Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MrMojok posted:

Absolutely serious post here, and I ask this because I feel like I can’t trust the stories put out by either side.

Is the border crisis under this administration really a thing? I could have sworn I saw someone ITT recently saying that it absolutely was, but I can’t recall who, or if I’m even remembering the right thread.

What is the real story here?

I am not an expert, but from what I can remember the only "crisis" is that the GOP has legislated their way into one by cutting off all the normal means of immigration. So the "illegal" migrants are almost entirely those who couldn't go through the normal (but now inaccessible) paperwork process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Wouldn't getting called up for federal service actually be better for them? I thought I remembered hearing that the Guard gets hosed over in a bunch of ways when on state duty, especially in Texas where Abbot's been calling them up for extra long extended border duty.

Didn’t they not get payed last time he did this poo poo?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wouldn't getting called up for federal service actually be better for them? I thought I remembered hearing that the Guard gets hosed over in a bunch of ways when on state duty, especially in Texas where Abbot's been calling them up for extra long extended border duty.

It would. If they get called up their pay and supply situation falls under the DoD, not the State of Texas, and the abuses they've previously suffered on earlier Texas border call-ups likely would no longer be plaguing them.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

On one hand yes, better bennies. On the other hand they didn't enlist to be full time and have other lives. So its tremendously unfair to them to be jerked around in a pissing match between the state and fed governments

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Flikken posted:

On one hand yes, better bennies. On the other hand they didn't enlist to be full time and have other lives. So its tremendously unfair to them to be jerked around in a pissing match between the state and fed governments

One thing that came out of the previous state border call-ups is that their lives were just as disrupted as if they were subject to a federal call up. Even though they were closer to home, they were still sick at their assigned areas.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 13, 2024

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

A.o.D. posted:

One think that came out of the previous state border call-ups is that their lives were just as disrupted as if they were subject to a federal call up. Even though they were closer to home, they were still sick at their assigned areas.

I'm advocating for them to be left the gently caress alone.

Edit: somehow get the Pentagon to enforce some sort of dwell time rules onto the states.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Flikken posted:

I'm advocating for them to be left the gently caress alone.

Edit: somehow get the Pentagon to enforce some sort of dwell time rules onto the states.

No argument there. I was just trying to point out that a Federal call up wouldn't necessarily be worse than a state one, especially given the poo poo show the earlier border deployments turned out to be.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Absolutely serious post here, and I ask this because I feel like I can’t trust the stories put out by either side.

Is the border crisis under this administration really a thing? I could have sworn I saw someone ITT recently saying that it absolutely was, but I can’t recall who, or if I’m even remembering the right thread.

There's two things going on here and the right has managed to get everyone to believe they're the same.

Most of the migrants are following the legal process to claim asylum in the US, which involves surrendering to a CPB officer at a port of entry, being processed in an immigration facility, receiving a court date to hear their case, and then being released to stay in the US until their case is decided.

Trump deliberately hamstrung the process by under-resourcing the agencies responsible for processing asylum seekers, failing to back-fill immigration judges, and doing crazy poo poo like child separations.

The Biden administration has continued some of these policies and rolled back others. It could be doing more, but the situation isn't inherently different than it was under Trump.

The second thing is illegal immigration, which has always ebbed and flowed according to the season (many people immigrate illegally from Mexico to harvest crops and then return home after) and the economic strife in Latin America. Republicans want everyone to believe that ALL of the migrants are crossing the border illegally, but the rate of illegal immigration has largely held steady over time.

What's also not helping is that the right wing has also managed to convince many on the left that the situation is about illegal immigration, when it's not. It's about legal immigration using the asylum system.

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 13, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thanks for this explanation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Adam Ruins Everything covered a lot of the 'crisis' and how its bullshit during their episode on the Wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wk6rswxQro

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MrMojok posted:

Remember all that “employee shortage” bullshit as American employees realized they had the leverage to make some demands about wages and working conditions but our glorious job creators cried to the media about their margins? It turns out that a white hot labor market attracts people from outside the country too, and when the last few decades of US foreign policy have systematically undermined stability in Central America, an influx of immigrants willing to take the risk of undocumented migration or claiming asylum is the natural conclusion.

As always, the only way to do anything about this is to address the root cause - meaningfully penalize the people fraudulently hiring people. This would of course crash profits in agriculture, construction, and a few other sectors, and maybe even bankrupt or imprison some business owners, so everyone quietly pretends it isn’t an option. And the raging racism on the right means that normalizing the level of migration that we need for ongoing growth is also off the table. The only option left is getting angry at the most vulnerable people around for trying to feed their families, and upending their lives in every way possible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Remember all that “employee shortage” bullshit as American employees realized they had the leverage to make some demands about wages and working conditions but our glorious job creators cried to the media about their margins? It turns out that a white hot labor market attracts people from outside the country too, and when the last few decades of US foreign policy have systematically undermined stability in Central America, an influx of immigrants willing to take the risk of undocumented migration or claiming asylum is the natural conclusion.

As always, the only way to do anything about this is to address the root cause - meaningfully penalize the people fraudulently hiring people. This would of course crash profits in agriculture, construction, and a few other sectors, and maybe even bankrupt or imprison some business owners, so everyone quietly pretends it isn’t an option. And the raging racism on the right means that normalizing the level of migration that we need for ongoing growth is also off the table. The only option left is getting angry at the most vulnerable people around for trying to feed their families, and upending their lives in every way possible.

Well and a large part is seasonal workers too that used to come and stay or a season then return. Anti-immigration laws have made it impossible for them to come and go.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 13, 2024

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CommieGIR posted:

Well and a large part is seasonal workers too that used to come and stay or a season then return. Anti-immigration laws have made it impossible for them to come and go.

70 years ago my grandpa would work a season in WA/OR/CA and then turn themselves in to for a free ride to the border.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Nah, the way to fix it is to open up simple legal means for both permanent and seasonal immigration. No need to try to do weird things with labor laws or trying to punish anyone at all.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Open up the borders entirely. Let people come and go as they please.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

Open up the borders entirely. Let people come and go as they please.

I'm not quite there. I think there needs to be some vetting in terms of background checks, and customs control is also necessary, but I do believe that the bar anyone has to clear to get permanent entry to the country is to say "yes" to the question "Do you want to become an American?"

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

A.o.D. posted:

No argument there. I was just trying to point out that a Federal call up wouldn't necessarily be worse than a state one, especially given the poo poo show the earlier border deployments turned out to be.

I mean, this is what Eisenhower did with the Little Rock Central High School stuff in the 50's. The governor of Arkansas had called the Guard to secure the high school and prevent the black students from going in, and Eisenhower federalized them and had them guard the students going in instead.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

One thing that came out of the previous state border call-ups is that their lives were just as disrupted as if they were subject to a federal call up. Even though they were closer to home, they were still sick at their assigned areas.

Note that since it’s a state wide deployment odds are that Alaska is effectively as far from home as the border is for many. It’s really hard to undersell how loving big Texas is.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Note that since it’s a state wide deployment odds are that Alaska is effectively as far from home as the border is for many. It’s really hard to undersell how loving big Texas is.

The character of your call up matters, too. If you're effectively on lock down and you don't have any access to personal communication devices, it doesn't matter if you're on duty down the street from where you live or on Phobos. You won't have access to civilian amenities or the ability to communicate with loved ones.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

It's really not as big as they claim. It's the same as that dude that constantly has to let everyone know how big their dick is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MonkeyFit posted:

It's really not as big as they claim. It's the same as that dude that constantly has to let everyone know how big their dick is.

Yeah, Alaska laughs at them but El Paso to Houston being a 12 hour drive is nuts.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, Alaska laughs at them but El Paso to Houston being a 12 hour drive is nuts.

those are rookie numbers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s deceptive because it’s east–west and a whole lot of nothing, but it’s basically the same time/distance as Philadelphia to Jacksonville.

Or, put another way, on a drive from Jacksonville to San Diego, one third of the way in, you will be in Texas. Two‐thirds of the way in, you are still in Texas.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!
I drove that east/west drive from El Paso and it was quite possibly one of the most boring drives of my life. Nothing to look at.

I'm sure there's scenic parts of Texas but I didn't see any driving from one side of the state to the other.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

tbf 12 hours of absolutely nothing is a big improvement vs. 12 hours of uninterrupted corn

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

HOLY poo poo WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WE MADE IT TO WHEAT COUNTRY!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I would still rather do the AK drive.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 13, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alaska also requires entering another country!

I think the only other states where you’d do that to max out drive distances are Washington and Minnesota?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
ive done this drive punctuated by a 4 hour nap a couple times

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

And a ferry

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I think the only other states where you’d do that to max out drive distances are Washington and Minnesota?

AK still wins if we skip Canada.

I don't think you can drive 1,000 miles point to point in any other state.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AK still wins if we skip Canada.

I don't think you can drive 1,000 miles point to point in any other state.

Smith River CA to Winterhaven CA is just over 1k. But that really is just about it for the rest of the US.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've done Portland to Anchorage twice, and Anchorage to Prudhoe once, loved it every time.

CA north/south is boring as poo poo except for the last few hours of the north end

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Interstates in the US being mostly toll free is a blessing that I only realized after I moved to a country where all the highways are toll roads.

Over here in Japan, driving Tokyo to Osaka is about 500km (300 miles) and takes 6 hours, give or take, but it costs 9k yen (~60 USD) just in tolls. Sure, there are plenty of public transport options between cities, but if you want to do something like drive a couple hours away to some tourist attraction for a day trip, those tolls end up being the majority of the cost.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If those tolls incentivize people to take transport over driving, that's a good thing.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
They do, and it is a good thing, but it still hurts a bit when you just want to take a 90 minute drive away from the city to see the mountains for a day and it ends up costing almost $20 one way.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah man don't you realize taking a country drive isn't good policy?!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Abbott: ‘We’re not shooting people’ who cross the border because feds ‘would charge us with murder’

Yeah, that’s what you should expect if you commit murder. :dafuq:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Yeah man don't you realize taking a country drive isn't good policy?!

....it's really not. Everything from making the car to drilling and refining the gas to building the road are things that have negative externalities that people should pay for especially when it's a leisure activity. A country drive is a luxury and should be priced as one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mapchat is a fun derail