Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

kazil posted:

Honestly, the worst is the "This game autosaves when you see this icon!" screen. Yeah I know, I've played this game every day for a year.
The worst is when it's "Don't turn your game off when you see this icon: [spinning loading icon]" and I sit there forever waiting for the loading to finish but it's not loading, it just wants me to push something to acknowledge it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

now, you can get away with a lot in making Castlevania-likes, but this feels a little TOO on the nose

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The 7th Guest posted:

now, you can get away with a lot in making Castlevania-likes, but this feels a little TOO on the nose

You did not even post the two that were really loving "I feel like there's a line here", in which you now prosess Rib of Dracula, and a screen entitled "Graveyard Duck"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Oransylvania

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair due to the way Castlevania is set up it's pretty trivial to make your own Castlevania since you'd just be using like Dracula, common holy symbols, and the existence of whips. It's probably the easiest franchise to make your own version of because like it ain't like someone can go "but Dracula belongs to US"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why is he wearing a trucker hat?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mordja posted:

Pet Modern Gaming Peeve #108: Those pointless title screens before the main menu with a "press ____ to start" prompt. Why did those ever become common place?

and if you're gonna have a second loading screen or a connecting-to-network delay or whatever, at least have the decency to do that crap in the background and start it automatically instead of waiting til i press "yes im ready to start the game" before sticking it in my face

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I literally couldn't find a way to exit Street Fighter 6, I had to Alt+F4. Does it even have an exit button somewhere?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

I literally couldn't find a way to exit Street Fighter 6, I had to Alt+F4. Does it even have an exit button somewhere?

It's in the options menu, which is super unintuitive. Just Alt-F4ing is much faster.

The game has tons of good features but they're all arranged by throwing them into a big pile so nobody can find anything.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair due to the way Castlevania is set up it's pretty trivial to make your own Castlevania since you'd just be using like Dracula, common holy symbols, and the existence of whips. It's probably the easiest franchise to make your own version of because like it ain't like someone can go "but Dracula belongs to US"

You don't even need Dracula himself sitting in a demon mansion, just a cornucopia of myths and monsters. The Kickstarter to "Castlevania-But-Not-In-Name" Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night also led to the creation of two classic-style games with a modern touch.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/838310/Bloodstained_Curse_of_the_Moon/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1257360/Bloodstained_Curse_of_the_Moon_2/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
That Prince of Persia metroidvania game really feels like a Ubisoft version of GRIME. I'm not saying that as a slight on the game at all because GRIME rules and I'd like more games like it, but it's absurd how much of the demo feels like the level design is lifted directly from it, like there's no way Ubisoft made it this close by accident.

I enjoyed the demo but it feels like I was clapping at plagiarism honestly.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Incidentally, I quit Grime somewhere about half/ 3/4th of the way since I couldn't handle the puzzle platform mechanics required for progressing. So it doesn't fill me with gleeful expectation.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://kotaku.com/suicide-squad-gear-score-removed-live-service-shooter-1851163490

Lmao

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What is a gear score?

And is this co-op shooter going to be any good?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

goferchan posted:

Posted about this in the roguelike thread but the more I play I see that it's honestly pretty marginally a roguelite -- stumbled across Withering Rooms tonight and sunk a few hours into it and I'm extremely charmed. It's almost like Clock Tower meets a Metroidvania with some RL elements (lots of stuff gets carried between runs and you can get back to where you were pretty quickly with permanent fast travel unlocks, but the layout of rooms and enemies and loot resets when you die).

It's a super interesting twist on survival horror, the genre's resource management elements actually fit a Metroidvania game really well as enemies don't respawn (so far :tinfoil:) and you kind of want to carve your path through the map based on what enemies you can kill and what enemies you can avoid. There are some really cool systems at play like a "Curse" status effect that makes things more dangerous as it builds up (basically gradually transforming things from Disney's Haunted Mansion into Silent Hill World) but also reveals various secrets you'd never see without it. Magic is extremely useful and has a bunch of neat utility effects like distracting enemies or booby-trapping doors -- you can do cool stuff like burn sacred candles to prevent ghosts from passing the perimeter, etc. Definitely feels like one of those Steam hidden gems.

Also while the game is technically still in EA, seems like it's just a formality -- everything is complete, the dev is just waiting to coordinate with publishers on a console launch before officially ringing in 1.0

Gonna check this out thanks to your post and the good reviews. I'm not typically into survival horror style games but the random floor generation and the overall aesthetic visible from the trailer has me intrigued.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

What is a gear score?

Gear score is a concept from WoW and implemented in many MMOs and Destiny. It's supposed to be an aggregate of all the affixes and damage a weapon does so that a player can know if they have the appropriate level of damage dealing/protection for a given encounter.

What it actually means is that there's a loot treadmill and anything above your gear level/score will just stomp you, so you'd better increase that gear score. Also the weapons themselves don't change it's just the numbers, at least in Destiny. It's number go up skinner box poo poo at its worst.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Phlegmish posted:

What is a gear score?

Stuff like this

And no, probably not.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I like number go up a lot and I’ll say this; watch the IGN footage of Suicide Squad for about ten seconds and if you still want to play it after seeing the UI then god be with you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh okay, thanks. I think they have that in Vermintide 2 and it doesn't bother me that much, but I assume that in Suicide Squad they'll be trying to sell you lootboxes and battlepasses to 'help you out' with your gear score.

KNR
May 3, 2009
It's also often implemented as fully opaque level scaling making all the visible stats secondary or completely meaningless. Those gloves could easily be an upgrade despite having worse armor because your damage/armor is somehow scaled by your total/average gear score to keep you on the upgrade treadmill. I'm fairly sure this was in fact the case in vermintide 2.

I think the funniest example was Anthem, where, iirc, the default starting equipment didn't count towards your average gear score, and all the visible stats and damage numbers were basically meaningless. So you could fight an enemy that would take 5 hits for 1000 damage from your high level gun, but that same enemy would go down to 3 hits for 100 from your starting gun as long as you had a high level armor equipped.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played Ghost Recon Breakpoint and it has a very curious option that allows you to just turn Gear Score on/off at will.
I played it both ways but it wasn't even close how much better the game was when you turned that poo poo off. Infinitely more enjoyable when it didn't interrupt you to make you sort through piles of trash every 5 seconds.

The game still had some quirks where it felt strange with Gear Score off, like random mission would keep giving AK47's, but since all AK47's are the same with Gear Score off there was no reason to having more than one of them, but it was a minor thing overall.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
So if a game has "gear score"*, I should avoid it because it's a sign the developers have been sipping from the laquer can a little too much. Got it.

:latestfad:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

So if a game has "gear score"*, I should avoid it because it's a sign the developers have been sipping from the laquer can a little too much. Got it.

:latestfad:

That's correct.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I would hesitate to imply this is the latest or even a recent fad, it's been a common symptom of lazy itemization in loot treadmill design for almost an entire decade

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
No because that would mean skipping Darktide or Vermintide!

...though that would save from ever playing Destiny. Hm. Maybe a sacrifice must be made...

Runa posted:

I would hesitate to imply this is the latest or even a recent fad, it's been a common symptom of lazy itemization in loot treadmill design for almost an entire decade

I feel it's been a thing longer than GaaS I feel lol

Azran fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 13, 2024

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Holy poo poo i watched the Suicide Squad gameplay for a few minutes and it looks so bad, like Agents of M.A.Y.H.E.M. bad.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gear score as we currently know it has been around since Wrath of the Lich King, at least.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Speaking of annoying game messages, did anyone here know that you can press shift + tab to access the steam community while playing a game?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
GearScore is the name of the mod that aggregated your item levels in WoW Wrath of the Lich King, eventually the game got its own version of it, and all future MMOs and GaaS treadmills use variants of this to display what gear you're expected to have to do content X (sometimes it's also gating content directly, as in "if you don't have gear score Y you can't enter content Z"). But the concept of item levels is much older and even before mods and game UIs showed "gear scores", you could have internal item levels or other mechanics that leveled gear, and content was still tuned for a certain baseline of equipment which is functionally the same thing.

sebmojo posted:

For me it's the shutoff warning 'unsaved content will be lost' like thanks fucko I never would have guessed, how about telling me when you last saved?
I'm a big fan of this in games which autosave constantly, like a lot of Ubisoft open world games save after every fart of yours but still tend to pop up this warning when you're about to quit.

Jack Trades posted:

I played Ghost Recon Breakpoint and it has a very curious option that allows you to just turn Gear Score on/off at will.
I played it both ways but it wasn't even close how much better the game was when you turned that poo poo off. Infinitely more enjoyable when it didn't interrupt you to make you sort through piles of trash every 5 seconds.

The game still had some quirks where it felt strange with Gear Score off, like random mission would keep giving AK47's, but since all AK47's are the same with Gear Score off there was no reason to having more than one of them, but it was a minor thing overall.
It's not so curious: https://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-delays-watch-dogs-legion-rainbow-six-quarantine-and-gods-and-monsters/

When it launched, the gear score treadmill was the only way to play the game. Sales were bad enough they delayed and overhauled other games (apparently WD: Legion was also supposed to have some sort of treadmill which they removed before release) and they had to salvage Breakpoint with this big patch that added "immersive" mode (which allowed you to play without gear levels, and added the cool difficulty customization options the game has now): https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/game/...itle-update-200

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 13, 2024

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Another one is the game saving when it is loading up the title screen. Will it corrupt my save if it crashes at the title screen?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

orcane posted:

When it launched, the gear score treadmill was the only way to play the game. Sales were bad enough they delayed and overhauled other games (apparently WD: Legion was also supposed to have some sort of treadmill which they removed before release) and they had to salvage Breakpoint with this big patch that added "immersive" mode (which allowed you to play without gear levels, and added the cool difficulty customization options the game has now): https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/game/...itle-update-200

Yeah, I legit think almost every game with incremental number upgrades on equipment would be better off without it. I said almost because there's often an exception, but I legit can't think of a game that's improved by it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gear score is an attempt to simplify information for the player by providing them with a snapshot of an item's overall value rather than make them compare 5 different affixes to determine whether or not something is an upgrade. I understand the rationale behind it but in practice it more often just makes gear feel samey and cynical.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

exquisite tea posted:

but in practice it more often just makes gear feel samey and cynical.

This is my biggest problem with it. You instantly see through the veil and it just crushes any desire I have to play a game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

exquisite tea posted:

Gear score is an attempt to simplify information for the player by providing them with a snapshot of an item's overall value rather than make them compare 5 different affixes to determine whether or not something is an upgrade. I understand the rationale behind it but in practice it more often just makes gear feel samey and cynical.

Better solution seems to be getting rid of the stat bloat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

kazil posted:

Better solution seems to be getting rid of the stat bloat.

Mousing over an item to see 12 different affixes explode on your screen is amazing and the cornerstone of ARPGs. The challenge is making those affixes fun and not "you do 2.3% more damage to barriers for 1.7 seconds every second Tuesday after you've sucked a cock."

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

exquisite tea posted:

The main problem is that a lot games makes stuff scale through the gearscore itself, which can lead to some serious generification of gear/stats.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My big beef with those systems is when there's an arbitrary point when enemies will just kick your rear end if your gear total is a fixed number below them regardless of the stats on that gear. Plus the inverse, where being that same amount over enemies have you a massive buff even if the stats didn't. You saw this in loving God of War of all things, though iirc instead of being called gear score it was your Level in that game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Why is he wearing a trucker hat?

should be goggles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

game devs see Diablo/ARPG loot and think "ah randomizing loot will make things easier!" instead of realizing that the best games in that genre had to have spent a long loving time during development figuring out how to make number go up fun instead of a chore.