Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Maybe it's a bit? It's p funny to be your own example

Like it's one thing to say, "so & so fans are bad at criticism/communication"? Sure, many such cases, whatcha gonna do, etc. But then to follow that up with "this movie objectively fails it's own standards" like wut, it doesn't have a single zombie or a heist in it?! What are you trying to say lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

(no i dont think the evil pov goes on for a long time. it goes on for the perfect time!)

Same. And also Cuaron's oners in a lot of what he does.

Honestly, that term's just my half arsed film degree poking through... which is kinda counter-productive when I'm trying to make a joke.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Last snyder movie i watched was Sucker Punch. Has he gotten better

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

The last Snyder movie I saw was Man of Steel, which I don't think I'd call better than Sucker Punch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just realized, the 4 movies I have successfully watched this year, they were all from different countries.
Spiritual Kung Fu (China)
The Raid: Redemption (Indonesia)
Barbie (USA)
Mill of the Stone Women (Italy)

I wonder if it's worth trying to keep that going for a bit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm sure France, Japan and Korea have produced some decent films recently.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy A. Person posted:

Seriously tho I don't think I've seen a single Snyder fan on these forums praise the random one-off world-building elements of Army of the Dead over like, the acting of Bautista, the character interactions between him and his daughter, etc

Not denying there are people who do that but I would advise against engaging with those people unless you're doing it to feel superior, which hey I admit, you are superior to those bone heads

I haven't seen it because I don't like zombie movies but I love the UFOs at the start.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CelticPredator posted:

Psycho Gorman and The Evil Dead have neither of these and they're perfect films, however they have monster suits and exploding heads, respectively

(no i dont think the evil pov goes on for a long time. it goes on for the perfect time!)

both of those movies have dudes in rubber suits! the system works!

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Thanks for the Leigh recs, everyone! I’m gonna get on Naked and Secrets & Lies asap. If Vera Drake is anything to go by, I’ll report back in tears.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jay Rust posted:

Sucker Punch ruled but Army of Thieves is better, so yeah

you can skip the cape flicks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sucker Punch ruled but Army of Thieves is better, so yeah

you can skip the cape flicks

He was only a producer on Army of Thieves

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gripweed posted:

He was only a producer on Army of Thieves

e: you know, gently caress it, i hadn't actually realized :saddumb:

between being a prequel, the "artist willing to die for their art" narrative, and the way it's shot i never would have guessed.

he's still got a writing credit, so i assume there was some influence for the thematic bit at least, but on the other hand Matthias Schweighöfer deserves better than to get Henry Selick'd

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 13, 2024

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
We saw Matthias again in Oppenheimer as Dr. Heisenberg. I see he has directed some other German comedies. I wonder how those are.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lobster Henry posted:

Thanks for the Leigh recs, everyone! I’m gonna get on Naked and Secrets & Lies asap. If Vera Drake is anything to go by, I’ll report back in tears.

I forgot to put my two scents in the bouquet but Topsy-Turvy is my favorite movie, watch that!

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I forgot to put my two scents in the bouquet but Topsy-Turvy is my favorite movie, watch that!

Thank you! That’s one of the ones I’ve seen and it absolutely rules! :hfive:

Wanted to watch Naked today but a fair number of his films are quite difficult to find streaming in the UK :(

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Is it not on the BFI Player? They recently re-released it on Blu-ray.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Escobarbarian posted:

I didn’t read any posts after this but NAKED, and then SECRETS & LIES

These are the places to go next. If you liked Secrets and Lies, then Life is Sweet or Career Girls will keep you on a roll. If you want something different, maybe Peterloo?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Had the chance to see Self Reliance, and it was interesting. Some of the choices made sense only when I learned that Jake Johnson also wrote and directed the film he stars in.

To be honest it was somewhat grating for a long moment until Alison Brie hits the scene. There's just some general amateurish elements like how he agrees to be a part of the game because his life is boring and he'll do anything to get out of his rut on the one hand, but his long-term partner left him because he wants to do the same boring things over and over and won't try anything new?

Anna Kendrick doesn't kill it. She's fine. But I hate to say it, she overacts a little (although it could be the script). But the mini Silver Linings Playbook told in 30 minutes (that the trailer makes it seem will be the whole movie) is cute. And the film picks up from there even when she makes her exit.

They could have gone really loving dark by not having the lights come on and instead he's in the large empty room, and it's left ambiguous whether the show producers just didn't want to pay him, or it was all in his head. But while that would work better than the actual ending from a cinematic viewpoint, it would turn the film into a look at the ways mental illness affects the ability to maintain housing and employment and it would be absolutely improper to do that.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 13, 2024

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anatomy of a Fall was solid but needed to spread out the quips. That prosecutor was absolutely feasting with the zingers. Law and Order has taught me though that detectives can be quite adept at one liners when reviewing a murder scene. These French investigators were boring as hell though. No wisecracks at all.

Here’s a Jerry Orbach classic. French detectives gotta match their prosecutor and bring this kind of heat.

https://youtu.be/hflrxHqr4vk?si=yOGUGlaAYxb_uYfI

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Finished The Burial. Solid courtroom drama elevated by Foxx and Tommy Lee Jones (good individually and together), and some real feeling in the story. Nicely directed. I wouldn’t necessarily urge you to see it but if it piqued your interest then by all means go ahead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I watched Self Reliance and honestly it wasn't too bad. It was enjoyable.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Hollismason posted:

I watched Self Reliance and honestly it wasn't too bad. It was enjoyable.

If you didn't look it up yourself, One million Danish kroner is about 145 thousand USD. The choice of currency was spot on because it's one that obviously won''t make him rich (and will be partially offset by him losing his job and having to provide for his new friend) without it being an outright premeditated scam or absurd (e.g. Here's your one million Zimbabwean dollars!).

The main character had the potential to be interesting. But it's not really explored and some of it seems contradictory. Is he the wild-card gently caress-up, or the staid low-level white collar man? Is he dying of boredom, or does he hate trying new things? Is he super lonely, or doesn't want to meet new people? He gives two different explanations for why he joined the game and while they're not mutual exclusive they're not the same.

Honestly what will stick with me after watching is the desire to see Anna Kendrick play a similar role in a quirky film with a non-traditional romance, but this time take it down two notches. It's hard of course. Too little and you're just basically playing Zoey Deschanel's real life public persona. Too much and you're bordering on a caricature. But there's a sweet spot and she brushes up against the latter a bit too much. It's not just the script I don't think. Like her expressions and voice work are a tad too much and it's distracting.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Carpet posted:

Is it not on the BFI Player? They recently re-released it on Blu-ray.

Good shout, thank you! Didn’t check there and they do have it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
anyone know the name of the electric car from The Dilemma? I don't want to watch it and google isnt helping

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Is it a decent movie?

I want to have a stellar film for every actor known to be mediocore, in my pocket, ready to go so I can be a contrarian hipster (or whatever word replaced it) when someone makes a joke like 'I'd rather watch a Kevin James movie than spend one more minute here'.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Kevin James is fantastic in Becky.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bright Bart posted:

Is it a decent movie?

I want to have a stellar film for every actor known to be mediocore, in my pocket, ready to go so I can be a contrarian hipster (or whatever word replaced it) when someone makes a joke like 'I'd rather watch a Kevin James movie than spend one more minute here'.

the reviews i was reading were mostly about how there was an offensive "electric cars are gay" joke and that it wasn't particularly funny anyway

there were some devil's advocate ones saying electric carmakers should watch it or some poo poo

again not one of them mentioned what the car name was

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Just watched First Cow, lovely little film. Was fun to spot so many faces in the cast - like seeing Alia Shawkat in a bit part at the start - what a lovely choice. Then half way through we get man of the hour Toby Jones (who just starred in a runaway hit TV series in the UK, which has thrust a real-life post office scandal into the spotlight). He's always great, but he's suddenly very high profile. And then just a little bit later there's Lily Gladstone, surely the favourite for this year's Best Actress Oscar. I mean, it was a great cast in 2019, but in 2024 you wonder whether this kind of indie could even get all of them...

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I watched that recently as well as it featured Toby Jones and I had only heard good things about Kelly Reichardt films, though I hadn't realised the husband from Past Lives was also one of the leads (and I did the Leo meme for the brief Lily Gladstone appearance). I definitely recommend watching Certain Women if you haven't seen it - I'd like to catch up on more of Reichardt's but there's not many in print in the UK.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How the gently caress did Highlander do a drone shot in 1986?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

Helicopter presumably.

Or very fast moving crane.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://www.thestudiotour.com/archive/movie/highlander-1986/

quote:

The Wrestling match at the start of the movie features a breathtaking helicopter-style shot through the stadium, ending up with a close-up on Russell Nash. This was accomplished using a system called Skycam, which is now regularly used on sports events, which was designed by Garrett Brown, the inventor of Steadicam. A camera is suspended from 4 wires which run to the 4 corners of the building. A computer controls the 4 wires using 4 motors all working together, to enable the smooth movement of the camera anywhere through three-dimensional space. The bulk of the shot is done with a wide angle lens, but the final part of the shot is shot with a different lens, from a crane-mounted camera. The cut is disguised by a single white frame during a barrage of camera flashes from the sports fans.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gripweed posted:

definitely a trained golden eagle.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gripweed posted:

They got a real immortal to use his quickening powers

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Carpet posted:

I watched that recently as well as it featured Toby Jones and I had only heard good things about Kelly Reichardt films, though I hadn't realised the husband from Past Lives was also one of the leads (and I did the Leo meme for the brief Lily Gladstone appearance). I definitely recommend watching Certain Women if you haven't seen it - I'd like to catch up on more of Reichardt's but there's not many in print in the UK.

Oh I knew I recognised him from somewhere. Added Certain Women on the Mubi watchlist, and they helpfully pointed out they have Night Moves streaming right now - so that's one you can potentially get in the UK.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Gripweed posted:

they used the same drone from the shining in 1980

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hella cool, and so obvious in retrospect. I went to the US Open a few years ago and they had one of these, it's a tiny little stadium so it's zipping around right over everybody's heads, and dropping down to hover right next to the players as they walk around between points.

Probably still a better solution than a drone in many situations

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Data Graham posted:

Hella cool, and so obvious in retrospect. I went to the US Open a few years ago and they had one of these, it's a tiny little stadium so it's zipping around right over everybody's heads, and dropping down to hover right next to the players as they walk around between points.

Probably still a better solution than a drone in many situations

Those many situations being any scene filmed in a stadium. And no other situations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Did Highlander invent the trench coat and sword combo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

man, Highlander kicks rear end.

I love the confidence of doing just plain text credits over black. Just completely justified arrogance, they got the song, they don't need anything else to get the audience engaged at the start. And then it goes to the wrestling match, where they have a random crowd shot of a lady licking her lips at the sight of the wrestler wiggling his hips, just so horny, such high energy, then the amazing wire shot. And then you get the fight in the parking lot, which just immediately fills up with steam and water sprinklers. It's so loving cool. It's such a loving strong opening like ten minutes. Amazing stuff.