Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

That time in the Women's World Cup USA v Brazil quarter-final when Brazil time-wasted so much with fake injuries that it necessitated 8 minutes of extra time, with the US scoring in the 7th minute of said extra time to force a penalty shootout, which Brazil lost.

My favorite fake injury was when a player got stretchered off, and then the moment the stretcher was off the pitch, they jumped up and literally started doing sprints along the sideline (this might have been Marta).

I think said player was also booked for timewasting for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I think said player was also booked for timewasting for that.

They were, and it wasn't Marta. I had to edit my post a bunch because I actually went back to look at the match report (which I maybe should have done before posting) and realized I got a lot of the details wrong lol

In my defense, it was 12 years ago

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2rBzaWSfKY&t=310s

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Great clip, next highlight being Kyle Bekker skying a ball over the bar is peak Bekker too.
Forge FC Legend, him.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

In the first international game, Scotland against England on 30 November 1872, England played with seven or eight forwards in a 1–1–8 or 1–2–7 formation, and Scotland with six, in a 2–2–6 formation. For England, one player would remain in defence, picking up loose balls, and one or two players would roam the midfield and kick the ball upfield for the other players to chase. The English style of play at the time was all about individual excellence and English players were renowned for their dribbling skills. Players would attempt to take the ball forward as far as possible and only when they could proceed no further, would they kick it ahead for someone else to chase. Scotland surprised England by actually passing the ball among players. The Scottish outfield players were organized into pairs and each player would always attempt to pass the ball to his assigned partner. Ironically, with so much attention given to attacking play, the game ended in a 0–0 draw.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

That time in the Women's World Cup USA v Brazil quarter-final when Brazil time-wasted so much that it gave the US the time they needed to score a last-minute equalizer and force a penalty shootout, which Brazil lost.

My favorite fake injury was when a player had to get stretchered off, and then the moment the stretcher was off the pitch, they jumped up and literally sprinted back onto the field.

I remember that too, and the entire, mostly neutral crowd in whatever German city they were playing it in (I think it was Dresden) just erupted in a chorus of booing and invective when that player instantly popped up off the stretcher.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

We really need to invent time travel, because I want to watch this.

IIRC passing was considered cowardly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It has a sort of cavalry charge thing going on, I wonder if a lot of football managers were military guys back then

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Thanks Ants posted:

It has a sort of cavalry charge thing going on, I wonder if a lot of football managers were military guys back then

Before WWI, most football managers were upper class guys. I think mostly from public schools or Oxbridge. These guys were the officer class in WWI and were obliterated, creating more of a meritocracy in the game.

I remember Jonathon Wilson saying that on this podcast:
https://podtail.com/en/podcast/the-rest-is-history/33-the-beautiful-game/

A good listen, despite the use of the phrase "The Beautiful Game," which is for cunts.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love the idea that Scotland’s novel, sophisticated passing game was just creating a buddy system.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Apparently the offside rule at the time was that you had to be behind the third opposition player rather than the second, so England's 1-1-8 formation was basically an offside trap covering their entire half

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Yeah, I think there was some wild scorelines for a season or so when they changed the rules. Some players/managers couldn't adapt.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That there's a team called Young Boys and their stadium is called Wankdorf

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

iirc they built a new stadium (leading to the Young Boys Wankdorf Erection Relief headline) but then named it Wankdorf II for the culture

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

These articles are sadly not online anymore

Young Boys' Wankdorf erection woe

quote:

BERNE, Switzerland, June 26 (Reuters) - Young Boys have been forced to play a UEFA Cup qualifier with Finnish side MyPa away from their Neufeld home after European soccer's governing body UEFA refused to allow temporary seating.

Young Boys, who host MyPa in the second leg on August 28, said on Thursday UEFA has not granted either their request to allow supporters to stand or for makeshift stands to be erected at the 6,800-capacity Neufeld stadium.

The Neufeld is being used as an temporary home while Young Boys' new Wankdorf stadium, which will become the Swiss national team's home, is built following the demolition of their previous home.

Young Boys said they are in talks to play the game in Lausanne, Basel or Zurich. A decision must be made before July 8.

Young Boys Wankdorf erection relief

Can't find the text of this, but ESPN updated us on the status of the new stadium

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://web.archive.org/web/20100201063743/http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=270580

https://web.archive.org/web/20141123065823/http://www.espnfc.com/story/337901

quote:

Young Boys Wankdorf erection relief
BERN, Switzerland, July 31 (Reuters) - The supporters of Young Boys Bern have not had too much to celebrate in the 19 years since their team last won the Swiss league title.

Long since eclipsed by the likes of FC Basel and Grasshoppers Zurich, the club from the Swiss capital has even got a reputation for enjoying its status as a perennial loser.

But this weekend Young Boys sought to shake off their old image by officially opening the 32,000 Stade de Suisse Wankdorf stadium -- which cost 350 million Swiss francs ($271.3 million) -- with an uncharacteristically flashy homecoming party.

'I'm extremely happy, because I'm convinced this is the stadium from which Young Boys can finally launch themselves back into sporting success,' Swiss president, and Bern native, Samuel Schmid told spectators just before Saturday's show got underway.

Looking on as acrobats, musicians and dancers took to the pitch, the stadium's private investors gladly shared Schmid's enthusiasm while insisting the financial viability of the overall complex does not depend solely on the team's success.

'We have learned a lot from the multifunctional stadium at FC Basel,' stadium board president Benno Oertig told Reuters.

'When you look at the total investment, it's clear that we had to have other sources of income than just the football, which is why we have a supermarket, shops, offices and even a school included in the complex.'

'But of course the performance of the football club will have an important knock-on effect.

'We have calculated for average crowds of around 15,000 per match and are also targeting at least a third place finish in the league this season. That might put some pressure on the club, but you need pressure if you want to succeed.'

Fortunately for team coach Hans-Peter Zaugg, the club's backers also appreciate the need to invest in players.

Working to a budget of about 8.5 million Swiss francs -- surpassed in Swiss football only by FC Basel's estimated 30 million -- Zaugg made eight pre-season signings.

The most notable coup was convincing Switzerland midfielder and former Basel hero Hakan Yakin to join the club.

Having won both their opening away matches to take an early lead at the top of the Swiss standings, Young Boys already look prepared for their season of change.

'The building of the new stadium certainly played a part in my coming here,' Yakin told Reuters on Saturday.

'I'd already seen what a new home can do for a team during my time at Basel -- so now it's up to us players to put in performances that will bring in the supporters.'

Despite the recently appended Stade de Suisse title, the new Wankdorf does not have any official status as a national stadium and will share the staging of international matches with the other new Swiss grounds in Basel and Geneva.

The future hosts for Swiss Cup finals -- previously held exclusively in Bern -- is also still to be decided.

The Bern stadium is, however, already set to stage three group matches at the 2008 European Championships, marking a return to the international stage more than half a century after the old Wankdorf hosted the 1954 World Cup final.

Back in those days, Young Boys had something of a giant-killing reputation in Europe and even reached the semi-finals of the 1959 European Cup.

A second round defeat to Olympic Marseille in this season's Intertoto Cup reminded Bern's supporters that European glory is still a long way off.

Thanks to the new home, though, domestic success no longer looks quite so impossible.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 11, 2024

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
peter crouch being a cult figure in the spain 2010 world cup squad because they all loved playing as him on fifa

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

The unlikely story of how 'Dundee United' became an insult in Nigeria
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/11/the-unlikely-story-of-how-dundee-united-became-an-insult-in-nigeria

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Economic Maguire.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Freddie Ljungberg was Arsenal manager between Unai and Farteta

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Mark Clattenburg being the ref on gladiators

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
The Barry Hunter

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Lionel Messi being named men's footballer of the year at The Best FIFA Awards for 2023.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Best part is all the Real fans wanting Modric out because he voted for Messi.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Henderson: I wanted something that would excite me. And that’s not to say those clubs wouldn’t excite me because they are great clubs and they come with really different challenges. But it needed to be something that I felt as though I could add value in and do and try something new, a new challenge and for different reasons.
And this opportunity with Stevie (Gerrard) in a totally different league and totally different culture was something completely different, that maybe it would excite us in terms of the project that was put in front of us, in terms of the league and using my experience to try to help with that in many different areas and feeling that people value. It’s nice to feel wanted. I know Stevie really wanted me. I know the club really wanted me to go and they wanted us to try and build over the next few years — something that is here to stay and be one of the best leagues in the world.

Henderson: Stevie never mentioned money. Everything I spoke to Stevie about was football and the project. And he actually said he didn’t want to get involved in any of the money stuff. It was all about what we could do together to achieve something special and build a club and build the league.

Henderson: I think there was always going to be criticism regardless of what I did, whether I stayed, whether I went. So basically I had to make the decision on what was best for me and my family. So the football is the football side. So do I go somewhere to try something new, to grow the game that I love in another country, and grow the league into one of the best in the world? That excites me because I want to grow the sport all over the world. And that got me going, really.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He should really stop doing interviews

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
He grew the Saudi league into the best league in the world. He has completed football

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's going to be funny when Gerrard can't find a way back

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

It's going to be funny when Gerrard can't find a way back

Guess that would depend on whether or not he's being checked or carried on

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

quote:

Henderson: I think there was always going to be criticism regardless of what I did, whether I stayed, whether I went.

Yeah, sure buddy

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Really makes you think.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

quote:

Henderson: I think there was always going to be criticism regardless of what I did, whether I stayed, whether I went.

I think Henderson has a laughably over inflated sense of self importance around the wider interest in his football journey.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

You could have left out the part about football tbf

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

the sex ghost posted:

He grew the Saudi league into the best league in the world. He has completed football

Ronaldo couldn't do it.
Karim Benzema couldn't do it.
All those other lads couldn't do it.

It took Jordan Henderson less than 6 months, what a titan of the game

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

And he did it for free

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFeg_hl0Se4

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Speaking of Aly Cissokho, lol about his transfer to AC Milan collapsing after he failed the medical based upon his teeth that could indicate spinal problems (??)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

When they decided to play the semifinals of the Coppa Italia in Saudi Arabia and couldn't even fill one of the stands

https://x.com/calciomercatoit/status/1748071308389232752?s=20