Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MintFresh posted:

I love when people complain about piracy when there’s a super power who could’ve put a stop at this genocide and piracy by not supplying them. The twisted knots of liberals man

This kind of thinking is bullshit, are you only allowed to ever talk about the worst thing in the world? Like how words a day am I allowed to speak about things other than Israel before it's a twisted knot. It seems lots of people were spreading lies about what the houthis were doing and once shown evidence they retreat to "how dare you not use every post to denounce Israel!"Even when they themselves don't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

I am all for the destabilization of the global economy as a means of pressure against Israel but maybe the Houthis should reconsider having "death to Israel, a curse upon the jews" on their flag, if they want a bit more global support.

I'll give them a pass on "death to america" though.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Esran posted:

You claim to care about Palestinians, but you seem to spend all your time focusing on the crimes of Hamas and the Houthis, and ignoring the much larger and on-going crime of genocide, and the preceding decades of oppression. Literally every single post of yours in this thread has been criticism of the enemies of Israel, or trying to sow doubt about the crimes of Israel.

There's a lot to discuss in this post, but I wanted to focus on these things specifically.

Yes, I'm focusing on the crimes of Hamas, and recently the Houthi's. Because regardless of the crimes Israel are committing, both Hamas and the Houthi's they've committed crimes against civilians, and Hamas specifically is responsible for the start of this conflict.

Hamas are the ones who attacked civilians on October 7, they're the ones who have kidnapped civilians - and still have a number of them -, and they're the ones who sent thousands of rockets into Israel against civilian targets in an act of war.

And "sowing doubt about the crimes of Israel" -are you loving listening to yourself? Did you not see all the wild speculation going on in this thread during the Al Ahli Hospital explosion? Because people here had no idea as to what exactly happened - and by who - , and were baying for blood after 500 people were claimed to have been killed by Israel? This happened worldwide, for weeks on end. And, after all their investigations were complete, the HRW found that it was likely to be a rocket used by armed groups in Gaza.

And based on the initial assumption that it was an Israeli weapon, the summit between Biden and Arab leaders was called off. So yes, I'm pretty disappointed that we lost the opportunity to end the conflict, and instead have the situation where it is now, because that would have been probably the best chance to get an early ceasefire after their Gaza invasion. So get off your high horse.

Stringent posted:

What would your ideal Israeli response to October 7 look like? Are you happy with the Israeli response to date?
I would have like to seen a concentrated attempt to get those who have been kidnapped out by negotiations, preferably before any deployment into Gaza.

pumpinglemma posted:

You, specifically, responded to a post criticising those deflecting from Israel's ongoing genocide by immediately turning to October 7th in a textbook example of the behaviour being criticised.
... by pointing out the deflections that have already happened in this thread regarding dead civilians?

ASIC v Danny Bro fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 13, 2024

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

go play outside Skyler posted:

I am all for the destabilization of the global economy as a means of pressure against Israel but maybe the Houthis should reconsider having "death to Israel, a curse upon the jews" on their flag, if they want a bit more global support.

I'll give them a pass on "death to america" though.

The sentiment "death to Israel" is extremely valid and an eminently moral statement, right up there with "death to Nazi Germany"

A curse upon Jews is extremely yikes though, not gonna dispute that

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Hamas are the ones who attacked civilians on October 7, they're the ones who have kidnapped civilians - and still have a number of them -, and they're the ones who sent thousands of rockets into Israel against civilian targets in an act of war.

Looks at the concurrent violence against Palestinians in the West Bank, and at all the Palestinians in Israeli prisons... yes, it's only Hamas who has been attacking civilians and kidnapping people. It's the reaction to violent, totalitarian oppression that deserves all of my focus and my ire, not the country actually responsible for the apartheid and genocide.

I have my priorities straight.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This hand wringing about how Israel must be allowed any response to 7/10 specifically because of all the innocent people that died rings a little hollow when Hamas had a better military to civilian kill ratio than Israel does in this current conflict, and all the Palestinian civilian deaths are dismissed as something that just happens in war, so sad too bad.

Much like the kidnapping posters that are still up on 85th Street of the people Israel killed while they were surrendering, it feels like propaganda to allow for whatever autocracy Israel chooses to do how dare you question us, regardless of how hypocritical it is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

There's a lot to discuss in this post, but I wanted to focus on these things specifically.

Yes, I'm focusing on the crimes of Hamas, and recently the Houthi's. Because regardless of the crimes Israel are committing, both Hamas and the Houthi's they've committed crimes against civilians, and Hamas specifically is responsible for the start of this conflict.

I'm sorry, are you just assuming October 7th happened in a vacuum and nothing else happened prior to that?

I might agree with "Hamas started this current escalation" but, well, Israeli actions prior to Oct 7 were pretty loving abhorrent. Also, being clear here, overt genocide as a response to being attacked is also abhorrent.

"Regardless of the crimes Israel are committing..." just means you're saying that you think genocide is OK as long as the genocidal force are attacked (by the people they are systematically oppressing, not that that matters to my point) first. Cool.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

This kind of thinking is bullshit, are you only allowed to ever talk about the worst thing in the world? Like how words a day am I allowed to speak about things other than Israel before it's a twisted knot. It seems lots of people were spreading lies about what the houthis were doing and once shown evidence they retreat to "how dare you not use every post to denounce Israel!"Even when they themselves don't do it.

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

And "sowing doubt about the crimes of Israel" -are you loving listening to yourself? Did you not see all the wild speculation going on in this thread during the Al Ahli Hospital explosion?

These posts are essentially making the same argument: I know there is a genocide going on in Gaza, but I feel like I should be allowed to discuss in great detail whether the people resisting that genocide are truly moral, and really dig into whatever they might have done wrong.

When Israel murders (at least) 23000 people (the vast majority civilians), starves and dehydrates many thousands more, and you want to discuss how immoral the Houthis are for taking civilian hostages, it's hard to read as anything other than deflection, especially when you do it repeatedly. You're doing exactly what right wingers do when they derail discussions of police brutality by shifting focus to whatever crimes the victim may or may not have done.

Does that mean we must discuss only the worst thing, and all other subjects are banned? No, but when people start discussing the worst thing, maybe don't make a habit of immediately reaching for "But Hamas".

Regarding the assertion that Hamas is responsible for starting this conflict, history did not begin on October 7th. Hamas did not start this conflict.

Regarding Al Ahli, the context for this speculation is, as your HRW link helpfully points out, that Israel has been bombing hospitals and other civilian infrastructure regularly (187 documented attacks on health care infrastructure alone, as found by the WHO). Even if the attack on Al Ahli were definitively proven to have been done by Hamas (and it currently is not, the HRW investigation is not conclusive), it would still be reasonable in the period of doubt for people to guess that Israel did it, because it would be just another in a long string of such attacks by Israel. I wouldn't call "Israel did a kind of thing that Israel is known for doing" "wild speculation".

quote:

It seems lots of people were spreading lies about what the houthis were doing and once shown evidence they retreat

That is not what happened.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Esran posted:

These posts are essentially making the same argument: I know there is a genocide going on in Gaza, but I feel like I should be allowed to discuss in great detail whether the people resisting that genocide are truly moral, and really dig into whatever they might have done wrong.

When Israel murders (at least) 23000 people (the vast majority civilians), starves and dehydrates many thousands more, and you want to discuss how immoral the Houthis are for taking civilian hostages, it's hard to read as anything other than deflection, especially when you do it repeatedly. You're doing exactly what right wingers do when they derail discussions of police brutality by shifting focus to whatever crimes the victim may or may not have done.

Does that mean we must discuss only the worst thing, and all other subjects are banned? No, but when people start discussing the worst thing, maybe don't make a habit of immediately reaching for "But Hamas".

Regarding the assertion that Hamas is responsible for starting this conflict, history did not begin on October 7th. Hamas did not start this conflict.

Regarding Al Ahli, the context for this speculation is, as your HRW link helpfully points out, that Israel has been bombing hospitals and other civilian infrastructure regularly (187 documented attacks on health care infrastructure alone, as found by the WHO). Even if the attack on Al Ahli were definitively proven to have been done by Hamas (and it currently is not, the HRW investigation is not conclusive), it would still be reasonable in the period of doubt for people to guess that Israel did it, because it would be just another in a long string of such attacks by Israel. I wouldn't call "Israel did a kind of thing that Israel is known for doing" "wild speculation".

That is not what happened.

The Houthis are not resisting any Genocide, Hamas is. The Houthis have done some ethnic cleansing of their own. The Houthis are not Hamas and them claiming they are doing the same thing they've been doing for a decade suddenly in support of Hamas is a claim that requires some level of evidence, which has not been provided.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

The incapability of people to place events like this in context, taking into account the full history of the region, powers, and the motivations behind attacks like October 7, is very disturbing.

The most interesting part is that we don’t need to feel like the violence and death perpetrated on these occasions are good or commendable (I certainly don’t) to understand why they happened, and ultimately land on the fact that it was a direct result of all of Israel’s violent and oppressive actions over decades.

Cynically, it’s obvious why people will refuse to engage with this and remain stuck on ‘but Oct 7 - Hamas is evil - so it’s okay for them to kill civilians?’ Etc.

But it seems like a great deal of people genuinely can’t understand the simple dynamics at play here.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

The Houthis are not resisting any Genocide, Hamas is. The Houthis have done some ethnic cleansing of their own. The Houthis are not Hamas and them claiming they are doing the same thing they've been doing for a decade suddenly in support of Hamas is a claim that requires some level of evidence, which has not been provided.

This is a very uncharitable read of the last few pages. The Houthis have been doing this for a decade against Saudi affiliated shipping, and have recently expanded it to Israeli affiliated shipping because of the ongoing genocide. Neither of those have happened in a vacuum.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

The Houthis are not resisting any genocide

Yea, it stopped two years ago. It had the same backers as the current genocide.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

socialsecurity posted:

Eliat ports is empty. No matter what you think Ansar Allah's actual objective is they are hurting Israel economically, and the Capitalists worldwide (shipping rates are spiking worldwide, probably because container ships now how to go around Africa and is tying up boats worldwide).

They're letting through Chinese and Russian ships so there's that too

HazCat
May 4, 2009

So just to be really clear here: this is not a case of someone 'ignoring the thing we all agree about because that's boring, they only want to discuss the stuff we disagree on' like multiple mods dismissed it as.

This is a case of someone who supports Israel's genocide of Gaza using the rule structure of DnD to regurgitate Israeli state propaganda, with no support or evidence, while refusing to engage anyone on the actual topic of the thread in any kind of good faith, because their goal is explicitly to derail the topic.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mareep posted:

The incapability of people to place events like this in context, taking into account the full history of the region, powers, and the motivations behind attacks like October 7, is very disturbing.

The most interesting part is that we don’t need to feel like the violence and death perpetrated on these occasions are good or commendable (I certainly don’t) to understand why they happened, and ultimately land on the fact that it was a direct result of all of Israel’s violent and oppressive actions over decades.

Cynically, it’s obvious why people will refuse to engage with this and remain stuck on ‘but Oct 7 - Hamas is evil - so it’s okay for them to kill civilians?’ Etc.

But it seems like a great deal of people genuinely can’t understand the simple dynamics at play here.

Yeah it's useful to see/argue with to an extent though because the belief that Israel was just minding their own business until Oct 7th is the most common one I've seen when talking about I/P with non-politically online people. Getting people from that to a point where they least understand some basics of what's been happening is hard, people refuse to believe that Israel has been hurting/killing civilians on the scale they have despite any evidence shown.

Demiurge4 posted:

This is a very uncharitable read of the last few pages. The Houthis have been doing this for a decade against Saudi affiliated shipping, and have recently expanded it to Israeli affiliated shipping because of the ongoing genocide. Neither of those have happened in a vacuum.

Define "Israeli affiliated" and how many of the ships attacked have met that criteria?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Blockading a hostile country's trade routes is a pretty standard tactic, isn't it? Is there anything that makes the Houthis' actions against shipping that stops at Israeli ports militarily unusual? It's always seemed to me like one of those exceptions to the general principle of 'don't harm civilians' that got carved out because every competent strategist recognises the necessity of economic warfare against any nation they intend to do actual damage to.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
We really have seen the final transformation of liberals into Bush era neocons because of this genocide.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Define "Israeli affiliated" and how many of the ships attacked have met that criteria?

Going off Reuters here.

Galaxy Leader on November 9th. Ray Shipping, Tel-Aviv.

STRINDA on December 12, a Norwegian ship with a listed port of call in Israel.

At least two ships coming out of Saudi Arabia in the same period. It's hard to verify most of these because I'm not gonna pay for historical data on ship tracking websites, but I'd expect with the resources the Houthi's have this is what they're using and we're likely to see ship tracking get heavily restricted in the near future.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Blockading a hostile country's trade routes is a pretty standard tactic, isn't it? Is there anything that makes the Houthis' actions against shipping that stops at Israeli ports militarily unusual? It's always seemed to me like one of those exceptions to the general principle of 'don't harm civilians' that got carved out because every competent strategist recognises the necessity of economic warfare against any nation they intend to do actual damage to.

Name one ship they've attacked that was going to Israel.

e: beaten. Of the 27 ships they've attacked in the last few months, 2 were actually going to Israel. This isn't a blockade of Israeli, it's indiscriminate attacks on shipping using the Suez. And surprise, if you do that then the international community is going to get mad with you. There's a reason China and Russia abstained on the UN resolution rather than oppose or even veto it, they're perfectly happy for the US to go in and clear up the sea lanes (and take all the heat for doing so).

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 13, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alchenar posted:

e: beaten. Of the 27 ships they've attacked in the last few months, 2 were actually going to Israel. This isn't a blockade of Israeli, it's indiscriminate attacks on shipping using the Suez. And surprise, if you do that then the international community is going to get mad with you. There's a reason China and Russia abstained on the UN resolution rather than oppose or even veto it, they're perfectly happy for the US to go in and clear up the sea lanes (and take all the heat for doing so).

Which identified ships that the Houthis have attacked didn't have either Israel or Saudi Arabia on their ports of call? Seems from previous posts (including the one above yours) that those are the two main criteria, whereas I haven't seen any specific evidence for them going after ships outside their blockade list.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

There is still a fundamental (maybe intentional?) misunderstanding here about what the Houthis are trying to do. They are trying to disrupt trade, not specifically israeli ships. They're doing this not to impair the israeli economy (which they are doing) but to force international action (which they are also doing). They are trying to make it painful enough to the international order that they finally tell israel to stop because -- importantly -- this Houthis do not have the power to do this themselves. This is not, again, about specifically targeting israeli ships.

socialsecurity posted:

Can you please post any details you have on random or opportunistic piracy by the Houthis prior to October of last year?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

There is still a fundamental (maybe intentional?) misunderstanding here about what the Houthis are trying to do. They are trying to disrupt trade, not specifically israeli ships. They're doing this not to impair the israeli economy (which they are doing) but to force international action (which they are also doing). They are trying to make it painful enough to the international order that they finally tell israel to stop because -- importantly -- this Houthis do not have the power to do this themselves. This is not, again, about specifically targeting israeli ships.

Where are you getting this from? It is absolutely not what the Houthis themselves are even saying: https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/sanaa--safety-and-freedom-for-all-to-navigate-red-sea-except

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

I don't understand how you read my post above and conclude that I must really want to discuss the degree to which the Houthis are no angels?

You are choosing to focus on whether we can divine the true intent of the Houthis, because you think they might be lying when they claim to be blockading Israel to help Gaza. The point I made above is that it doesn't matter. The effects of the attacks have been in line with the stated goal, which is to put economic pressure on Israel and western countries. They are clearly succeeding at that, since the US is bombing Yemen now. In terms of the effects their actions are having, the Houthis are providing pressure to end a genocide. Is it possible they have an ulterior motive? Yes. Does that make this pressure bad or tainted somehow? No, not unless the genocide ends and the Houthis decide to continue attacking shipping.

socialsecurity posted:

There's no proof of this, if you could provide some sort of documentation that the near decade of ship attacks are all on Israeli linked ships it would help.

This post makes me think you are misunderstanding what people are saying. No one has claimed all ship attacks by the Houthis in the last decade were to put pressure on Israel and western countries over Gaza. The Houthis don't claim that either. We're talking about the recent spate of attacks.

Esran fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 13, 2024

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Alchenar posted:

it's indiscriminate attacks on shipping using the Suez. And surprise, if you do that then the international community is going to get mad with you. There's a reason China and Russia abstained on the UN resolution rather than oppose or even veto it, they're perfectly happy for the US to go in and clear up the sea lanes (and take all the heat for doing so).
This is actually an interesting point that is lost amongst the tedious back and forth of the last few days.

The UN resolution was watered down sure, but Russia and China let it go through, and so far have barely kicked up any fuss about the strikes - even Russia has 'both sides' equivocated over them in its statements.

They clearly aren't very happy with people loving with the money from oil/manufactured goods exports. They depend on income from international trade shipping and even if their own ships allegedly get let through (though not always as mentioned earlier) they bear increased costs/premiums/transit time at a point both of them would rather not (China experiencing a bit of economic turbulence and Russia having a war/sanctions to deal with).

If they really wanted to oppose the strikes they could have. But they didn't. I suspect they (and others) want to wait and see if a military solution does have any impact, as they don't have much faith in a political one (ie: they know Israel doesn't care and won't stop).

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Kalit posted:

Where are you getting this from? It is absolutely not what the Houthis themselves are even saying: https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/sanaa--safety-and-freedom-for-all-to-navigate-red-sea-except

this is from the deputy foreign minister of Sana'a, I'm not sure how well oiled a machine the Houthi PR department is. Abu Talib, later in the article, blames the attacks on non-israeli ships on the UAE. Not saying I believe him (though the UAE definitely has a bigger motivation than the Houthis here), but I'm judging them by their actions, not tweets.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

this is from the deputy foreign minister of Sana'a, I'm not sure how well oiled a machine the Houthi PR department is. Abu Talib, later in the article, blames the attacks on non-israeli ships on the UAE. Not saying I believe him (though the UAE definitely has a bigger motivation than the Houthis here), but I'm judging them by their actions, not tweets.

Here's a military spokesperson saying a similar line: https://www.wionews.com/world/yemens-houthis-say-strikes-will-not-go-unpunished-or-unanswered-679470

quote:

[Yahya Sarea] further said that the group would continue to target ships that were headed for Israel.

"The Yemeni armed forces confirm that they will continue to prevent Israeli ships going to the ports of occupied Palestine from navigation in the Arab and Red Seas."

You can't just claim your interpretation is what the group actually wants without any actual evidence, given that multiple official spokespersons are saying the exact opposite.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 13, 2024

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world

Literally the loving sub-headline posted:

Evidence Points to Misfired Rocket but Full Investigation Needed

Even HRW said it wasn’t a complete investigation.

I don’t know why HRW chose to publish their article, unless they have changed their mission statement to provide cover for brainless pro-genocide assholes, but haven’t yet updated their website.

I do, on the other hand, know why someone would still cling to the premise that a splinter group with no previous or consequent impact on the war would bear responsibility, after weeks where the IDF attacked literally every hospital in Gaza and justified it with propaganda that barely rose to the level of a sick joke.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
We really are seeing how no lesson was learned from the Iraq War, or the failure in Libya, or the failure in Syria, or the failure in Afghanistan. If the US and Western Europe bomb someone they must deserve it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Kalit posted:

Here's a military spokesperson saying a similar line: https://www.wionews.com/world/yemens-houthis-say-strikes-will-not-go-unpunished-or-unanswered-679470

You can't just claim your interpretation is what the group actually wants without any actual evidence, given that multiple official spokespersons are saying the exact opposite.

So what about when they say over and over that they're doing this for Palestine? In that case we shouldn't listen to the multiple official spokespersons and trust our own interpretations based on a legacy of random opportunistic piracy that, so far, zero people in this thread have been able to substantiate?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Alchenar posted:

It's not indiscriminate. They are targeting israeli associated ships with the intention of forcing israel to end its genocidal campaign. Russian and Chinese ships are being let through. They are, in fact, discriminate.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

The gist of my question is basically what can the Houthis do that anyone would recognize as legitimate and effective action to impact Israel? Should they only target military ships with defensive capabilities at great risk to themselves and probably no real damage? And if so who's military ships? Israel doesn't keep patrols there, the US and UK apparently does that for them and I guess they've now painted themselves as a legitimate target.

They've fired several dozen drones and cruise missiles at Israel since Oct 7th. They've also launched direct drone and missile attacks on a number of US military ships. The Houthis, unlike Hamas, do have the ability to attack military targets. I haven't seen anyone arguing that those attacks were illegitimate, though I'm sure the US and Israeli authorities must have.

Is it risky to themselves? Well, given that attacks on civilian shipping provoked a much larger military response than attacks on military ships, apparently not. Also, "it's too risky for our soldiers to attack military targets" is a piss-poor moral justification for attacking civilian targets instead.

Is it effective? Maybe not. But the impact of the attacks on shipping has been fairly minor too, and more importantly, Israel has already demonstrated that they're willing to accept a considerable temporary hit to their economy as the price for destroying Hamas. You've just fallen into the old trap of "we must do something, this is something, therefore we must do this".

There is nothing the Houthis can actually do to stop the Israeli ethnic cleansing against Palestinians. As a general rule of thumb, very few countries actually possess the economic, military, or diplomatic power necessary to force another country to change a behavior that they feel strongly about. Domestic political considerations heavily outweigh any foreign pressure that isn't absolutely overwhelming. And speaking of domestic political considerations, blatantly picking a fight with an external enemy has long been an effective (though risky) measure for a faction in a civil war to shore up its support.

Esran posted:

Maybe you could shut up about October 7th and the snuff films you've watched, and understand that even if Hamas were literally eating babies, it wouldn't justify the subsequent 4 months of genocide Israel has been doing.

Israel is pulling the same dumb argument at the UN. You don't get to do a genocide because someone attacked you, nor does the Holocaust give you a freebie to do one to someone else.

Of course, this goes both ways. Israeli treatment of the Palestinians prior to Oct 7th doesn't justify the massacres of civilians on Oct 7th. And Israeli activities in Gaza don't justify unprovoked attacks against civilian shipping. They're all bad from a moral perspective.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Just considering they're all bad without any differentiation is kind of an absurd moral position imo

And that's without getting into whether Hamas was justified as prisoners of a concentration camp!

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
No, it doesn't go both ways. Israel and Hamas (and the Palestinians) are not on remotely even footing, and are not close to equally responsible for the situation in Palestine.

Disregarding whether attacks are justified, which is not a productive discussion because that just boils down to your personal morals, Israel is solely responsible for creating the conditions that led to the October 7th attacks.

If Israel wanted, they could have resolved this conflict peacefully at any point since at least the Oslo accords. They don't want to, since they want an ethnostate and lebensraum, and have created this situation instead.

The choice offered to Palestinians is a fast genocide like they're getting now, or a slow genocide like they were getting before. If Hamas were to decide tomorrow to lay down their arms, the result would simply be a return to the slow ethnic cleansing and annexation of the Palestinian territories.

Condemning the concentration camp inmates for resisting, as if they are as equally at fault as the camp guards, is terrible moral reasoning.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Esran posted:

Disregarding whether attacks are justified, which is not a productive discussion because that just boils down to your personal morals, Israel is solely responsible for creating the conditions that led to the October 7th attacks.

Not only are they responsible for creating the conditions... as the occupying power continually brutalizing the Palestinians, they are also directly responsible for the actions that Hamas and other Palestinian factions have been taking.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

So what about when they say over and over that they're doing this for Palestine? In that case we shouldn't listen to the multiple official spokespersons and trust our own interpretations based on a legacy of random opportunistic piracy that, so far, zero people in this thread have been able to substantiate?

Why are you bringing something up that I’ve never claimed instead of focusing on the claim you had doubled down on?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 13, 2024

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
do the palestinians held in israeli prisons without due process count as being kidnapped?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Bel Shazar posted:

Not only are they responsible for creating the conditions... as the occupying power continually brutalizing the Palestinians, they are also directly responsible for the actions that Hamas and other Palestinian factions have been taking.

This is just victim blaming and saying that Hamas cannot be hold accountable for anything it does because they are...what...incapable of not raping and killing?
Like I know you think Israel is responsible for every evil under the sun but maybe if someone kills someone else you don't look for an excuse to blame the murdered person. This kind of thinking is appalling when it is some pro-Israel person saying it is Hamas's fault and theirs alone for all the dead Palestinians but at least you can agree with them that only one side is responsible and the other side is just incapable of having a non murderous thought in their head.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
I'm not accusing anybody in this thread of this, but I wonder if there are Israeli state actors whose job it is to go on internet forums and stir poo poo up/muddy the waters about the conflict. I know that the FBI made an account here years ago but I've never seen anything about other countries doing so. It would make sense to me for them to do, especially given the amount of effort they put in to doing it in other media. Maybe not SA in particular, but other sites like reddit and twitter etc. Is anyone aware of any evidence of this that's been discovered anywhere?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

enahs posted:

I'm not accusing anybody in this thread of this, but I wonder if there are Israeli state actors whose job it is to go on internet forums and stir poo poo up/muddy the waters about the conflict. I know that the FBI made an account here years ago but I've never seen anything about other countries doing so. It would make sense to me for them to do, especially given the amount of effort they put in to doing it in other media. Maybe not SA in particular, but other sites like reddit and twitter etc. Is anyone aware of any evidence of this that's been discovered anywhere?

Yes, extensive. The IDF and Mossad both have social media apparatus, the former being somewhat more secretive about it, obviously. The IDF talks about it pretty openly in terms of information warfare. It's difficult to find now thanks to searching for anything with "reddit" but from a few years ago I recall reddit specifically being a propaganda target

Kalit posted:

Why are you bringing something up that I’ve never claimed instead of focusing on the claim you had doubled down on?

Let's put the claim aside for a moment, but I'll be happy to address it later. I would like to know if you agree with me that the goal of the Houthi attacks on ships is in service of stopping the genocide of Palestine and that the Ansar Allah, as an organization, is working to try to help Palestine to the best of their ability.

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

enahs posted:

Yeah just look at /r/News. Israeli hasbara constanstly upvoted, anyone going aginst it downvoted. Séamus Malekafzali posted about the journalist that had his son killed in the airstrike got his account permabanned from the subreddit for even posting the link.

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1744051903040762091

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 13, 2024