Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

free hubcaps posted:

Tankies who go to bat for modern China, one of the most capitalist economies in the world, are especially dumb

But then why is it called the Chinese Communist Party, smart guy?

Klyith posted:

Welp, Taiwan elected the wrong candidate. Time to scramble the jets and ships to do even more "I'm not touching you!" incursions across the straight, maybe launch a few ICBM tests directly over their heads. Enlighten them on how they made the incorrect decision. It was their choice to escalate the situation.

That's how you make someone want to come back to you, right? Threats of violence. Baby why do you make me hurt you.

Rigged and Stollen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Mons Hubris posted:

When I visited last September we were able to link an American card to both WeChat and Alipay, but WeChat was not super reliable. I think that changed with WeChat in like July or August.

So this explains why my old rear end WeChat account from like 2019 no longer worked when we recently tried to connect to a local Mandarin speaking daycare service.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

71% turnout. Jesus, this democracy thing works a whole lot better when it's in peril I suppose

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Having a large aggressive country next door helps a lot. Hong Kong still probably quite fresh how that's gone down the shitter.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Having a dictator in living memory probably also reminds people that democracy is important

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Having a dictator in living memory probably also reminds people that democracy is important

Everyone should elect me as dictator to remind them what it's like and so keep democracy strong :hai:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Strategic Tea posted:

Everyone should elect me as dictator to remind them what it's like and so keep democracy strong :hai:

- recep tayyip erdogan

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

71% turnout. Jesus, this democracy thing works a whole lot better when it's in peril I suppose
*ahem*

TAIWAN #1

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

thetoughestbean posted:

In four years the KMT candidate will be his great grandson, no doubt in my mind

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
it's more like "they threatened us with votes, lets pull out our guns"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Quarrelsome voting behaviour

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Hurting National Pollings

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

North Korea amping up the rhetoric again

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-67990948

I can't believe this still happens after Trump's incredible, personal diplomatic work with Un, it's utterly shocking.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Klyith posted:

Welp, Taiwan elected the wrong candidate. Time to scramble the jets and ships to do even more "I'm not touching you!" incursions across the straight, maybe launch a few ICBM tests directly over their heads. Enlighten them on how they made the incorrect decision. It was their choice to escalate the situation.

That's how you make someone want to come back to you, right? Threats of violence. Baby why do you make me hurt you.

Only tool in the authoritarian despot toolbox.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

free hubcaps posted:

I can't believe this still happens after Trump's incredible, personal diplomatic work with Un, it's utterly shocking.
What a bunch of scare bait bullshit. People keep falling for them every loving time they act threatening

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's funny when living in South Korea, because this has been going on forever so South Koreans give zero fucks and pay no attention to it, but every ten months or so you'll get worried emails from home "we'll buy you a plane ticket!" because North Korea went on a bender again and the media is reporting it as if it matters.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

It's funny when living in South Korea, because this has been going on forever so South Koreans give zero fucks and pay no attention to it, but every ten months or so you'll get worried emails from home "we'll buy you a plane ticket!" because North Korea went on a bender again and the media is reporting it as if it matters.

Yeah this happened to me a bunch in 2008-09.

Funniest family related Korea story I have is when my grandmother tried to send me a care package. She went to the post office and said it needed to go to Korea and the clerk asked her which one and she didn't know. The clerk also couldn't remember which one they were allowed to ship to and had to get out the big book of post office regulations to decide if they should write ROK or DPRK on it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

I got two of those from the Pelosi Taiwan visit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I got a bunch after Kim Jong-il died and North Korea was being hyper-belligerent during the transition. That was the only time I ever heard South Koreans being nervous, that was an unusual level of bugfuck even for North Korea.

I remember there being reporters in Seoul trying to do man on the street interviews with scared Koreans and not being able to find anyone who gave a gently caress.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

free hubcaps posted:

Good, hopefully the South also gives up on this ludicrous BS.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah this happened to me a bunch in 2008-09.

Funniest family related Korea story I have is when my grandmother tried to send me a care package. She went to the post office and said it needed to go to Korea and the clerk asked her which one and she didn't know. The clerk also couldn't remember which one they were allowed to ship to and had to get out the big book of post office regulations to decide if they should write ROK or DPRK on it.

rofl

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
actual top story in korea rn: individual retirement savings accounts

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Willo567 posted:

What a bunch of scare bait bullshit. People keep falling for them every loving time they act threatening

Doesn't the South have its own ministry of reunification staffed by, like, four guys who spend most of their time twiddling their thumbs? They're out of a job.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Stomping around the Hong Kong Heritage Museum today on my layover. Shoutout to whoever mentioned it won’t be around much longer, I’m glad to be able to fit it in.

Off to Best China tomorrow for 4 nights which will be fun. Glad them electing the Wrong candidate didn’t prematurely end my chance to finally visit it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i ate chinese food for dinner

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Museum was cool. I spent about 3-4 hours going through the whole thing. Highlights for me were the Bruce Lee gallery, the Jin Yong gallery, The Reflection (Bauhaus-inspired designer/artist Hon Bing-wah) and the Po Leung Kuk one. I had no idea about the subject matter of any of those except Bruce Lee but they did well to explain it all between exhibits.

Would recommend for a half day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Willo567 posted:

I dunno, guy banned from D&D for fretting that Putin will nuke his balls.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Number go down:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/china-population-declines-second-consecutive-year-rcna134054

Too expensive to gently caress.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Grand Fromage posted:

I love all the tankie dipshits who think China has universal healthcare. It's the exact same system as the US, motherfuckers!! Sure it's cheaper if you're a foreigner making bank by local standards, but if you're a poor Chinese person you're hosed.

wasn't there literally a movie from china about guys smuggling pills

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Nam Taf posted:

Off to Best China tomorrow for 4 nights which will be fun. Glad them electing the Wrong candidate didn’t prematurely end my chance to finally visit it.

taiwan is v cool, enjoy it

what are you planning to do/see?

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Hong Kong stock exchange has fallen to pre -1997 levels, yay

In practical terms this means a lot of pension funds which are tied to the stock market have lost a ton of money

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Wealth loss beyond measure, outlander.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I dunno, guy banned from D&D for fretting that Putin will nuke his balls.

https://twitter.com/chadocl/status/1747537720208187589

This is the dumbest loving analysis I've seen.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Imperialist Dog posted:

Hong Kong stock exchange has fallen to pre -1997 levels, yay

In practical terms this means a lot of pension funds which are tied to the stock market have lost a ton of money

Pension? What are those precious?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/chadocl/status/1747537720208187589

This is the dumbest loving analysis I've seen.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

yugioh mishima posted:

taiwan is v cool, enjoy it

what are you planning to do/see?

I have absolutely no idea. I’m staying with mates, but unsure how much they’ll attempt to be tour guides.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

See if you can get out to Jiufen, that place was an awesome day trip. We visited an old gold mine out there and a cool street running up the mountain that's just tourist traps and street food per square inch and great mountain-side views.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

what on god’s green earth is this bear and why is it everywhere?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's the president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

jiufen is great and especially worth seeing if you like ghibli, it was the inspiration for the town in spirited away

however it will be absolutely full of people if you go on a saturday/sunday and IMO not really worth it if the weather is bad (which it is supposed to be after tomorrow)