Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

duckdealer posted:

Still have no experience with Remarkable, but my Supernote A6X2 arrived today and it seems pretty neat after getting it mostly setup!

I enjoy the writing feel but don't have anything to compare that aspect to.

Thank you for this! I’m glad that you’re digging it and the writing feel. Are you mostly looking to use it to take notes, read or a bit of everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

JackDarko posted:

Thank you for this! I’m glad that you’re digging it and the writing feel. Are you mostly looking to use it to take notes, read or a bit of everything?

Mostly be using as a planner / for writing / reading. Gonna try and work it into my Emacs setup but remains to be seen how that will go.

One thing I noticed is that the Supernote's kindle app is a lot snappier than using my first gen Kindle Oasis. Which makes sense I guess!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just saw someone who claims to have read 326 books this year, on Goodreads :catstare:

Some sort of literature professor, but still... yikes

goddamn it this was for the book chat thread, but here you go, I'm tired

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not really impossible. I'm not any sort of lit professor but a few years ago when I was in the reading thread, I think I read something like 200+. I just quit keeping track when it became a hassle. I'd imagine a guy whose life is based around books would be able to read a bunch.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

duckdealer posted:

Mostly be using as a planner / for writing / reading. Gonna try and work it into my Emacs setup but remains to be seen how that will go.

One thing I noticed is that the Supernote's kindle app is a lot snappier than using my first gen Kindle Oasis. Which makes sense I guess!

That's pretty cool, sounds like you'll get a lot of use out of it. I ended up ordering a Remarkable 2, I remembered my job gives us $400 a Quarter to spend on "self-improvement" and e-readers fall into the category. Depending on how that goes I may check out the Supernote as well next quarter.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

JackDarko posted:

That's pretty cool, sounds like you'll get a lot of use out of it. I ended up ordering a Remarkable 2, I remembered my job gives us $400 a Quarter to spend on "self-improvement" and e-readers fall into the category. Depending on how that goes I may check out the Supernote as well next quarter.

Makes sense! I heard the Remarkable got a big software update recently that people are happy with. So hopefully it meets your needs!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I just got a refurb Forma with the deliciously smooth flush screen to replace my old Libra, since testing with my wife's Sage has shown that I do really like the flush screen and it's a size that fits perfectly into my purse. Spent a while getting koreader on it and I'm really liking it so far.

Asked my daughter if she wanted the Libra to replace her extremely beaten up Clara and she said no, because she has an emotional bond with this one now, but she would like me to put more Murderbot on it. :3:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Just saw someone who claims to have read 326 books this year, on Goodreads :catstare:

Some sort of literature professor, but still... yikes

goddamn it this was for the book chat thread, but here you go, I'm tired

That doesn't sound too implausible to me; one of my friends reads a lot of novels on the shorter side and has a job with lots of downtime (and lots of time on public transit) and that adds up to around 300-400 books/year. I'm lucky to manage 150.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone using a Kindle in kids mode? I got a kindle for one of my kiddos and it's working fine in kids mode, but since they are under 13 I have to register it under my account and it looks like stuff like recommendations for additional books in a series they are reading are showing up in my amazon account.

Surely Amazon can't be this stupid right?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maneki Neko posted:

Surely Amazon can't be this stupid right?

They have spent two decades and tens of billions of dollars on their recommendation engine that tells you about frying pans for two years after you buy one and asks if you want a subscription plan for usb cables so you tell me.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Just a heads-up to Kindle users:

If you sideload books onto it via usb or email, like when you put your collection of "free" .azw3 ebooks on it, don't let your Kindle connect to the internet. Keep it in airplane mode always.

Why? Because if it connects it'll simply delete all your sideloaded books.

I assume it's some kind of assholish anti-piracy measure. "Use the eReader you paid a lot of money for exclusively for buying books from Amazon, don't use it the way you want, or we'll gently caress you over".

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

PirateBob posted:

If you sideload books onto it via usb or email, like when you put your collection of "free" .azw3 ebooks on it, don't let your Kindle connect to the internet. Keep it in airplane mode always.

I assume it's some kind of assholish anti-piracy measure. "Use the eReader you paid a lot of money for exclusively for buying books from Amazon, don't use it the way you want, or we'll gently caress you over".

Is this a new development? It hasn't happened to me in the past, though I have mostly used a first-gen Paperwhite for sideloading so maybe that's a factor. Also I think most of my sideloads are .mobi files, so maybe that's part of it, too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think something might be hosed with your kindle. I email books to mine all the time, as well as download new stuff to it from the Kindle store, and it hasn't deleted anything I haven't told it to delete.

It's been a while since I tried to sideload anything, but emailing epubs is still working like a champ.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Might be associated with certain firmwares. I have a paperwhite with the latest firmware fwiw.

I searched for the issue on r/kindle and found many similar reports. It's definitely an issue.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I picked up one of those RF clicker thingies (I don't like to touch the reading part of screen) and I like it well enough, so that will increase my options when I replace my Voyage. That kind of thing just confirms that my next eReader won't a kindle.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I bought a lot of 5 3rd gen kindle keyboards off eBay for :20bux: and managed to get 3 working ones from mixing and matching parts. 2 are even 3g models but Amazon seems to have cut off access to those networks I guess. Now to figure out what to do with 3 kindles!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Arson Daily posted:

I bought a lot of 5 3rd gen kindle keyboards off eBay for :20bux: and managed to get 3 working ones from mixing and matching parts. 2 are even 3g models but Amazon seems to have cut off access to those networks I guess. Now to figure out what to do with 3 kindles!

That’s not an Amazon thing, it was the FCC. 3G was shut down and phased out back in 2022 to free up the spectrum for reuse.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I had no idea. Anyway it's a moot point since I only load books via calibre and usb so they never connect to the internet anyway

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know where to get a custom kindle case made? I just want black leather and silver lettering.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Have you checked Etsy?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've seen a bunch of listings but nothing that lets you customize the cover much. There's a lot of leather and you can choose your monogram, or there's "choose between these 4 designs", but not much in the "what would you like to make?" category.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You need to find an Etsy seller making leather cases (not just drop-shipping from Alibaba or slapping on a Cricut sticker) and ask them for a custom order.

I haven't done this for eReader covers specifically but that's how I approach custom orders for other things.

Edit: Like this person https://www.etsy.com/listing/933215..._search_click=1

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 5, 2024

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah if you can find an Etsy seller who is actually making their stuff and not just drop shipping poo poo from China, they're usually open to customizing things for you.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's why I posted, cause I need leads on good people or places to get em from.

Was hoping someone made a bespoke Kindle case or bought one and could tell me "go here" or "email this person".

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

https://www.emmersongray.co.uk make excellent bespoke sleeves but their main material is felt. They have some cases with leather accents… and are very responsive if you write to them with any custom requests.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Has anyone else been using the Boox Palma? Mine arrived a few days ago, and has been great for reading these dead forums.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

How does hello.jpg look on an eInk screen?

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
How’s the experience? I had a box max lumi 2 that I sold and am currently using a rooted Kindle PW2 with KOReader. The Palma is on my list of candidates for next gadget but I’m meh about pulling the trigger.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

eink makes all your hello dreams come true. Koreader works no problems as expected, and looks particularly sharp at such a small size. The backlight on mine is pretty even across; reading at night with Koreader on night mode works really well. The size is perfect for holding in one hand if I’m laying on my side or whatever in bed. It’s super light and very easy to hold/pocket, more comfortable than my iphone+case. And scrolling in the Awful app is the smoothest I’ve ever experienced on eink. So far it’s been all the things I miss about having an iPod with the benefit of a screen that looks amazing even in direct sunlight. I spend so much time staring at bright LCDs all day that having the internet in my hand on an unlit screen feels like a great break.

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
Shoot. That sounds tempting. The jailbroken kindle really hits the dumb device (no apps = no distractions) use case. I do miss the red / blue temperature control on the Boox though… I’m assuming the Palma has it too

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yup it has the same cold/warm lights, doesn’t go quite as dark orange as the Pokes I’ve had but certainly warm enough for me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Has anyone else been using the Boox Palma? Mine arrived a few days ago, and has been great for reading these dead forums.

Best Buy finally restocked them today, so I ordered for next week delivery. Should be great with the Kindle app and Moon+. Curious to see how the document scanning works. It looks like a neat little device.

The Audible app will install and run on this thing, right? It would be nice to use this as a Kindle/Audible/PDF reader. Since it runs Android 11, is it safe to say normal apps will still work on it? I'm not sure how far back Google provides support.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 13, 2024

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I don’t use Audible so not sure there but I would be very surprised if it didn’t work. I haven’t found anything it won’t run so far (obv excluding games). It takes a bit of tweaking the eink settings to get some apps to look best, and don’t expect to watch movies on it. But for any reading it really shines, and even though the Awful isn’t made for eink it looks and functions very well.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The Palma looks interesting but it just reminds me of the fact I upgraded from a pocketable Voyage to a non pocket fitting Oasis :mad:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I was looking at the scribe for an eReader+note taker option (I use lots of legal pads for random writing notes) but I'm seeing a lot of remarkable talk. Is that the better option for writing?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

PirateBob posted:

I came looking for an eReader thread just now because I can't access any of my sideloaded content that I transferred via Calibre about month ago.

My kindle's been in airplane mode since roughly the same time after I grabbed a couple of ebook straight off Amazon, and those have worked fine, but after finishing them and trying to read any non-amazon content, I immediately get errors.

First couple of results on Google show this to be an ongoing thing over the last year that apparently got a lot worse since an Amazon change in policy re: kindle unlimited transfers.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340936&page=5

/edit: I wouldn't really mind if this affected :airquote: not-kosher :airquote: ebooks, but the entirety of what I sideloaded a month ago was stuff from humble-bundle and such, if suddenly none of my non-Amazon purchased ebooks work anymore on my Kindle AND there's a risk that it'll just all get deleted when I switch off airplane mode, then excuse my French, but gently caress all of that noise, yeesh

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 15, 2024

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

I was looking at the scribe for an eReader+note taker option (I use lots of legal pads for random writing notes) but I'm seeing a lot of remarkable talk. Is that the better option for writing?

I can only speak to the remarkable but I’ve found it to be exactly as advertised. A premium is placed in its design for writing feel to the point that there’s no backlight. The writing feel is amazing and the organization file system is adequate at best.

The cons in my mind are that there’s a subscription cost to sync your notes after one year and having to replace the nibs.

The nomad by Supernote is the other competitor I’d consider.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

I came into this thread, and was wondering the same thing as Kingtheninja! Except, where I'm at, Malaysia doesn't seem to have a good option for Remarkable or Supernote stuff so I'm hoping to get more options. Browsing the usual suspects, the only e-reader note takers I found are:
Pocketbook Era - note taking possible, but no pen support I think? Or if there is, it's not obviously stated
Kindle Scribe - has a pen, like double the price of the Era

Not sure what other options are there but more suggestions would be nice! Even if there aren't any hands on reviews, maybe my region might stock them at least

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The other big players are Kobo and Onyx Boox. Onyx makes Android devices, so you can install random apps to do what you want, though it comes with a lot of caveats, in that things often don't work that well in practice. Kobo is closer to the Kindle end of the spectrum where it's pretty closed down. The Elipsa is their note-taking series. I remember that people weren't too impressed with the writing experience itself when it came out.

What else is there... Mobiscribe is probably too small for what you're looking to do. There are also things like Quirklogic Papyr and the Fujitsu Quaderno, which are nice big devices based on a kind of old Sony e-reader/note platform, but I think both are lacking in reading options, so are more aimed at commercial applications.

I'm sure there are some I'm not thinking of.

Both the Kindle Scribe and Remarkable 2 feel very good to write on. Having a light is nice with the Scribe, and if you don't mind buying your books on Amazon, the reading experience is great. If you need to side-load some other ebooks, it could be a pain in the rear end.

When it comes to PDFs, it seems like there are always going to be situations where your device doesn't like the particular formatting of a given document. I've never found one of these things that's bulletproof on that front.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Humble Bundle has a great Terry Pratchett ebook bundle going, but it's limited to Kobo accounts. My Libra 2 doesn't mind :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I also picked it up. 18 bucks for 38 books out of a 41 book series is strong deal. Only bummer is that one of the remaining books is apparently more of an art book with a story surrounding it and there is no ebook publication of it.