Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Part of the problem is Myanmar and the Congo aren’t receiving billions in military hardware from the US government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

for better or worse (its worse), american dollars and the agreements we (USA sorry) make with the rest of the world do matter

would Ukraine still exist without the USA? probably not

would Israel still exist without the USA? probably not

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

goatsestretchgoals posted:

would Israel still exist without the USA? probably not

Ehhhh this is hard to say. Arab states have tried on a few occasions and proved themselves usually incompetent. US support only really ramped up in the 70s I thought.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Ehhhh this is hard to say. Arab states have tried on a few occasions and proved themselves usually incompetent. US support only really ramped up in the 70s I thought.

What’s stopping Arab countries from indirect lobbying by threatening to purchase weapons from Europe instead of the US? Is US defense aid to Israel cash flow way greater than that of Arab states that Raytheon et al won’t directly complain to the US government when purchases stop?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Suicide Watch posted:

What’s stopping Arab countries from indirect lobbying by threatening to purchase weapons from Europe instead of the US?

Receiving equipment in months instead of decades might be beneficial for Arab countries.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Suicide Watch posted:

What’s stopping Arab countries from indirect lobbying by threatening to purchase weapons from Europe instead of the US? Is US defense aid to Israel cash flow way greater than that of Arab states that Raytheon et al won’t directly complain to the US government when purchases stop?

They DO purchase weapons from Europe, in addition to American hardware. Arab Typhoons and Rafales fly alongside Arab F-15s, controlled by Arab C2 agencies using radars purchased from multiple nations, etc.

But to shift completely away from the US...that puts their own security at significantly higher risk. Policy disagreements aren't going to overcome that.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Israel got a poo poo ton of aid immediately after founding; besides buying pretty much anything available on the Post WW2 arms market, they were given Western tanks and heavy weapons. By the 70s, IIRC, it became more like what we have today. It became more heavy in the 1980s as Reagan, funded by Evangelists, pushed for further aid.

This is all from memory, and if anything reads wrong, please correct me.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Israel got a poo poo ton of aid immediately after founding; besides buying pretty much anything available on the Post WW2 arms market, they were given Western tanks and heavy weapons. By the 70s, IIRC, it became more like what we have today. It became more heavy in the 1980s as Reagan, funded by Evangelists, pushed for further aid.

Not correcting, so much as amplifying-- Israel was very much an Anglo-French arms client until the threatened oil embargo during the 1967 war, at which point they pivoted much more to the US.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

bulletsponge13 posted:

Israel was able to leverage the cold war to get significant support from both the US and USSR at its founding. They got a pretty huge leg up over the competition almost immediately.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grip it and rip it posted:

Israel was able to leverage the cold war to get significant support from both the US and USSR at its founding. They got a pretty huge leg up over the competition almost immediately.

Can anyone go into detail about this? Especially comparing to neighbouring states.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Can anyone go into detail about this? Especially comparing to neighbouring states.

A load of surplus WW2 equipment (the continent was awash with the stuff) made its way to Israel in 1948 via Czechoslovakia.

That's basically it, by the early 50s the USSR is flooding Israel's neighbours with arms and Israel is allied with Britain and France who see it as a base to maintain influence in the region and counter Soviet influence, and then after Suez there's the pivot to the US.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah it's my understanding that the political class in Israel at its founding were primarily emigrating Europeans, who retained networks and connections to the political classes in Britain and France. The Arab states largely lacked these connections.

Arming Israel also came with the absolutely massive appeal of countering an Egypt who threatened Britain and France's access to the Suez Canal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not to mention their neighbouring Arab states being regularly couped and having Western client leaders propped up as active prevention of them potentially posing a threat to Israel or even complaining when they get semi regularly bombed by it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

You see it most clearly in the Israeli air force. During the six-days war, Israel's air force fought almost entirely using Dassault warplanes. French aircraft. They don't even get the A-4 Skyhawk and F-4 Phantom until after the war. Even then, the Yom Kippur war was mostly fought in the air with Skyhawks, since the funds from the US weren't big enough back then for them to give every pilot cutting edge planes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/11/icj-hears-south-africas-genocide-case-against-israel-over-gaza-war

Say that the ICJ does actually come down on the side of South Africa's argument and go: "Yes, Israel is being a bunch of genocidal fucks." What would the actual consequence be? The ICJ doesn't have an enforcement division that can go to Israel and arrest their government and Netanyahu probably won't go hand himself over willingly. So I assume the only real consequence would be that ICJ signatories would be legally compelled to arrest those found responsible if they dropped by?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/11/icj-hears-south-africas-genocide-case-against-israel-over-gaza-war

Say that the ICJ does actually come down on the side of South Africa's argument and go: "Yes, Israel is being a bunch of genocidal fucks." What would the actual consequence be? The ICJ doesn't have an enforcement division that can go to Israel and arrest their government and Netanyahu probably won't go hand himself over willingly. So I assume the only real consequence would be that ICJ signatories would be legally compelled to arrest those found responsible if they dropped by?

Yeah people who win wars don't go to jail for war crimes. The only real consequence (assuming nobody is going to enforce the judgement with military force) is embarrassment and political pressure on every other country to not have diplomatic or economic ties to Israel.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PurpleXVI posted:

Sanctions, I hope.

Never going to happen though. A significant number of nations would need to use an ICJ ruling as cause to implement sanctions programs.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 12, 2024

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

PurpleXVI posted:

Good lord the Mossad would loving destroy anyone that tried to enforce that

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mrmcd posted:

Yeah people who win wars don't go to jail for war crimes. The only real consequence (assuming nobody is going to enforce the judgement with military force) is embarrassment and political pressure on every other country to not have diplomatic or economic ties to Israel.

Not quite 100% true. For example: the Croatian government went through some pains to bring about the trials of some of their higher ranking officers involved in ethnic cleansing, etc. during the Yugoslav Wars. There are reasons, beyond any sense of justice, for that to have happened. The result was better than nothing though.

Even the Serbian government, post-Milošević, has made attempts to try very high profile participants in the worst excesses of the FRY rump state and it's satellites.

South Africa as a whole voted to end apartheid through concerted efforts from without and within. Truth and Reconciliation worked, as well as it could be expected to.

I'm not hopeful.

In two of those cases it was mostly broken old men with little influence left, after everyone around them who could evaded justice themselves. Even then, the respective governments wanted to distance their current structures as far away from what was, and as close to the greater world (the EU, mostly), as they could. That kind of thing can swing with the wind though.

With so many younger people directly involved in the current genocide of people of Palestine, it might take a while for anything to happen one way or the other. The war may end, but the fear and hatred could be so ingrained that nothing can change.

Again, I'm not hopeful.

It took decades of ruinious wars, sanctions, and devestment to change South Africa from what it was to, what it is now. It took a couple years of abject horror and misery, plus a few decades of uneasy peace, financial ruin, and international pressure for the former Yugoslav states to get to where they are now. Maybe Israel/Palestine can go the same way. Maybe the war torn nations of the Middle East could as well. Might go totally in the another direction.

I'm not super hopeful.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 12, 2024

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dumb Brain: We should try to get Israel to have its leaders subject to the ICC

Smart Brain: Arrest any of them that leave Israel. But uh, there’s something inherently wrong with making a list of Jews to hang in Europe. Just yeah, let’s not.

Galaxy Brain: Wait a few years. Let them make their own documentaries and have official records of military commendations etc to nail down precisely who was telling troops to shoot civilians and which troops did the shooting.

This will be easier with time, but it just leaves you with another long list of Jews you’re proposing to hang in Europe. Just… nope. Nope, nope, nope.

Nobody is ever getting justice for the Israeli Genocide anymore than Israel is getting justice for 10/7. Which…. They’re not, and now they have exponentially more blood on their hands than can ever be washed off.

I wish they had learned one loving thing from us. Just one. But no. What did we get?

Issssraaaaeeeelllllllll Jenkins!!!!! (Goddamit Israel you are bombing a hospital)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Smart Brain: Arrest any of them that leave Israel. But uh, there’s something inherently wrong with making a list of Jews to hang in Europe. Just yeah, let’s not.

Yeah, Interpol having any Israeli on a list of people wanted on outstanding warrants is just like what Hitler did. 🙄

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mrmcd posted:

Yeah, Interpol having any Israeli on a list of people wanted on outstanding warrants is just like what Hitler did. 🙄

Let me be more clear: Israel has the ability to Holocaust Europe. They’ll be taking a lot of Iranians with them too, but you better loving believe there is a true Jewish final solution to the European question: Mushroom Clouds.

Jews on lists for execution in Europe is a terrible idea. For historical, and practical, and honestly strategic reasons.

You think I’m kidding, and I am, but I’m a oval office hair away from the Venn diagram of joke and objective truth from being perfectly circular. And if you think I’m exaggerating, you are right.

Cheers.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
What in the goddamn gently caress are you talking about.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sounds like The Samson Option, in which case I have some bad news about Hersh and anything he's produced in the last 30 years from single secret sources.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Dance Officer posted:

What in the goddamn gently caress are you talking about.

I think they're referring to Israel possibly having nuclear weapons(it's in Israel's interest to suggest it has them, to make everyone worried about what they might do with them, but not to confirm they have them so folks might use it as a reason for sanctioning them for having an incredibly dangerous arsenal hanging around, but it's never been confirmed or debunked completely), and suggesting that if major Israeli figures end up on internationally wanted in a way that hampers Israel's ability to do Israel things or perhaps risks Israel's existence, then Israel is going to hurl nukes at everyone in range while flipping off the world.

But also seem to be conflating "wanted by the ICC/ICJ/Interpol for a trial and perhaps a lengthy prison sentence in a not-too-bad prison for war criming a lot" with "they'll be on a shoot-on-sight list."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I figured we had already covered the intolerability of not standing up to a nuclear state with Ukraine

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Good lord the Mossad would loving destroy anyone that tried to enforce that

The mossad aint what it used to be (see: giant surprise attack coming from the most surveilled place on the planet)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was obvious I was joking.

Good lord.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
It was the sort of random screed I associate with drug use, not an attempt at humor.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
We've seen so much sincere insane ranting since 2016 that how can anyone tell the difference at this point?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Nothing to see here, just the most liberal city in Israel denying protest permits for an anti-war, left-wing protest, citing fear of violence.

quote:

Police deny permit for anti-war protest; left-wing groups vow High Court appeal

An anti-war protest on Thursday organized by a broad coalition of Israeli left-wing organizations in the heart of Tel Aviv was canceled after police denied the event a permit.

Organizers say they will appeal the denial to the High Court and make plans for an even bigger event next week. The rally, and its cancellation, illustrate cracks in Israelis’ support for the war as well as what peace groups have called a chilling of left-wing activism.

Daood told the Jewish Telegraphic Agency that police greenlit the rally earlier in the week, only to revoke that permission later on. According to Haaretz, police denied the permit on the grounds that the rally’s location, at Habima Square in central Tel Aviv, increased the likelihood of violence breaking out.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I thought it was obvious I was joking.

Good lord.

You got a strange sense of humor, buddy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

You, uh... you must be new here.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shim just shimposts, and there are sometimes nuggets of truth or enlightenment in the post. This is the way of things, as it has been, as it shall be in the future.

Shim's advice to the wife of an intel geek in the air force years back was legendary, and also 100% factual for how a typical SCIF rat's career goes.

E2: its linked below lol

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 14, 2024

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

madeintaipei posted:

100% made in the U.S. of A. Organic prodromal schizophrenia sense of Humor.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

orange juche posted:

Shim just shimposts, and there are sometimes nuggets of truth or enlightenment in the post. This is the way of things, as it has been, as it shall be in the future.

Shim's advice to the wife of an intel geek in the air force years back was legendary, and also 100% factual for how a typical SCIF rat's career goes.

Genuinely changed my life pls someone post it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OctaMurk posted:

The mossad aint what it used to be (see: giant surprise attack coming from the most surveilled place on the planet)

It's become increasingly clear that most intelligence agencies are not and probably never were remotely competent, especially ones that never really had to be because they get unlimited retries at most everything they do and no consequences for failure.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Genuinely changed my life pls someone post it

I got you boo, TW before you read the below, this is 2013 era SA, skip this post entirely if you don't want to read it.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have a question as a military dependent-to-be, I hope it's ok to ask in this thread as other information resources have not been clear. Fiance is a 2nd Lt in the USAF.

Here's our situation:
Fiance is finishing up intel school at Goodfellow AFB, graduating in May. He just received orders to Kadena AB in Okinawa. I am planning on staying here until my work contracts are done at the end of 2014 then joining him early 2015. In order for the USAF to foot the bill for me to join him later, when should we get married?

Some sources say before he leaves so I'm on his orders from the start.

Some say we should wait until he gets there so his orders will be amended and hope I get command sponsorship.

His current command says if we get married now they'll "for sure" pay for me to move later but we both agree that sounds like a lot of bullshit.

Thoughts?

Go ask the career development folks at the MPF. Also pimp the TMO folks and ask them.

The final answer comes from one of those two sources. And in the end you have a 50/50 chance of being told the wrong thing anyway.

But you asked for thoughts, and after smoking a bowl and contemplating things, I had a thought I'd like to share with you.

Have you considered not marrying your fiancee?

I can count on one finger the number of guys that were USAF intel officers that I wouldn't line up outside the gas chambers if the fourth reich became a thing.

A few years from now, when you can't even stand to look at him without feeling a sense of extreme hatred and disappointment simultaneous to realizing that at 28 years old you spend 50% of your day thinking about becoming a divorcee, remember this advice: Run the gently caress away now.

Seriously, there is a 100% chance your fiancee is a tool and a loving nitwit. There is a 100% chance that he will be peer pressured into becoming a distilled version of fighter pilot gay bro'ness not by dudes that fly fighter jets, but other sperged out intel retard officers. He's going to start saying things like "Check, Rodge, Vector, Burner" and other associated lame as gently caress things, while also sometimes randomly wearing a flightsuit to work on Fridays despite his only flight time being the fam flight he poo poo his pants or puked his guts up during.

Also he's going to cheat on you. Oh man is he going to cheat on you. And there is a not too bad chance that it won't be with some good looking gal, but rather some dumb bitch enlisted intel girl that almost got a degree in psychology from her podunk state school before she decided she hated the taste of gargling frat sperm and dropped out and joined up to get a chance at being the hottest little twat in a windowless SCIF in Japan.

But don't worry about that breaking your heart, he'll never tell you. You'll be too busy caring for the 3-4 kids he demands you squeeze out in repayment to the base model BMW 3 series he's going to buy you when he gets to his second assignment at Tinker AFB.

When he's not deep dicking some borderline inbred dipshit Airman who's a civilian 5 and intel 12, he'll be lording over you how his job and career come first, and pray he doesn't make more money than you because that'll come up everytime you sigh audibly at the dinner table where you two will passive aggressively try to grind down each others will to live and breathe.

By this point as a captain he's going to be TDY 1-2 months a year, where he's getting half assed hand jobs from third tier strippers on excursions with the least socially inept enlisted guys in his flight-- this is probably the point where his raging alcoholism will be so clear and obvious to you that you two will start fighting every saturday before kick off when his colleges football team inevitably will take a beating. This fight won't stop until his next TDY when the sweet release of his toothless stripper infidelities and lack of home presence gives you time to bust out your big giant purple *BZZZZZ* friend whenever those walking talking pants making GBS threads machines you call children fall asleep long enough to let you deaden the nerves in your clitoris.

Soon after he'll take his third assignment, the one right before he pins on Major, and suddenly he'll be pressuring you into becoming a fundamentalist christian, and he'll delete all of his whores off of his facebook account and spend his home time posting image macros about 2nd amendment rights, and how jesus spoke english in the bible so these loving mexicans should too. At this point you two will be consigned to bi-annual loving, and only when you've drank enough cheap boxed wind to be able to stand the idea of him pounding away on you missionary style but still refusing to look you in the eyes.

This will also be the point when your oldest childs ADHD and pyromania are diagnosed, and one of your parents die. There is around a 85% chance one of you is going to be eating zoloft and klonopin out of loving pez dispensers, and waking up angry that the sweet release of death hasn't taken one of you out of this loveless hosed up marriage.

Somewhere in here the idea of swinging is going to come up casually as an almost joke when you are both in the blissful release of a nice drunken buzz, and one of you will actually be very open and interested in the idea. The other is going to wind up being an unhappy accomplice wondering why your partner wants to gently caress almost chubby guys with spray on tans, or watch the sacred hole through which your children came into this world be filled with all manner of different ethnicities of cock.

I'm late to bring this up, but sooner rather than later you're also going to screen positive for HPV, and your intel officer husband is going to take every bit of research skills he has from his job to convince you that you got it from donating blood or sitting on a toilet seat.

You didn't get it from the Red Cross or a trip to the shitter.

As it stands now though, you can walk the gently caress away and enjoy a life that I'm pretty sure would be better than the above. And you'll never have to see the inside of an officers wives meeting which is a lovecraftian hell that makes my description of your future seem like Charlie's trip through the chocolate factory.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Always a classic.