Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

welp i missed it all and it's 14º outside. am i in hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well I missed the whole countdown due to timezones but I just finished reading it all. Only got quoted once this year what a rip off! (Jk I love you VG).

If we're doing the annual probations I want one for Octopath Traveler 2. #1 in my heart.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

fridge corn posted:

Here you go

ty

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Arist posted:

didn't get quoted, oh well

here you go, fam.
edit: lol, late.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Glad everyone had fun coming up with lists, see everyone next year. :patriot:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
woke up just in time to binge through it right after the finale was posted, good timing. Excellent list, though hi-fi rush not cracking the top ten is a shame, and pizza tower, well, maybe one day it'll be ported all over and people will find out The Truth. with there being ports on the horizon for hi-fi rush, hopefully more people will play it and find out what a joy it is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

You guessed the top 5 perfectly! You should get a badge.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Thank you VG for organizing. Thanks to all the goons that pour all that time and effort into getting each other pumped about good games. This is bar none my favorite thread on the forums every year, and if I didn’t have chronic ADHD that causes me to not finish stuff I’d post. Maybe next year I’ll share some bad opinions with everyone, but for now I’ll just say this past year and this thread were both incredible. Games are good people.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I promise to play all of these high-rated games as soon as I'm done with my 6th playthrough of BG3, this time with an Evocation Gnome Wizard instead of an Abjuration Gnome Wizard.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This was so much fun thank you!!!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Arist posted:

for getting all the top five correct. Apologies there were no quotes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

VideoGames posted:

for getting all the top five correct. Apologies there were no quotes.

:3:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Hats off to VG for doing the work.

Issaries posted:

Top 20 Average Score list
AKA goons who played them really loved them - list
AKA you should probably play these games - list:

52. Hollow Knight – 8.8
38. Persona 5 – Royal 8.7
53. Astlibra Revision – 8.6

29. My time at Sandrock – 8.3
01. Baldur’s Gate 3 – 8.2
19. Pentiment - 8.2
56. Outer Wilds – 8.2
33. Final Fantasy 7 remake – 8
34. Xenoblade chronicles 3 - 7.8
59. Neon White – 7.8

04. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty – 7.7
09. Alan Wake 2 – 7.7
21. Disco Elysium – 7.7
10. Lies of P – 7.6
50. Hunt: Showdown – 7.6
02. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 7.5
40. Dwarf Fortress - 7.5
46. Yakuza – Like a Dragon 7.5
03. Armored Core 6 – 7.4
08. Street Fighter 6 – 7.1

Another good list.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Arist posted:

I’m not a big CRPG guy. I’ve dipped my toes into Fallout 1 and Planescape: Torment for about an hour each, but I’ve never had major experience with the genre. This is my first real entry into this space, and I’ve gotta say: it was pretty incredible. There’s something wonderful about the incredible freedom and trust in the player here by the designers, the willingness to indulge so many possibilities and to let the audience fail or screw themselves over. It’s staggering. Hell, in Act II I found the main hub and near-immediately wandered into an encounter that killed everyone in that hub when I lost a fight (I reloaded, because, wow). The game feels incredibly alive in that way, there’s just so much going on.

Here you go. I liked this quote.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Curse of the Golden Idol cracked the Top 15 in an immensely stacked year. very blessed. loving love that game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

can't wait to read through the whole thread since work is probably cancelled :woop:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Arist posted:

Yep. I’m a rube, a sucker, a mark, whatever.

Here you go, buddy! Immortalized forever in the GOTY thread.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge posted:

The stupid rear end Pinocchio game rules and we all just have to learn to live with it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

This thread was loads of fun as always, and I can't wait to see all the interesting stats breakdowns.

But how did my own list match up? Last year I listed 5 games of the year and 5 honourable mentions, and of those, one of them made it to 51st place and none of the others placed at all. But maybe this year I'm more in tune with the goon gaming zeitgeist?

lmao no

(HM) Strange Horticulture: DNP (3 points)
(HM) Kandria: DNP (0 points)
(HM) Shadow Tactics: Aiko's Choice: DNP (0 points)
(7) The Void Rains Upon Her Heart: DNP (17 points)
(6) Waves of Steel: DNP (9 points)
(5) Fae Tactics: DNP (6 points)
(4) Ender Lilies: DNP (12 points)
(3) System Shock Remake : #42
(2) Ghostrunner: DNP (10 points)
(1) Cloudbuilt: DNP (10 points)

Honestly, I expect this experience to continue most years, because I very rarely buy games in the year they're released and it seems like that's when most goons play them. But this thread always gives me a big stack of interesting games to watch out for in future years.

bagrada posted:

Bloodborne will be #1 again when they do a PC port. Maybe that's why the elden ring dlc is so delayed.

Yes :argh: Bloodborne looks super rad but I'm never going to get a PS4 or PS5, so I'm going to have to wait until either they release it on PC or PS4 emulation becomes viable, and if they haven't released it yet I'm honestly not betting on which one of those happens first.

Ineffiable posted:

STP is probably one of the biggest surprise breakout hits I've seen this year.

I know! A bunch of friends recommended it to me but they're all people with fairly niche tastes in games, so seeing it listed by so many people here was surprising. I'm stoked to play it sometime in 2026 though.

wuggles posted:

it's the year of the shmup. sorry but my google doc says so

Not year of the shmup until Void Rains hits 1.0, IMO. :colbert:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I played Strange Horticulture a couple years back and I thought it was great, perfect chill little rainy day game. :)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I played Strange Horticulture a couple years back and I thought it was great, perfect chill little rainy day game. :)

I agree, it's absolutely lovely and I think I'll play it again. Don't play it when already sleepy though or it's a ticket to dreamland.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you all right back :)

Just wanted to say that your post about Baldur's Gate III had me enthralled and desperate to play it. I read out the chunk you wrote about the cave to LVG and she nodded and said 'I know, you're going to love that game'.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

welp i missed it all and it's 14º outside. am i in hell?

i just woke up and wondered why people in the ps5 thread were all probed. i missed it too! ugh

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
please hit me with a probe for the most gamer amount of time, a fortnight

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

VideoGames posted:

02. Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo) (2023)
763 points. Voted for 102 times. Appeared #1 twenty-eight times. Average of 7.5

Nintendo apparently hit a homerun of a Zelda game with this one, and I need to play it myself this year after having hit up so many of the other major Zeldas. Seriously, the gushing about this game (and pretty much all of the 751 games) has been a joy to read.

It put up a huge fight against the top spot but ultimately, more people played and loved the number #1 game and of course, it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNCgpaMlOcs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

please probe me with this

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arist posted:

FWIW, I loving loved your list

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

fridge corn posted:

If we're doing goty sixxers I'll have the best rpg from Japan badge please veeg

Same. I'd never be able to live with myself if I missed this opportunity. TURN BASED IS TURN BEST; JRPGS FOREVER!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Final standing for my list!

Fifteen of Many posted:

10. Spiritfarer (9 points, runner up)
9. Resident Evil 3 Remake (Did Not Place)
8. Final Fantasy Tactics (Did Not Place
7. Nioh 2 (16 points, runner up) and Final Fantasy Origin Stranger of Paradise (#39)
6. Horizon Forbidden West (base game, Did Not Place)
5. Control (Did Not Place)
4. The Last of Us (7 points, runner up)
3. Lies of P (#10)
2. Vampire Survivors (37 points, runner up)
1. Tears of the Kingdom (#2)

I’ve got Alan Wake 2, Baldur’s Gate 3 and Armored Core VI on my slate for the first half of this year!

Thanks for organizin this Veeg!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

While you're handing out probes, could you slap me with this one please? :comfyoot:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

holy cannoli a very kind goon gifted me Phantom Liberty???

goons are the most generous people I can't handle this :unsmith:

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Ooh can I get a commemorative probe with the ToTK as #2 picture?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

plz leave the thread open until page 69 ty

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Was fun seeing Hunt Showdown popping up a non insignificant amount of times this year despite being a 5 year old game. Hopefully the engine update coming soon propels it even more onto peoples radars.

Yeah, that's actually pretty wild. It's like Fortnite for 40 year olds

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hey wow what a surprise i slept through the whole thing! i'm allowed!

here's how my list ended up:

pentiment - #19 (116 points) (quoted)
baldur's gate 3 - #1 (971 points)
lies of p - #10 (251 points)
armored core 6 - #3 (442 points)
lords of the fallen - (7 points)
harvestella - (8 points)
street fighter 6 - #8 (255 points)
nioh 2 - (16 points)
wild hearts - (2 points, from me)
wo long - #49 (47 points)

i'm the only one who liked Wild Hearts!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Going to give the Special Award to Game with Highest Average Score that was mentioned by more than one person to The Making of Karateka

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I only got quoted for Xenoblade 3 but it's all good, as much as I loved TotK I think other people wrote much better words about it than I did. Congrats thread, see y'all next year for FF14 Dawntrail GotY (unless Silksong comes out)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was sad that only two games on my list placed but then I remembered my list was 7 retro games and one tiny indie nobody else had heard of, plus the two that placed

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 13, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Super Inactive posted:

I heard we can put up random top 10 lists. And I wanted to get this in before the results. So here's my Top 10 Crying Moments in Final Fantasy XVI!

When I see someone or something cry in any media, I will also cry. But you know, stoically. Therefore I appreciate any media that normalizes crying. I often compared this game to the Witcher 3 while playing. But I don't remember Geralt crying. I won't forget this game since there are at least 24 instances of people crying. It was painful enough pruning them down to 10. So the following list is presented in the order they appear in the game. Obviously MASSIVE SPOILERS are included so you should not view them unless you have completed the game, have no intention of playing the game, or don't care about spoilers.

1.) Act 1 - Under the moonlight

The first instance of crying and sets up a motif for Jill and Clive throughout the game. I especially like how flustered Clive becomes once he sees this.

2.) Act 1 - "Chin up, lad. You're going to be a soldier."

The first instance of Clive crying and also sets up a motif of sorts. Rewatching this scene helped me realize that Anabella was the precursor to the final boss.

3.) Act 2, Bromance 1 - "Get dressed. Pretty as you are, you're not my type."

You get a good dose of Clive's posterior early in this scene. Then it goes rage, begging, rage again, then the crying. I think we're about to see the beginning of something special.

4.) Act 2 - "I can think of none better...than you."

Welp. The start of the game is pretty rough for Clive. It's a shame we didn't get to see more banter between the two because the writing was fire. Fortunately it's not the only bromance in the game.

5.) Act 3 - "I shall open the gates of hell that thou mightst see thy charge once more!"

I was really confused at the beginning of this scene. Jill appeared to be as well. I don't like Byron. But the hesitant transition from disbelief to joy is very moving. I only realized now how well the quote fits the scene.

6.) Act 3 - Dion is best boy (according to my wife)

And that's what lead to his tragedy. This scene had a great reveal and it ends with Annabelle wailing in the background. But at what cost?

7.) Act 3 - Then he walked her home gently

Torgal always knows what's up and immediately goes to sleep at the beginning of this scene. They kept teasing these two together but who knew they would go so far? Jill is a good character but unfortunately she does not fit into the main relationship of the game.

8.) Act 3 - Then actual main relationship

Clive is crying more beautifully at the beginning of this scene. But I thought this moment better captured his wails of sorrow. You may have thought that FF15 was the only FF game about brotherhood. But it turns out this game was about the same thing. I've also realized Clive got three of his powers through hugs.

9.) Ending - This is my boyfriend Clive, and this is his boyfriend Gav

I wanted to include an image of Clive and Gav hugging it out, but it didn't make the cut. It was sweet to see how their relationship developed throughout the course of the game. Did you notice that he looks like Ramza?

10.) Ending - The moonlight is over

I included this image to represent my interpretation of the ending. I also did not like ambiguity for the sake of ambiguity. However I choose to believe in Jill's quote describing Clive, "That no matter how terrible the night...dawn would always come. And Torgal howls when dawn comes. And I've already explained that Torgal know's what's up.

love this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Going to give the Special Award to Game with Highest Average Score that was mentioned by more than one person to The Making of Karateka

I bought this game because of this thread. It rules. Will be on my 2024 list for sure.

It's currently on sale for $15 on PSN. Well worth it at that price (and the usual $20 too).