Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Only 2 points between Lies of P and Alan Wake 2 :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Alan Wake 2 was cool as an experience but I did not like almost any part of actually playing the game, unfortunately. I'm looking forward to Control 2 though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Regy Rusty posted:

Plagiarism of who?? FromSoft? They don't have copyright on a genre

They do have copyright on making that genre good tho, apparently

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously! I thought Top 5 for sure.... and that's purely on buzz, I haven't even played it myself!

Regy Rusty posted:

It's because I haven't had a chance to play it yet, sorry

You're part of the problem. Get playing! :argh:

But seriously. It is a EPIC exclusive on PC, which limits its success a lot.
Also it has a bit weird game reputation, which doesn't gel with everyone. But if you like this kinda storygames, you really love it.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Regy Rusty posted:

Lies of IP

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Only 2 points between Lies of P and Alan Wake 2 :stare:

It's my fault, I missed the part of the rules that said you had to do a write up for each entry for it to count. In my defense I had just came back from a VERY exhausting holiday with my family.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't respond seriously to someone who acts like they don't know what I am talking about when the thing in question is that egregious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

It's my fault, I missed the part of the rules that said you had to do a write up for each entry for it to count. In my defense I had just came back from a VERY exhausting holiday with my family.

See everybody, EVERY vote counts!

Edit: I hope the holiday was fun in addition to being exhausting though!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you're voting for Lies of P, STAY IN LINE

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ColdPie posted:

I've always wanted to "get into" a fighting game, and this one finally did it for me. Excellent gameplay, solid netcode, good matchmaking. Easily my favorite game of the year.

Failboattootoot posted:

Didn't want to stop playing so I actually stepped into ranked play, which wasn't something I expected to do. And... I had a great time! It really brought back all the fun memories and excitement I used to feel fighting rando's in an arcade. The feelings of triumph from winning a close match were so fuckin good, and then slamming the rematch button to go again.

Heavy Metal posted:

Anyhoo, this ruled so much, my fav in a long time, and I did like 5. 6 is just so fresh, and I love the new modern control scheme, it felt like it arrived at the perfect time for me.

Foul Fowl posted:

i played the gently caress out of this game. i played it with my friends, i got to master rank online, and i went to locals and smoked some rear end like it was grass before i got rolled up and inhaled in one pull by people who are actually good.

Shinji2015 posted:

Capcom has established the new standard for fighting games

Phantasium posted:

I’m not even sure the reasons I’ve provided are the reason why I got into this game in particular. I just know that one of these games finally drew me in far enough to play multiplayer as the main game mode I touch, and it deserves all the praise in the world for that.

KidDynamite posted:

Incredibly well balanced and welcoming to new comers. This game is really good and probably has redefined the fighting game genre. I really want to see more people playing and watching these games because I really think they're some of the highest ceilings of skill in gaming.

Weird Sandwich posted:

so welcoming, with it's lengthy World Tour mode that gradually teaches fighting game concepts, to it's Smash Bros like Modern control setting, that I knew I had to give it a try. And it worked! It got me in, and I didn't even end up using the new modern controls either. But just having them there as a fallback option was enough of a mental liferaft to get me to stick to the game.

Dreamless posted:

There were too many good games this year to give them all the attention they deserved, but if I'm honest it wasn't Zelda or Baldur's Gate that stole that time. I was fighting in the streets.

08. Street Fighter VI (Capcom) (2023)
255 points. Voted for 36 times. Appeared #1 ten times. Average of 7.1

Fighting games are back baybee! Apparently the yakuza style street fighting mode is joy in video game form! Time to bust out the fight stick peripherals!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

FATALITY!
oops wrong game series.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

veni veni veni posted:

I can't respond seriously to someone who acts like they don't know what I am talking about when the thing in question is that egregious.
Nobody know what you're talking about, dude.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2 points between Lies of P and Alan Wake 2. 2 points between Alan Wake 2 and Street Fighter 6 :shepface:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Praying that enough people get into Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising (there's a free version!!!) that it gets to be as high up as SF6 got in 2024.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Did Mortal Kombat defeat Street Fighter??

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Point totals are so loving close jesus

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Apparently the yakuza style street fighting mode is joy in video game form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FDXpK5PHD4

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just realized I don't know if Mortal Kombat 1 is on the list???

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
I bought a cheap chinese hitbox controller, Street Fighter 6, and I'm working my way through bronze playing as homeless Ken (Hobo Ken? Hoboken?). I can actually do real moves in classic control scheme, although I cant really do combos that have more than like 3 hits intentionally. Game is a lot of fun and also rage-inducing.

I don't see any reason why I cant get better. Sticks were impossible for me to do fighting game inputs on, and quarter circle turns were literally on par with brain surgery or grandmaster-tier violin playing. The hitbox makes them much easier, and has demystified much of what kept me from enjoying fighting games in the past. Anyway, Street Fighter 6 a cool game so far. Fights in the streets.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God :lol:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Phenotype posted:

Did Mortal Kombat defeat Street Fighter??

Lol it has 3 consolation points

See page 40

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

lol okay

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

My biggest beef with Street Fighters:
Capcom should get on with the times and admit that no one has gamepads with 6 face buttons.
Just reduce the button # to just 4 like everyone else.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Lol it has 3 consolation points

See page 40

Hahah omg seriously? I forget how the totals break down, I voted it as #6 I think. I can't believe it didn't get into the top 20, I didn't even think to look for it in the lower ranked games.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Phenotype posted:

Hahah omg seriously? I forget how the totals break down, I voted it as #6 I think. I can't believe it didn't get into the top 20, I didn't even think to look for it in the lower ranked games.

Upon review, I think the number of points it got is wrong, but it still wouldn't have placed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just wanna know what Lies of P is plagiarising

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, the real injustice is clearly that if you add up all the points all the versions of Hitman get it would have placed, and since World of Assassination consolidated all those versions, that should count as one game!!!!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

MZ posted:

I wish there was more of it, aside from that it's about a near-faultless game as you can get.

Nitsuga posted:

in addition to top notch music and controls, they added brilliant visuals to the mix. Truly a sight to behold. The gameplay hasn't let me down either

xedo posted:

it still goes down as a contender for one of the best Mario games of all time in my book.

Zaggitz posted:

from amazing music and sound design, to the art style, to the new bespoke animations every character gets for every little thing, is best in class for a 2d platformer.

aquaticrabbit posted:

Insanely creative with some bangers in the soundtrack. Don't sleep on the local multiplayer. Had a blast playing with my wife and niece

07. Super Mario Wonder (Nintendo) (2023)
269 points. Voted for 49 times. Average of 5.5

No #1s is a shame, but it is clear that this is the #1 2D Mario platforming game of the last two decades! I 100%ed it and every single part was a delight. If this is the future of 2D Mario, we are in for a good time! These last four games point totals have been super close but as with all years, things are going to start widening up. These places could all have switched around with a few more lists.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, wow, I'm shocked some of these games are hanging in there for this long. Either Octopath II or FFXVI or both made it into the top 5, that's nuts.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No first places for Mario Wonder……the power of 2023 in gaming…..

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I really gotta dive back into Mario Wonder one day soon. It was one of the games I feel like I just didn't have time for last year, played it a few hours and then dropped it for something else even though I could tell it was pretty good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Arist posted:

Okay, wow, I'm shocked some of these games are hanging in there for this long. Either Octopath II or FFXVI or both made it into the top 5, that's nuts.

Absolutely bonkers i honestly wasn't expecting any surprises this year but here we are

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Escobarbarian posted:

I just wanna know what Lies of P is plagiarising
Knowing goons? The Adventures of Pinocchio (1883)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Arist posted:

Anyway, the real injustice is clearly that if you add up all the points all the versions of Hitman get it would have placed, and since World of Assassination consolidated all those versions, that should count as one game!!!!!

People did note down specific versions of hitman when they listed them. This is why I seperated them out - and Rarity made the rules way back when about seperates so I gotta follow :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

it truly is the year of rpgs from japan

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really love it when a game can place so high despite not having no #1s, it goes to show that it's something with widespread appeal to me, maybe not the BEST game somebody played all year but a game that so many people have nothing but happy memories of/feelings for. It's... nice :)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wonder is so so good. Just a delight to play.

Def expected it in the Top 5 for sure though!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arist posted:

Agreed. Especially considering the wildly mixed reception to the latter.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Alan wake so high, thread failed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

fridge corn posted:

Absolutely bonkers i honestly wasn't expecting any surprises this year but here we are

I mean, I wasn't expecting Final Fantasy XVI to rank this high, but everybody that I've heard talking about Octopath II loved it, so didn't seem like that much a surprise to me.