Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So the two pronged approach of "so where did the billion come from? Uh, my buddy, you don't know him, he's in Canada. Also he doesn't have a name so you can't look him up" and "as long as we have enough crime we'll hopefully look legitimate" which is pretty goddamn hilarious and amazing if I'm honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Boxturret posted:

Every tether is fully backed by a dollar.

sick dollar bro can I see it

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Tether basically reinvented fractional reserve banking but don't ask them for proof of reserves or liquidity or any number of things that regulated banks have to demonstrate regularly to stay in business.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not by all appearances, there was supposedly some mention of giving it a second look that the china watchers took as an immediate total backtrack and the official who proposed it being disappeared and sent to the gulag, with zero proof as far as anyone has seen.

but they had *five* anonymous sources

five!!!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My accounts summary stating "cash like instruments" is generating a lot of questions already answered by my accounts summary stating "cash like instruments."

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
tether ceo caught buying a game of monopoly, a photocopier, and reams upon reams of coloured paper

Missing Fox
Apr 19, 2015

Boxturret posted:

They keep that dollar locked in their desk drawer.

When tether fails, everyone can claim one billionth of a one dollar bill.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
you can buy legally distinct playmoney that can be used with MonopolyTM, no need to keep buying whole sets.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Tether is the 2008 mortgage crisis on all the steroids and HGH

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

kw0134 posted:

Tether basically reinvented fractional reserve banking but don't ask them for proof of reserves or liquidity or any number of things that regulated banks have to demonstrate regularly to stay in business.

You don’t need to ask, it’s crimes all the way down. Everyone involved with crypto is cool with it anyway.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I don't understand why anyone bothered with algorithmic stable coin when you could just lie about them being backed with cash.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

stab posted:

I wouldn't think so? There was a huge portion of the market tied up in investment in mortgage funds or their derivatives. That doesn't seem to be happening w/ cryptocurrencies.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxturret posted:

LOL this one took me a minute

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Ah gently caress, that's who I thought. That's unfortunate.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

stab posted:

Not really, there's like $85 billion tied up in Tether but the impact of the GFC was measured in trillions.

Also only a tiny subset of economic activity has exposure to Tether (and a lot of that is illegal) whereas anyone who ever dealt with a bank was exposed to the GFC to some extent.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"$85" billion is also a laughably unsupported number and the impact is the cratering of the "valuation" of a bunch of internet pogs that generate no economic activity. It's going to be a complete non-event for all the chatter about crypto.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not gonna be any regulatory action on crypto as long it's the new favourite toy of a lot of rich people. Flipside is once rich people start losing a lot of money in it, the law will move fast.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Hmm I should google before posting

exmachina fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 13, 2024

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Lammasu posted:

I don't understand why anyone bothered with algorithmic stable coin when you could just lie about them being backed with cash.

"Read the white paper" is apparently an effective advertisement to a chunk of technophiles with cash to burn. Lets them feel self-educated and therefore deserving of a reward, not just some sucker trying to get rich quick.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not gonna be any regulatory action on crypto as long it's the new favourite toy of a lot of rich people. Flipside is once rich people start losing a lot of money in it, the law will move fast.

This was kinda true pre FTX. Now, the SEC is involved in major lawsuits against Coinbase, Binance, and Kraken and is asserting that many tokens are securities.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

My mother in law's friend with early dementia just put twelve $100 bills into a Bitcoin ATM and I guess then transferred it to who knows where.

:sigh:

E: OMG, I was wrong, it was 120 $100 bills.

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 16, 2024

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

that must take some dedication

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

cruft posted:

My mother in law's friend with early dementia just put twelve $100 bills into a Bitcoin ATM and I guess then transferred it to who knows where.

I know people tend to mind their own business, but if an old person were standing in front of a Bitcoin ATM just shoveling in hundos, I think I'd at least ask if they're alright around the 60th bill, just as a courtesy.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what about the bank if she withdrew it from them? arent they suppose to make note of any large transactions?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Sure but it's still her money, it's hard to borderline illegal to just deny someone access to their money.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ranbo das posted:

Sure but it's still her money, it's hard to borderline illegal to just deny someone access to their money.

Didn't seem to bother the Canadian PM...?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

what about the bank if she withdrew it from them? arent they suppose to make note of any large transactions?

The person running the scam is coaching the mark on what to say so that the bank doesn't catch on that you plan on paying the IRS through the bitcoin ATM. They might have told the mark that they're helping them out under the table and it's all very secret.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Most banks now have a program to try to catch the elderly being fleeced but the scammers try to counter it with plausible stories to feed to the suspicious people who really want to make sure they don't end up in front of a camera from the local ABC affiliate asking why the bank didn't stop grandma Jane from emptying her account. Also CTR (cash transaction reports) are filed but don't mean the transaction is stopped per se, only that it's reported to the department that handles Bank Secrecy Act compliance, who forwards it to places like OFAC and elsewhere.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the money's still there, you just have to break open the weak, fragile vending machine

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

cruft posted:

Jesus Christ - maybe consider calling the police?

Last year some poor woman left me a voicemail trying to reach some guy named "Chris" who had apparently been spoofing my phone number, and ran some kind of scam on her. When I called her back she sounded freaked out, and said she was thinking of calling the police, probably because she still suspected I was in league with the scammer. When I strongly encouraged her to follow up with the police, and told her I would be happy to verify that my phone number had definitely not been used to contact her, I think it really sank in for her that she had been scammed. I hope she followed up with the authorities in some way, but I never heard anything else about it. :(

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've got some more information. Apparently it was Apple tech support who called her, actually. So it's probably legit, I saw on the Internet that Apple tech support needs $12k money transfers all the time.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

That's heartbreaking. When I was getting money for a rental deposit a couple years ago at a branch of my bank I'd never used before, I got questioned/lectured for the first time about online scams, though they quickly dropped it when I told them it was for housing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cruft posted:

I've got some more information. Apparently it was Apple tech support who called her, actually. So it's probably legit, I saw on the Internet that Apple tech support needs $12k money transfers all the time.

poo poo what the hell did the even tell them would need $12k for? top end laptops are like $3k at most. I mean that's why Gov/tax office are more popular scams as at least there's plausible reasons why you might owe the government 12 grand.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

A common one is the refund scam.

There is variety in the setup, but it boils down to "Oh no, I refunded you $12,000 instead of $12. I'm going to lose my job and you are probably going to go to jail if we can't find a way to fix this."

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
For a few years I had a job at Walmart selling money orders and wiring money. A large portion of my job was telling people they were being scammed and getting yelled at because they think I’m lying.

Like nobody finds it odd that the fbi is demanding payment in prepaid visa gift cards or that the dog they ordered from Senegal is being held hostage at an airport that’s demanding more money.

GentleReject
Jan 16, 2024

Lammasu posted:

A few stablecoins, like USDC, are backed by attestation reports performed by accounting/audit firms. Just a note that you can find them online and signed off on similarly to any other attestations of asset-backed stuff.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

nomad2020 posted:

A common one is the refund scam.

There is variety in the setup, but it boils down to "Oh no, I refunded you $12,000 instead of $12. I'm going to lose my job and you are probably going to go to jail if we can't find a way to fix this."

I too have watched The Beekeeper.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

If I recall he posted some "apology" or "explanation" for why his usage of the n-word and japanese slurs were "totally not racist guys" and taken out of cultural context or some bullshit of that nature. Naturally the community bought it, forgave him, and canonized him as divine figure of hardline gaming jounalism.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

GentleReject posted:

A few stablecoins, like USDC, are backed by attestation reports performed by accounting/audit firms. Just a note that you can find them online and signed off on similarly to any other attestations of asset-backed stuff.

Last I heard those attestations amounted to something like "we attest that the managers of USDC showed us a document stating they pinky-promise all the money is definitely exactly where they say it is"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Last I heard those attestations amounted to something like "we attest that the managers of USDC showed us a document stating they pinky-promise all the money is definitely exactly where they say it is"

Someone around here, I think maybe in the Trump thread in relation to his cooked books, explained the differences in these things, and yeah there's like different levels of this stuff. One where they methodically go through and actually do their own work and audit and account for all things and sign off on it, and another where they basically just check the math you give them and attest that it all looks correct but don't really dig any deeper, and this is probably the latter. It gives them a veneer of legitimacy to casuals and lay people who don't know any better, while not really meaning much beyond that. Or something.