Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

This is my plan for 2024. Going to try to get more armies painted, and that means being more tolerant of my own "good enough" paint jobs.

Agreed! I plan to slapchop my Bloodbowl army so I can play and get into my local BB league.

Related question: for doing a zenithal, should I use white primer or white ink? Which is better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I use white ink personally, I have the Badger white primer but I've heard so many horror stories about it that I've never even opened it (bought it as a three pack with grey and black.) Liquitex white ink works really well even for someone who is still pretty bad at airbrushing.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

White ink is simply easier to work with and probably won't clog your air brush.

You can use white primer if that's what you have already, you don't really need the ink.

Edit: did this with grey and white inks over chaos black

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 11, 2024

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

When you guys talk about White Ink are you talking about stuff like Liquitex acrylic ink?

edit: I should have just read rantmo's post because yes, indeed you are..

I should probably grab a bottle soon since I've been meaning to.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 11, 2024

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

sixth and maimed posted:

I didn't log the time I spend painting my Kruleboyz Gutrippaz but judging the by number of evenings it takes me to finish one, I guestimate it at about 8-10 hours to finish one, basing and varnishing not included. I know I'm taking really long but I see it as time spent learning to paint better. I'll get faster eventually and it's something to do on an evening. Really happy with my progress so far, too.

When I was planning out a speed optimized paint job, the most useful thing was minimizing the number of steps in my process. I also chose paints with enough coverage to mostly need only a single coat.

Fix only the really obvious mistakes, and leave all the fixing to the end. It just doesn't matter if one of fifty dudes has a dab of brown on his knee or something.

Years of painting has given me somewhat better brush control compared to my early stuff, so fixing mistakes didn't take long. I got my IG down to about 13 hours for batches of ~20 models, including priming, bases and varnish. I never timed my early work, but my fastest work used to take a minimum of an hour of painting per model (+ basing). The new method is 2-3x faster.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

When you guys talk about White Ink are you talking about stuff like Liquitex acrylic ink?

edit: I should have just read rantmo's post because yes, indeed you are..

I should probably grab a bottle soon since I've been meaning to.

[bbc]Other acrylic inks are available [/bbc]

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Suggest me some good ones then!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
When I was younger, before I took my more-than-decade-long break from miniature painting, I was really focused on finishing certain points' worth of troops but also anal about how good they looked. I often found it low-key stressful, and usually only enjoyed it once I hit certain goals, eventually burning out.

I was determined when I started up again a few years ago to just paint what I want at whatever pace I want without thinking too hard about it. I paint slowly but steadily and I've enjoyed it much more.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

lilljonas posted:

This is my plan for 2024. Going to try to get more armies painted, and that means being more tolerant of my own "good enough" paint jobs.

This is so me - I've never been a great painter but rather than just painting lots of figures, I ended up spending more time on individual figures which just made slow, frustrating and eventually grind to a halt.

As soon as I started just getting things done both my satisfaction and enjoyment increased, and as a byproduct the quality incidentally also increased.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 11, 2024

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Getting some of the minis that have been on my work bench for a while finished and ready for use. They still need a sealing spray to knock down the shine, but I am happy to have so many minis 99% done.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 11, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

Liquitex and Ronwer Daley or whatever are the two good ones. Any artist grade ink will work

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

very relatable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmHiYExK5kw

edit: also very relatable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdvVgKX-lk&t=311s

and one more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw9iDiAGNmI&t=774s

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 11, 2024

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Liquitex and Ronwer Daley or whatever are the two good ones. Any artist grade ink will work

Yeah, the bbc tags were meant to imply a rote acknowledgement that brands aren’t super important. I’ve used liquitex, dahmer rowley, Valejo and aside from spending a minute figuring out thinning and air pressure, they all made the mini white

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Daimler roundee is in most art supply stores world wide, but I can even find liquitex in some office supply places, it’s great.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Anyone got any good examples/suggestions for muddy bases at a 6mm/8mm scale? Just looking for inspiration and ideas for basing Legion Imperialis infantry to match the muddy weathering on the tanks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Anyone got any good examples/suggestions for muddy bases at a 6mm/8mm scale? Just looking for inspiration and ideas for basing Legion Imperialis infantry to match the muddy weathering on the tanks.

I'd try slapping on some textured paint for a low effort mud base, I think it should work somewhat ok even at smaller scales.

I personally use Vallejos textured paint for most of my basing these days, even for my 6mm stuff. Before that I used just normal wall filler, it'll work fine too and you can choose grain size depending on how fine you want it.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 12, 2024

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Just some textured paint, lots of sepia wash, then I add some pools of dark brown wash, and then drybrushed with tan once dry. Very very fast, simple to do, and imo looks great.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Didn't get a lot done since I'm running out of unpainted space and too lazy to fix mistakes or do careful work, just going to put them on the back burner and do a basecoat on the other squads

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

At that small of a scale, you don't actually want much texture at all. The sub-15 scale basing I've been happiest with have been just freehand drawing on flat bases covered in a smooth paste and maybe some fine flock.I've yet to actually achieve a dark and muddy look at 6mm that I'm actually happy with, and it's something I've been struggling with for a while. Got a pile of 10mm Skaven basically held up by this dilemma.

One answer I'm coming around to, is that you don't actually want dark brown muddy bases at these scales because they look bad. Like I spent a while looking through 6mm WW1 forums and threads thinking if any figures would have good muddy bases, surely it's these. And at their muddiest, before shrubs and debris and grass is applied, they look drab and boring then consistently better when colored up.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 12, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Slyphic posted:

At that small of a scale, you don't actually want much texture at all. The sub-15 scale basing I've been happiest with have been just freehand drawing on flat bases covered in a smooth paste and maybe some fine flock.I've yet to actually achieve a dark and muddy look at 6mm that I'm actually happy with, and it's something I've been struggling with for a while. Got a pile of 10mm Skaven basically held up by this dilemma.

I'm thinking of having patches of texture (Vallejo Grey Sand) and a few larger rocks (small slate pieces) to break up the brown, maybe some little bits of flock for bushes.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My camera wasn't cooperating today.. but hey, 2 more squat conversions finished today. both of these guys were a good opportunity to try painting metal without using metallic paints.. and then I washed out the photos.. Not really sure what changed in my setup or if maybe I should just not try photograph minis about 20 minutes before I have to leave for work...

Shoulder mounted launcher guy. All GW plastic here (and one pvc rod)

Very dwarfy sniper, with a head from etsy and a hat from Victoria Miniatures

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

"Sniping's a good job, mate. Challenging work. Outta doors."

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

AndyElusive posted:

Whichever is readily available and in your price range is the best option. They aren't typically sold at hobby shops/model shops, but if you travel to any art supply/craft store near you they should have it. I tend to use Liquitex because the bottle is narrow and fits in my paint holders.

Most acrylic inks will require at least some form of thinning to prevent a speckled look, especially depending on your specific airbrush. Tweaking the pressure and adding thinner should help with this.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Got my stormlight minis in. I'm thinking about priming and painting the prepainted display figs, since I wasn't really interested in them in the first place.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lilljonas posted:

My mantra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnUT8VN6ekQ

Also my hobby store just started stocking ProAcryl recently so I decided to pick some up (managed to grab Vince's Payne's Grey which was cool). I'll definitely get some on the palette to see how it works, but how is it through the airbrush? Or just in general?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Dreylad posted:

My mantra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnUT8VN6ekQ

Also my hobby store just started stocking ProAcryl recently so I decided to pick some up (managed to grab Vince's Payne's Grey which was cool). I'll definitely get some on the palette to see how it works, but how is it through the airbrush? Or just in general?

It feels a little thinner than most, so don't mix like you normally would to start until you get a feel for it. I love it, and that Payne's Grey is amazing. Grab the Dark Jade from his set if you can (I forget if that's the right name, but it's got Jade in it for sure!) because that color is sooooo good for so many things.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sounds like Pro Acryl really made a push into more hobby stores lately.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
wanted to practice some dungeon stone tiles

gobbo

rat

mimic

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Nebalebadingdong posted:

gobbo

rat

mimic

No penny. 1/10.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
The gobbo is like a sweet old lad: he needs a cup of tea and a lie down.

But the other 2 are loving 10 mil terrifying. Not going in that dungeon.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Oh poo poo, that's the old Reaper mimic. That was the very first mini I painted when I picked the hobby back up. Love that little guy.

Whoops, guess it's had eyes this whole time.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

gobbo

rat

mimic

Where's the drat penny?!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

drat, I have trouble sticking to a project for more than two weeks lol.

Been thinking about painting up a bunch of guardsmen for half the day.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lumpy posted:

It feels a little thinner than most, so don't mix like you normally would to start until you get a feel for it. I love it, and that Payne's Grey is amazing. Grab the Dark Jade from his set if you can (I forget if that's the right name, but it's got Jade in it for sure!) because that color is sooooo good for so many things.

You got the name right! I was going to grab it and second guessed myself. I wont make the same mistake twice.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Cross post from the oath thread, because I'm happy about this (don't look too closely at the dodgy freehand on the cloak)

Beffer posted:

Double post, I guess:

Oath complete!

This was probably the quickest and easiest painted mini I've done. I can see now the appeal of the oldhammer style. When it's done well, it's strong faces, a good pose and not cluttered with a million details. It makes it fun and fast to paint. I'm glad because I had too much to drink over Christmas and ordered some more old metal from the troll trader.

Aenur got some paint because one of my war band in Five Leagues (from the Border Princes) died. Here he is meeting his new captain:

"What did you say your name was, sonny? Annie? Never heard of you. Welcome to the band, anyway. Try not to die too fast."

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Beffer posted:

Cross post from the oath thread, because I'm happy about this (don't look too closely at the dodgy freehand on the cloak)

I love what you've done, he looks so moody

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A Basilean Elohi ship from Kings of War's Armada game. I think this year with be "Twenty Kings of War" (like rhyming with "twenty-four")

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought a can of Krylon Camo Sand for my upcoming Plague Marine Killteam project and tested it on a random model first… and it’s sputtering like crazy. Some coverage, but mostly just going everywhere and sending out huge drops randomly.

Bad can, or is there a fix?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Professor Shark posted:

I bought a can of Krylon Camo Sand for my upcoming Plague Marine Killteam project and tested it on a random model first… and it’s sputtering like crazy. Some coverage, but mostly just going everywhere and sending out huge drops randomly.

Try swapping the spray nozzle cap for the cap from another spraycan. Most aerosol cans use the same size fitting, so if you pop the nozzle off any two random cans you can usually swap them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Professor Shark posted:

Put the can in warm (not hot!) water for 10 minutes before you shake. How long did you shake it? Double that. On second thought, triple that. I shake my rattle cans for 4 full minutes before using them.