Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kerrzhe posted:

Sometimes a story just takes your heart and wrings out the tears and shoves it back in your chest, full of joy of having been able to take part. What a beautiful, touching game. This is another game that made me feel seen

jay rust posted:

I love it because… It is so warm, so compassionate, so genuinely interested in the characters, all two hundred of them. It is beautiful. The story is a real page-turner, and in terms of video game-ness, it does some very interesting things with the visual novel format, and it even comments on games as a medium. Such a rich, and enriching, experience

Amp posted:

It's a masterpiece. It's so funny that my big theme for this year is "games I get to play with friends" and my game of the year is this beautiful single player story. There's just so much care and love and reverence and passion throughout every single part of this game.

wuggles posted:

Sorry three hundred million dollar tentpole superhero blockbuster, were you as good as the game I played with the little illuminated manuscript cartoons talking to each other, where I ate bread as a minigame? No? Too bad.

Naar posted:

really evoked what it would be like to live in that time, with a complex and emotional story. For me, this approached 'work of art' status - kudos to Rope Kid and the rest of the developers.

Owl Inspector posted:

I've never spent so long thinking about what to say in an RPG and considering what the consequences might be for everyone involved. I'm close to illiterate and this got me to spend an hour tabbed out of the game looking at maps of europe and reading about the peasants' revolt of 1524. I cried, more than once.

19. Pentiment (Obsidian) (2022)
116 points. Voted for 14 times. Appeared #1 six times. Average of 8.2
Down by 17 places.

Another of my 2024 must play games. (So is Disco Elysium - do not worry) and I am very happy to see it in the top 20! another huge well done to Ropekid for this ranking so high in 2023's bountiful crop of games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honestly put Mallow in Smash instead, he's the better character.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Was confused at Pentiment being so low, but then remembered it was among those getting top marks last year.

Most curious to see where that one Rhythm game that everybody liked ends up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
veeg if you don’t play Pentiment by the end of Feb so HELP ME GOD

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yesss! So pleased to see Pentiment continue to get love this year, and I hope it keeps cropping up in these threads for years to come ala Disco Elysium. It's so, so good!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also just wanna say I love the badges, even if they don't have Kirby on them :)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Gotta play pentiment one of these days

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Also just wanna say I love the badges, even if they don't have Kirby on them :)

Thank you :3: I was a little worried.
I do have plans for 2024, I just was not able to make it work in time this year.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Pentiment was my GOTY 2022 and I'm glad to see it still get a lot of love.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I will play Pentiment if it ever comes to ps5 or whatever or just watch veeg stream it whichever comes first (hard to say)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

one of the best games to come out this year, and it didn't even get nominated for Best Indie because Geoff Keighley is a hack who doesn't know what indie games are.

Grinnblade posted:

Great music, tight controls, incredible attention to detail in creating A LOT of distinct animations for every character in the game. It feels weird to put this game at #1 when I beat it back in February and haven't touched it since, but a replay is never very far from the front of my mind even as I work through some of the other things I've wanted to get to this year and prepare for some of 2024's releases.

Einwand posted:

The best platformer I’ve played in many years. The controls are flawless and have levels of depth just sitting there waiting for you to dig in if you wish on your quest to P rank every stage & boss, or if you want you can just have a goofy romp through the weirdness

grapplejack posted:

I 100%ed this game and then went back and played it again, which should be all you need to know.

18. Pizza Tower (Tour De Pizza) (2023)
119 Points. Voted for 17 times. Appeared #1 four times. Average of 7

What if, hear me out, Wario owned a pizzeria?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:hellyeah:

Listen to this remix!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCyBKcikfLU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is definitely one of those games on my list to pick up once I have cleared at least a bit of my backlog, but I also assume it's a game I am going to be TERRIBLE at.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Can't praise this game enough. My absolute favorite title of the year. Great characters, and story that adds onto the previous game and grows the returning characters and world.

omg chael crash posted:

I just love both Star Wars and Cameron Monaghan.

ShakeZula posted:

Once I finished it I said to myself “I think this is my GOTY,” and nothing I played the rest of the year made me reconsider.

17. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (Respawn) (2023)
124 points. Voted for 19 times. Appeared #1 three times. Average of 6.5

Hearing the sequel is apparently way better than the first proves that one cannot be sick of all these Star Wars!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pizza Tower was a big disappointment for me because I actually wanted something that played like Wario Land and not something focused on speed and combos, but it’s objectively pretty fantastic and it looks and sounds amazing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked Jedi Survivor but I’m shocked it placed so high, drat

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

This is definitely one of those games on my list to pick up once I have cleared at least a bit of my backlog, but I also assume it's a game I am going to be TERRIBLE at.

Honestly I think it's soundtrack of the year as well, just absolutely amazing. RichaadEB's covers have been my hype songs for raiding in Dragonflight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMVFI8HRZLI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysDv3rcJdR0

So it's OK to be crap at it, I know I am, if it means listening to the absolutely baller soundtrack

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Escobarbarian posted:

Pizza Tower was a big disappointment for me because I actually wanted something that played like Wario Land and not something focused on speed and combos, but it’s objectively pretty fantastic and it looks and sounds amazing.

You're gonna like anton blast or whatever that other one is.

Also I played jedi survivor in december. I'm not sure it's gonna make my top ten for 2024 either.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah this is why I haven't played it, I don't think it will actually appeal to me. I wanna explore and find secrets not have to go fast.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Jedi Survivor is on my list of things to pick up at some point this year

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Ineffiable posted:

You're gonna like anton blast or whatever that other one is.

Also I played jedi survivor in december. I'm not sure it's gonna make my top ten for 2024 either.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1887400/ANTONBLAST/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ibblebibble posted:

Pentiment was my GOTY 2022 and I'm glad to see it still get a lot of love.

Exactly this. Ink and quill, friend, ink and quill.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I enjoyed Jedi Fallen Order so definitely hoping to get a shot at the new one sometime this year... but there are SO MANY GAMES ::stonklol:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mamkute posted:

Curtain Call was at 2nd place on my 2020 list and this game is an expanded and enhanced version of that gameplay experience on the television screen.

seedge posted:

The best Final Fantasy Guitar Hero RPG you'll ever play.

morallyobjected posted:

If you like rhythm games and Square's music, there's just simply zero reason not to pick this game up. Even if you don't get it on sale, it's absolutely worth it. I have over 200 hours in it this year. I wish they'd make similar games for other developers, like Nintendo. But for now, this is all we have, and even then, it's perfect.

16. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (Indiezero) (2023)
131 points. Voted for 25 times. Appeared #1 three times. Average of 5.2

This game is incredible! The only reason I have played 15% of it is because I need to play the games the music comes from first!! If you know these games then bathe in this game!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

There it is!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

VideoGames posted:

16. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (Indiezero) (2023)
131 points. Voted for 25 times. Appeared #1 three times. Average of 5.2

This game is incredible! The only reason I have played 15% of it is because I need to play the games the music comes from first!! If you know these games then bathe in this game!

this game is so good. super deluxe version full price no regrets baybeeeeee

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I'm in chapter 2 of Pentiment and I couldn't love it any more than I do.

I started a new game and handed it to my friend last Friday and he (very minor spoilers) sat and thought about whether to Martin Luther it up with Baron Rothvogel for 15 loving minutes. "Man, this got a lot more serious than I thought it was going to!" And that was just the appetizer to, "So, you monks want to debate Luther's ideas with me? What do you say, Andreas?"

Much bigger spoiler: I'm a loving idiot and spent the time I should have been examining the body making friends with a completely hateful old widow and doing dumb chores for her, and as a result when it came time to talk to the archdeacon I didn't really have a solid lead on who actually did it. So I just told him everything I'd learned, leaving out the brutalized nun, and Lucky Steinauer got executed for the crime. I kinda felt bad but then my friend did the body examination and turns out the Baron died of his loving head getting smashed open by someone very strong using a mallet so maybe justice was done after all?

Also, Slay the Princess. I had my friend play this one also and his run was extremely different from mine, though we got the same ending. I understand there are like five or six different endings but my first playthrough was so beautiful, haunting, and memorable that I don't know if I ever even want to see any of them. Gotta admit though, I'm a little curious was to what happens if you just unrelentingly choose violence and nothing but violence the entire game.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hats off to Final Bar Line. I only wish it could get updates and DLC forever.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

vogonity posted:

Swinging around the buildings in NYC is just marvelous. It never gets old.

Simulation883 posted:

Devoured the game and platted it in a little over a week. And after that I still kept playing through December, that traversal and fighting loop was just that fun to chill and kill time.

Thordain posted:

Miles and Peter have a fun dynamic, the game never sits still long enough to get boring, and flying over New York rules.

15. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (Insomniac) (2023)
159 points. Voted for 29 times. Appeared #1 once. Average of 5.4

Friendly, neighbourhood, web slinging, web swinging, fifteenth placed game!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I want to play Slay the Princess before I get spoiled, but now I know that there’s a revised version coming so I want to wait for that. Augh!

Starting to think I might need to try Pizza Tower too…

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JonathonSpectre posted:

Oh man, I'm jealous, there's nothing quite like the first time through and the gnawing uncertainty that you missed something vital. What a game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Spider-Man 2 has the best video game movement since Spider-Man 2

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JonathonSpectre posted:

I started a new game and handed it to my friend last Friday and he (very minor spoilers) sat and thought about whether to Martin Luther it up with Baron Rothvogel for 15 loving minutes. "Man, this got a lot more serious than I thought it was going to!" And that was just the appetizer to, "So, you monks want to debate Luther's ideas with me? What do you say, Andreas?"

Much bigger spoiler: I'm a loving idiot and spent the time I should have been examining the body making friends with a completely hateful old widow and doing dumb chores for her, and as a result when it came time to talk to the archdeacon I didn't really have a solid lead on who actually did it. So I just told him everything I'd learned, leaving out the brutalized nun, and Lucky Steinauer got executed for the crime. I kinda felt bad but then my friend did the body examination and turns out the Baron died of his loving head getting smashed open by someone very strong using a mallet so maybe justice was done after all?

Also, Slay the Princess. I had my friend play this one also and his run was extremely different from mine, though we got the same ending. I understand there are like five or six different endings but my first playthrough was so beautiful, haunting, and memorable that I don't know if I ever even want to see any of them. Gotta admit though, I'm a little curious was to what happens if you just unrelentingly choose violence and nothing but violence the entire game.

Imo a big part of the fun of slay the princess is seeing all the different princess variations so I would really recommend playing it again and trying more things.

Of course I also don't think much of the overarching narrative so the endings weren't really a major component of my enjoyment.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Quip of the Year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry5s1mW1xEM&t=2s

Game does Venom and Kraven justice. Hype for the eventual NG+ update.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Quip of the Year

knew what that was gonna be before I clicked it :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Quip of the Year

Perfect ending :allears:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sally posted:

This was gaming bliss for me. Absolutely loved it. Devoured the game and replayed it. Blitzed through the first DLC when it dropped too.

kazaah posted:

The plot takes some wild swings, but it's all very consistent, and there's a lot of payoff for remembering the fine details. It really encourages you to learn the plot, you know? And you feel like a genius once you do.

jolo posted:

I adored this game. Unraveling the individual stories and the motivations of the characters involved was magical. I am an absolute sucker for this sort of game and this is the best of its kind if you ask me.

bad news panda posted:

My partner and I played through this and each of its DLC's in about 1-2 days each and couldn't put it down. The mysteries can be challenging, but not to the point where you have to guess and check yourself, and tell a really fun overall story surrounding the mysterious artifact.

CuriousSymptoms posted:

Absolutely brilliant experience, with intriguing and compelling storytelling wrapped up in satisfying detective mechanics. The art style gives it a genuinely creepy and uncanny atmosphere.

14. The Case of the Golden Idol (Color Gray Games) (2022)
159 points. Voted for 29 times. Appeared #1 twice. Average of 5.4
Up by 22 places.

So many times you want to write curse, but it is not curse it is case. Case. Not Curse.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't played the DLC for that game yet

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

And it even has a demo version to try on steam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

So many times you want to write curse, but it is not curse it is case. Case. Not Curse.

it is the curse of case of the golden idol