Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Panting and sweating as you reach for the cheetos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nail Rat posted:

Not the strangest thing to happen on any given day in Kamurocho or Yokohama!

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but there was a mocked up newspaper article I saw once set in the Yakuza universe which basically had the headline:

Tokyo Residents Urged to Stay Indoors
Some bullshit happening at the Millennium Tower AGAIN

:allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, really want to jump onto that System Shock remake at some point, I was so pleased to hear it was actually good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:f5:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, really want to jump onto that System Shock remake at some point, I was so pleased to hear it was actually good

Nightdive are god tier studio devlopers on redoing great old games to make them, ever better. Honestly, their versions of Quake II and ROTT are the best!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

Part recency bias but also big part a lot of things I love: enticing mystery, thick atmosphere, lovely trip-hop music, characters that feel alive, and crisp black and white visuals.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Murder mysteries. Nuns. Homosexuality. These are all things I love.

Erwin the German posted:

An absolutely wonderful murder mystery VN about nuns in the 1400s. It's an odd duck to be sure, but it really nails the vibe it's going for.

41. Misericorde: Volume One (XEECEE) (2023)
59 points. Voted for 9 times. Average of 6.5

"What is happening in that convent?"
"Nunya business"
:haw:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow I’ve never even heard of this one, drat!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Two nuns are driving down a road at night when suddenly Dracula leaps out in front of them.
Sister Agatha says, "Quick, Sister Patricia, show him your cross!"
Sister Patricia leans out of the window and shouts "GET OUT OF THE loving ROAD!"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CuriousSymptoms posted:

it is a bonkers, complex and enthralling game which I have somehow sunk hundreds of hours into. FUN.

Science_enthusiast posted:

I am wearing a hoodie customized with metal spikes that I bought from Fangamer, despite my wife loving hating it because it makes me look like, quote, a "topshop punk"- I don't care, even if I need to push away the only woman I have ever truly loved, it will be worth it because i simply must express how much this game means to me in the clothes I wear!

Lester posted:

I put a hundred hours in still feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface, literally: I haven’t even explored the magma sea yet.

woke kaczynski posted:

Ultimately, though, I don't think I can fully describe the full depths of this game and what it means to me and its most passionate fans. I encourage you to check out the free version if anything I've said here appeals to you, maybe read or watch some let's plays, and you might find that this game fulfills a desire you didn't even know you had.

frytechnician posted:

If you've ever wanted to know what it's like to build a highly complicated, multi-layered ant farm and then fill it up with alcoholic idiots, this game is for you.

40. Dwarf Fortress SE (Bay 12) (2022)
60 points. Voted for 8 times. Appeared #1 three times. Average of 7.5
Down by 20 places.

The amount of wild stories I hear about this rivals SpaceStation 13 and apparently this is much more accessible.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I've never ever heard someone refer Dwarf Fortress as 'Accessible' :lmao:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
The "much more" is doing a lot of work in that sentence, yes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe in that you don't have to use ASCII graphics now and there's an actual tutorial, lmao

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Misericorde is excellent. I didn't include it on my list cause it's just volume one. Maybe when the story is complete I'll rank it!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
OK! That is the first 20 down.
A brief recap:

60. Lost Judgment
59. Neon White
58. Metroid Prime Remastered
57. Star Ocean Second Story R
56. Outer Wilds
55. Remnant II
54. Jagged Alliance 3
53. Astlibra Revision
52. Hollow Knight
51. Live a Live
50. Hunt: Showdown
49. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
48. Citizen Sleeper
47. Signalis
46. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
45. Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
44. Like a Dragon Garden: The Man Who Erased His Name
43. Cocoon
42. System Shock Remake
41. Misericorde: Volume One
40. Dwarf Fortress SE

Not sure if there were many shocks and surprises but one thing we can ALL agree on:

There were some GREAT games. :hai:

CONTINUING ONWARDS

Ulio posted:

It's just a really deep game in it's combat. Jack is also a lovable idiot and the story genuiely gets interesting.

KidDynamite posted:

Jack is the embodiment of punch first ask questions later and I love that poo poo. Also job systems gently caress do I love job systems.

susan b buffering posted:

This game is a really excellent realization of a Final Fantasy job system in an action game.

39. Strangers of Paradise (Team Ninja) (2022)
61 points. Voted for 13 times. Average of 4.6
Down by 3 places.

Chaos is about to get punched.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bullshit.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Issaries posted:

I've never ever heard someone refer Dwarf Fortress as 'Accessible' :lmao:

Jossar posted:

The "much more" is doing a lot of work in that sentence, yes.

Hahah someone told me it was! :sheepish: I will still give it a try :)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

This low rank must be the work of CHAOS

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

VideoGames posted:

Hahah someone told me it was! :sheepish: I will still give it a try :)

Yesss give it a try! You don't have to understand everything that's happening to play and have a good time! Do not be intimidated away, just take a swing at it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VideoGames posted:

44. Like a Dragon Garden: The Man Who Erased His Name

Can't tell if this is a joke about your autocorrect constantly fighting you on this, or a sign that the autocorrect has won the war :ohdear:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

DMCrimson posted:

It could’ve been so easy for these students to stay home but they made the optional effort to come out here and enjoy their time with each other, the best way to spend your limited time. Live fully because the calendar is all-too short and life’s a beautiful thing. Wake up, get up, get out there.

Bad Parenting posted:

Probably the coolest presentation & style of any game ever, along with possibly my favourite soundtrack as well

rogue ai goddess posted:

You know you've made a good game when people cosplay as your characters. You know you've made a great game when people cosplay as your UI elements.

38. Persona 5 Royale (Atlus) (2022)
61 points. Voted for 7 times. Appeared #1 twice. Average of 8.7
Down 13 places.

While I have yet to properly play this, I have heard some music and Take Over is one of the greatest songs ever.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
twice times

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Also, double checked my list, and indeed nothing's making it to Top 60. Oh well, I remain excited to see what's here in any event.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
hey VG, you have to post something like a link to the results or somethign in the OP itself, people wont know where to scroll to if they dont camp this thread

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kay Kessler posted:

:lol: ing that the Fate mobile game scored higher than the actual Fate game that came out this year.

yep lol, well, I might have put it in my goty list but I just don't really buy brand new games these days without reason (and I'm not a musashi fan....)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Oh man. I can be guaranteed to mistype, mispeak and mistake.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jossar posted:

Also, double checked my list, and indeed nothing's making it to Top 60. Oh well, I remain excited to see what's here in any event.

Goons really love their jrpgs from the Japan.
Fully half of the games so far...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

hey VG, you have to post something like a link to the results or somethign in the OP itself, people wont know where to scroll to if they dont camp this thread

I will absolutely do so :hai: And usually the very last post of a thread is the whole list as well :)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Kay Kessler posted:

:lol: ing that the Fate mobile game scored higher than the actual Fate game that came out this year.

Probably a lot more people still playing the mobile game though, and it does keep releasing new content!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Issaries posted:

Goons really love their jrpgs from the Japan.
Fully half of the games so far...

It was a good year for them or so I heard

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Venuz Patrol posted:

The best way I can come up with to describe what Void Stranger actually is, is as a seemingly normal block-pushing puzzle game that's had an entire additional Myst-like adventure game layered over it.

lih posted:

it took me nearly 50 hours and still i wish it went deeper and deeper.

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

with all its mysteries and weirdness, with all the strangeness going with the game got its hooks in me deep

37. Void Stranger (System Erasure) (2023)
62 points. Voted for 9 times. Appeared #1 three times. Average of 6.8

Goons being urged not to be a stranger and play this game as soon as they can.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

As someone who had Persona 5 Royal in my top 3, it really is one of the greatest JRPGs of all time. I love it so much.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I appreciate that one person going rogue and putting an oddball game as #1 can rank a game that's objectively better than Starfield

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Void stranger is my in current game on the seam deck!!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

okay well Void Stranger is going on the wishlist

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TimberJoe posted:

his game convinced me to buy a pair of inzone headphones to fully appreciate it, and any game for which I buy actual hardware must be doing something right

Bowmore posted:

No complaints from me, just praise.

Ineffiable posted:

It controls better, it looks better, it plays better, it’s more tense, it’s even got a bit of added content and fleshes it out more

36. Dead Space Remake (Motive Studio) (2023)
63 points. Voted for 14 times. Average of 4.5

It was a year full of remakes and all of them somehow were excellent. Very few understood the desire for ther studio to redo it and yet all came away happy that they played it. Success.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Honestly I can't wait for them to do dead space 2 remake. That game has so many good set pieces that are gonna be more impressive on current Gen tech.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It sounds simple but it's incredible well executed and manages to capture the fun and excitement of Pokemon while being far more tightly designed, with absolutely phenomenal music and just a ton of charm.

Senerio posted:

The music is top notch, the gameplay is delightfully interactive, and the monster designs are great. Also it's delightfully gay as heck, always a plus.

microcline posted:

it gets the importance of good vibes and exploration, but unlike Monster Sanctuary the single-player experience isn't compromised by the need to maintain a balanced competitive scene

35. Cassette Beasts (Bytten Studios) (2023)
63 points. Voted for 11 times. Appeared #1 once. Average of 5.7

The pictures I saw of this to make the graphic made this look like one of the funnest times. Putting this in my tape recorder ASAP!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Haven't heard of Void Stranger or Cassette Beasts. I may have to look into them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I'm pretty sure Cassette Beasts isn't for me, but it's definitely a game (alongside Siralim Ultimate) that is very satisfying for fans of the monster-catching and battling genre.

...I still have to go back and try Temtem again before I even think about poking at one of those.