Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s absolutely insane that at the beginning of the generation Nintendo released a new Zelda game that remains a high point of open world gaming that people have taken inspiration from every year since. then at the very end of the generation they did it again, in a different way but somehow using the map/controls/engine/world from the first

TotK is a miracle of game design

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VideoGames posted:

01. BLOODBORNE (FromSoftware) (2015)
A BILLION POINTS, ALL THE TENS, ALL THE VOTES, EYES ON THE INSIDE

:hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Regy Rusty posted:

yeah i was hooping and hollering throughout

Realizing that Link was getting a chance to catch Zelda's hand that he missed at the start of the game was :kiss:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

VideoGames posted:

01. BLOODBORNE (FromSoftware) (2015)
A BILLION POINTS, ALL THE TENS, ALL THE VOTES, EYES ON THE INSIDE

I know this is a joke but this literally would have either been #1 or #2 for me this year and may actually as good or better than BG3 if I had to choose. Fortunately I chickened out and put it at #4 because I made up a rule for myself that the top 3 had to go to more recent games.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Bloodborne will be #1 again when they do a PC port. Maybe that's why the elden ring dlc is so delayed.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
drat thought ff16 did well for a ps5 exclusive but didn't think it'd get beat by a ps4 exclusive!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Shard posted:

I have finished it 3 times and have 5 different save files going between the copy I bought on my computer and ps5.

Atoramos posted:

Such a tremendous amount of work and content, so many unique and niche things to discover, and incredible acting. RPGs will be compared to this for years to come.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

loving hell I haven't seen a game so well executed in many, many years. It stands out particularly given the increasing number of triple-A disappointments.

Ulio posted:

I loved every second of it. If anyone told me the best part of a turn based game would be it's combat, I would call you crazy. But here we are.

Songbearer posted:

This game shouldn't have been good. It is leagues beyond good. It is disgustingly, insanely well crafted and made by a team that not only knew what they were doing, they wanted to show the rest of the industry HOW to do it.

Promethium posted:

I can see myself coming back to it many times in the future, especially with how it keeps being improved post-release.

Enrico la Spaniard posted:

It's difficult to express how important this game is. It represents what the modern industry is capable of, but consistently fumbles in accomplishing.

Jon Irenicus posted:

This is a love letter to the old school RPG with and updated modern sense of scale and adventure. More often than not your extremely dumb decisions will be rewarded and punished accordingly.

jusion posted:

You can do anything and be anyone in an incredibly immersive world that is gigantic.

iTrust posted:

To me, it delivered everything I wanted out of it and made a genre of game I love suddenly known about to the masses.

Anno posted:

Something definitive for a genre that's so singularly exceptional it makes you view some other games in a different light.

Overlord K posted:

I cant wait to do it all again next year with my friends after it has had even more patches and QoL content added to it.

Phenotype posted:

This was a masterpiece, an absolute triumph of game design, and its success shows the heights you can reach when you let a talented, creative dev team produce the best product regardless of the time it takes.

AngryBooch posted:

I was knee deep in a negotiation with a Hag that could go very wrong in any number of ways when I realized that these motherfuckers actually did it. They pulled it off. I was along for the ride for the next 80 hours after that.

xeria posted:

For me, it was always going to be this game.

MMF Freeway posted:

The super intricately detailed maps were such a joy to explore from the very start of the game all the way to the end.

exquisite tea posted:

It allows you to orient yourself in almost any direction and become wrapped up in a boundless adventure. The densely packed secrets and surprising interactions on every corner of the map both reward and test your curiosity in equal measure.

Baiard posted:

I spent so much time starting new playthroughs and thinking of new builds to play and how to address certain encounters.

SlothBear posted:

there is such a special joy in playing something you know was made by the same kind of nerd as you, for the certain type of nerd you are, and then see it become extremely popular.

bagrada posted:

Great graphics, gameplay, music, story, characters. A masterpiece really.

Cael posted:

a crowning achievement in the genre, 11 out of 10 because it goes up to 11.

Rosalind posted:

I played 400+ hours and I will easily put another 400 into it in 2024.

wash bucket posted:

A new era of 6 hour video essays is dawning.

Fix posted:

The game has in it so much possibility at a scale yet unseen in video games. That I can play a hundred, twenty hours of this video game to completion, turn on a television commercial for it, and not recognize 65% of the cutscenes shown in that commercial?

ChrisBTY posted:

I was curled into a ball, braced and ready to take the disappointment. But then it didn't disappoint. At all. It was almost everything I could have possibly asked for.

Commander Jebus posted:

There is absolutely nothing I can add to the discourse on this game that hasn't already been said better by others.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Nothing about this game feels like it should be possible. It feels like a trick of some sort. The choices you can make that are not just accounted for but accounted for beautifully seem infinite.

Barreft posted:

One of the best games I've ever played. I can't stop playing this game.

JackDarko posted:

The amount of reactivity in the world was incredible and made it feel like I was playing D&D with friends.

veni veni veni posted:

After 130 hours I am still thinking about the next 130 hours I want to put into it, and then the next. The game is just that good and that dynamic.

Arrrthritis posted:

The final product, however, filled me with such a sense of wonder and magic that it got me thinking "gently caress, I love playing video games."

Lucca Blight posted:

A stupid long RPG I can play with friends? Instant goty.

roomtwofifteen posted:

Every single design choice and gameplay element is cool as hell and super fun. I have not had a single un-fun moment playing this so far.

Foodchain posted:

It delivered on every expectation I had.

Levin posted:

I started my second run immediately after finishing my first which is incredibly rare.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Play Baldur's Gate 3. Then play it again so you can appreciate the massive amount of poo poo you missed and all the weird little variations accounted for.

01. Baldur’s Gate 3 (Larian) (2023)
971 points. Voted for 118 times. Appeared #1 fifty times. Average of 8.2

And that is the game!

Your number one Game of the Year 2023! 971 points is the second highest score garnered thus far, only about 240 behind Elden Ring. You loved Baldur's Gate III and I loved avoiding spoilers about it as much as possible! Oh do I want to play this game dearly, so much I started playing Baldur's Gate 1 just to catch up!

The goon who was closest to consensus was Baiard, who had all five of the top five within their own top five and almost in the same order. Well done Baiard!

I want to thank Rarity for introducing the Games forum to this thread idea way back in 2018. It has consistently been a source to find great games and connect with goons over this amazingly fun hobby and I hope this thread continues to appear and grow and help goons discover great games for years to come.

Most importantly though, I have to thank all of you. For submitting lists, for being part of the countdown and for helping to make this such a great fun time. 251 different lists with 751 unique games. This whole thing has gotten huge, but remained as fun as it ever has and it would not be possible without you.

Thank you for contributing and writing such lovely words about the games you enjoyed playing. I love to read them and I love to arrange them. This could not be done without you all joining in and I am ever grateful. You all rock :D

Well. This is it for another year. Start making them lists, start playing them games, and keep enjoying yourselves.

May our 2024 be as jam packed as our 2023.

The final 60, one last time:

60. Lost Judgment
59. Neon White
58. Metroid Prime Remastered
57. Star Ocean The Second Story R
56. Outer Wilds
55. Remnant II
54. Jagged Alliance 3
53. Astlibra Revision
52. Hollow Knight
51. Live a Live
50. Hunt Showdown
49. Wo Long Fallen Dynasty
48. Citizen Sleeper
47. Signalis
46. Yakuza Like A Dragon
45. Rogue Trader
44. Like a Dragon Garden: The Man Who Erased His Name
43. Cocoon
42. System Shock Remake
41. Misericorde Volume 1
40. Dwarf Fortress SE
39. Strangers of Paradise
38. Persona 5 Royal
37. Void Stranger
36. Dead Space Remake
35. Cassette Beasts
34. Xenoblades Chronicles 3
33. Final Fantasy VII Remake
32. David the Diver
31. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
30. Pikmin 4
29. My Time at Sandrock
28. Diablo IV
27. Ghost Trick
26. Talos Principle 2
25. Midnight Suns
24. Against the Storm
23. Elden Ring
22. Slay the Princess
21. Disco Elysium
20. Super Mario RPG
19. Pentiment
18. Pizza Tower
17. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
16. Theatrhymtnh Final Bar Line
15. Spider-man 2
14. The Case of the Golden Idol
13. Fire Emblem Engage
12. Resident Evil 4 Remake
11. Hi-Fi Rush
10. Lies of P
09. Alan Wake II
08. Street Fighter VI
07. Super Mario Wonder
06. Final Fantasy XVI
05. Octopath Traveller II
04. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
03. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
02. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
01. Bloodborne
01. Baldur's Gate III

Stunning!

Goodnight All :D

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Realizing that Link was getting a chance to catch Zelda's hand that he missed at the start of the game was :kiss:

veeg will cry at this

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
sorry veeg but your first answer is the only one we can accept. congratulations Bloodborne!!!!!!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Astarion is the bitchy gay goth friend I never knew I needed in my life.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ALL HAIL LARIAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMo7ugWudCA

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

good morning. did i miss anything?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

veeg will cry at this

100%

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Thank you, VG. Couldn't have done it without you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thank you chief!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Top shelf Veeg. Cheers for your work! :boonie:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Incredible, thank you Veeg, what an amazing thread yet again. BG3's points total is crazy, I didn't think anything would get that close to Elden Ring, let along so soon!

Edit: And thank you everybody for your great lists, I discover so many amazing games through this thread each year :)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Robots top 3!!!!!!!!!!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

gently caress yeah hail to the king

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Thank you so much Veeg, Rarity, and everyone that participated! Such a wonderful success this has all been!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Infinitum posted:

Top shelf Veeg. Cheers for your work! :boonie:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought BG3 and TOTK were almost neck and neck, but it actually wasn't even particularly close! And TOTK was a full ~300 points ahead of AC6.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

good morning. did i miss anything?

Valkyrie Profile got the same point total as Forspoken

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i see FROM has done it again!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Fuckin' aces. If GOTY 6ers are being handed out gimme one plz.

Glad to have given my vote to the GOAT, but would have been just as happy if OT2 or ToTK had gotten first (or even AC6 though I didn't get to play that one)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
a fun time as always. looking forward to playing some of these a year late as usual

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well done VG! Looking forward to seeing if we have any stats posted this year but otherwise, see y'all in 12 months.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Video games are so back

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think basically every year is good for games these days, but drat, that’s a fuckin’ year right there. Kinda wild how good games are these days for there being so many of them.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Top 20 Average Score list
AKA goons who played them really loved them - list
AKA you should probably play these games - list:

52. Hollow Knight – 8.8
38. Persona 5 – Royal 8.7
53. Astlibra Revision – 8.6

29. My time at Sandrock – 8.3
01. Baldur’s Gate 3 – 8.2
19. Pentiment - 8.2
56. Outer Wilds – 8.2
33. Final Fantasy 7 remake – 8
34. Xenoblade chronicles 3 - 7.8
59. Neon White – 7.8

04. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty – 7.7
09. Alan Wake 2 – 7.7
21. Disco Elysium – 7.7
10. Lies of P – 7.6
50. Hunt: Showdown – 7.6
02. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 7.5
40. Dwarf Fortress - 7.5
46. Yakuza – Like a Dragon 7.5
03. Armored Core 6 – 7.4
08. Street Fighter 6 – 7.1

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Once again, veeg, thank you so much for all your hard work running the poll and making these great pieces of art and hilarious badges, and thank you to the hundreds of passionate goons who posted your lists and wrote such great words on the things you loved. This is a fantastic community and I love being a part of it.

Please may I get a big ‘ands sixer?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Thanks to everyone who participated but especially to Veeg for doing all the work!! It's wild to see this thread getting more and more popular

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I didn't have time to post a list this year, so the results are null and void. Time for a re-do, sorry gamers

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BG3 GOTY probe with this image, please!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Thank you VG
Thank you Rarity

I left SA before the GOTY was a thing, and now it's what drew me back and got me posting again. So thank you, goons, for posting about your favorite games of the year. My wishlist is now 14 games longer.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

didn't get quoted, oh well

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

If we're doing goty sixxers I'll have the best rpg from Japan badge please veeg

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was fun seeing Hunt Showdown popping up a non insignificant amount of times this year despite being a 5 year old game. Hopefully the engine update coming soon propels it even more onto peoples radars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Arist posted:

didn't get quoted, oh well

Here you go