Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Here we are.
The cream of this years crop and boy do we have enough to fill a dairy.

These ten games are what you all loved more than anything else and while there was no extreme number sheering like last year (Elden Ring, you will recall, was over a thousand ahead of number 2) there is certainly enough to establish who wins overall.

Though, we do have a few close encounters coming up. One more list one way and we could see a slightly different bottom five! So let us continue to game #10!

Bugblatter posted:

I went from thinking it looked like derivative trash, to being open to it possibly being decent, to being blown away by the final quality.

haveblue posted:

If you had told me at the end of the year that the Pinocchio Souls game was actually so good that it compared favorably to some of From’s own output, I might have thought you were insane. And yet here we are.

zinkraptor posted:

A lot of people were surprised by there being an edgy Pinocchio soulslike. I wasn't, there's soulslikes based on everything these days. The fact that it was really good, however, caught me off guard. Despite the absurdity, this is one of the best soulslikes I've played.

ultrachrist posted:

Every weapon is made up of a blade and hilt and you can mix and match. You switch out different versions of your mechanical arm to do various cool poo poo. The world is superbly designed, every element with thought and care.

pomeron posted:

I don't think there's a part of this game I didn't like.

ErrEff posted:

I can't praise this game enough. It certainly isn't for everyone, but I never imagined it'd be laser-targeted towards me.

lordfrikk posted:

...what? I would never expect this to even make the list at all not to mention stay in my memory so fondly I'd put it this high, and yet!! The studio did so well in all aspects that I can hardly find any faults with it. Great combat and cool enemy designs, smooth performance, and atmospheric music.

10. Lies of P (Round 8) (2023)
251 points. Voted for 33 times. Appeared #1 seven times. Average of 7.6

Always lovely to get a surprise such as this. What else do we have in the public domain that could be turned into a good soulslike...Mickey Mouse? Nah... but maybe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still got five of my top 10 to go hell yeah

Not sure about all of the others but Street Fighter and FF16 will be in there which leaves three slots that are a mystery to me!

e: OH Lies of P of course

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I had some crisps :)

VG...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I really gotta get around to Lies of P

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

VideoGames posted:

Probably the wrong kind of Monster Munch, I know what you're like

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dang, I was NOT expecting Lies of P to be so low. I would have thought it to be Top 3 for sure.

Never the less, well done Pinocchio Chalamet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lies of P is easily the biggest surprise of the year

Also VG I dunno how to tell you this but... Pinocchio is not a fairy tale

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Been a lazy boy and def need to play Lies of P soon, especially from how much Bloodborne vibes it gives me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am going to be starting Lies of P fairly soon. I only haven’t yet because I know if I get into it it’ll take over my life and I’m still tryna watch some shows

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Will Kombat beat out Street Fighter? :munch:

You should be jailed for this post.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I'm surprised it looks like Phantom Liberty made the top ten, unless it wasn't counted for being DLC or was in the big wad of constellation prize games and I missed it. It deserves it for sure I just didn't notice that much buzz. My other picks will be not surprising at all.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Regy Rusty posted:

Lies of P is easily the biggest surprise of the year

Also VG I dunno how to tell you this but... Pinocchio is not a fairy tale

It literally has a fairy in it. Advantage: Veeg.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

AceOfFlames posted:

Dang, I was NOT expecting Lies of P to be so low. I would have thought it to be Top 3 for sure.

Never the less, well done Pinocchio Chalamet.

Just too many great games out in 2023. Maybe it'll show up again pretty high for 2024

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Guys, if Midnight Suns can rocket up the charts the following year, the same thing better happen for Lies of P in the 2024 thread.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Well poo poo I thought Lies of P would be higher. Best Bloodborne of 2023 for sure.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

Do we have to send lvg after you?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Lies of P(inochio) got the biggest... And I Mean Biggest rolleyes from me for the completely ridiculous use of an IP.
Worst game on that account since the Dante's Inferno.

Game itself was nice. Souls games aren't my cup, but there's free demo and I enjoyed it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lies of P being touted as being very Bloodborne like reminds me.... release Bloodborne on Steam you cowards! :argh:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Darke GBF posted:

Well poo poo I thought Lies of P would be higher. Best Bloodborne of 2023 for sure.

As soon as you said that, I got a twinge of panic and dashed to the Below Top 50 list and was relieved to see Lords of the Fallen 2023 there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, stuff that hasn't appeared yet:

Alan Wake II
TotK
Baldur's Gate 3
Armored Core VI
Street Fighter 6
Super Mario Wonder
Final Fantasy XVI

Missing two here

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
The little non-From Soulslike that could.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Alan Wake II
TotK
Baldur's Gate 3
Armored Core VI
Street Fighter 6
Super Mario Wonder
Final Fantasy XVI

Missing two here

Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

As soon as you said that, I got a twinge of panic and dashed to the Below Top 50 list and was relieved to see Lords of the Fallen 2023 there.

Lords of the Fallen stood no chance against the twink puppet in his cute little sailor suit

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

lord packinham posted:

quickly becoming one of the best developers out there. If they figure out how to make really good combat than they would be unstoppable.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yet somehow it doesn't just rise above these problems but entirely transcends them to become the sort of metatextual narrative I will be turning over in my mind for years.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

IT's the unapologetically weird flavour of this game that speaks to me, combined with some of the most striking narrative and direction I've ever seen in a videogame aping realism. The pretentious side of me likes to think I love this game because it's some sort of meta-commentary on writing, fame, and video games as a medium. It's really because I have a deep love for the Pacific Northwest and Finland.

SirSamVimes posted:

a game I love more. It has been thirteen years coming, a game that finnish developer Sam Lake (and his company Remedy) have been trying to make for over a decade and he has spent the entire time cooking. The game is filled with so much love. From the characters to the writing to the visuals to the stupid live-action sections that Remedy squeezes into literally everything they touch.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

When I started this game I knew it was going to be special. There are moments in this game that I legit had to pause after finishing the chapter, let the song and "end credits" of the chapter just wash over me. And hit up my group chats and call some friends and freak out about what had just happened.

Nail Rat posted:

tayed with me like nothing else in this year of great games. And I wanted to always get to what insane scene was next, and it was always more than worth any frustrations I had with the game. I consider three parts of this game worth mentioning in the same sentence as the Ashtray Maze. After Control and this, I'll buy anything Remedy puts out sight unseen.

Jokymi posted:

I don’t think it would be possible for me to put anything else in this spot. Since finishing it, this game has stuck with me in a way that few games ever have. I don't think there's much that I can say about it beyond that.

aipsh posted:

An absolute work of art. A mixed-media interrogation of what art is, what it is to make art, and the pretentiousness of making art, and the sheer unbridled fun, silliness and audacity of making art.

Dewgy posted:

Masterpiece. Wonderful. Awesome. Scary. Hilarious. It’s everything I loved about the first game but better.

09. Alan Wake II (Remedy) (2023)
253 points. Voted for 33 times. Appeared #1 eleven times. Average of 7.7

Control was amazing, and hearing people gush about this solidifies that this is a must play and deserves the spot.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Darke GBF posted:

Lords of the Fallen stood no chance against the twink puppet in his cute little sailor suit

:hai:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No matter how much people like Lies of P I just cannot get over how much it feels like borderline plagiarism. Also true of Lords of The Fallen but people seemed to like that one way less.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty

And Octopath II is probably the last one

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Wish AW2 ranked a lot higher but glad it made top ten!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

Alan Wake II
TotK
Baldur's Gate 3
Armored Core VI
Street Fighter 6
Super Mario Wonder
Final Fantasy XVI

Missing two here

Gonna just forget about Octopath 2 huh? I see how it is

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Huh. Surprised it didn't make top 5 with how effusive the praise was for it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

ALAN WAKE 2 - The Finnish Story in 5 Jifs:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regy Rusty posted:

Gonna just forget about Octopath 2 huh? I see how it is

I remembered! Eventually!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
WOW I really thought Alan Wake would be higher

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

No matter how much people like Lies of P I just cannot get over how much it feels like borderline plagiarism. Also true of Lords of The Fallen but people seemed to like that one way less.

Plagiarism of who?? FromSoft? They don't have copyright on a genre

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Wish AW2 ranked a lot higher but glad it made top ten!

I'm blaming the fact that it came out near the end of the year. In fact, I was very pleasantly surprised to see it do so well in the Game Awards, given how recent it was.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Regy Rusty posted:

Plagiarism of who?? FromSoft? They don't have copyright on a genre
What's an FPS? They're all just Doom clones. :colbert:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Issaries posted:

ALAN WAKE 2 - The Finnish Story in 5 Jifs:

The Koskela brothers are the best characters in the game and it's not even loving close

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Escobarbarian posted:

WOW I really thought Alan Wake would be higher

Seriously! I thought Top 5 for sure.... and that's purely on buzz, I haven't even played it myself!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jossar posted:

Huh. Surprised it didn't make top 5 with how effusive the praise was for it.

It's because I haven't had a chance to play it yet, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Dang Alan Wake 2 isn’t even the highest ranked game that you need to finish multiple times for the whole story.