Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's one game that I'm kind of surprised is this high since I felt like a lot of people didn't like it as much as I did. But I keep double checking the lower list and it's definitely not on there so, guess we'll see how high it gets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Golden Idol was on my list last year and it was the only game even trying to scratch that Obra Dinn itch. Clearly it has done well for the dev because after a game and 2 DLCs, they've got a sequel coming out this year means they're either easy to make, sell well, or both. I'll keep playing em as long as they want to make more!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

There's one game that I'm kind of surprised is this high since I felt like a lot of people didn't like it as much as I did. But I keep double checking the lower list and it's definitely not on there so, guess we'll see how high it gets!

don't worry, Galgun 2 is definitely making the top 10

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

looper posted:

There are people who will tell you Engage has great gameplay but a story better off ignored. Those people are wrong. Fire Emblem Engage was an absolute delight and I'm so happy to know that those devs, not only do they still got it, they love Fire Emblem even more than me.

endorph posted:

it really executes on what it wants to be: a celebration of the series, a fun game to play, and an enjoyable thing to spend time with.

cheetah7071 posted:

judging a new entry by how similar it is to the previous entry is foolish, no matter how beloved that entry is. You have to judge it for what it is.

And what it is is the best SRPG maps I've ever played.

inu posted:

I'm actually not going to say much more because I would be repeating some of the posts that came before this with the same praise. But to sum it up, the gameplay is just REALLY REALLY fun.

13. Fire Emblem Engage (Intelligent Systems) (2023)
186 points. Voted for 28 times. Appeared #1 four times. Average of 6.6

You best all engage your time in this if you enjoy SRPGs.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

don't worry, Galgun 2 is definitely making the top 10

thank god

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

13. Fire Emblem Engage (Intelligent Systems) (2023)
186 points. Voted for 28 times. Appeared #1 four times. Average of 6.6

You best all engage your time in this if you enjoy SRPGs.

Lmao and there it is. Not quite top 10 alas, but respectable.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

For a list that didn't include BG3 or TOTK I'm surprised just how many things I listed haven't shown up yet.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Oh no, I'm caught up! Cool to see me in the blurbs for Wo Long though. :hehe:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

The gameplay loop of exploring for treasure and resources, upgrading your gear and fighting not zombies hasn't aged one bit.

baggot posted:

it hooked me for the entire rollercoaster ride and I loved every minute, even when I struggled against some of the game’s hardest content. An excessively generous and polished package from start to finish.

KayKessler posted:

However, this is the game I think the most about, the game I most love watching people I know play for the first time, and the game I myself have replayed the most. It is unquestionably my game of the year.

12. Resident Evil 4 Remake (Capcom) (2023)
209 points. Voted for 39 times. Appeared #1 twice. Average of 5.3

A ton of points but mostly around the bottom of the lists, however it was the clear best remake on the list and deserves the award! Congratulations Leon!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Paying2Lurk posted:

Oh no, I'm caught up! Cool to see me in the blurbs for Wo Long though. :hehe:

I'm still waiting to show up in the blurbs...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm still waiting to show up in the blurbs...

Same....

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Place-for-place points seem quite a bit higher than last year. I wonder if things were more condensed or just higher turnout than 2022.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Curious to see what the game with the highest overall average is, especially as we head towards the top 10. The highest one so far is Hollow Knight, averaging at 8.8, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey look, it's that game!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jossar posted:

Curious to see what the game with the highest overall average is, especially as we head towards the top 10. The highest one so far is Hollow Knight, averaging at 8.8, right?

Hollow Knight is the highest average, there was an award for it and everything

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jossar posted:

Well considering that it won an award for highest average, my guess is Hollow Knight had the highest average.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've never Fired an Emblem, I should try one

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

And yet in this single ludicrous year, my personal best was one of the very first to come out, with no fanfare, no foreshadowing, and no precedent.

webmeister posted:

Everything comes together perfectly – visual design, soundtrack, gameplay. Enjoyable boss fights and fantastic style; hard to believe it came out of literally nowhere

Ms Adequate posted:

Out of nowhere on a cold January day, Tango Gameworks - the guys who made The Evil Within and Ghostwire: Tokyo, released a game. There was no forewarning. There was also no reason to anticipate they would be doing something so radically different but holy poo poo did they drop a banger.

11. Hi-Fi Rush (Tango Gameworks) (2023)
211 points. Voted for 33 times. Appeared #1 twice. Average of 6.3

Another game where when finding artwork I was utterly enthralled by what I was seeing and the words used made me mighty curious. I suspect it will have legs.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Ah, whoops. Guess it's been couple hours since I read the Hollow Knight post. Proceed to justly clown on me until the next ranking's up.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 13, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Great to see it so high but man I wish Hi-Fi Rush had cracked the Top 10, it was such a pleasant surprise of a game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Great to see it so high but man I wish Hi-Fi Rush had cracked the Top 10, it was such a pleasant surprise of a game.

Yeah I was expecting it to crack the Top 10.

Came out of literally nowhere and was just an absolute blast

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Hell yeah let the top 10 begin :getin:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Next up - Gollum!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cannot believe FFXVI made it to the top 10, as someone who ranked it in his top 10

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arist posted:

Cannot believe FFXVI made it to the top 10, as someone who ranked it in his top 10

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Arist posted:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish Hi Fi Rush clicked with me. I couldn't get into it at all but it's cool to see something unique and original hit such a high slot regardless.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anno posted:

Place-for-place points seem quite a bit higher than last year. I wonder if things were more condensed or just higher turnout than 2022.

Higher turnout for sure, and higher number of games, but I don’t think we’ve seen Wayne or whoever do the distribution math yet.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So that was numbers 60 to 11.

An absolute ton of enticement within those fantastic quotes. I have been exclusively getting words said by people who gave the highest marks to the games that made the list (so apologies if, like me, you gave Twilight Princess a 10 and it did not appear anywhere that could be quoted!)

For those who want a quick summing up the games are as follows:

60. Lost Judgment
59. Neon White
58. Metroid Prime Remastered
57. Star Ocean The Second Story R
56. Outer Wilds
55. Remnant II
54. Jagged Alliance 3
53. Astlibra Revision
52. Hollow Knight
51. Live a Live
50. Hunt Showdown
49. Wo Long Fallen Dynasty
48. Citizen Sleeper
47. Signalis
46. Yakuza Like A Dragon
45. Rogue Trader
44. Like a Dragon Garden: The Man Who Erased His Name
43. Cocoon
42. System Shock Remake
41. Misericorde Volume 1
40. Dwarf Fortress SE
39. Strangers of Paradise
38. Persona 5 Royal
37. Void Stranger
36. Dead Space Remake
35. Cassette Beasts
34. Xenoblades Chronicles 3
33. Final Fantasy VII Remake
32. David the Diver
31. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
30. Pikmin 4
29. My Time at Sandrock
28. Diablo IV
27. Ghost Trick
26. Talos Principle 2
25. Midnight Suns
24. Against the Storm
23. Elden Ring
22. Slay the Princess
21. Disco Elysium
20. Super Mario RPG
19. Pentiment
18. Pizza Tower
17. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
16. Theatrhymtnh Final Bar Line
15. Spider-man 2
14. The Case of the Golden Idol
13. Fire Emblem Engage
12. Resident Evil 4 Remake
11. Hi-Fi Rush

Some of those you have got to play.
Some of those I have got to play.

Two previous GOTYT winners making a great showing and Disco Elysium keeping an unbroken 5 year record of getting in the main list and scoring over 100 points each time. How does it do it?

But this is not the end of the list, oh no. We have 10 left and the way they shake out will hopefully keep you smiling! :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was definitely expecting Hi-Fi Rush to crack the top 10. But AWWWW poo poo LET’S DO THIS

veeg you had better have ate something

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Top Ten time, baby! :woop:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGames posted:

Theatrhymtnh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BG3 #1

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Think about it this way instead - Hi-Fi Rush scored higher than both Elden Ring and Disco Elysium

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
4 of my top ten made the top ten, unsurprised that they were the ones.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Think about it this way instead - Hi-Fi Rush scored higher than both Elden Ring and Disco Elysium

Hi-Fi Rush is a juggernaut that cannot be stopped! :aaa:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

2022 & 2019 releases respectively, to be fair.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I was definitely expecting Hi-Fi Rush to crack the top 10. But AWWWW poo poo LET’S DO THIS

veeg you had better have ate something

I had some crisps :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Will Kombat beat out Street Fighter? :munch: