Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

MikeC posted:

It was a bittersweet ending that was good enough to cement this game, with all its mechanical flaws, as one I will remember for some time to come.

roomtwofifteen posted:

The writing and art blew me away and imbued a ton of heart into the game's concept, characters, and story. I did not expect to care this much about all the side characters and their backstories.

coiol posted:

It does a great job of building atmosphere with just text and a few static images, and the gameplay system makes it feel like some kind of story-focused pen and paper RPG.

48. Citizen Sleeper (Jump Over The Age) (2022)
48 points. Voted for 10 times. Average of 4.8
Down by 36 places.

Do not citizen sleep on playing this game! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Loved citizen sleeper. I think it would have made my top ten but I played way too many good games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was hoping Age of Wonders 4 would make the Top 50, but fantasy 4X games remain kind of a niche genre. Oh well, it's really good!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

looper posted:

"The perfect blend of classic Silent Hill and Resident Evil that relies on neither and surpasses both." "I couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks."

Erwin the German posted:

It is survival horror. It is a mystery you unravel. It is a tragedy in motion about doing what you have to do because you can’t do anything else, because every other option has been expended and fought for.

Ineffiable posted:

The visuals in this game were insanely creative and the atmosphere was incredibly tense. I think this is worth your time if you love sci-fi horror games.

47. Signalis (Rose-Engine) (2022)
49 points. Voted for 7 times. Appeared #1 once. Average of 7
Down by 28 places.

Based on those words, looks like we goons who have yet to experience this should play during Spooktober. :spooky:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Oh hey, made it back in time for the list countdown!

Time to see if anything I picked even makes top 60.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hey I think that's my first quote!

Just FYI this game recent a patch very recently that solves a lot of issues many people had with this game, like the limited inventory space.

I beat this game mere weeks before that patch.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

xoFcitcrA posted:

I befriended a crawdad. Her name is Nancy. Fantastic game, everything I'd hoped it would be and more!

Waffleman_ posted:

Ichiban is my perfect son and no one is allowed to be mean to him.

Oddium posted:

"will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations" - supreme chancellor valorum, Episode I: The Phantom Menace

46. Yakuza: Like A Dragon (Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios) (2020)
53 points. Voted for 7 times. Appeared #1 twice. Average of 7.5
Down by 11 places.

Yakuza series can do no wrong. :hai:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So loving hyped for LIKE A DRAGON INFINITE WEALTH later this month

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Citizen Sleeper is such a drat good game jesus

veeg hasn’t used any of my quotes yet. what a bully!!!!!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
There were so many entries that I only used the quotes of people who gave the highest scores to the games that made it and I tried to get at least one quote from everyone.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ineffiable posted:

So loving hyped for LIKE A DRAGON INFINITE WEALTH later this month

loving same

Literally replaying LAD while reading this thread. I pause every 5-10 mins to catch up lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haha I am literally playing Like a Dragon while refreshing this thread, I cannot loving stop playing it, it's so good! Ichiban #1!

Nail Rat posted:

Literally replaying LAD while reading this thread. I pause every 5-10 mins to catch up lol

:hfive:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Wyrmthang posted:

I loved both Pathfinder games so I figured this would be good, but this is amazing. So many playthroughs coming to this one, I can't wait to dig into all the good min-maxing you can do, and what's awesome is unlike Pathfinder, you don't need to.

Runa posted:

You feel like a major player in your corner of the galaxy and the scenarios and dilemmas presented for your consideration all make you feel the weight of your decisions. You are not just an adventurer, even one with a great potential destiny. You are the monarch of a spaceborne dynasty and your castle is a warship the size of a city with guns scaled to match.

Super Inactive posted:

Unlike most games, you will face resistance to being neutral good.

45. Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader (Owlcat Games) (2023)
54 points. Voted for 10 times. Average of 5.4

When I think of Rogue Trader I am reminded of Nick Leeson who brought down Barings Bank. If I get this game, then maybe I would create him as the protagonist.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I didn't get a chance to post my list this year so instead I'll post along as/if they get mentioned in the thread!

10. Spiritfarer (9 points, runner up)
9. ???
8. ???
7. Nioh 2 (16 points, runner up) and ????
6. ???
5. ???
4. The Last of Us (7 points, runner up)
3. ???
2. Vampire Survivors (37 points, runner up)
1. ???

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

This was a great little appetizer before the main course.

welcome posted:

I really wasn't expecting much out of this but it's one of the best games in the freaking series.

Wolfsheim posted:

And, for the first time in the series, you can wear a new jacket whenever you want instead of just after you beat the game. I love it.

44. Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name (Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios) (2023)
55 points. Voted for 9 times. Appeared #1 once. Average of 6.1

I once looked into actual pocket racing thanks to Kiryu.
Also every time I was working on this in the spreadsheet it would autocorrect to Like a Dragon Garden. Please make sure to tend to your dragon gardens.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Gaiden is like a must play especially if you've been playing the entire series from 0-6

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

ahaha

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rip

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Quite surprised Gaiden didn’t rank higher. What other surprises do we have to come!!!!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rekt

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Rough

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I guess the gameplay was just too innovative!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

[quote="BeanpolePeckerwood" post="537131595"]
This is an Automated GOTY BeanPost. I am asleep right now but I wanted to say ______ being __th completely surprised me! Thread is already a thrill a minute and the hype is overflowing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

VideoGames posted:

I once looked into actual pocket racing thanks to Kiryu.
Also every time I was working on this in the spreadsheet it would autocorrect to Like a Dragon Garden. Please make sure to tend to your dragon gardens.

"The Bartender" in LAD literally just gave me tomato seeds. Gonna be a garden hero

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Quite surprised Gaiden didn’t rank higher. What other surprises do we have to come!!!!!

Too many games coming out, people waiting for sales.

It's a mistake. You need to play lad gaiden before doing infinite wealth!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I guess the gameplay was just too innovative!

Legit was expecting it somewhere in the 30s

But instead

lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Paracausal posted:

Some of the most masterful 'teaching' of mechanics for a puzzle game, wrapped in such an incredible aesthetic.

Jolo posted:

This one felt perfectly balanced where every time I felt completely stuck, the answer would dawn on me just a few moments later.

The 7th Guest posted:

It will never top Inside's insane ending, but as a game, I think this is Jeppe Carlson's best work, and I say this as someone who played it on a loving TRAIN RIDE.

43. Cocoon (Geometric Interactive) (2023)
55 points. Voted for 9 times. Appeared #1 once. Average of 5.7

Update: just being informed Wilford Brimley is not actually in this...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Ineffiable posted:

Gaiden is like a must play especially if you've been playing the entire series from 0-6

Really looking forward to playing it next after having played 5 and 6 so recently (last two weeks)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Cocoon is on my wishlist, just need a good sale.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm out and about today so can't post along but thus is a real good countdown :hellyeah:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cocoon rules.

Only just started playing it as one of my side games and it's super unique

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

"The Bartender" in LAD literally just gave me tomato seeds. Gonna be a garden hero

I love that the Bartender (spoilers for LAD7 but also other games in the series too) finally gives us the player confirmation that he is exactly who we think he is, and his explanation is just so matter-of-fact - "oh yeah I got shot up by a helicopter and almost died but I didn't" and Ichiban doesn't even blink he just rolls with this like it's a completely normal thing to say :allears:

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Does "down by __ places" always refer to that game's place from last year?

This is one of my favorite threads every year and a significant source of my backlog! I've already picked up a handful, we'll see if I missed anything as we go down the list.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jerusalem posted:

I love that the Bartender (spoilers for LAD7 but also other games in the series too) finally gives us the player confirmation that he is exactly who we think he is, and his explanation is just so matter-of-fact - "oh yeah I got shot up by a helicopter and almost died but I didn't" and Ichiban doesn't even blink he just rolls with this like it's a completely normal thing to say :allears:

Not the strangest thing to happen on any given day in Kamurocho or Yokohama!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tosk posted:

This is one of my favorite threads every year and a significant source of my backlog! I've already picked up a handful, we'll see if I missed anything as we go down the list.

It does yes. I only based it on last years results though. I know some games have had a long life and been and gone a few times over the six years.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tosk posted:

Yeah. It's expected that most games that make a reappearance will go down since fewer people will be playing them. The real crazy stuff is when they go UP

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

:lol: ing that the Fate mobile game scored higher than the actual Fate game that came out this year.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bifner McDoogle posted:

It absolutely does not gently caress around, hold your hand, or make it easy to explore.

ToxicFrog posted:

Overall this is a fantastic remake that stays very true to the source material, while looking and handling the way nostalgia says it did rather than the way it actually did.

Bumhead posted:

This was a challenging, engaging and highly memorable experience that captured just about everything I'm looking for from games at this point of my life.

42. System Shock Remake (Nightdive Studios) (2023)
58 points. Voted for 10 times. Appeared #1 once. Average of 5.8

"Look at you, pathetic countdown tallier"
Alright, I am doing my best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I've got this on my steam deck. Gonna give it a go one day.