Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Wait what the heck did The Latino Health Crisis do that was evil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Actually nothing that I can remember, I just wanted to type out the (misremembered) name again. Maybe he's a bad guy.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
Ray telling Teodor "You folded with a passion and intensity normally reserved for success" is really a great summation of his entire character

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

As established during the Badass Games, Teodor continues to fold with a focus and intensity normally seen only in successes.

(I had to look up that one, I thought it was Lyle's description)

Edit:

Potassium Problems posted:

Ray telling Teodor "You folded with a passion and intensity normally reserved for success" is really a great summation of his entire character

HEYOOOOO

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Teodor means well (derogatory)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I've always liked Teodor as a portrayal of the experience of just assuming you are supposed to be creative because you spend all your time consuming media, but being neither gifted nor hard-working.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It's funny how Beef doesn't read as a deadbeat in the same way that Teodor does, even though he's sorta lived off Ray. Maybe it's because he comes from Circumstances or that Ray's and Beef's friendship is the strip's most celebrated relationship? I dunno, he just doesn't radiate the same layabout loser energy as Teodor

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

moot the hopple posted:

It's funny how Beef doesn't read as a deadbeat in the same way that Teodor does, even though he's sorta lived off Ray. Maybe it's because he comes from Circumstances or that Ray's and Beef's friendship is the strip's most celebrated relationship? I dunno, he just doesn't radiate the same layabout loser energy as Teodor

Some of it is definitely Beef's Circumstances, but I think a lot of it is just that Beef is written more sympathetically and gets more wins, while Teodor often feels like Onstad's punching bag character

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

moot the hopple posted:

Beef is the guy Teodor thinks he is. There's probably a subterranean resentment there, or would be if Teodor didn't also see Roast Beef's crippling depression and fights with his wife.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Nessus posted:

Beef is the guy Teodor thinks he is. There's probably a subterranean resentment there
And quit getting hard!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I've always liked Teodor as a portrayal of the experience of just assuming you are supposed to be creative because you spend all your time consuming media, but being neither gifted nor hard-working.

This. Beef may not have a job but he has demonstrated marketable skills, and at one point he had a programming career of some sort.

Teodor just kind of floats between situations. He likes to cook, he plays guitar, etc. but at no point has he actually decided what to do with his life. He’s a ditherer.

(Like, even Lyle has a regular job cooking/sculling/whatever at various joints. In this, he is better than Teodor.)

I actually would love if the lampshade was real and this arc ended in Teodor chilling in a monastery for a bit figuring poo poo out and getting traction.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

drat this is really good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I feel like Teodor does have talent, just not enough to go beyond the amateur level or maybe the bottom tier of professional, the issue is that yeah he's a ditherer, I don't think what he has in an unsolvable issue, probably just needs some Ritalin or something

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there's an old interview where Onstead says that someone on his way out of a signing turned at the last minute and said "you're Teodor, right?" and he gave him a thumbs-up without thinking about it and at that moment realized that that dude was correct but

I feel as though this story perhaps mythologizes what O knew already.

but but dude generally seems like a reliable narrator. regardless, he's claimed that Teodor is his self-insert, however many facets might be [etc]

edit: not to say this is some kind of 1:1 with his morality or anything even

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

feetnotes posted:

Wait what the heck did The Latino Health Crisis do that was evil?

he doesn't like thomas the tank engine

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Wait when does Téodor scam Ray for money? He overcharges Ray to make his baseball card, but I don't remember him actively seeking to bilk Ray in the way that Cornelius does by goading Ray to bet on things

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

there's an old interview where Onstead says that someone on his way out of a signing turned at the last minute and said "you're Teodor, right?" and he gave him a thumbs-up without thinking about it and at that moment realized that that dude was correct but

I feel as though this story perhaps mythologizes what O knew already.

but but dude generally seems like a reliable narrator. regardless, he's claimed that Teodor is his self-insert, however many facets might be [etc]

edit: not to say this is some kind of 1:1 with his morality or anything even

Yeah I haven't dug too much into his personal life but Teodor seems to have the most realistic struggles, his behavior in the cookbook volume 2 is extremely dark

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Deathlove posted:

Teodor means well (derogatory)

Yeah, this. He sees himself as a good person and deserving of the things he wants in life, but can't be arsed to put any time or effort into achieving anything, so when rent isn't due he just dithers. But he does seem to be the one actually taking care of Philippe, so he's doing some good in the world, just... not enough to get out of the infinite loop he's caught himself in. Beef has programming chops and is handy in situations since he's from Circumstances, Cornelius has the bar, even Lyle holds down various dishpit and line cook jobs, Teodor just... kind of exists and hasn't put in the effort to see if he can move beyond that.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Zefiel posted:

Wait when does Téodor scam Ray for money? He overcharges Ray to make his baseball card, but I don't remember him actively seeking to bilk Ray in the way that Cornelius does by goading Ray to bet on things

In the blogs its mentioned that Ray puts Teodor in charge of catering all his parties and one time he checks the bills and sees a company with a name suspiciously similar to Teodor's that is hella overcharging for their services, but just writes it off that Teodor is bad at keeping track and not skimming from the top like its suggested. Funnily enough, Teodor also does the Connie move where he makes easy money off Ray with betting since he's so bad at golfing.

EDIT: I'm remembering there was another blog post that again makes Teodor out to be kinda scuzzy where he takes up collection from the gang to buy Philippe a present and it ends with the present not costing that much or them not really needing all the money, but Teodor pockets the extra cash for himself. Sorry I'm fuzzy on the details, I read all the blogs all at once while trying to do it in chronological order which is hard for a dozen characters writing in different voices.

moot the hopple fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 13, 2024

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

lotta those folks

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
wait, what is Teodor explicitly bad at other than making money?

him taking care of Phillippe is at least as hardcore as anything any character in the comic has done, including the GOF.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

being neither gifted nor hard-working.

isn't he explicitly acknowledged as being a very, very gifted and hard-working cook?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stringent posted:

wait, what is Teodor explicitly bad at other than making money?

him taking care of Phillippe is at least as hardcore as anything any character in the comic has done, including the GOF.

isn't he explicitly acknowledged as being a very, very gifted and hard-working cook?

he is, if the cooking is low-stakes. when he's cooking for himself or friends, even if it's in a casual competition like the risotto challenge in the blogs, he's a star. but in a more rigid competition or, god forbid, a professional endeavor like beef's wedding? the control console in his brain starts spewing sparks

like another alt-text says, teodor thinks he's a genius because he's lazy. he has talents but badly overestimates how far he can coast on them without anyone to fall back on

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

he’s hung like a cranberry, and it bugs me

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

moot the hopple posted:

In the blogs its mentioned that Ray puts Teodor in charge of catering all his parties and one time he checks the bills and sees a company with a name suspiciously similar to Teodor's that is hella overcharging for their services, but just writes it off that Teodor is bad at keeping track and not skimming from the top like its suggested. Funnily enough, Teodor also does the Connie move where he makes easy money off Ray with betting since he's so bad at golfing.

EDIT: I'm remembering there was another blog post that again makes Teodor out to be kinda scuzzy where he takes up collection from the gang to buy Philippe a present and it ends with the present not costing that much or them not really needing all the money, but Teodor pockets the extra cash for himself. Sorry I'm fuzzy on the details, I read all the blogs all at once while trying to do it in chronological order which is hard for a dozen characters writing in different voices.

Ray was the one who encouraged Teodor to skim off his catering budget in the first place. It is understood that routinely being in Ray's line of sight constitutes a form of UBI and he is happy with this

Anyway Beef spends a tremendous amount of time and energy grappling with a more or less constant series of mental health crises, whereas T just doesn't have any particular reason to get up in the morning. He's much closer to a version of Ray without the means to realize whatever whims flit across his consciousness before he loses interest again. His basic needs are all taken care of kinda abstractly but presumably mostly just by existing in Ray's orbit, everything else he really wants out of life can be taken care of by jerking off; he is bothered by a vague sense of unrealized talent and that he should be striving for *something* but is unmotivated to devote real effort to anything in particular. There is no particular moral imperative for him to be more than he is, but the angst and pretension render him pathetic.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 13, 2024

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

moot the hopple posted:

I just remembered: he gets paid handsomely for catering Beef's wedding and then fails intensely at it, Molly's siblings get it done and he keeps the money and doesn't even pay them like Ray think he did (as far as we know)

Also yeah I remember that blog post, it's Cornelius', for Xmas, he gave $10 or so towards Philippe's robo toy, which Ray ends up more than covering with like $300, and all he gets is a CD of classical music from Teódor with a "the right price" sticker of like $3 or so still on.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly Teodor probably needs therapy more than even Roast Beef does

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Teodor is poor, that's the thing. Some of his bad behaviour around money is just a natural consequence of needing to pay rent, which Ray and Beef emphatically do not. If you have to run a yard sale to make rent money on the day rent's due, you are living below the poverty line, regardless of how many pity payouts you get from your rich friend.

Similarly, Cornelius' gig writing romance novels from midway through the run. That is a poverty job. Everyone who lives in that house is way below the means of the other protagonists, with the exception of Philippe.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
but all teodor does is sit around playing bass and ordering takeout from the same six menus

if he didnt order takeout and did something more than playing bass, he probably wouldnt have to sell dog penis medicine as hot sauce to make rent

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think he's probably incapable of holding down a steady job. Every time we see him try, he spirals and burns out almost immediately. Same deal with Cornelius and Lyle, although this manifests in different ways for them - they do a series of gigs that never last long and don't pay much, because something about their temperament is incompatible with steady work. I think this is probably semi-autobiographical for part of the comic, because making a webcomic your main source of income in your 20s is also a poverty job that you stick with because a 9 - 5 feels intolerable to you.

Same deal with Beef, but Beef is lucky enough to be Ray's best friend, so he doesn't have to take gigs or scramble for cash. Temperamentally he's very similar to Teodor, I think.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Teodor, are you ever... honest with yourself?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This is the perfect example of it, yeah. Teodor could in theory do this. He has the chef's skills needed to deliver the spatchcock chicken supper. But give him a framework, a management structure, a responsibility, a deadline, and he crumbles like a Greek cheese.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Inattentive ADHD?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
maybe holding down a job sucks?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Yeah everything people are saying sounds like Teodor would be fine with a Vyvanse prescription and a lock on his weed cabinet that only opens on the weekends.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pershing posted:

Inattentive ADHD?

Stringent posted:

maybe holding down a job sucks?

Maduo posted:

Yeah everything people are saying sounds like Teodor would be fine with a Vyvanse prescription and a lock on his weed cabinet that only opens on the weekends.

Yeah, I mean, I think all of these are somewhere around right. Teodor isn't a bad guy, the problems that keep him in his rut are just mundane and un-dramatic. He can't concentrate on one thing for very long and he's afraid of committing to a career because he has a lingering sense that he's "meant" to do something creative, but lacks the drive to follow through on that ambition either because, again, he can't concentrate on one thing for very long.

One of the recurring motifs in Achewood for most of its run is the characters findings harebrained gigs that might be able to lift them out of poverty without having to work a 9 - 5, then ditching or forgetting about those gigs after they lose their sparkle. It's almost like the default Achewood plotline - a character finds a way to make money that seems funny or interesting instead of soul-crushing, does it for a little bit, then realises it isn't viable or gets bored of it or has to talk to the KKK on the phone.

This is funny and a great plot engine, but it's also reflective of an anxiety that almost all the characters share in one way or another. Ray is just a more fantastical version of the story, the person for whom all these scattershot gigs actually pay off, living in the world where the thing he paid attention to for three months in 2012 actually did make him rich. Teodor is the grounded version where he halfway does a thing, fails or backs out of it, then goes back to looking for the next thing that can pay the bills for a little bit.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
it's almost like the author shares the same characteristic

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Onstad got past this in a lot of ways. He did do something creative! He made something enduring and fantastic. But I think if your brain works like this, there's always the fear that you'll slip back into Teodor Mode.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I think I said it before in this thread but every main character in Achewood is a piece of Onstad.

I think Teodor is the closest thing to a self insert in the series, warts and all. Beef is Onstad's depression and mental state, lyle is his freedom and alcoholism, Cornelius is his eloquence and refinement, Ray is Onstad on payday and Phillipe is five.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Is it actually a problem that Teodor isn't a party organizer for Microsoft? I guess a focussed, motivated T is less of a clear negative for the world than say Lyle or Pat with a mission but with a million bucks and a high-pressure job doing the kind of bullshit he's shown any interest or talent in he'd still be the same anxious little dork convinced he's blowing his chance to be a great artist who bangs celebrities, still lacking any real spark.of greatness beyond the occasional meal he spent 12 hours cooking.

He's never really doing without anything, his poverty manifests in the form of 'whoops I forgot to do the one afternoon of work I need to pay rent this month, again' contrasted to say Lyle who's always scraping by on grindingly awful minimum-wage food service rather than the idle fantasy version. He's just existentially dissatisfied in a way nothing real can fulfill and disinterested in the rewards sustained effort can offer. Holding down a job does suck, why do it if it can't pay for anything you need

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
I don't think it's an accident that Onstad's middle name is Todd.