Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought they were carried by their incredibly good level design as much as anything else. The aesthetics were sublime but it wouldn't have have had close to the resonance it did if it didn't have a strong gameplay core

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

No Dignity posted:

I thought they were carried by their incredibly good level design as much as anything else. The aesthetics were sublime but it wouldn't have have had close to the resonance it did if it didn't have a strong gameplay core

Yeah that's true enough.

When the Prime remaster came out, I noticed a lot of newer players were expecting something more kinetic - like someone said before, the genre's funnelled towards having a high technical ceiling and lots of mobility options and so on, so I don't know if people want another Prime game where you trudge around the world like a robot and all the bosses are basic Zelda whack-a-mole stuff.

Whether it's 2D or 3D, I really want the next game to shake up the upgrades - not "move the morph ball further down the upgrade chain" but go wild with new and different abilities.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Super Metroid had the option of turning off upgrades that I don’t believe was ever fully exploited. You never really needed to unless you were handicapping yourself. Having a low-grav biome where High Jump was a liability or another biome where speed booster and plasma ignited the environment could be fun. I mean there are certain upgrades that never make sense to turn off but I wish Super leaned into that more and other games expanded on.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
There are like 2 places in Super where I used to turn off the high-jump boots as a kid because I'd otherwise hit the ceiling and miss a jump.

Also Super is the only game that has reserve tanks, which I know have some niche use for speedrunners or whatever but for 99% of players they're pointless.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm old and lovely, so while I enjoyed the challenge of Dread, it's nice to play Super and be a giant tank lady who wrecks everything.

I love that old Nintendo Power article that showed Samus as a 6'3, 198lbs powerhouse. She didn't need to dodge poo poo.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Fusion turning that around and having a monster hunt Samus with her original OP powers was a lot of fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would love to see a modern remake of Fusion that amped up the SAX a bit instead of it being only in 1-2 predefined segments. Though I guess to some degree that is just the robots from Dread except not necessarily insta-kill.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ImpAtom posted:

I would love to see a modern remake of Fusion that amped up the SAX a bit instead of it being only in 1-2 predefined segments. Though I guess to some degree that is just the robots from Dread except not necessarily insta-kill.

Resident Evil 2 but with Ms. X instead of Mr. X

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, Super Metroid came out relatively late in the SNES era and most big titles had pivoted away from bullshit difficulty, Nintendo even more than most. SMB3 and SMW were vastly easier than SMB1 (let alone the original "Lost Levels" SMB2.) Nintendo can and did design games to be accessible and beatable (if not necessarily easily) for casual players.

Super Metroid's design demonstrates very clear and deliberate difficulty tuning, probably best illustrated by the major boss battles. Every major boss is noticeably harder than the last one despite your growing powerup collection, until you get to Mother Brain, who is primarily a cinematic battle and is much easier than most of the rest. There's enough going on that you can't just sleepwalk through the fight and it feels much more fraught than it actually is, but the game is very obviously designed so that having made it this far it's not really going to try to stop you from seeing the end.

One thing I've seen talked about by game designers is false pressure. That is, the game making you feel like you're at the edge of your rope to give you the excitement of a comeback victory, without actually making you repeat things too much. An example used was the original Plants Versus Zombies, where you get a bonus "life" in every lane with the lawnmowers, but the zombies getting through once still feels like enough of a loss to increase the adrenaline high.

It's part of why life systems can be very good. You "lose a life" and feel like you're in the poo poo now, but since you've got, like, eight more you can still get through and enjoy victory.

Nintendo's done a lot of work on those lines, and the final fight in Super Metroid demonstrates it fairly well. If you got that far, it's hard to lose, but you still feel like you're struggling for every inch. The wires show more on replays, as is pretty much inevitable, but it's a good game all the same.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SettingSun posted:

Fusion turning that around and having a monster hunt Samus with her original OP powers was a lot of fun.

Yeah, that ruled. I didn't generally like the structure of Fusion with all the :words: and being ordered around (and Other M made all of that worse retroactively), but that first SA-X sighting told me everything I needed to know about the SA-X: it's a clone of endgame Super Metroid Samus and it will wreck my poo poo. Building up the strength to fight it was a great carrot to chase.

The EMMI didn't work for me because they were like, "here's this new enemy. It is made of Space Aluminum XQ2 and it is crazy powerful, so you should fear it. Also they look loving stupid." The EMMI are Jiren from Dragon Ball Super, basically.

Shine fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 13, 2024

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Right. If the EMMIs did one thing wrong is that late game Samus was still no match for them. They were still utterly invincible. There should have been a final fight where you can go toe-to-toe with one without resorting to tricks or hyper beams. Just a straight-up, "You got me good at the beginning but I'm not that person anymore" throwdown. The fact that you could hurt/defeat Raven Beak (who literally manhandled the first EMMI per the wall art) but not any of the EMMIs themselves isn't quite a plot hole but is hard to reconcile.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Being able to fight an EMMI normally near endgame or whatever would've been a good swerve.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, murdering the last one in a cutscene was nice but not quite the same.

They always could have done both; have a real fight against the penultimate one to show how far you've come, then have one more that just gets deleted without a fight to show you've gone even further beyond.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I have to assume that an EMMI fight was cut from the game along with a bunch of other boss fights we know were cut and replaced with infected chozo

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

FooF posted:

The fact that you could hurt/defeat Raven Beak (who literally manhandled the first EMMI per the wall art) but not any of the EMMIs themselves isn't quite a plot hole but is hard to reconcile.
What wall art?

And Raven Beak was still able to defeat Samus in non-Metroid superpower combat. There's a whole cutscene right before she becomes too angry to die where he taunts her about this. She uses Metroid power to defeat powerbomb EMMI and Ravenbeak.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

kaschei posted:

What wall art?

And Raven Beak was still able to defeat Samus in non-Metroid superpower combat. There's a whole cutscene right before she becomes too angry to die where he taunts her about this. She uses Metroid power to defeat powerbomb EMMI and Ravenbeak.

They mean the unlockable art, one of which shows Raven Beak after he just curbstomped the now-broken EMMI that you run into in the game.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

They mean the unlockable art, one of which shows Raven Beak after he just curbstomped the now-broken EMMI that you run into in the game.

Yes, that’s the one. I presume it means Raven Beak actually fought it (his arm cannon is still smoking) and didn’t rely on subterfuge. Again, it would have been nice for Samus to beat one fair-and-square toward the end.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess narratively Dread doesn't want to be a story about the fun and empowerment of upgrading yourself with cool new weapons, and it might be intentional for the EMMIs to end in an anticlimax, since at the end, Samus's battle rage transmutes her into a monster. Becoming stronger came at a cost.

Not that I think Dread was particularly making a good narrative decision with that. Metroid is great with atmosphere, but I'm not sure I really like the stories. Might have to replay to form a better idea about it.

Metroid Fusion took a more conventional angle on that with the stalking, looming threat of the SA-X becoming the final boss fight, and that wasn't very fun to me. I don't think that Metroid's mechanics are very good for extended battles with a same-size enemy. (although a large part of my difficulty was the fact that the game locks you out of collecting the rest of the upgrades if you get too close to the final boss).

Maybe they could've done a thing with the EMMI's plugging into a larger, more fightable master system? Another Mother Brain? Technically you do kill most EMMIs in more of a puzzley system, maybe they could've had a big more puzzley boss? The Omega Cannon is also kind of a shaggy dog story.

FooF posted:

The fact that you could hurt/defeat Raven Beak (who literally manhandled the first EMMI per the wall art) but not any of the EMMIs themselves isn't quite a plot hole but is hard to reconcile.

It might be funny if you could kill an EMMI if you dished out the same amount of damage that Raven Beak takes.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

No Dignity posted:

Metroid ahotuld either kill or completely rework space jump imo, in the 2D games it basically just ends platforming outside of shinespark puzzles which is just a net negative

There's an LP going right now of a Super Metroid romhack where the Space Jump gives you an extra jump when you find it and then there's expansions for more. We'll see whether getting all of them makes it infinite, but I really like this as a tradeoff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

dread already had you getting a double jump as a stopgap before getting the space jump later on

getting rid of the space jump entirely would suck. part of the fun is traversal getting easier as you progress in the game.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
There's a reason the Igavania Space Jump equivalent launches you up like a rocket instead. Doing big vertical rooms with the Gravity Boots/Griffin Wing never gets old.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I never really thought of this, but I don't really understand why not one game gave us a jetpack instead of an awkward Jump Forever upgrade.

You're tellin' me she looked at pirates in jetpacks and didn't want one?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I never really thought of this, but I don't really understand why not one game gave us a jetpack instead of an awkward Jump Forever upgrade.

You're tellin' me she looked at pirates in jetpacks and didn't want one?

Prime 2 kinda did and it was sick

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

No Dignity posted:

Prime 2 kinda did and it was sick
Wasn't that only underwater?

I do remember it being super fun, though. 'Bout the only enjoyment I got out of that game.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

TaurusOxford posted:

To be the tiniest bit fair, Raven Beak literally has the hyper beam for his arm cannon, so of course he can hurt the emmis in the same way Samus can when she has an equivalent (temporary) power up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Dread race at GDQ was super fun.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it possible to kill Drogyga before Kraid? In the arena with everything but the diffusion beam, and I can't get the buttons to lower the water level.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it possible to kill Drogyga before Kraid? In the arena with everything but the diffusion beam, and I can't get the buttons to lower the water level.
Two fast charges, or mashing really fast with wide beam work to trigger the buttons.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
replaying super metroid and man it's crazy how good this game is. flawless.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

hughesta posted:

replaying super metroid and man it's crazy how good this game is. flawless.

Except for the god-awful default control scheme, but that can be changed at least.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mind over Matter posted:

Except for the god-awful default control scheme, but that can be changed at least.
If I’m going to play on Switch emulation, what’s the best control scheme? Or can I not change it? In which case, welp, lol

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Xenomrph posted:

If I’m going to play on Switch emulation, what’s the best control scheme? Or can I not change it? In which case, welp, lol

Luckily it's changeable right in the game itself, so you can do it on the Switch yes. (But not in the SP version, because that one throws you directly into a game in progress instead of the title screen.)

My personal recommendation is something a little closer to Dread's control scheme: Y to shoot, B to jump, A to dash, X to item cancel.

But really pick whatever works for you, I just know I could never play will with the default setup myself.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mind over Matter posted:

The only thing I want from a Super Metroid remake is the original game with a modern control scheme.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You are wrong to want that. 25 years of speedrunning excellence have proven that Super Metroid's controls are beautifully nuanced.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xenomrph posted:

My biggest thing is changing one of the shoulder buttons to run with the other one being aim diagonally up (or down? I can’t remember). Then do B jump, Y shoot, A item and X item cancel.

I wish SM had the ability to hold a shoulder button and then hit up or down to aim diagonally, that’s really nice in the later games.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can't really find a defense for the weapon switching. Everything else being adjustable saves the rest of the controls from criticism.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

DoctorWhat posted:

You are wrong to want that. 25 years of speedrunning excellence have proven that Super Metroid's controls are beautifully nuanced.

you can Speedrun deeze nuts, I shouldn't have to twist my fingers into a pretzel just to switch weapons

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

I can't really find a defense for the weapon switching. Everything else being adjustable saves the rest of the controls from criticism.

:emptyquote:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Saying something is fine for speedrunners seems to me like it's basically the opposite of saying something is good in day to day play among the masses. Speedrunners would dance on razors if it was the way to take half a second off their best time. Which is fine, more power to them. Doesn't mean the rest of us want to slice our feet up, though.

Edit: That said, I agree that the ability to customize most of it goes a long way in this case.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
I strongly recommend moving "weapon select" to a face button, and moving "weapon cancel" to select. You press weapon select a lot more often, so it should go somewhere easier to reach. I don't make any changes other than that, the defaults work well once you get used to it.