a lot of upkeep to stop from getting nasty. My kingdom for a self cleaning humidifier!

i'm figuring that spending a couple bucks on vinegar every now and then is a lot better than spending a couple months every year in misery due to dry sinuses

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Meanwhile I have a DEhumidifier in my room… takes all kinds

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
i have both a humidifier AND a dehumidifier, I like watching machines fight

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the algorithm recommended me the geoguessr world finals and they're a loving blast to watch, both because of how impressive everyone's knowledge is and because of the very cute format they have (both players have a health bar that gets reduced based on the round multiplier and distance-based point differences)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The only humidifier I need is in my PC to keep all the parts from drying out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Reading all the GOTY lists in the main thread made me realize that a full Assassin's Creed game came out last year and barely registered for anyone.... that really was a franchise and game style that just completely run into the ground, huh

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was convinced it was a remake of the first game for months

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Reading all the GOTY lists in the main thread made me realize that a full Assassin's Creed game came out last year and barely registered for anyone.... that really was a franchise and game style that just completely run into the ground, huh

It's almost like it was a

Mirage

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

I know we're all having fun mocking suicide squad here but let's not say anything we might regret.

Yes, the picture is a joke, but the joke is that it very well could be real.

i wish i knew who originally came up with "krangled" it's so good

speaking of ARPGs i have picked up Last Epoch and hey it's pretty good so far

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 13, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
drake_no: alan wake 2 messing up NG+ unlock resets so a certain collection is not completable

drake_yes: alan wake 2 giving me the trophy for finishing it anyway because I did get all the items across both playthroughs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Darkest dungeon 2 came out in 2023 and didn’t really make a splash

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

darkest dungeon feels like one of those games where if you like it, you like it, and if you hate it, you really hate it, so a sequel's not really gonna make a splash amongst anyone other than the faithful

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Vermain posted:

darkest dungeon feels like one of those games where if you like it, you like it, and if you hate it, you really hate it, so a sequel's not really gonna make a splash amongst anyone other than the faithful

I'm someone who really dug Darkest Dungeon and I didn't care about the sequel at all.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

The magical power of EGS releases!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Chev posted:

The magical power of EGS releases!
This is the main culprit but it didn't help that when it first hit early access, it didn't feel like a Darkest Dungeon game but rather some other game with a Darkest Dungeon skin on it. I'd sooner believe DD2 was the prequel to DD1 than the sequel, really.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was a bit of an odd one in that it was originally intended as dlc for valhalla but expanded but is also a bit of a throwback to the og ac games in terms of gameplay?? But yeah assassin's creed is kinda dead atm

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vermain posted:

my house is managing to survive the hilariously awful canadian deep freeze but now i've gotta pony up for a humidifer because it's so goddamn dry that i still feel like i'm choking on sand after several glasses of water

any time i have to spend money on something that's not video games feels bad man
If you haven't bought one yet, I recommend this one, currently on sale. I've had a variety of humidifiers in my life and this one both is by far the most effective, powerful, easiest to clean, and easiest to refill(just fill the tank in the sink/tub, screw lid on tight, slot back into humidifier like you're replacing a power cell in a video game!!!!). the unit is relatively quiet and also has some dim lighting that gently fades in and out when it has run out of water until you refill the tanks, which is a neat feature. The entire thing can come apart into sections for individual cleaning when necessary, and filters are easily replaced and can be found for decently cheap from third party manufacturers, usually around 4-5 bucks a filter which will last you a while.

it's a little expensive but it's very effective and well made. my dad has had one for many years and swears by it, and I'm on year two of mine.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Vermain posted:

the algorithm recommended me the geoguessr world finals and they're a loving blast to watch, both because of how impressive everyone's knowledge is and because of the very cute format they have (both players have a health bar that gets reduced based on the round multiplier and distance-based point differences)
I clicked the link out of curiosity and got sucked in right away. It's hard not to be impressed by this!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I like that one commentator is much better than the other, and that the rounds are quick and snappy. But the panel is an instant skip.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It wasn't really a 'full' ac game, it was a purposefully stripped down version that's shorter and a lot more like the original games, with a focus on stealth and fun tools and systems to figure out the best way to proceed. Also no more dumb rpg mechanics and much less straight up combat focus like origin and odyssey. I absolutely hated odyssey, worst ac game by far.

It was really good, honestly. Probably my favorite ever, although I barely remember playing one and two, maybe those were better. Story was bad but that's not why those games were ever fun, they really should lean more into systems and immersive sim style stuff, and away from insane bloat and grind, feels like mirage was definitely a step in the right direction. Although knowing ubisoft they'll probably manage to take the exact wrong lesson somehow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah they'll go back to making good ones like Odyssey

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I just tried the demo for the new Prince of Persia (a Ubisoft Original), and it's good?!

Fluid responsive controls, good artstyle and doesn't seem bogged down by GaaS garbage.
Would have been a really solid 20 dollar purchase. Unfortunately they're charging full price?

Oh well, probably goes on sale in a couple of months.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Inshallah

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The next AC game is in Edo period Japan which seems like a game they should have made 10 years ago or at least before Ghost of Tsushima came out but nevermind

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

When are they gonna reboot Splinter Cell as an Assassin's Creed franchise spinoff?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

mutata posted:

When are they gonna reboot Splinter Cell

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Strawberry Panda posted:

I'm someone who really dug Darkest Dungeon and I didn't care about the sequel at all.

Yeah :same:, I liked building up my hamlet and my team slowly over many hours rather than just over one run.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I have been playing Bloodborne. Bloodborne is good. It is the first (non-Sekiro) Souls game where I have successfully learned to parry, and all the stage and monster design is as I would hope.

As usual for a fromsoft game, Skill increases parry damage. If you're real good with them, it's a major advantage on some bosses.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I genuinely don't understand From's approach to quest design, though. A boss dies, drops a cool item... and apparently I have missed out on a side quest because I immediately touched that item, instead of going to the other end of the world for no reason. I guess that's what NG+ with a guide is for.

The timing windows on most quests are generous. It's just that the game refuses to explain any of it's quests (pejorative).

For instance, without any guidance, the most likely place a first time player is to find the most iconic and beloved character of the game is after she's had a mental break and become an optional boss, which is the bad ending of her quest line.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Sakurazuka posted:

You're thinking of Super Mario games.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

If you haven't bought one yet, I recommend this one, currently on sale.

sadly already purchased one to be shipped, but i appreciate the suggestion; if this one burns out, i'll put in a bit more cash and buy that one next

Jokymi posted:

I clicked the link out of curiosity and got sucked in right away. It's hard not to be impressed by this!

the format actually makes it really exciting, too, since it's possible to hold on for multiple rounds by a hair and come swinging back on a big modifier. i'll definitely watch it again this year if they decide to hold the tournament again

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbfKTaW3_ZI

Tabletop-inspired Touhou RPG announced for this year, looks neat

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I tried out the Prince of Persia demo. On one hand, discovering it was apparently more Metroidvania/Hollow Knight-like was a neat surprise and gameplay felt good, an in game screenshot of places you can't go without upgrades was a nice idea.. And it was interesting they were at least going for a more Persian look that the sorta-Arabian Nights of the more famous trilogy.

On the other hand both the UI and constant ads screamed Ubisoft so much it turned me off getting the game. Like jesus felt it was gonna pop a crafting menu and the constant ads to get the Deluxe edition with a map with secrets on a loving Metroidvanialike and the fact to boot up the game you have to try to connect to an UPlay account before it lets you skip it. gently caress off Ubisoft.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Vido Games keep me going.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I tried out the Prince of Persia demo. On one hand, discovering it was apparently more Metroidvania/Hollow Knight-like was a neat surprise and gameplay felt good, an in game screenshot of places you can't go without upgrades was a nice idea.. And it was interesting they were at least going for a more Persian look that the sorta-Arabian Nights of the more famous trilogy.

On the other hand both the UI and constant ads screamed Ubisoft so much it turned me off getting the game. Like jesus felt it was gonna pop a crafting menu and the constant ads to get the Deluxe edition with a map with secrets on a loving Metroidvanialike and the fact to boot up the game you have to try to connect to an UPlay account before it lets you skip it. gently caress off Ubisoft.

Came here to complain On The Internet about the Ubisoft account thing I almost forgot existed since it's been so long since I played an Ubi game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I def need to get off my rear end and figure out a Games Played tracker that works for me for the 2024 GOTY thread.

Goggledocs'll probably do it