Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Was he born in Ireland? Does he have Irish citizenship or residence status? Does he live there?
part of the irish national character is a "special affinity" for the irish diaspora. it's in their constitution

https://gjia.georgetown.edu/2021/02/02/ireland-and-america-a-special-affinity/

you might be thinking of the french
the french will meet a french-speaking child of french parents in a former french colony called French Noveau-Bourgogne Dijon Escargot and be utterly bewildered that this rear end in a top hat thinks he's french

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Sunk Dunk posted:

Did anyone watch the master of horror series on showtime? Any recommendations for good episodes?
Cigarette Burns

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cubone posted:

Cigarette Burns

This. I'd say Jennifer is pretty good if very weird, and not a great showcase of Argento's skills but decent for what it is. MoH was a very very uneven series and the hour time limit is neat, but ultimately kinda hurts most of the films.

Cigarette Burns easily could have had a half hour tacked on and been all the better for it, and it still rules at only an hour.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Stuart Gordon’s Dreams in the Witch House was pretty fun.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Napoleon sucked poo poo. Couldn't get through half of it.

Ballad of Buster Scruggs rewatch though, fantstic. A wonderful little Coen bros sampler platter.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Napoleon was great. Horny Napoleon *nom nom nom nom nom* was the best thing I’ve seen on the silver screen all year.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Did he ever get his chapstick though?

SloppyMoe
Jan 13, 2024
https://www.deadline.com/2024/01/peter-crombie-dead-seinfeld-cast-favorite-crazy-joe-davola-was-71-obituary-1235731850/

Actor Peter Crombie, who played Crazy Joe Davola on the TV show Seinfeld is no longer living.

SloppyMoe fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 13, 2024

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sunk Dunk posted:

Did anyone watch the master of horror series on showtime? Any recommendations for good episodes?

My recommendation is don't watch it. It felt like every director was trying to make low-budget feature films instead of short horror films.

Cigarette Burns was ok I guess, but it still wanted to be an actual movie.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Cubone posted:

part of the irish national character is a "special affinity" for the irish diaspora. it's in their constitution

https://gjia.georgetown.edu/2021/02/02/ireland-and-america-a-special-affinity/

you might be thinking of the french
the french will meet a french-speaking child of french parents in a former french colony called French Noveau-Bourgogne Dijon Escargot and be utterly bewildered that this rear end in a top hat thinks he's french

Ireland finds the USA useful with regard to Northern Ireland. But every Irish person I know hates self proclaimed 'Irish' Americans.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 13, 2024

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

Sunk Dunk posted:

cigarette burns is the best. i'm also fond of both stuart gordon's episodes, dreams in the witch house and the black cat. the screwfly solution is another one that has kind of stuck with me

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

There are six commonly expressed nationalities in America. White, Asian, Mexican, African, the first, and Irish. Expressing like this in other nations makes you sound turbo racist

Cubone
May 26, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

There are six commonly expressed nationalities in America. White, Asian, Mexican, African, the first, and Irish. Expressing like this in other nations makes you sound turbo racist
that's not what the word nationality means

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Cubone posted:

that's not what the word nationality means

We know that you know and why you're still calling Americans Irish

Cubone
May 26, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

We know that you know and why you're still calling Americans Irish
I think you're reading more into my comments than is actually there

I don't even know what argument you're imagining me to be on the other side of

d00kiemastah
Jun 11, 2006
An afro is the symbol of a man.

mysterious frankie posted:

I don’t know how to feel about the last episode of The Curse. I enjoyed watching it as a thing unto itself, but it sort of felt like a ripoff. Almost like it ended with all the main characters having a shared dream that meant different things to each person, or something, which is fine, but I got no goddamn closure. I dunno. Maybe I’ll love it, or at least get it, later.

I had a similar experience of really enjoying it moment by moment, but in retrospect I think it could’ve accomplished exactly as much with something like half the episodes. I feel like I can articulate the anxieties that are being shown (very interestingly) scene by scene, but I certainly don’t have a better reckoning of the season as a whole than yours.

Earlier I was talking to a friend about how much I’m enjoying the new season of Fargo, but I just watched Miller’s Crossing yesterday for the first time since I was 20, and there’s just nothing close to the same level of quality and purity of statement. I don’t dislike TV as a medium, but it seems like no ten hour series is ever going to be able to be as perfect as a two hour movie. I think The Curse wouldn’t feel like a rip-off character-wise if it wasn’t such a time investment

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

I've come around and am now pro-Danzig

This but ironically

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

d00kiemastah posted:

I had a similar experience of really enjoying it moment by moment, but in retrospect I think it could’ve accomplished exactly as much with something like half the episodes. I feel like I can articulate the anxieties that are being shown (very interestingly) scene by scene, but I certainly don’t have a better reckoning of the season as a whole than yours.

Earlier I was talking to a friend about how much I’m enjoying the new season of Fargo, but I just watched Miller’s Crossing yesterday for the first time since I was 20, and there’s just nothing close to the same level of quality and purity of statement. I don’t dislike TV as a medium, but it seems like no ten hour series is ever going to be able to be as perfect as a two hour movie. I think The Curse wouldn’t feel like a rip-off character-wise if it wasn’t such a time investment

true detective season 1 comes to mind. I feel like that story needed every episode to be told, no more and no less. that's literally the only one I can think of

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Sunk Dunk posted:

I think Masters of Horror is a solid watch for horror fans, but in addition to factoring in the limits of being a cable TV show at the time, it's absolutely worth noting that the quality varies WILDLY. Horror is my favorite film genre and I almost gave up on the show four episodes in because it seemed like a downhill slide. I actually HATE the episode "Jenifer" with a passion, that was nearly the breaking point. (Not teasing the poster who mentioned it before, because the episode is spoken of highly and comes up high on rankings of all the episodes. It's just baffling to me.)

The series picks up after that, and a lot of my favorite episodes are in the back half of season one. It's an anthology, so you can skip around freely. It's fine to start with episodes by directors/actors you like, etc. My personal favorites (in order of series appearance) are:
-Cigarette Burns (John Carpenter)
-Sick Girl (Lucky McKee and Angela Bettis of May together again, probably my overall fave)
-Pick Me Up (Larry Cohen)
-Imprint (Takashi Miike, the episode Showtime refused to air)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Speaking of True Detective, anyone excited for Season 4? I think it could be cool. The concept of arctic nights has always filled me with uneasiness. I don't usually consider myself afraid of the dark but a few weeks or months of it seems hosed up. Especially if murders are involved.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’ve heard season four is gonna be great and I believe it. But I’m one of the sick freaks who liked seasons 2 and 3

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
True Detective Season 2 is a mess, but I feel like it would have gotten more appreciation for the moments of pulpy insanity if it wasn't the follow-up to one of the best single seasons of a TV show ever. Colin Farrell beating the poo poo out of a bully's dad on his own front porch is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xIZVMJjvHQ

"Twelve years old my rear end. gently caress. YOU."

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my local alamo did an advance screening of the first episode of season 4 recently, which I unfortunately could not make :(

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Marvel's What If has inspired Disney to start making a Star Wars What If? series.

What if Palpatine loving stayed dead this time?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Crescent Wrench posted:

True Detective Season 2 is a mess, but I feel like it would have gotten more appreciation for the moments of pulpy insanity if it wasn't the follow-up to one of the best single seasons of a TV show ever. Colin Farrell beating the poo poo out of a bully's dad on his own front porch is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xIZVMJjvHQ

"Twelve years old my rear end. gently caress. YOU."

:agreed: 100% on everything you said

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

poisonpill posted:

:agreed: 100% on everything you said

Also every attempted one-liner out of Vince Vaughn's mouth.

"It's like I got blue balls... in my heaaart!"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the td s2 vince memes were so good

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

d00kiemastah posted:

I generally agree that shows go on too long, and a lot of good modern shows in the past would have been phenomenal movies instead, but I wonder if this would have been one of the few exceptions to that rule? It’s was trying to take on so many big ideas in such a short timeframe and ended up feeling abridged as a result.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I take it the allegations of plagiarism in season 1 didn’t lead to much given that Pizzolatto remained involved in every season (though it looks like he didn’t write season 4).

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Sunk Dunk posted:

2 that haven't been mentioned yet that I enjoyed are The V Word and Haeckel's Tale. And as others have said , Cigarette Burns is the peak of the series.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

How could you hate this

E: I am saying this unironically. I love it

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I take it the allegations of plagiarism in season 1 didn’t lead to much given that Pizzolatto remained involved in every season (though it looks like he didn’t write season 4).

Didn’t he just lift some of the lines in one of Rust Cohle’s speeches from a non fiction book about nihilism written by Thomas Ligotti?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Didn’t he just lift some of the lines in one of Rust Cohle’s speeches from a non fiction book about nihilism written by Thomas Ligotti?

Did Rust upset a hedge fund billionaire or something? They were good speeches!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

That and I think the final scene, the set up and dialog. Maybe more, I never looked into it too deeply

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

poisonpill posted:

How could you hate this

E: I am saying this unironically. I love it

Lol. Season 2 was entertaining imo.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What happened to Aquaman Part II, did anyone see it? Was it better than the original?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Outpost22 posted:

What happened to Aquaman Part II, did anyone see it? Was it better than the original?

No and no

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

But it features the glorious Amber heard in a career best performance

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
watched e1 of The Curse finally last night and I really, really did not expect Corbin Bernsen in that role lmao. I thought he went full crazy Christian movies only after Psych

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

-Cigarette Burns (John Carpenter)
-Sick Girl (Lucky McKee and Angela Bettis of May together again, probably my overall fave)
-Pick Me Up (Larry Cohen)
-Imprint (Takashi Miike, the episode Showtime refused to air)

V good list. The Miike episode is loving wild